main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The Sketchbook of Corellian_Rogue... MWUAHAHA! Just when you thought you'd got rid of me!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Corellian_Rogue, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    I have to agree with Wicktone, this is an awesome piece. Very nicely done all the way around; great shadows and effects and all. Is he smoking!? :eek: :p Great job, I really like your work. :D

~Vassago

2. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    Same here... I second the agree with wick...

This piece is totally amazing! Far better than the lineart, and all the freaking details :eek: - definately one of the best FanArts I've seen so far... :D
    Congrats, C_R! =D=

3. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    *blushes like crazy* Thanks everyone! :D

Thanks SoloKnight I'd have to agree its the one I'm most proud of at the moment.

Thanks so much Wick! I wasn't sure about the fur colour when I first started, it's kind of a flesh tone and I thought that it would end up looking too much like human skin. But as I built up layers and layers of colour and then added flecks of markings it really came together. You should have seen me at one process stage (which I should have saved darn it!) I had about five different colour options on different layers! :D I'm so indecisive sometimes! I am quite proud of the cape, I wasn't sure about the rust red but with the red mohawk I think it worked. Thanks so much for commenting, and your comparison to a balancing act isn't too far from the truth! :)

Darth_Vassago Yeah he's a chronic chain smoker... And doesn't need to carry a lighter either! One good use for a lightsaber other than carving bad guys up. Thanks, I really tried to get the glow right, the light concentrated at the right spot.

Oh Corran_Fett You are far too kind! There are so many wonderful fanart and artists around here. Thank you for giving my ego a lift though. :)

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Wow...that is amazing, C_R! :eek:

He looked absolutely awesome! Everything looks excellent right down to the color and the very last detail. And the smoking thing was a nice touch. :p I love it!

As for the coloring - is this all done in PS? If so, wow...

5. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    Good Grief, C_R! That's amazing!!

I was having a hard time seeing it in line drawing version, but this final draft really brings it to life! Awesome!!

6. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Scooby Snacks: Delicious with a hint of insightfulness. :p

Oh your Togorian looks stunning! I still can't get over how well some people digitally paint here - and yes, I say that with a certain amount of envy. Wick pretty much snatched up any comment that I had in mind, so I second everthing he said - and then some. I congratulate you on a job very well done. I remember having some difficulties trying to discern one area from the other in the lineart due to it's unbelievable amount of detail you put into it. Now with the addition of colour, every part is easily distinguished. You really pulled off the smoke/mist effect and is one of my favorite aspects of this picture.

Now this comment really has nothing to do with the paint job, but I find this big hulking brutish fellow to be a really awesome looking character. I'd want him to be my friend. :)

- Suz ^_~

7. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Incredible picture, from the original drawing to the digital render. You have a very strong style, I look forward to seeing more.

8. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    HanSolo Thanks! :D The entire colouring job was Photoshop CS with a tablet...I can't remember the last time I used a mouse! Yeah there's nothing like a smoking jedi. For some reason I always imagined Mace Windu ducking out between council meetings for a quick smoke.

Thanks [/b]Cheveyo[/b] It's always a good sign when I get a Good Grief from someone! Yeah I need to work on my lineart, I use far too many lines. Where I could use a single, well placed line I use about four, but I'm working on it. But thanks, this was always intended with some defining colour in mind so that's my excuse! LOL :)

I remember having some difficulties trying to discern one area from the other in the lineart due to it's unbelievable amount of detail you put into it. Now with the addition of colour, every part is easily distinguished

YEAH Your_Worship!!!! How is it you always say exactly what I want to hear? You're not a Sith lord are you, reading my mind? I went through a few crazy moments in choosing colours as I had to make every part clear from the other due to my complex lineart. Oh and about the character he's always just some big cat dude that I've always wanted to draw as a jedi, I need a name for him though. Can you think of anything? I'm always stumped with naming characters, they always end up sounding like cleaning products. :D

Thanks Soits I am still trying to define a style for me generally though. I still jump around quite a bit but I may try this comic book style a few more times to see if it irritates me. Thanks for commenting. :)

9. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey C_R!! What a beautiful finish on your Togorian Jedi!! I can't get over how much more the fabulous details step out with the coloring (although that was half the fun of looking at the lineart: picking out all the details!)!! He looks absolutely fantastic!!

