main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The Sketchbook of Corellian_Rogue... MWUAHAHA! Just when you thought you'd got rid of me!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Corellian_Rogue, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I think that is an excellent bit of digital painting, especialy as it was done quickly. I do like the eyes.

2. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    :eek:
    Whoa!! That's a beautiful study of Vos, C_R: I have to heartily disagree with your "lament" in your DA post about being "bad with facial structure"--his cheekbones are wonderful, very nice nose and chin, and almost perfect depth for the eyes--which literally pop off the page, they're so luminous... =P~ :D
    I love the seeming moment of "stillness" we see here--probably a rare occurence in Quinlan's life--he appears almost to be in a meditative state, very calm and serene... Or is this the moment before he takes someone's head off...? [face_thinking] I'm so jealous that you can do this so quickly!! Once again--marvelous work!

FF

3. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    Wow, you're right about the eyes! You handled them excellently... they don't look like he's wearing freaky contacts or anything. I imagine it must have been very hard to make yellow eyes look natural.

And your facial structure looks great to me. If you were struggling with it, it doesn't show in the image.

Excellent job on his skintone, especially around his mouth. It's hard to indicate stubble without drawing a bunch of black dots on his chin. And don't get me started on his awesome dreads...

I think it's great that you're giving Quinlan Vos so much love lately. Poor guy needs some recognition.

4. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Thanks Corran_Fett! Glad to be back. I was off finishing some actual work...not work where I can just go nuts like this...paid work with clients who hate anything that isn't already done. Bleh...such is life eh? Thanks for the comment, your kind words are appreciated!

Comments about expression coming from you HanSolo mean so much! I always find my drawings seem to be lacking that fire in them that can only be from a well done facial expression- a pose can do only so much I guess. But I must admit I am happy with this one, if not only for the eyes. I can't believe that I did them, those kind of eyes that just stare out at you no matter what angle you look at it. :D

Thanks Soits! I tend to get agitated if I work on one thing for too long so this style I find is a nice stress relief. Thanks for the comment!

FF You always know what to say! I find it hard to believe you have trouble with faces as your finished works certainly do not show it! I was surprised myself when this image came to life, before I knew it these eyes were staring back at me with that intensity....I don't think I could describe how it happened honestly, just a tablet, some good music (Tori Amos actually if you know her) and an idea really. I don't know what the thoughts are in his head at this moment, I like to think it's what the viewer sees. There's the stillness you talk about but with the dark eyes there's an anger there so I don't know! Thanks Falcon for a wonderful comment!

Wick Thanks! I wasn't sure when I started whether I could pull off yellow eyes as well but I though what the hell! There's always that trusty delete button! :D Am I disturbed that sometimes I wish for a colour picker in real life? Sometimes I find myself looking at a colour and thinking wow...I really want that in a background!

I took a bit of inspiration in the ruggedness with your Bounty Hunter. I've never really tried stubble effectively before and looking at how you handled it helped. I hope you don't mind but that's why we are here right? :) I've just been filled with this need to do him some justice, I don't know why but sometimes it happens, and I can't stop til in my head I have.

Oh and heres a little work in progress of the Quinlan lineart you saw earlier. The chest problem I think has been taken care of with a bit of definition. :) Any ideas for the background...I'm thinking a tunnel or something with a light source behind the blue blade guy but any ideas or suggestions would be wonderful!

Quinlan WIP

5. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    Awesome WIP :eek: - first a "quick sketch", now a "WIP" - you must be kidding us :p

Nice you fixed that chest thing - looks better now ;)

I guess your background idea is ok. Maybe as a scene Saleucami, and add some Morgukai, Jedi and Clones in the background... ;)

6. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    Quin's a great character. Its nice to see more fan art of him around :)

I like your linework on the first Quin illustration, detailed but not overdone. Coloring it only made it look better!

7. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Lol, Hey, that silly comment was only made because you started it with the whole "jumping in the insantiy boat". I had to retaliate. Though I think it's safe to say that we both can be very silly. :p

Vos

Lovely colour pallet and blending of smooth and rough strokes. I've tried digitally painting portraits like this before, with no where near as successful a result as this! Stubble can be so troublesome, but you did it well. You've made his rugged features appealing. Love the eyes. :)

Quinlan WIP

Did I not say that you'd do a fantastic job, or what? Gah, I can't get enough of your superior painting skills. I knew you could fix the chest. I like the more detailed strokes in the parts like his chest plate and areas of his outfit that are in motion. Also, the glow you get with the lightsabers is near perfection, especially on the parts of which it glints off of his body. It may be funny to say, but the guy in the back actually looks angry, as though his brows are furrowed. The amount of detail you were able to give him is excellent.

