main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Situation

Discussion in 'Communications' started by chitwood, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chitwood

chitwood TheForce.Net co-owner star 4 VIP

May 12, 1999
    I took action just after the Mod Squad Report went online. Sorry to not have this included:

Lord Bane has been banned for 11 days, I understand. That seems like plenty of time for the Christmas incident. Earlier today, I told Sapient to unban him.

Carter today will begin to serve a 48 hour ban and demotion for his actions in this incident as well. I've instructed Sapient to carry out this judgement.

I feel that Sapient hasn't earned my disapproval in this case and that he will not be punished. He was acting in his best judgement at the time which matched mine, and I think he was correct in doing so.

Just thought everyone should know.

Josh

2. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Will Carter return to Admin status when the ban is done?

Will LB return to VIP status?

3. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Thanks for informing us, Josh. :) Much appreciated.

4. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    So what you are saying is that Bane deserved the lions share of the blame for that incident?

From all the info you guys have told us, that just isnt the case.

Thats just not right.

5. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I'd honestly like to see Lord Bane back as a mod, but that's just my honest opinion. But I'm sure he'd be ecstatic just the same to simply have his posting privileges back.

I tried to append this message to my previous one, but for some reason, the edit feature's not working for me, so I had to make a new post.

6. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    I'm not so sure Bane would want it back. ;)

Anyway, thanks for keeping us informed. :)

7. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    Thank you for informing us with your decision Josh.

My questions on the issue ultimately echo Salty's though.

8. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Thanks for the info, Josh. I guess some of the disappointment at the way the situation was handled is bound to stay, but all the same I'm glad that at least some sort of action was taken eventually.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    Thanks for the quick decision and post on this matter.

Tayschrenn

10. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    So what you are saying is that Bane deserved the lions share of the blame for that incident?

That is not really how it seems to me. While their initial actions were pretty much on even ground, Bane did later start a thread on the matter here without enough time passing to give it a chance, and which he knew was not the right step to take. I am sure it was something he would have banned or warned someone else for had someone else done it. Also, when he got unbanned right after, it is my understanding he did some more stuff that I don't feel like rehashing because it could just start this whole thing up again and that's not the point.

As one of the persons that got pretty upset about both persons actions, not being partial to either, I saw this decision as fair when I heard it.

Of course that is just my take on it. :)

11. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Thankyou. :) Information is the key to a stable society.

12. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    As one of the persons that got pretty upset about both persons actions, not being partial to either, I saw this decision as fair when I heard it.

I was on vacation when this all happened, but after reading through the threads involved, I feel the exact same way.

13. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    An 11 day ban vs. a 2 day ban for an incident in which both people behaved in what is considered an inappropriate manner? Nine days is a hell of a difference....any reason as to why LB received such a harsher penalty?

Also, is Carter's demotion permanent, or only for the duration of his ban? The initial post was unclear about this.

14. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    The extended ban time for Bane came from the fact that he violated a condition of the revokation I did on his ban in the middle of this whole incident. He was warned that if he broke this restriction, that he would be banned, and it wouldn't be a light one. He also returned as a sock and posted after this, so that is part of the extension.

15. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    I'm not interested in re-hashing all of the details, but Bane's actions were not limited to what happened in the MS. As Bacabachaui stated, he did some things after the initial 'scuffle' which were entirely inappropriate, and against the rules. That is why he was banned for a longer period of time.

To my knowledge, yes, Carter will be returning, but Bane will not. He had told me weeks ago that he planned on resigning after the New Year, before any of this mess happened, so I don't see this as any sort of problem.

Edit: what Kadue said.

Vertical

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Without ANY rehashing of the incident, has there ben any further clarification as to the relationship between TF.n staff on the JC Forums and the JC Staff?

And what, if anything, should TF.n staff be moderating?

Other than Josh, of course, who can do what he pleases it might be beneficial for us "normals" to have down in writing somewhere what those other fine folks are/should be doing. :)

17. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    I echo dp4m's statement.

