main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Sith secret to immortality!

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by jvberggren, Jan 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jvberggren

jvberggren Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    this is a thread i haven't seen in a long time...

i don't really think electricity or sith lightning is the key anymore.
    in fact i think plaguesis ability was a lie. the sith never knew how to create life or stop people from dying imo.

but i'm sure that sidious thought that they might could've if they worked together in exploring the mysteries of the force. but imo there's only one way to acheive immortality -letting go!

there was some element of frankenstein though in this film. i think it was sort of cool, but i think if sidious had used lightning to bring anakin back to life, that would've been too much.

2. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    IMO the sith's secret is nothing more than physical altering to sustain life. Much like what Vader and Grievious had done. They were basically cyborgs... alive but had lost their humanity. I know it's kinda EU but the dark side deforms you. It doesn't cause regeneration. They look at sustenance of life with artificial ways like with clones and machinery. The lightening is just a way of inflicting pain.

To use that power on yourself would only serve to hurt you IMO. I mean look at what it did to Sids

3. jvberggren

jvberggren Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    IMO the sith's secret is nothing more than physical altering to sustain life. Much like what Vader and Grievious had done. They were basically cyborgs... alive but had lost their humanity. I know it's kinda EU but the dark side deforms you. It doesn't cause regeneration. They look at sustenance of life with artificial ways like with clones and machinery. The lightening is just a way of inflicting pain.

To use that power on yourself would only serve to hurt you IMO. I mean look at what it did to Sids

i agree! they use unnatural methods to stay alive longer than they should (becoming cyborgs). the reason they manage to stay alive for longer than they're supposed to, i guess is due to determination. they refuse to give into destiny and tries to create their own. but they can only prolong the inevitable for so long. eventually destiny catches up with you.

4. TardMongeR

TardMongeR Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2005
    first of all yoda has mastered the dark side although he doesn't use it. he visited the Sith holocrones and learned the secrets of the dark side including force lightning. he could teach new padawans how to use force lightning, but it is a dark side ability which would most likely lead the new jedi down the dark path that is the reason why yoda doesn't use the dark side either. that is all there is to it. and there is no secret to immortality

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Not to mention that Qui-gon told Yoda that the Sith cannot achieve immortality.

6. Isis9

Isis9 Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2005
    I think that one of our Respected Colleagues posting on this thread was correct about the Sidious being a master at the art of lying like dead bantha in the belly of a Saarlac. Sith Lords all lie like that. He could have been lying about the Sith finding the secret to creating life. But, I don't necessarily think he was. We know Anakin's mother just found herself pregnant, without having had a liason with someone. Assuming that this is true, then we could speculate that it was either the Force itself that caused her to become pregnant with this extraordinarily Force-powerful child, or it was a Sith Lord that attempting to create life somewhere- a life that, if it survived, might have some natural leanings towards the Dark Side and be very powerful as well.

Sith arrogance must be absolutely limitless. No wonder there had to be a re-organization of the Sith into only two at a time: a Master and an Apprentice. It isn't hard to guess that very few Sith Masters die a natural death. Or Sith Apprentices, for that matter. Palpatine, after having offed Plagueis, may have decided that the only way he would have a prayer of living some kind of lengthy (un)natural life would be to periodically kill off his apprentices. That way he would ensure that none of them stuck around long enough to be a serious threat. I also note that in the case of Dooku [he was old even when Palpatine first undertook his education, according to the Stover book] and in the case of Darth Maul [he was not terribly bright or good at independant thought- he hardly even had a personality], Palpatine would always be able to retain the upperhand. And when it was time to replace them, he didn't hesitate. Palpatine may have believed that the purity of his evil would keep him alive forever, as long as one of his apprentices didn't kill him. And he might have been right. But as we know, the longer a Sith Master lives, the more dangerous it gets, just by sheer magnitude of the dark tide he generates in his wake. Put another way, sin or bad karma always catches up with you sooner or later.

I think Qui-Gon was right. The Sith have no path to immortality. Immortality, as the Jedi understand it, is the ability to exist within the energy field of the Force, yet retain enough of an identity from a previous existence to be able to communicate with the mortal side. The Sith, once killed, have no mechanism of being able to retain some identity after joining with the energies of the Dark Side, because the Dark Side is all conquest, anilhiliation, and destruction.

Palpatine was a filthy liar to tell Anakin that a Sith Lord ever learned how to keep the ones he cared about from dying. A Sith Lord, after all, cares for nobody. A Sith might be able to influence the Dark Side to replicate, but I don't think it could do any more than that.

JMHO, of course.

7. yaddidameen

yaddidameen Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 13, 2005
    first of all yoda has mastered the dark side although he doesn't use it. he visited the Sith holocrones and learned the secrets of the dark side including force lightning. he could teach new padawans how to use force lightning, but it is a dark side ability which would most likely lead the new jedi down the dark path that is the reason why yoda doesn't use the dark side either. that is all there is to it. and there is no secret to immortality

when has there ever been any reference to yoda mastering the darkside? even in the EU, yoda mastered it? mastered? i thought the furthest he got was some experimenting.

8. Darth Sin

Darth Sin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 14, 1999
    What I want to really know, is who is the person that Palpatine spoke of when he said, "There is only one that achieved the power to cheat death" Something close to this he said.

That has puzzled me everytime I have seen the film. Was this a lie, or had someone actually done so? And if so, who had achieved it. Do not say Plageuis, because Palps told Anakin he could save others, but not himself, so it was not him.

Darth Sin! :cool:

9. TardMongeR

Jun 30, 2005
    he was refering to Plagus cheating death by saving others it doesn't say himself anywhere

10. TardMongeR

Jun 30, 2005
    Star Wars Visual Dictionary and other sources specifically state that he has mastered the force, and in addition if you can't master both sides of the force in 800 some odd years time you must be a really sucky jedi!

11. ASHalcyon

ASHalcyon Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2004
    when has there ever been any reference to yoda mastering the darkside? even in the EU, yoda mastered it? mastered? i thought the furthest he got was some experimenting.

You know, I agree...I have never read anything that said he was a master of the dark side. It seems like I read in his Clone Wars book that he had experimented a bit, studied it, and realized the danger of what the dark side could do through him and left it alone. Dooku realized that, too, and it kind of scared him. He knew that if Yoda had gone dark he could have wiped up the galaxy with both him and Sidious. Of course this is all EU, but still,I think it is a fair assessment of Yoda and his powers.

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I believe it was in "Dark Rendezvous", Dooku is still baffled as to how Yoda was capable of deflecting and absorbing the Sith Lightning like he did. He believes that Yoda had to have dabbled in the Dark Side to know this, as there is no other explaination that he could find. Personally, I think Yoda's Master was alive during the Battle Of Russann era and taught Yoda how to deflect it. Should the Sith return.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.