I feel for you on the whole 'background' issue. I usually can't come up with something if I haven't sketched something in beforehand. But for some reason, when I look at the image, all I keep thinking is something outdoors - spooky or gloomy like a swamp, and the blue bladed guy has just appeared out of some murky mist. I don't know, that probably sounds not only bad, but very weird. I feel stupid now. Just ignore me. :p

Oh, but I do bid you good luck on whatever it is you decide to do. :)

- Suz ^_~

8. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    ***p, I wish I could do digital painting like that!! Between you and wicktone you could start a "Digital Painting College" and be up to your eyeballs in knowledge-ravenous students (I'd be first in line, btw...)!

The WIP is stunning, C_R--I so loved the lineart piece, how could this be anything but gorgeous? I agree with Suz that your handling of light here is just beautiful: the glow of the lightsaber touching some of those fabulous armoring details, and those manly gauntlets (what is it about those...? ;) )! And yes--I, too, see that "scowl" on his opponent back there--on his face and definitely in his posture. Re: background...hm... Something relatively simple, I think--I rather like Suz's suggestion about gloomy and misty, whether it's indoors or out. That way the focus remains on our combatants (which is sort of guaranteed by the brightness of their sabers anyway, I guess...never mind... ;p ).

Another wonderful piece, Rogue--your work is just fabulous! =P~

FF

9. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    Corran_Fett Thanks! :D I'm flattered! Maybe some clones and stuff eh? I was perhaps thinking of putting Quin there with his old master as the jedi? It doesn't help that I haven't acutally read the comics so I'm not sure who he battles or what side he is on when in this costume. :p

Hey Snuggle! Haven't heard from you in ages! :) Yeah Quin is great isn't he?

Thanks Suz. :D Lets agree on that then! We're both insane and silly and like to row insanity boats! :) I actually had a lot of fun with the first Quinlan portrait. It's so fun to sometimes just go nuts with strokes and not worry about a perfect complexion..and Quin seemed like the perfect character to do it with!

Same on the background issue! I should really plan scenes rather than pictures. Oh well! :D And I feel like just adding clouds/ mist swirling around the characters is a bit of a cop out here. Thanks for the luck...I think I'll need it!

Falcon I'm sure you could easily do digital as well! A Digital Painting College eh? Wick would surely be the master there and his mighty reign of terror could begin! :D

I definitely want the tension between the two jedi to remain the focus...I want elements in the background to flow between them rigidly, using perspective heaps (I should have left the lines in actually).

Oh and here's another little WIP Aayla Secura without her headress. I'll probably add it although I haven't decided yet. Another little face study.

Aayla Secura

EDIT: Oh and here's what happens when I get annoyed with a piece that isn't working right (the Quinlan background isn't working for me!) An existing image I've done but with a little twist...It's affectionately called "You should see the other Jedi". :D (A little warning it's slightly...erm...well...you'll see!)

You should see the other Jedi

10. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    Haha! Poor Quinlan. I guess that saying is true about always hurting the one you love...

And of course I don't mind that you took inspiration from my picture. Believe me, I'm getting inspiration from everyone else's work here. :D

Your VOS WIP is looking incredible. You paint so crisply when using your lineart. It's a beautiful effect. And I like Suz's idea of a misty effect... that way the background wouldn't compete with the awesome character work.

The Aayla is looking great, too! I love the detailing on the spots on her torso and lekku. They look terrific and not at all like they're painted on the top of her skin.

11. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    :eek:
    Poor Vos!!! Man, he took a good thrashing there, didn't he? Love the title for it, tho! [face_laugh] They took the other guy away in little baggies, didn't they...? ;) I like the "realism" of his wounds, though (geez, that sounds gruesome, doesn't it...?)--the bruising around his eye (and you added a little touch of red in the eye, too--just like a real "black eye!") and his mouth, and the little trickles of blood... Nasty--but in a good way!

And what a beautiful study of Aayla!! I love this portrait (it almost looks like a photograph of a lovingly rendered sculpture...)--it's just luminous. I like that you removed her helmet/headress and showed the unique "freckling" on her lekku and head--it lends her a sort of gentle vulnerability we don't usually see in her. Just beautiful.

Great additions to your "gallery" here, C_R--and I'm really loving your foray into portraiture! Beautiful stuff!

