main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Sith secret to immortality!

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by jvberggren, Jan 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jvberggren

jvberggren Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    i couldn't really find anything on this. so if this proves to be a theory that is redundant, then please lock.

the main difference between the sith and the jedi, in terms of what physical power they can control, is force lightning. the jedi have never implemented this technique in the obligatory training. why not? there could be different reasons for this:

1) they don't know how to do it.
    2) it's considered too dangerous.

anakin and obi wan probably don't expect force lightning when facing dooku because they've never experienced anything like this before. yoda seems prepared though... i guess either 1) or 2) can be possible. personally i believe yoda knows of this technique, but chooses not to use or teach it for a reason which i will explain later. so far i don't think there has been any satisfying explanation in the films as to why the jedi can do every trick but this one.

maybe yoda's line "much to learn you still have..." is really a comment about how dooku only thinks he controls this power, when he in fact only controls one aspect of it.

now... what is force lightning? it's electricity! not a starteling revelation, i'll admit, but nevertheless necessary to point out. electricity has the capacity to both take and extend life. perhaps this is the sith's secret to immortality... they have found a way to extract electricity and use it to recharge their cells and thus extend their lives.

sidious would be wise not to share this secret with his apprentices to a full extent. dooku is interested in power alone, so that is what he receives. sidious never tells him how to recharge his "batteries" because he's just a pawn. he may reveal this technique to anakin to give him incentives to join the dark side. in this case he would be wise not to teach anakin how to use force lightning to attack, because anakin's motivation is good. sidious is unsure about anakin and as long as there is good in him the possibility that he will turn on sidious exists. the point being that sidious only reveal one aspect of the power -the one that will motivate.

i guess you can all appreciate the danger that this power poses. if force lightning was just another power, then the jedi should have implemented it in their jedi training (that is if you believe that the jedi have the potential to use force lightning). yoda or the council for some reason never comment on this technique or seem surprised by it. could this be because they acknowledge that no person is ment to have this power...

if lucas made force potential into a question of the level of midi-chlorians, then he may very well explain the riddles to immortality in much the same ways.

2. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    electricity has the capacity to both take and extend life. perhaps this is the sith's secret to immortality... they have found a way to extract electricity and use it to recharge their cells and thus extend their lives.

With some minor tweaking, this is good.

I think the Sith draw on Force Energy (not so much *electricity* - but the idea is the same) to sustain themselves. Hence, The Emperor evaporates into a flashing whirlwind of FOrce Energy in ROTJ.

3. Helmet

Helmet Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 1, 2001
    How the Sith acheive immortality

They never do.

4. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    They never do

Hence, their failure.

That's not to say they don't have a philosophy about how it works.

5. jvberggren

Nov 8, 2004
    bad title. i agree! i'm sure you knew what i was trying to say though. in an act of good will i changed the title.

6. jvberggren

Nov 8, 2004
    wasn't lucas once interested in doing a feature animation on frankenstein once....

i know this doesn't prove anything, but perhaps his influence from frankenstein is greater than we think... i can certainly see the same theme going on here: the quest for immortality and control of life, and how it in the end will destroy you.

7. Pizza-the-Hutt

Pizza-the-Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    Jedi don't use force lightening because it's a darkside technique. It causes real suffering to the person being electrocuted and would go against their philosphy that the Force should be used for defense and never attack.

8. jvberggren

Nov 8, 2004
    It causes real suffering to the person being electrocuted

not sure i understand your idea of 'real' suffering here...

i don't really think that's a satisfactory explantion. clearly, force lightning can also be used for defensive purposes -just like a light saber. imo, a weapon is not inherently dark or evil.

i guess i can agree with those claiming that jedi don't know how to do it. to claim that they choose not to use it because it is dark or can only be used to attack people is illogical imo.

9. Lukesdogwalker

Lukesdogwalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 25, 2004
    The Jedi use the force for knowlege and defence. The lighting is for attacking only and this is not the way of the Jedi. Also it has been said that the Jedi and the Sith use and see things diferently in the force. They do not have the same skills that is why Yoda can not see Anakins downfall and Sids rise to power, while Sids can not sence Luke in ROTJ when Vader can. Thats what makes Anakin special he is the only one who can tap into both sides of the force. The lightnig is a Sith skill, the Jedi do not know how to do something like that but because Yoda is wiser he knows about it and how to deflect it.

10. Pizza-the-Hutt

Pizza-the-Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    " not sure i understand your idea of 'real' suffering here... "

As in much suffering.

11. jvberggren

Nov 8, 2004
    i can agree with a lot of what you just said. however, i don't believe as you do that The lighting is for attacking only

use your imagination. lightning can certainly be used as a defensive weapon...

edit: ok! i see what you mean. still, in the final analyzis a light saber can cause as much suffering as force lightning. i don't think one of them can really be considered worse than the other. it all depends on the individual using the weapon.

12. DarthBullGates

DarthBullGates Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    It causes real suffering to the person being electrocuted

Well sure, getting shocked is way more suffering than going through life without an arm.

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I doubt that the Lightning is the secret. It's probably summoning up the Force and using your will, to prolong your life.

14. thisdominicanguy

thisdominicanguy Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2004
    the Jedi do not use Force Lightning because they fight defensively; attack is the way of the Sith.

Maul and Anakin are relatively young Sith, they may not have learned the technique; Dooku, however, is old as dirt.

And life without an arm would blow.

fin

15. brooklynapprentice

brooklynapprentice Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 10, 2004
    Eat lean meats, maintain a healthy lifestyle.

16. Darth_MaulRat35

Darth_MaulRat35 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 16, 2003
    I think the Sith draw on Force Energy (not so much *electricity* - but the idea is the same) to sustain themselves. Hence, The Emperor evaporates into a flashing whirlwind of FOrce Energy in ROTJ.