I feel though that Carter got off lighter than he should have...at least a 5 day ban is appropriate for what he did. The fact is that he is not being sufficiently punished for his actions.

I say this, because the JC has lost 2 members that I know of, and others will follow, simply because of it.

I have stayed out of all the other BS that happens at the JC, but a friend of mine was truly hurt in this action. And if you ask me, I am not the only one that feels this way. Others will choose to not voice their opinions for fear of being banned.

18. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    Thank you, Josh.

19. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Others will choose to not voice their opinions for fear of being banned.

No one is ever going to be banned for their opinion if it's stated respectfully. Feel free to speak up.

20. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    My only problem with this is that in the 11 days since all this happened, Carter has had his admin powers and such almost the entire time. And (I don't want to assume anything but) it seems to me that as this ruling was handed down Carter would have known what his ban will be, so rather than being a punishment, it's more of a two-day vacation from his admin-duties.

I understand that both Vertical and Josh weren't here when it all went down, but there really needs to be swifter resolution to these things. Otherwise, it's not much of a punishment.

Amazing.

21. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999

[color=blue]Without ANY rehashing of the incident, has there ben any further clarification as to the relationship between TF.n staff on the JC Forums and the JC Staff?

And what, if anything, should TF.n staff be moderating?

Other than Josh, of course, who can do what he pleases it might be beneficial for us "normals" to have down in writing somewhere what those other fine folks are/should be doing. [/color][hr][/blockquote] Regarding the relationship between TF.n staff/JC/JC - This issue has been/is currently being discussed within the staff, and you should see some clarificiation on this in the near future, yes.

Vertical

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Regarding the relationship between TF.n staff/JC/JC - This issue has been/is currently being discussed within the staff, and you should see some clarificiation on this in the near future, yes.

Cool beans. Thanks.

23. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999

[color=blue]My only problem with this is that in the 11 days since all this happened, Carter has had his admin powers and such almost the entire time. And (I don't want to assume anything but) it seems to me that as this ruling was handed down Carter would have known what his ban will be, so rather than being a punishment, it's more of a two-day vacation from his admin-duties. [/color][hr][/blockquote]I understand why this is a concern, but there needed to be some additional time on this to discuss matters. It wasn't a typical situation, and I don't forsee this happening again, so it shouldn't really be a problem in the future...

Vertical

24. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Hello, friends.

I was banned for 48hrs by Sapient originally (excluding the initial ban by Carter which was erased from the record, for the most part), then that was revoked and I was given temp. parole by Kadue. If I raised drama again, I would be banned. I thought this extended to Carter, but did not know if he got the same message as I and we actually exchanged civil PMs over it, or at least neutral ones. ;) But he posted in my thread and then I posted a long rant/farewell and the 48hrs was reinstated. It was then extended that evening to 96hrs and again to 192hrs after I returned as "MrEmh" and later as "King," the former to post a few thoughts in my JCC Reflections thread and give a goodbye to RMCOY in his thread in Comm, the latter to PM, pure and simple. No one knew that, I cannot fault them, and the ban was laid down.

Though 192hrs = 8 days, I did not voice any opinion and frankly did not expect this name to be unbanned for a longer time. The situation, with Carter's reinstatement, looked resolved (or at least, ended). I PMed Sapient yesterday, without reading this thread (it wasn't up yet) to unban me for a few minutes to respond to the PMs waiting for me, then it could be rebanned.

It appears there will be no reban, I do not want VIP status and will not be seeking reinstatement as a moderator or manager, nor would either be granted even if I begged on bended knee. Remember, I was leaving anyway. As I said, it's a different Administration now and I do not fit. It was better for me to leave, even before all of this, simply to avoid needless conflict with newer blood.

And that is that. I will be taking questions from the gallery. ;)

25. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Thanks for the clarification, guys. Good luck in coming up with a policy in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.