main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Sith Ascendancy [Spoilers and Fries with Everything]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Thrawn McEwok, Jan 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Yep. It's a continuity fix, with speculation and potential spoilers for everything from the deepest of deep KotOR backstory through to The Swarm War and beyond... most of the intelligent thought underpinning this suggestion is the result of shuffling ideas around with someone who has the good taste not to post on these boards - the wacky, eccentric stuff, though, is pure Ewok...

So, for old times' sake...

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

Okay... now, to start with, these will probably seem rather disaggregated remarks, arranged in a roughly chronological order... ;) [face_mischief] :)

Significantly before the KotOR timeframe, a group of "Dark Jedi" conquered, and interbred with, the Sith race... they established a "Sith Empire" ruled by "Dark Lords of the Sith", in the far-flung reaches of the Galaxy beyond the frontier of the Old Republic... in the KotOR timeframe, this Sith Empire and its Mandalorian allies clashed with the Old Republic in a series of wars...

But at the end of KotORII, this "Sith Empire" is revealed to be substantially intact, and located in the Unknown Regions...

Two thousand years before the Galactic Civil War, a new "Sith War" began, a conflict which lasted for a thousand years, and ended with the destruction of Lord Kaan and Lord Hoth's armies on Ruusan... after this, the Old Republic and the Jedi Order were reformed, and the Sith went into hiding... though it is unclear what relationship either the enemies of the Republic in these long wars, or the post-Ruusan "Sith Order" bore to the "Sith Empire" last heard of millennia earlier in the Unknown Regions...

At around the same time as the end of this "Sith War", a millennium before the Galactic Civil War, we have the earliest defined date in the history of the Chiss, when they began to fortify the Redoubt Cluster against unspecified enemies.

Around thirty years before the start of the Galactic Civil War, several things happened, though in no clear order.

1. The Yuuzhan Vong began squadron-strength scouting missions into the GFFA.

2. A battle or sequence of engagements occurred involving: the Jedi-led Outbound Flight Project which was exploring the Unknown Regions; Kinman Dorian, an agent of Darth Sidious, the Master of the "hidden" Sith Order that had emerged from the rubble of Ruusan, who had orders to destroy Outbound Flight; and a patrol group of the Chiss Expansionary Defence Force, led by Commander Mitth'raw'nuruodo.

3. The Chiss dramatically accelerated their fortification of the Redoubt Cluster.

A little over years later, a Victory-class Star Destroyer of the Imperial Fleet encountered Mitth'raw'nuruodo, who Palpatine had been actively seeking in the interim. The former Chiss officer had apparently been exiled for his urging of "preemptive strikes" against enemies.

Thrawn was recruited by the Empire, and, according to Mara Jade, recieved a "secret promotion" to Grand Admiral. Palpatine seems to have sent him back to the Unknown Regions, although his mission and the size of his initial command remain unclear.

Here, apparently the first species he encountered were barbarian raiders known as Ebruchi. In retrospect, the asymmetrical patchwork aesthetic of Ebruchi clothes would seem to have been influenced by that of the Chiss...

Shortly before the Battle of Hoth, Thrawn was assigned Darth Vader's Noghri Death Commandos. It is an interesting piece of SW trivia that Tim Zahn originally intended these to be the Sith species - with Thrawn, by implication, as Vader's successor as Dark Lord...

A few months after the Battle of Endor, the forty-four Star Destroyers of Black Sword Command, ranging in size from VSDs to three SSDs, vanished from the Koornacht Cluster. Detailed review of the fragmentary evidence surviving after the defeat of the Duskhan League suggests the bulk of these ships did not, in fact, find their way into Yevethan hands.

Simultaneously, Director of Intelligence Ysanne Isard staged a coup on Coruscant, and subsequently "disappeared" man

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    All that and you're basically saying "Chiss = Sith" ?

Brilliant.

3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [Spock voice]Fascinating..[/Spock voice]

I've not really followed the KotOR saga, but I must say that I feel the need to bash the NJO authors repeatedly about the mazzard for dropping this allusion to a threat from the Unknown Regions. *whew* Talk about run-on sentences! :p

An interesting theory, indeed! :cool:

EDIT: Y'know, I'd envisioned something similar when I noticed that Endor was on the edge of the Unknown Regions. It might've been Lord Sidious' plan to crush the Rebellion, and then send his Apprentice -whichever Skywalker that might be ;) into the Unknown Regions with a shiny new Death Star to show the "old school" Sith what for.