I, for one, really love complex lineart like yours--it shows so much talent and creativity, to come up with all those intricate details. As everyone has said, the colors can really make the piece "pop," but the foundation has to come from a superb lineart to start with, I think--so keep up the fantastic work!! :D

FF

10. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    Thanks a heap Falcon! I can't believe you used beautiful! *blushes* It took a while to colour but I'm really glad things are more clear...that lineart was crazy to decipher! :D

And here's my next addition although I'm not quite sure if I'll colour it. The jury is still out whether I like it or not. Try to convince me? :D

Quinlan Vos

Ever since Quinlan Vos was pointed out to me I'm crazy for this character! I want to do a pic with him and Aayla...they are by far the coolest looking master/apprentice duo I think I've ever seen! :) At least in the bad@ss stakes!

11. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Again, good job... can't wait to see the colored version :D
    The only thing is: his chest is imo a bit to big... - but apart from that, a great piece of art!

May I allow me to give kinda request? Since you like both Quin and Aayla, why don't you make a Master/Apprentice-pic or Aalya alone? :)

12. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Holy ***p!! Is that gorgeous or what??!! I love the detailing here--as with all your wonderful linework--with his armoring, the blowing fabric and his "gauntlet wrapping" (I always thought that was a pretty unique and interesting feature in his clothing!). And yes-yes!! I'd love to see one of Quinlan and Aayla together--how cool would that be?! I think you should love this, C_R!! It's wonderful! :D

FF

13. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    *Uses sith abilities to sway your mind* - You will colour this. You must obey.

I can't say that I'm completely familiar with the character all that well, but I've seen a couple of pictures here and there to know that you did a great job on his appearance. I thought too that his upper body looked a bit too big in comparison to the rest of him, but think it's only because you can't see the indentations of his chest muscles (pectorals) due to the armour, so the angle makes it look far more wide than it is. (That's why I really want you to colour it - you've already proved on how fantastic a job you can do). But I do think that maybe his wrist might be a tad elongated or too skinny on his arm (the one that is clearly and easily viewable). Besides the details being as great as ever, I also like the motion you put into his outfit and his hair.

- Suz ^_~

14. Ty_Ordell

Ty_Ordell Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2002
    Wow, very nice I like the pose and the expression. This piece has a very clean and almost stenciled look that makes it quite striking. Awesome! This is a piece that I would be afraid to color because it looks so good as an ink drawing.

15. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    It's already looking great, but I would like to see what you could do to it with colour. You last picture was a fantastic colouring job.

16. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    Corran_Fett Thanks for the comment! :) I agree that's what it is, the chest too big. When you've been staring at the same thing for a couple of hours sometimes you can't tell what's wrong with it only that something is wrong. LOL I'm planning a Quinlan/Aayla pic now so hopefully I'll have a lineart down by next week (or earlier if I get some inspiration).

Oh FalconFan you know how to make me feel better about my work! :D Those gauntlet wraps are the reason I like him so much...well that and the hair and the attitude. ;) They are actually really really fun to draw and even more fun to render probably.

I love your critiques/ interpretations Your Worship. I saw someone else express their love for them too elsewhere and I have to agree. All those points you raised with the anatomy are quite true, I need to work on it. I might try another lineart, see if I can try a different pose with better correctness. But I may render this just for practice on his colours, what style looks good with him. Thanks!

Oh and your mind tricks won't work on me! :D *linerart file suddenly opens on computer* GAH!

