main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Sith in Disney Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by CoolyFett, Dec 8, 2012.

1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yup... Fallen first, then recruited by Palpatine and became a Sith. One of the statues of the Fallen Jedi at the Temple is of Dooku.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah that's right! There was a deleted scene in AOTC of Kenobi in the library looking at the statues.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The "Lost Twenty" are 20 Masters that left the Order for one reason or another. Dooku was the 20th.

In the EU, Darth Ruin, the founder of (that iteration of) the Sith Order, was the first.

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, and part of that scene was not deleted... it made it in as the shot where Kenobi is looking at Dooku's statue for just a second before Jocasta Nu (librarian) walks up and asks if he needs help.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Good to know. Last time I saw AOTC was back in March.

6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    NIAWYC. I was simply making the observation that your view was pretty much spot-on, until GL decided to change things up, as is his right. So blame, credit, attribute, to-MAY-to, to-MAH-to; it’s just a word [face_coffee]

7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I think Dark Jedi don't tend to follow Sith teachings or the Sith Code, they just use the Force to do bad things.

Vader, Sidious and Co follow a religion just like the Jedi.

8. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    And you know this...how? [face_mischief]

9. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    In the movies, on the surface it might seem pretty black and white. It seems like you're either a Jedi or a Sith. But the reality of that logic is flawed.

Anakin, as a Jedi padawan used the dark side in his actions against the Tusken Raiders in AOTC and then as a Jedi Knight, by killing an unarmed Dooku in ROTS. However, neither of these acts make him a Sith immediately.

Luke also wrestled with the dark side on at least two occasions in ROTJ. (Choking scene at Jabba's palace and in his rage vs. Vader by protecting Leah)

Bringing the Sith back (ex - the Rule of Two, the Darth Bane line, the Darth Sidious Empire) starts with an idealogy and requires an invitation. Anakin accepted the invitation and this made him a Sith. Luke declined the invitation and this established him as a Jedi.

Post ROTJ, the Sith are extinct and bringing them back in the ST is a terrible and lazy choice. Disney has a real dilemma here: You need antagonists for your trilogy. But frankly, politicians and bounty hunters aren't that interesting with lightsabers. No, you need some force users who use the darkside. You need somebody powerful to oppose the new Jedi and Republic. But you definitely don't want the Sith to return because you've already completed that story.

I think they are going to have to invent a new darkside order.

10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The TPM novel establishes the Sith as a SPECIFIC ORGANIZATION of fallen Jedi, NOT a synonym for fallen Jedi.

11. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Which in the end begs the question what is the real difference? Especially to the average audience member? The average audience member has not read the darth bane trilogy. They have not done a ton of research on what makes Sith different form any other darkside. Therefore the average audience member will look at someone who looks like a sith, walks like a sith, talks like a sith, does things like a sith, but they are called a different name. In the end the lazy factor would feel the same to the average audience member. This is why I am honestly ok with a return of the sith because
    1. It is not that difficult to do and there is nothing story wise keeping them from it.
    2. Any main villain that is a dark side force user will basically be a sith anyway for the average audience member. If that is the case then just call it what it is for the average person. Or don't give them a name at all, and just call them a master of the dark side of the force.

It's fine if you think a return of the sith is lazy, but having another dark side user by a different organization name is just as lazy and the general audience will see it for exactly what it is. I really just want a good film with an intriguing villain that lasts through the whole trilogy. Go ahead and make him a sith, just make him/her compelling to watch.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Or, drop the "red vs blue & green" theme entirely.

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Those "average audience" people don't know what a Sith is.

14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It just the answer that makes the most sense.

Think about it, all Sith Lords from a certain point onwards gave themselves the "Darth" title plus and invented Sith name (Count Dooku becomes Darth Tyranus, Anakin Skywalker becomes Darth Vader and so on . Dark Jedi don't do that, Asajj Ventress is really called Asajj Ventress for example.

Remember in the old CW cartoon series that Ventress says "I am Sith" and then Dooku laughs at her? It's clear she is not Sith purely because she has red lightsabers and uses Dark Side Force powers.

Plus I read this :p

15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Not sure how this ties in, but Darth was just a name at one point.

16. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    That's kind of my point.

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I meant that they don't think all darksiders are Sith.

18. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    My point was changing the name would only make the general audience feel the concept to be lazy.

19. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    I was under the impression that the term "Sith" applies to anyone who uses the dark side of the Force to evil or selfish ends. Also, there are true "Sith", members of the Dath Bane Sith Order, direct disciples of the original Sith Lords. Also, the sith race, which are now extinct. I would mention a certain Darth Caedus, but I'm not allowed. ;)

20. startravellerearth

startravellerearth Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2012
    If there is gonna be a new sith now that Palpatine is gone. There can be a padawan from Luke's new Jedi order to master the dark arts of Palpatine in secret, behind Luke's back.

21. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    If I was writing the ST I would seriously consider having Leia fall to the dark side.
    I honestly think Carrie could sink her teeth into an evil character, more so than a distinguished representative of the republic. I don't know if I would do it, but I'd definintely roll it around in my mouth for a few weeks to see what I could come up with.

22. JediLight

May 31, 2001
    I think most SW fan's greatest fear is that the new trilogy will not preserve the integrity of the already-told story from I-VI. Having Leah turn to the dark side would be a terrible mistake and would be a sure way to cut off a large amount of fans.

@Fleab88 - I understand your POV, but I disagree. A darkside user doesn't have to a Sith.

23. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    So what you’re really saying is that the only difference between a Dark Jedi and a Sith Lord is that one of them says “party on,Wayne” and the other says “party on, Darth” :p Because all the other stuff you mentioned comes from sources that JASWMF –and by inference, Disney- either doesn’t really know about or doesn’t care about.

As has been stated above, if it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and acts like a duck, Occam ’s razor suggests that the best thing to do is just call it a duck.

24. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    That's not remotely close to what I said. The average audience member simply would not be able to tell the difference. It would be considered just as lazy as you think a return of the sith would be.

25. JediLight

May 31, 2001
    I really don't care about the average audience member. I just care that the writers protect the integrity of the Skywalker Story.

darklordoftech likes this.