FF

12. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    Thanks Wick Whenever I have a lineart I seem to paint in a really strict way, everything planned and precise and calculated. I found my art consisting too much of that style however and so, with a little help and inspiration, I broke out of the lines and into a new painting style. I like going between the two very much, when I feel like just grabbing a blank canvas and attacking it I do, but when I feel like just colouring in I grab a lineart. Variety is the spice of life after all! :D

Thanks Falcon! Little baggies! LOL :D You crack me up! I really like the thought of a Jedi getting into a Fist fight. All the Star Wars fight scenes annoy me, they are just too scripted and elegant. I want to see a Jedi using his saber AND his fists! Maybe it's just my blood lust though...I think I watch Fight Club too much. :D

Oh and here is two more portraits...I know you're probably sick of them but I don't feel like any heavily worked images right now. Enjoy! :)

Jagged Fel

I decided to offer up my version of the pompous (yet adorable ;) ) Jag. I gave him scruffier hair as an ode to Wedge Antilles, his Uncle. Oh and forgive me for the scar being on the wrong side I think!

Ben

Okay, this one I wasn't sure who it was going to be and still am a bit unsure. I've tentatively settled on Benjamin Jade Skywalker. I figured he wouldn't be this insanely macho guy considering his parentage, he'd be a bit more of a thinker. Just my view and if there's already descriptions of the little tyke in terms of eye and hair colour I apologize as I haven't read them. :) Just offering my view really. Enjoy!

13. Great_One

Great_One Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2005
    Actually, in Dark Nest I it says that he's got red hair and blue eyes ;)

14. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    I'm really loving your forays into portraits, C_R!!! These two latest are just beautiful!! I think that's about the "yummy-est" image of Jag I've ever seen--I always envisioned him just about like this, sort of lean in the face, with piercing eyes--and the scar? We'll say "the negative got flipped" in processing, lol!! I far and away prefer the shaggier hair you've given him to the strict military buzzcut, too--and being Soontir Fel's son, he would have a strong streak of individuality in him that might allow that (particularly if Jaina Solo preferred it! ;) ).

The portrait of a grown Ben is just stunning (and I soooo loved your comment at DA about "not all men are hulking brutes!" LMAO, but geez--so true!!)! Don't laugh, but I can see elements of wicktone's Mara and distinctive elements of Luke in his facial structure (Mara's elegant nose and eyes, and Luke's mouth and chin)--it's a beautiful blending that makes it unquestionably their grown son. Loving the long hair too... =P~

Two gorgeous renderings, Rogue--are you familiar with these characters, or are you "inventing" as you go? I can't get over how beautifully you've captured the essence of them both, particularly if you've never "read" either of them... (turns green with jealousy... ;) :p )

FF

15. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Again, great job, C_R

As Falcon already said, Ben resembles his parents very much. And I like who you imaginined him - nice idea ;)

And Jag looks just too cool... =P~

Keep it up ;)

16. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    Thanks Great_One for that little tidbit! Good luck more than good measurement that I chose the right coloured hair and eyes then! :D

Thanks for stopping by and having a look Corran_fett. I appreciate my return posters so much! I must admit both boys turned out kinda good looking eh? ;)

Thank you so much [/b]Falcon[/b]! *hugs you* I've said it before and I'll say it again you are FAR too kind to me! :D The military buzzcut annoyed me too, and I tried to do a slicked back style but he looked like a mobster with the bit of white looking like 'wings'! So I decided to go to the other side of the gene pool! I so need to do a pilot pic with all my faves but I'm a bit scared caus I REALLY want to do them justice. (they are all my favourite characters!)

Actually it was Wick's mara that inspired me to have a go at this. I originally was drawing something for a non-sw project, found myself drawing this gorgeous red hair because I'd been drooling over Wick's portraits for the last half hour! LOL Thus Ben was born! Although the writers of the books will probably make him into some macho guy which will render this drawing redundant in a few years so poo! :(

And to answer your question Falcon I have read selected NJO books, but none past Traitor I think. I like Soontir Fel as a character a lot and basically wanted to draw him through his son. And that quote from the book from Tycho I think about they'll make a rogue of him yet really sealed the deal! :) Thanks for the many kind words! If you could see the grin on my face... :D

17. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Very nice Jag, I especialy like his uniform ;)

The Quinlan is very well done. He looks very beat up. I really hope this is after that Juggernaut incident ;)

As for the Ben picture... very impressive. The hair is very well done. I like the color, it's a nice mix between Mara and Luke's hair colors. As for his face... :eek: OMG! He definately looks like the child of Luke and mara! He's got Luke's chin and eyes and all around face, except he has Mara's nose, and her 'tough guy(girl?)' look, yet at the same time is obviously the contimplative type like Luke. =D= Bravo!

And he definately has his mother's hair ;)

18. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Whoa! Why haven't I checked out this thread before? :oops:

Your Jag is awesome. I love his hair; very nicely done.

I love Ben's portrait too: a very nice mix of Luke and Mara.