Ty_Ordell Believe me I'd be petrified of touching it with traditional media but the wonders of digital mean that I can just erase when it goes wrong! :D If only that existed in real life too...spill ink all over it and I can delete that bit...wouldn't it be wonderful! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Thanks Soits! Far too kind of you.

17. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Looking good so far, C_R! Quinlan Vos is one of those characters that I never understood the following for. He reminds me a lot of Boba Fett in that way, but I still think he looks cool. I think you did an awesome job portraying him. I can't wait to see the colored version. ;)

18. ArtyEwok

ArtyEwok LFL Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 18, 1999
    Very, very cool stuff. Makes me think i should draw more :D

19. bwize

bwize Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2004
    WOW rogue, your work is absolutley beautiful!!! The contrasts between light and dark are very striking and deliciouly detailed. Do I see a metaphor here? Your works are also very moody, almost grotesque in style and I LOVE them! The vong(sp?) are very fluid and wonderfully detailed. They almost appear to be in motion. can't wait to see more.

Bryan

20. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    I love how you do your lineart with the really striking pools of pure black. It's got such a great graphic appeal to it.

This is captivating, as per usual! The way you drew the hair (dreadlock, yeah!) is fantastic. It looks like he heard a noise over his shoulder and you caught him right while he was whipping his head around to look.

I love the fabric wrapped around his forearms, and the layering of the plates in his shoulder pauldron. Having all of these different levels in your clothing and armour really makes him seem 'real', and makes it seem like he's actually wearing these things instead of just having them set on top of him.

I definitely hope you decide to colour this! I'm sure it'll look incredible.

21. Darth_ArsnL

Darth_ArsnL Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2005
    WOW! Your last two pieces were great, and the details on the renegade jedi look magnificent! Excellent use of colors! And on the second one- I love how shes looking away from the view. Nice job Rogue.

Arnsl

22. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    HanSolo I can understand that...all these random characters that you've barely heard of with these huge fandoms. But I have to admit I've read a little of Quin's and Aayla's bios on Starwars.com in preparation for a pic to understand their master/apprentice dynamic and it's actually really cool. :D But I do get suckered by the whole roguish jedi thang. ;)

Arty Thanks so much for stopping it! Glad you could leave a comment and yes you should post more stuff for your fans to look at! :)

Thanks Bwize! Ah I love the descriptor grotesque! I get that a lot...I do have a strange fascination with gore, entrails and ripped off flesh so maybe that explains it (Look in the rest of my Deviantart gallery and you'll see). :D Thanks for the comment and stopping by for a look! I appreciate it heaps.

Wick, thanks for the huge comment, I love it when I have heaps to read! Yeah I was going to have a something in the background that he's looking toward...maybe the shadow of a group of approaching soldiers or something. I am a fan of giving existing characters more complex layerings...it's why I can never stick to a character brief! ;) I just want them to have heaps of stuff because when you think about it it's the human condition to carry a lot of crap with you. I can't even leave the house without keys, phone, wallet, sketchbook, at least two weights of pencil, eraser, sharpener....etc! I hope it's not just me that does this! :D

Thanks Darth_arsnl! It's acutally a man in the second lineart with the long hair (or was it a typo?). :D Thanks for kind words, far too kind!

23. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    Wow...I haven't posted anything for ages! I drudged this from the abyss of Page Two! :eek:

And here it is: A little speed paint of Quinlan.

Vos

Please click the full view of this as I think the eyes have more effect on the larger version. It was quite a challenge to make yellow eyes look normal but I really like them. :D I do think the roughness of this suits him and I there's nothing more roguish than some stubble!

I'm having some issues with deciding on a scene for the lineart of Quinlan posted earlier. I should really design the background first and place the character into it but I'm learning slowly. :D

24. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    For a "quick speed-paint", as you call it, it's damn amazing... ;)
    And nice to have you back... :D

25. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I agree with Corran_Fett - that's quick? :eek:

That is really good, C_R. You should be very proud of it. It's very realistic and I think you've captured his presence quite nicely. Excellent job! =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.