Hey, Dawg. I thought that flash was the Kyber crystal being destroyed. :D

17. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Must be a problem with the so called Sith secret when Sidious met his end when Vader threw him down the shaft.

18. jvberggren

Nov 8, 2004
    the Jedi do not use Force Lightning because they fight defensively;

???. i may be stupid or something, but if you're going to claim this, then you need to explain how force lightning is a weapon that can't be used for defense. this is simply not correct. saying it is so doesn't prove anything!

19. Dad_Vader

Dad_Vader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 21, 2004
    like the topic...even if the Sith aren't immortal..Palps is definately OLD!!

My only problem with the initial post jvgerggren is that Obi-Wan WAS prepared for Dooku's use of force lightning!!!

I'm sure I'm not the only SW fan out there that was severely disappointed to see Obi-Wan's lightsabre easily absorb Dooku's force lightning.

So to set the record straight...The only people NOT prepared for Force Lightning were:
    A. Anakin (EPIII)
    B. Luke (EPVI)

Until later...

20. jonas_jade

jonas_jade Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2005
    I thought that flash was the Kyber crystal being destroyed.

It is....

isn't it?

21. jvberggren

Nov 8, 2004
    My only problem with the initial post jvgerggren is that Obi-Wan WAS prepared for Dooku's use of force lightning!!!

thought about putting that in, but came to the conclusion that obi wan wasn't really prepared. remember that he saw what happened to anakin first. he could have based his decision on the laws of physics...

it's difficult to say for certain if obi wan was expecting lightning or not.

22. KyleKatarn96

KyleKatarn96 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    i like the idea of palps drawing power from the force energy or whatnot...and heres my information to back it up (if you dont have info to back up what your saying you have no argument..so heres what im going to try)

palps suceeds in gaining immoratality by 'leeching' the force energy like some in the beginning of the post said...and the force knows this..hence the "chosen one"...only the chosen one is capable of killing sidious and bringing balance to the force...im also hearing alot of rumors about sidious actually being defeated but kind of returning back to life in a way (JW Titus' novel..and another thread people found sources..how true or not i dont know..about sidious doing similar acts) but after he is defeated he comes back..because he feeds off the force energy to sustain life....but like said above...only the chosen one can kill him..anakin..as we see in ROTJ....just my 2 cents on this topic...we'll find out for certain what happens on may 19...

23. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    As far as immortality and Palpatine goes: he seemed to be thinking of his empire going on as before(minus the Rebellion) and either having a new apprentice or the one he's had for ages.

Obviously his own personal lack of vision ends the debate early on that one for him...

No mention has ever been made in the OT or the PT as to what Palps is thinking or planning on the immortality aspect.

He clearly did not wish to have Vader succeed him so what he intended is a good question...

So,either it's a theme GL didn't wish to explore/explain by ROTJ or Palps was so power hungry and capricious by ROTJ that he had no plans for his aging body... doubt it though as that guy's pattern is to have plans for EVERYTHING.

Quote:
    "Also it has been said that the Jedi and the Sith use and see things diferently in the force. They do not have the same skills that is why Yoda can not see Anakins downfall and Sids rise to power, while Sids can not sence Luke in ROTJ when Vader can. Thats what makes Anakin special he is the only one who can tap into both sides of the force. The lighting is a Sith skill, the Jedi do not know how to do something like that but because Yoda is wiser he knows about it and how to deflect it."

As far as the Jedi and the Sith seeing things differently through the force - is that in terms of how they perceive the force?? Wouldn't that apply to each and every force sensitive? Just as all humans live in the same universe/planet and yet see/perceive life in different ways.

This principle being IMO aptly demonstrated on the differences in laws/customs around the world.

My take on Luke being sensed by Vader in ROTJ and not by Palpatine was that Anakin and Luke share a closer bond than Palpatine and Luke(who have NO bond).

Plus Palpatine is proven to be not all-knowing (just like the Jedi Council in the PT) due to fallibilty or imperfection rather than the fact that he is a Sith and Luke was a Jedi.

When I see the throne room scene in ROTJ and Palpatine makes statements like: "Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design" and "I have forseen it" I think of what Yoda said in ESB:"Always in the motion the future is."

Which was for me as a viewer a small indication that Palpatine is taking a lot for granted...

Luke summed it up for me when he told Palpatine "Your overconfidence is your weakness." and Luke was right on the money there.

So,I see the use of the force (be they Sith or Jedi) as being only as good as the user and their ability to tie in their skills of foresight with their choices once the foreseen time comes.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Indiana-Earl-Jones

Indiana-Earl-Jones Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2003
    It seems to me that the reason the Jedi do not use force lightning isn't that they choose not to. I believe that they do not know how.

In the films, we have seen two people (both Sith) use force lightning. Sidious and Dooku. It would seem reasonable that Sidious learned how to use force lightning from whatever his source of Sith Knowledge was. He then passed the skill on to Dooku.

Now, I am not saying that Sidious is the only Sith to ever learn to use force lightning. I think that the lightning ability is power that only the dark side has. I thought that, perhaps, the lightning represents all that is bad in the force. Pure energy used for harm. The Jedi may have something similar, a type of 'good' force lightning. However, they do not know how to use it. Remember, Sidious is very skilled in the force, even more so than Yoda.

Now, about the immortality thing. I always thought that the dark side would take over your 'soul' and it would result in longer life. I don't think the lightning has anything to do with it.

Good idea though. This is the best topic I have seen in a while.

25. KyleKatarn96

KyleKatarn96 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    indiana...your right..this is a very good topic...lots of opinions and all hold some merrit to them..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.