main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The Sketchbook of Corellian_Rogue... MWUAHAHA! Just when you thought you'd got rid of me!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Corellian_Rogue, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lippy

Lippy Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 14, 2004
    Hey - Corellian Rogue - ever thought of trying to draw/paint Mara?

2. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Thought I'd just up to get this thing on the first page. *prods thread* I think it might be still alive. :D

As for new art Falcon I'm concentrating on paid work first, especially with chrissie coming up (I always spend far too much on pressies! Eek! ) I've got two more requests to do before my list is clear so i'm hoping to have them done before chrissie but I don't like my chances! LOL

And I'm a bit scared to try Mara Lippy, she's just such a loved and favourite character of so many people I'm worried about doing an injustice. I want to make her beautiful, but not conventionally, doe-eyed beautiful. Like Wicktone's Mara, she's gorgeous and so strong. Eh...I can hope that one day I'll be near his quality of emotion in his work. :D

3. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Well, I guess I have to add my begging in here, too, then! I think you'd do a superb "justice" to our favorite assassin-turned-Jedi! I look at the stunning portraits you've done so far and just can't imagine anything even remotely approaching "injustice!" Interpretation is the heart of the work, as you know so well, my friend, and I have a wonderful feeling that a portrait of Mara Jade by your skillful hands would be...just awesome to see! I love seeing how different artists interpret Mara--and there are countless interpretations!--and I too would just love to see you paint her! [face_begging]

Consider it? Please? When you can find some time in your busy-busy schedule...? Oh, and best wishes with all the commissions! :D

FF

4. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Well if I was starving for lovely SW art, this thread was certainly a feast for my eyes [face_love]

Truly, you are an AMAZING artist. I completely envy people like you who can accurately create the human form by paying attention to all of the muscles, etc. Your character sketches/paintings/drawings are amazing!

And I can see why you use so many dark colors, it's because you cast all of your characters in shadow giving them a lovely eerie, tense environment.

I love all of the head studies that you post, from Aayla w/o her cap, Shaak Ti, to Ben, they're wonderful.

Are these all done in Corel?

Fantastic work - I feel like I just got to view an official STAR WARS sketchbook for free :D

5. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    How in the name of the of all nine Corellian hells did I MISS this?

Sett
    Like all of your coloured work, Sett looks amazing C_R! I love the blue-ish purple hue that wraps across his body (sorry if I got the colour slightly wrong as my Comp Screen isn't being very cooperative as of late). The highlights on his body also look great and really come out well against the black. Awesome gloomy atmosphere.

Asharad Hett
    Gah, I don't remember seeing the character, but I do agree that he looks quite cool. Excellent work on the tatts, especially on the angle (tatts are cool). I like how he seems to be swinging his head onto oncoming danger, perhaps? But somehow his head doesn't seem to line up right with his body pose. My thinking is that his neck is too elongated, which makes it appear as though it's stretched out awkwardly, and there is too much hair in the back of his head that doesn't quite match up with the angle of his head either. But as always, of course, the wrappings on his arms and his jedi outfit itself looks splendid.

Kit Fisto
    NICE! Oh wow, C_R, I am so loving this picture. You've got a knack for tentacles, and your work on male bodies always look good - on the poses and the musculature. Not to mention the colouring! You always get it perfect, or so it seems to me anyways. Particularly nice addition of detail in the bracelets on the tentacles and the work on his belt. Also wasn't aware that he had furry bracelets on his wrists (or maybe you added them in), well whichever, they look great, and I just like them for the fact that I just wouldn't have pegged him for wearing or having anything furry - though I don't know why. You know, that wasn't even important to bring up, but I did anyway.

I think if I got a hold of your sketchbook, I could never pry my eyes off from the work inside. =P~

...and I too also think you'd do an excellent drawing/painting of Mara. [face_batting]

- Suz ^_~

6. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Your Kit Fisto is wonderful! [face_love] I love the way you draw him... and I'm sure you could draw a very nice Darth Maul! will you draw one someday?

7. aurelia-acc

aurelia-acc Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2005
    =D= I love this "Asharad Hett" artwork and I'd really love to see it in colors ;) . Kit Fisto is a great piece too!

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Superb works... I especially like Sett and Kit Fisto!

9. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    Wow....it's less than a month I think from my last update and I have new art! LOL :D Oh I know I don't draw enough but I try to make what I do count. :) I'm quite shocked I managed to get this one done, the idea, the sketch and the final colouring was like one short rollercoaster ride, scary, insanely fast but a load of fun (and no spew either so thank goodness for that)! This is also a tribute to Terryl Whitlatch...I know I keep going on about her but I just love her work!

