main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Situation

Discussion in 'Communications' started by chitwood, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Thanks Josh, Vertical, and Bane for the clarification. :)

I do hope that some true clarification on the roles of Admin Staff can come about from those talks. It seems that in part such policies would've aided with both the LMM and this situation had they already been firmly in place.

2. Anvia_Fett

Anvia_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002

Thank you for keeping us informed. I hope that in the unlikely event that anything similar to this happens again, you will all be able to deal with the situation without so much drama. ;)

3. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    In looking back over the situation, it wasn't so much a case of Staff's Will vs. JC Administration's Will. The subject at hand was not such a far-reaching thing, though in the fallout, it has come to encompass the TFn Staff's role in the JC. That is something I have a great interest in and will watch carefully in the coming days and weeks.

No, in essence, the conflict was Bane vs. Carter. He did not demote me to display Staff power and I did not respond fully out of JC Administration frustration. There were long-running personal issues involved, a duel had been going on for four months. Everything came to a head, in what I think will be the last throes of conflict between the two of us. At least, I don't think it was akin to Dagorlad (LotR reference on a SW board! :eek: ).

4. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    Bane thank you for the post. Welcome back.

And Drama, I rather liked having the Drama around. It was rather exhilarating. It was short lived.

5. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    Oh, the drama tends to cycle in about once a month. Just check Communications regularly and soon enough you'll find a new batch of drama. ;)

6. Jobo

Jobo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2000
    Comms has low drama these days.

Go to one of the movie boards.
    _jOBO

7. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Thanks for the information and clarification on the "situation". As others have said, I do hope we can put together a policy on how to handle such extreme circumstances in the future. I applaud those who were here and took action and feel that some sort of procedure would only help in the future.

Welcome back, Bane. :)

8. One-Who-Stands-Alone

One-Who-Stands-Alone Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2002
    Edit: I'll just post this with my normal username.

9. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    You guys need to either tell us that Staff will be mods here at Staff's discretion and is a case by case basis or if it's all or nothing or whatever.

Just flat out tell us how it is.

You'd avoid so much more drama if we knew.

And to voice my concerns on this -- unless TF.N Staff needs access to the forums, they shouldn't have access higher than a VIP. I don't see Night4554 as a moderator to help out in Games. I don't see the TFN Books staff as Lit mods. Sure, the demand may not be there for moderators in those areas; I don't mean to be rude, but unless someone needs moderator powers, they shouldn't be in place -- Mar, Kessel, Lobot and others were demoted because they weren't using their mod powers. And then there's the issue of security and such.. there's always worrying about leaving unused moderator accounts open.

Sure, Carter has done some moderating around here and has uploaded styles and changed things around. Excellent. My case isn't against him. It would just be nice if you'd do something for us all -- if TF.N Staff is allowed to be a moderator based on their staff position, let us know. If it's case by case, tell us. The more you're open with us on problems, the less problems you'll have.

And please don't shrug us off with the notion that things are being discussed. I'm sure they are -- but if they don't come to a change, tell us.

Trust me -- you'll save yourselves and anyone else who cares about this place a lot of headaches.

10. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Well, for interested parties, here is the current Administrative structure for the Jedi Council prior to any changes.

11. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    That's not the issue that's been raised. The issue is how is it decided which TF.N staffers become mods and which ones don't.

12. chitwood

chitwood TheForce.Net co-owner star 4 VIP

May 12, 1999
    Lord Bane acted on his own behalf, not on the behalf of the admins.

Carter acted on his own behalf, not on the behalf of the staff.

Centrally, this was an issue between them, and it was blown up to cover more ground (read: admins) than necessary. Also, part of the reason it took some time to handle was because Vert and I were gone, and there's was so much drama surrounding it.

There's no lion's share of the situation here, simply that I felt that Bane was unbanned for plenty of time when I realized it was 11 days ago (and already grown to 7 when I was finally actively back).

Few of the TFN Core Staff post and are active here, so policy discussion for one or two people is seemingly unnecessary. I do believe that Carter's role as an admin will be less of a staff representative and more just to handle the graphics and implementation, and myself as the overall overseer, of course. Other than that - I don't see why huge policy discussion is necessary.