I even dreamt up an RPG campaign set in post-RotJ times that had Darth Sidious' master surviving (barely) the battle with his erstwhile apprentice, and then fleeing to the UR to re-establish a Sith Empire. I'd even envisioned said deposed Sith Lord as a Chiss....

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Chiss are blue, not pink, and they lack the hideous deformities that Sith possess... and their acumen is far superior to the average dull Sith.

They are also nigh perfect in their physical form--I'd suggest that Chiss are the polar opposite of the Sith.

5. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    you've put your best into your theorys as usaul great job,but have you considered the smurfs as the villian. :p

6. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Simple fix -- divergent evolution, coupled with whatever hard radiations the "Chiss colonists" had been soaking up, or something close to it.

In our own world, the same process of divergent evolution/speciation which was responsible for the dissimilarities which exist between Northern Europeans and beavers or orangutans also created the dissimilarities between Northern Europeans and, say, the Congoids or the ethnic Chinese.

So it could happen.

Looking at the galactic map, though, one big, major question remains: whither Ziost, and the other ancient Sith throneworlds? We see Ziost in one of the Young Jedi Knights books, but it drops out of sight the instant one finishes Golden Age of the Sith. Could it once again have become the rightful Sith capitol, seeing as how the vast breadth of the original empire went unmolested by the Republic for some 1,049 years and change?

And the precise boundaries of the "true" Sith Empire sought by Revan aren't exactly demarcated in the game. All we mainly have is a general direction that he took, which is presumably the same route that we see the Ebon Hawk taking in that final shot.

Still, Yaga Minor is far to the "galactic northwest" from Ziost and Korriban; Thrawn's interceptor fleet outfitted by Doriana and Palpatine would've had to have hustled their chuffs outside their territory to catch the Outbound Flight, which itself skirted well beyond the sealed Sith Empire borders. Who knows...there could be some locus where *both* sets of variables could work -- the Chiss placement, coupled with enough proximity to the Sith territories to allow for Thrawn's early movements.

7. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    The Chiss and Sith might not be the same people, or the former descended from the latter. But they could have originally been one people that split apart in the years before the founding of the Republic.

I don't think those Charrics in KOTORII showed up purely by chance.

8. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Oh, how the mighty have fallen!

9. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Yup, the Charrics came from somewhere Chiss-relevant -- earlier, I posted their RPG stats from the game over in the "Official KOTOR and the EU" thread.

Another possible connector.

10. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    Interesting. I recall reading that the Chiss are descendants of human colonists after 25,000 years of seperation. 25,000 before Yavin the Republic is formed, blah blah blah. We all know the story... vaguely. And then we have the schism. Did all of the fallen Jedi colonize the same planet? And if they didn't they still could have kept in communication.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    But could humans mutate into Chiss in only 25,000 years? It usually takes longer for something like that to happen, even in Star Wars.

12. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Wow. That post kicked all forms of Jedi ass.

You know, Thrawn, now I'm not sure if I think your crazy or a genius.... :_| But who's to say there is some distinguishable line dividing sanity from insanity? :p

13. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    There's isn't. 'Insanity' is a legal term. :p

To reply: McEwok, once more a far-reaching and well-crafted theory. Bravo! =D= But a question: What if these Sith cum Chiss are 'sepratists' of the original Sith themselves? That this 'blood-freezing threat' is in fact their forebears, whom they fled or were exiled from?

14. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Or it could be the other way around. The Sith could have been renegade Chiss twisted by the darkside or something.

15. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    Does that imply Jag Fel is a clone?

Regardless, if Chiss equals/relates to Sith, Jag is serving the Sith order, emotionally tied to Jaina, who kind of went to the dark side in DJ, while her brother is the new Sith Lord according to some theories.

Nice setting for Dark Nest. Maybe Alderaan was destroyed for something else after all? Some evidence that the Chiss are Sith that Palpatine wanted to get rid off?

Of topic, Sith and Chiss easily merges to "Schiss" which has a certain meaning in German.

16. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    killfire: Does that imply Jag Fel is a clone?

No, sorry. :p

Maybe Alderaan was destroyed for something else after all?

Whoah.

:eek:

That's... amazing... :eek: :D

- The Imperial Ewok

17. SpeldoriontheBlended

SpeldoriontheBlended Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    killfire: Maybe Alderaan was destroyed for something else after all?

I like it! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.