Krayt Dragon

And here's a link to some progress shots. Not very intensive progress but I thought it'd be better than nothing. :)

Progress for Krayt Dragon

And now to replies...sorry I've left them so long, blame pure laziness. :) Remember kids I love comments! :D

Thanks for stopping in PLJ! I really appreciate the kind words so much, and so many of them too! The only works done in Corel is my latest and Sett, all the rest are Photoshop and marker for the traditional media pieces. I am going to start using Corel Painter IX alot more though, I'm really getting used to it now.

And I can see why you use so many dark colors, it's because you cast all of your characters in shadow giving them a lovely eerie, tense environment.
    *shifty eyes* Yes, right, of course....I meant the dark colours and mist to give an eerie environment. *hopes no one notices its because I can't be bothered to do backgrounds or am pathetic with perspective* ;)

Thanks Suz! Your comments are always so in depth and wonderful to read, I always look forward to yours and Falcon's! :) Yeah, those last few pictures had some anatomical problems looking back at them they're pretty terrible. Oh and with Kit Fisto, those gauntlets were supposed to be torn and wrinkled cloth but I buggered it up royally! :D Furry gauntlets the latest for the chic green tentacled Jedi! LOL

Hey Vana thanks for stopping in! :) I love your Maul by the way, gorgeous. I will have to give him a go one day. I have the Visionaries collection and I love what that artist did with Maul so maybe you'll be seeing him at some point? :D

Aurelia, thanks so much for taking the time to comment, from such an accomplished artist as yourself I really appreciate it. :) I might redraw Asharard in a similar pose but with all anatomical corrections before I colour. After all colours can only do so much, if the lines aren't right it'll annoy me. :p

Thanks for commenting Healer_Leona! I really do appreciate your kind words!

10. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    :eek:=D==D=

**begins mad Ewok jig-and-chanting**

WOW!!!

How awesome is this?! =D==D=

What a fantastic representation of what has been, for me, somewhat of a "mythical" creature (I have to admit to not having seen a lot of the artistic interpretations of the Krayt dragon...)--I always imagined it to be something amazing, and you've captured that essence perfectly here, Rogue!! The sand-colored hide is exactly right for the environment it inhabits--and I am so loving the ridges of spikes all over it! Intimidating as well as functional! Its face/head is just amazing--very much like the "mythical" dragons of legend, but with an organic grace and realism that makes it seem very possible! I so appreciate the "progress shots:" being able to see how you sketch out then fill in is just wonderful--it's something that I love about your work Rogue--the beautiful and movement-filled lines that sweep across your "canvas" and imbue every piece with such energy and power!

And the idea that one man (Jedi or not) could bring down one of these things is really an epic event in the mind's eye! Inclusion of the character adds a level of scale and tension that are awesome (now I almost want to see this fight-to-the-death...although I would hate to see this magnificent creature done in... ;) )!

This is just wonderful, Rogue! A real treat to see such a fabulous representation of this mostly overlooked creature! Well, well done! =D=

**continues jigging and chanting**
    [face_dancing]

FF

11. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Wow! That is a beautiful painting. But I think I would run if I were that Jedi. He has cut off one claw but he still has 5 to go! That Dragon looks fierce! And it looks royally irritated now that he is missing a hand.

Beautiful colors. Is that watercolor and ink? I am clueless when it comes to non-digital painting.

Great job!!

AG88

12. talonstarshade

talonstarshade Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2005
    Holy biscuitsandgravey! That is stunning! Great work Corllian_Rogue, this is some awesome artwork!

13. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    I gotta second FF and AG88 here: WOW!!! :eek:

This looks just very, very awesome! The environment, the cut-off leg, the face expression, the pose... just everything! Really amazing, and again, the dark atmosphere makes it even cooler. The coloring is great as well, tho I think there's a bit too much brown/beige - but that's not your fault; Tatooine is sandy planet and the Krayt Dragon just has the same color for better camo. The Jedi or Sith looks awesome too - he's gotta have a lot of guts to fight a Krayt Dragon single-handed. :p

And, I think this is made with Corel Painter IX, not with non-digital methods, AG88 ;)
    The lineart could be done by hand, but the coloring is definitely done with Painter - I would've used oil round camelhair brush and the blender "Just Add Water" brush there.