All admins, from the top to the bottom will be held to the same standard. This is why I demoted and banned Carter. His action was an unacceptable representation of me, and he was penalized.

Anyhow, I'm not a fan of drama so I'll leave this thread alone for a while now.

Josh

13. Darkest_of_Nights

Darkest_of_Nights Jedi Youngling

Aug 18, 2001
    I think I can probably sum up the current unspoken policy:

TFN Staff become mods when they are needed to mod their chosen board, and they are the best person to do so. Example: Bacabachaui, Red84, sci fi 3d zoo

Mods become TFN Staff at the discretion of the current staff admins. (The staff admins are pretty much the people listed under Imperial Officers in the profiles seciton) They may or may not be asked to resign their roles as a moderator depending on whether or not they can keep up with position, or whether or not there is still a need for them. Examples: Daft, Sturm, Azeem, Max, Rive.

TFN Staff do not become mods when they have been chosen out of a pool of canidates in a basic and fair manner where they are on a level playing field with everyone else. Why? Because firstly, the drama. There would be an undue amount of reprisals screaming favoratism. Secondly, In all the time I've been here, I haven't seen it. Not with any of the Lit staff - Coopra6000, or Nom Anor or Nightowl. Not with Crebelscum or Frank (who is active actually). Or Darth Sebious or any of the FanFic-ers (besides JD who started FF I think). Not queenseamstress, Xizor@TheView, or Stubbzilla. or Roderick.

The TFN Staff Admin Tech Goops become admins: Britany, Spell and Anthony, neither of which has posted since October/November.

And lastly, TFN Staff do randomly become mods. This is the random factor I haven't discovered. Example: ChrisHanel (great guy) He's now a FanFilm moderator, but he wasn't when he was promoted. LMM apparently was promoted for AOTC I beleive, but i think that was in question for a long time.

I think they stopped doing the random factor now however.

14. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    So, Vertical, when are you getting your Eye of Sauron icon?

15. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    From all the info you guys have told us, that just isnt the case.

I think here lies a flaw to the argument though. The mods and so forth know more than we do. So it may appear different to us from the truth :)

I feel this ruling is just.

16. Ariana Lang

Oct 10, 1999
    The only thing that bothers me is the "dishonerable discharge" feeling of Bane's demotion. Carter isn't getting demoted, and other mods who have been demoted have gotten to keep VIPs. Why should this be any different? It's not like VIPs have special secret access to anything, unless there's something y'all aren't telling us. ;)

17. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    //posts thread in uber-secret pr0n forum where posts don't show entitled "Ariana's On To Us"

¤Night

18. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    I had intended to keep VIP status after I resigned January 1st; that was the one entitlement I felt I could keep (well, that along with a retired mod title, but that was secondary). Now, however, I do not want it as any value or status it would hold for the average retired mod or would have held for me before has been eradicated. My name in colors othere than the respectable regular user colors would turn my stomach.

I am satisfied with the way things are. If I am satisfied, as much as I appreciate and thank you for your interest Ariana :) , then I hope everyone else can be too.

19. Ariana Lang

Oct 10, 1999
    I knew it Night! I knew it! Bwa ha ha ha! I'll find ALL of you out before I'm done here!

:p

20. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    We understand, Bane; although we would prefer you wear VIP colors so we can honor your hard work here. :)

21. Darth_Destructo

Darth_Destructo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2001
    Lord Bane:

Well dude, you'll always have my respect anyhow. I don't know *** happened, I've been away till recently, but I think I understand your position. You were the best Mod that ever happened to me, and more than that, you've been a buddy and a pal.

If you ever need to form the Fellowship of the Bane, you have my sword. ;)

22. gundark

gundark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 1999
    I'm ready for my adminship now.

23. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    This is the best I can do, guns:

[image=http://www.boomspeed.com/vertical/gundarkship.jpg]

Vertical

24. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    When can we expect the new policy on this?.....or has it already been finished?

25. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Few of the TFN Core Staff post and are active here, so policy discussion for one or two people is seemingly unnecessary -Josh

I'm pretty sure that they aren't making a policy.

¤Night

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.