Fabulous artwork! :D

19. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    *rows on in*

Aayla WIP
    Why is it that blue aliens always look cool? I like the strokes you used to outline her body and the general smoothness of her skin. The soft shine is perfectly applied. But to be extremely nitpicky, I think her nostrils need to be more boldly recognized. Like to add that it's a neat idea to paint her without the headress though.

You should see the other Jedi
    Ha Ha Ha - Quinlan sporting a bloody nose and a shiner. That's some good stuff, lol.

Jagged Fel
    Another character I don't know too well, but in every picture I've ever seen of him (which weren't too many), he's always had his hair slicked back. I prefer your mussed hair look. Your rendition makes me like him, just as you did with the Yuu-zhan Vong artwork from before (forgot how to spell the name of those infernal species, so the sp might be wrong). Also, you can tell just by looking at him that he is a stoic character.

Ben
    Laughed at the "hulking brute" comment and I completely agree with you. (people should also keep in mind that not every girl out there has the ever-pleasing, hourglass, bombshell shape too). I think it's brave to take a shot at drawing a character that hasn't been explored that far yet. Others are right, he does bear some stunning similar features to his parents, and you did so well to capture and incorporate them. A sense of "Luke" is especially evident in his expression, and it looks to me he's got his chin, and I agree with Deb that he got Mara's nose.

*rows on out and starts singing* Alouette, gentille Alouette...
    (realizes no one is going to get the reference but really doesn't care)

- Suz ^_~

20. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    I love how you handle these portraits with the sort of classical 3/4 composition. It kind of gives them all a solemn, regal air.

Great job on the hair and skintones on both of these. They look very close to life.

And I agree with whoever commented that your Ben looks like an amalgam of his parents. It's an excellent blending of facial features and colouring.

21. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    Thanks for commenting ThrawnRocks. I like your username very much by the way! Thrawn did rock didn't he? Studying art, too bad they killed him off, I'd be happy with Thrawn ruling the SW universe. :D He wouldn't have let the Vong in that's for sure.

Thank you for stopping in my thread Idrelle...I'm always very happy to have another person lurking around in here so thank you heaps! I'll try to make it worthwhile for you eh? :)

Hey Suz! *jumps in that boat...I think we need to upgrade to a yacht or something I'm sick of rowing!*

Thanks for your comments! I love the detail and care you put into them! I can't be bother finishing off that Aayla pic...her face is way too flat to me and it's just bugging me heaps...another scrap on the pile of stuff I start but never finish.

Glad I could make you like Mr Fel! He's actually quite an arrogant character but in that Imperial, up-himself way which is kind of likeable when you have other characters poking fun at him! Captain Cardboard I saw someone call him! LOL :D I really wanted to impart the feeling that he's becoming more rogueish hanging out with the rebels all the time...like his uncle is rubbing off on him. :)

(people should also keep in mind that not every girl out there has the ever-pleasing, hourglass, bombshell shape too)

INDEED!!!! I'm with you sister! :) But then again when I'm drawing I should remember not every guy is gorgeous and has a nice set of abs! LOL :D And back to the picture, I really was surprised how much of Mara and Luke came through...more luck than anything! LOL

*sings a sea shanty* And scabrous Pirates to you! (no one will get that either!)

Thanks Wick! I'm slowly working my way around the head trying to improve my facial skills. I was having a load of trouble with 3/4 but after these I feel a little more confident. It's all in the practise. Thanks for taking the time to comment!

22. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    WHOA!!

Your work is fabulous! I'm in awe of the detail and your use of color - fantastic, C_R!

More inspired than ever...

oldj

23. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    :eek:!!

You have Ben's portrait as your new icon, Rogue!!! How did you arrange that?? It's awesome!! Have you gotten any other icons approved (maybe I'll use some!)? I still just love that portrait!

FF

24. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    Thanks so much for stopping in oldjedinurse! You flatter me far too much but it is appreciated! :)

I thank the wonderful and delightful Corran_Fett for making my artwork into such great icons! I also have my pic of Kit Fisto made into an icon too but I couldn't resist Ben!

*dances like an ewok* I'm so happy! The first Ben Skywalker icon! :D

25. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    C_R: Thanks, but Vassago earns that comment for the Kit icon as well :D - and still it was your wonderful art that even made such icons possible [face_mischief]

FF: Thanks you like like :) - I made several other icons of her lastest pieces (check it out here) but they didn't get voted ;)

btw, the recent icon update is full of fanarts... that Ben icon from C_R, the Lambda Shuttle and Luke/Mara from wick (icons by odj, I guess), the blue Jedi icon from an unknown artist (icon by me, btw), then that George Lucas art from Matt Busch (icon from me, again :p)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.