Anyway, keep up the amazing work, Rogue! It is always great to see new stuff from you, and I'd really like to see some more sketchbook scans. :D

=D=:D

14. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    Thanks so much for the replies and kind words guys and gals! :D I love your comments and will reply really soon, just don't have the time at the moment. Oh and expect a few sketches from the Sketchbook of Doom shortly...probably featuring Jedi wookiees, Quinlan (yet again!), and maybe Soontir Fel! :)

Until then... :D

15. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    Thanks to everyone who replied to my Krayt Dragon image and took the time to look at any of my work. I really appreciate the support and kind words from all of you! [face_hug]

Falcon! Awww...stop making me blush! I appreciate the ewok dancing, I really do, now you know how I am every time you upload new work!

Thanks bunches AG88! :) I really wanted to get across that the dragon wasn't attacking for the hell of it...that it's got a reason (that nasty jedi cut off his freakin hand!). Oh and this media was digital, with Painter actually. *hugs program for the fifieth time* Ahhh....I love it!

Thanks for stopping in and that hilarious excalmation Talon! I can't say I've ever heard that before!

I totally agree about the beige Corran_Fett...far too much but I guess I really wanted a gritty, sandy feel to everything and went a bit overboard. And as you wish my master, here's some more scans!

As promised, here's some sketches (mostly lineworks) from that crazy Sketchbook of Star Wars Doom! :D I did a few more than expected but here, i'll throw them at you and see what you think. :) Unfortunately there's no colour yet on any of them but I hope to rectify that when I've got a spare moment or two, whether it's digital or actually in the book as marker and pencil.

Wookiee warrior

I absolutely adore drawing wookiees! So much fun with all that hair to cover your anatomy flaws! LOL :) Based and expanded on some of the armour designs I saw on Revenge. I'm so happy for the inclusion of the wookiees in Epidsode III, really saved it for me. Anyone got any fur colour ideas, I was thinking basic browns/blacks but if anyone's got any really cool ideas I'm open to them.

Bothan Jedi

I know there's a heap of contention as to what the Bothans officially look like but this is how I imagine them and no one's gonna change that for me. I know it's basically a goat/horse with hair but hey, I dig it. I adore this pose by the way, really shows off his butt! ( and I am aware of how weird it is considering he'd got fur). =P~

Random Jedi

This is just some species of Jedi I made up. I really liked the feather qualities of Boga and thought if I combined that with a human form, it'd look great. I'm happy with it actually, and I'm thinking some pretty crazy colour scheme to match, very bright, much like the birds of paradise. I don't imagine this Jedi being very phsyical, more dainty and into learning and philosophies than solving disputes with force.

Shaak Ti

Don't like this very much. I might vectorise it and add a jedi council window with coruscant and the setting sun to liven things up. I'm not very good at simplicity with lines and so this killed me. But you only learn by trying new things so I guess it was worth it.

Mon Calamari Jedi

I'm am so over the moon with this one! I've always wanted to draw a Mon Cal jedi and finally have done it! Isn't he a cute little fishy squishy man? I loves him! I think he will become a reoccuring character of mine, I've never really liked a drawing this much. He is tentatively called Seifin and i'm working up a background on him which involves a Mon Cal Demonsquid (only because I feel like drawing one bad@ss squid). I'll elaborate more when I've got it downpat.

Quinlan Vos

Trying new style of inking, more stark. Man...I'm such a fangirl it's getting ridiculous. ;) Someone stop me before I force my bf to get dreads.

Ewok

Isn't he so ado

16. Ty_Ordell

Ty_Ordell Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2002
    I love your inks man , I wish I could ink like that. Heck the squid-guy wishes he could ink like that and he's a squid-guy!!!

17. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    Corellian_Rogue posted:
    And as you wish my master, here's some more scans!
    [hr]
    [/blockquote][face_tongue][face_dancing][face_grin]

[i][b]WOW![/b][/i] [face_shock] That is an awesome bunch of linearts you got there.
    I must totally agree with you... the MonCal looks just amazingly bad@$$! [face_cool] I love the detail on your Ewok archer, too - he looks very cool. And that Wookiee Warrior is awesome as well. I especially like his pose, the razor-sharp looking claws and that coat waving in the wind. Quin and that Ibtisam/Nrin pic look great as well. Shaak Ti looks nice, tho I thing her hands are a bit too big... especially her right hand. And your "Bird Lady Jedi" and that Bothan Jedi concepts looks really orginial. Especially the Bothan is what I would have expected a Bothan to look like.

Would be nice to see some of those linearts colored, especially the Mon Cal and that freaking Wookiee. [face_peace]

But anyway, keep up the amazing work!

18. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Those are absolutely wonderful ink drawings! You should be doing this professionally for Lucas! The detail is remarkable! I especially like the Wookiee Warrior. Fantastic!

You are truly a gifted artist!

AG88

19. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Woohoo! More drawings!

First off, I loved the Krayyt dragon, now I know why the Tuskens fled in fear when Obi-Wan made their call :)

You have such wonderful movement in your pieces. I don't know how you can so masterfully capture all of the wonderful weirdness of the aliens in GL's universe, but your work never fails to impress me. I especially love the ewok in battle mode :D And the wookiee is beautiful.

I admit I had to laugh when I saw your romantic piece - yep, not your usual mushy piece - but adorable never-the-less.

20. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    They are cool. Great pictures. (don't know what to say)

21. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    I likey :)
    Naturally. ;)
    See after a while, you just run out of ways to say something is good :p

22. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Wow, wow and WOW! :eek:

Very nice inking job, indeed. The detail put into each and every one of them is mind numbing. Any plans to add color to them or are you just going to leave them as line art?

Regardless, these are really amazing! Keep up the great work! =D=

23. Ryuuri-chan

Ryuuri-chan Jedi Master star 1

Jul 22, 2005
    Wow those look great. I can't wait to see them colored. I really like the Shaak Ti !

Ry

24. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    Just a quick up, I'll reply later. :)

25. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    OMG!!! I've been away far too long, and there's so much wonderful stuff here to drool over, cry over, marvel over!!
    =D==D=
    The "Sketchbook of Doom" is now my most favorite volume! :D

First--"Wookiee Warrior:" How beautiful is this?? What a majestic pose, and what a beautiful job you've done with the proud stance and the fur and the armoring. This is reminiscent of a Native American portrait: of a magnificent, dignified warrior, looking off into the freshening breeze, the light on his face and body...just beautiful!

"Bothan Jedi:" Wow...just wow! He's so "magical," with the orb suspended just in front of his hand, and the tiny but significant smile on his face--he's enjoying himself, I can see (would Obi Wan scold him, I wonder, for "misusing" the Force...? ;) )! The intricate "braiding" of his mane is just gorgeous--and the embroidery on the costume is, too (some influences from "Dressing the Galaxy...?"). This would be just luscious colored...any plans...?

The "Boga-influenced Jedi" is stunning!! I so love the feathers! Inspired, I say--and something so well rendered in your fabulous style! I, too, can see a lot of color for this one--sort of irridescence, like peacock feathers...just wow... She's just beautiful, and so graceful--although I sure wouldn't want to get her miffed with me, with those sharp claw-things on her fingers: looks like she could filet someone in no time! lol! ;)

I love the "Shaak Ti" study--it makes me think of her alone, in her own chambers, just contemplating her life, or perhaps the war--or (horror-of-horrors!), thinking of a lover...? The thoughtful look on her face, and the pensive posture just give her this quality, in my mind. The skirts are wonderful, laid wide and full across the floor around her feet...just beautiful.

And what a fantastic Mon Cal Jedi!!! I am so delighted with this piece! To see such movement and fluid grace in this species is something I longed to see, and always imagined! The pose is amazing, and the detailing on the tunic is very "personalized," looking something like bubbles underwater. Wonderful anatomy, once again (he's quite "buff," isn't he? :p )--you're so blasted good at that! This is just an awesome piece!

ROTFL about "having your b/f get dreadlocks!" The "Quinlan Vos" is amazing, with the fantastic movement and swirling hair and fabric! Once more, a great pose, with a lot of stored energy: he's just at the point where all that coiling is about to unwind, with that saber coming straight at us! Duck!!! lol! Is this your most very favorite Jedi, I wonder...? [face_laugh] ;)

How you managed to make an Ewok intimidating is beyond me, but you succeeded! The "Ewok Archer" looks very menacing, with the bow drawn, arrow ready, and a full quiver on his back... Duck again!! The wonderful headdress is beautifully detailed, as are his weapons and his coat (how you render fur is just awe-inspiring!)--anyone encountering this fellow had better beware of becoming dinner (ala Han! lol!)!

And congratulations on your "romance piece!!" I just knew you could do it!! ;) They look so happy (and those two species would probably be "compatible!"), and their embrace is so natural! I love the little smile you gave her--it sort of intensifies the poignancy, though, in light of what happens to them later! See? We all knew you could draw "romance!" Well done!

You've really been on a roll, haven't you? :D And we couldn't be more tickled about it! Hope the commissions are coming along well! It's really made my day, to see all this fantastic work, Rogue--thanks a ton, Hon! :D :p

FF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.