main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Sith as rulers of the galaxy?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The One Above All, Oct 17, 2017.

1. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010

He never said that he had it, he said that Anakin could not learn it from a jedi and that he was sure that 'working together' they could discover the secret. So he never lied to him.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He made it clear that he was the student of Darth Plagueis in his conversation with Anakin - at least in the novelization. Even in the movie, there are overtones of it:

"My mentor taught me everything about the Force - even the nature of the dark side"
    "Only through me can you achieve a power greater than any Jedi! Learn to know the dark side of the Force, and you will be able to save your wife from certain death."

Jedi Knight Fett and Ulicus like this.
  3. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    He implied he has it and then his statement of "if we work together" showed instead he did not have it.

4. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010

Still less of a lie then 'Darth Vader killed your dad' from Obi-wan

5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    "I have the power to save the ones you love. You must choose".

Pretty explicit.

Moments later:

"The power to cheat death only one has achieved but if we work together, I know we will discover the secret"

So, yeah, Palpatine lied.

Sanguinius, Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    In the ROTS screenplay, Obi-Wan tells Padmé, "The Sith now rule the galaxy as they did before the Republic."

AusStig and RavagerFish like this.
  7. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I could dig the idea of the Sith, or rather, Sith teachings and various Sith warlords, dominating the Galaxy with a presence and ruling hand in almost every system or sector, with the Republic forming to resist them under the protection of the Jedi, slowly taking back or conquering territory piece by piece while the entire Galaxy is consumed by fratricidal warfare. The idea of such a diverse and volatile Galaxy falling largely under a single unified central government would make more sense if said government was formed initially as an anti-Sith coalition that grew so large that most of the member states became dependent upon a unified system for their enlarged populations and recovery period. It would also help to explain why the Galactic Republic eventually lacked a standing army.

Of course, Propaganda states that there *was* a predecessor state to the Galactic Republic, the "Old Republic" which fought at least two conflicts against the Sith and various other wars with the Mandalorians and the Zygerrians before the Jedi-Sith War, including a period of Sith rule on the OR's capital of Coruscant. I'd love it if a Darth Ruin style character lead a Sith Army to Coruscant and conquered it, but either he himself was rogue or oversaw a disorganized faction that couldn't quite control the whole Galaxy, than was killed in his moment of triumph. Maybe we should view a truly schismatic Galaxy, where eventually the Galactic Republic is born out of an alliance between the remaining Old Republic strongholds, various Reistance and rebellions in Sith space, and the forces of the (humbled and impressed) Mandalorians against a Sith Empire stuck in a kind of perpetual civil war, all guided by the Jedi.

8. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010

I like the idea of the Sith slowly crumbling to an alliance of Republic forces and rebels. Though not the Mandos I can never see them joining any form of Republic, I can see them falling into a devastating civil war over the issue. (Say one that turns their planet from jungle into what we see in TCW)

9. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    All of this.

Even though I knew it didn't mesh with the EU, when ROTS came out, I kind of liked the backstory implicit in Palpy's words that the galaxy had been a Sith playground once and then the Republic was formed and took it from them. The whole thing could then play out as a supernatural version of the last few centuries of European history, with the out of control dark wizards being the feudal lords and absolute monarchs, and the muggles being the serfs that are enfranchised/empowered in the new order of things.

(The Dresden Files plays with a theme like this once, IIRC, it's one I'd kind of like to see done more).

Ulicus and darklordoftech like this.