main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming The Sky belongs to No Man

Discussion in 'Community' started by FatBurt, Mar 5, 2016.

1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I can't find a thread on this so I'll start one...

Pre Order's have just been opened for No Man's Sky (PC and PS4)

A truly open universe

Whether a distant mountain or a planet hanging low on the horizon, you can go there. You can fly seamlessly from the surface of a planet to another, and every star in the sky is a sun that you can visit.

Where you’ll go and how fast you’ll make your way through this universe is up to you. It’s yours for the taking.

Exploration is seeing things no one has ever seen before

Explore uncharted solar systems and catalogue unique new forms of life. Every planet’s landscape is different from the next, and populated by species never before encountered.

Find ancient artefacts that could reveal the secrets behind the universe.

Choose whether to share your discoveries with other players. They’re exploring the same vast universe in parallel; perhaps you’ll make your mark on their worlds as well as your own.

Survive on a dangerous frontier

Every solar system, planet, ocean and cave is filled with danger, and you are vulnerable.

Your ship and suit are fragile, and every encounter can test your skills to the limit. From dogfighting in space to firstperson combat on a planet’s surface, you will face foes ready to overwhelm you.

And one mistake could see you lose everything. In No Man’s Sky, every victory and every defeat has lasting consequences.

Build for an epic journey

Whether you want to explore and see things never before discovered, or directly set course for the centre of the galaxy, how you play No Man’s Sky is up to you.

But you cannot take your voyage lightly. You’ll need to prepare.

Collect precious resources on the surfaces of planets and trade them for the ships, suits and equipment that will take you to your destiny in the stars.

The game interests me in a way that Elite Dangerous didn't

Gameplay example

Due in June, the big question for me is do I go PC or PS4?

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I'm definitely intrigued but I don't get all the hype for it. I'll wait for the reviews.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    If you've got a good PC I don't see why you'd get it on PS4, it seems like pretty visuals are part of the draw.

Based on Giant Bomb's writeup it seems like the core loop is exploration to facilitate resource collecting to construct equipment to aid in exploration, which is completely my bag. If the reviews are good I'll definitely be picking it up.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Definitely interested in this, especially if they've added depth enough to keep it going beyond just exploration.

EDIT: For completist gamers, it'll be the definition of HELL.

DarthAnakin96 likes this.
  5. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Considering the procedural generation of planets and the potential for billions of planets that may be a task too far.

I love the fact that that it's a single player game in a shared universe meaning that there is a remote chance of being on the same planet as someone else at the same time.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. DarthAnakin96

DarthAnakin96 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 5, 2016
    So looking forward to this! I really hope its good. Its the kind of gameplay I wish a Star Wars game had.

7. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    A sci-fi game where you're not wandering through soulless metallic corridors or traversing through a post-apocalyptic city which sits beneath a steel sky? No way!

Bor Mullet and Howard Hand like this.
  8. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I wonder how buggy the game will be.

9. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I heard this game is more or less what Destiny promised to be.

10. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    But it hasn't been released yet. It's promising to be what Destiny promised to be.

11. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003

New clip, shows proper game play.

12. Corac

Corac Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 16, 2015
    I'd planned to avoid hype and coverage of this game in general, but I finally gave in and watched this, and oh man am I excited all over again.

I was never worried too much about the lack of specific gameplay details, as some were, since I knew from the beginning that I was gonna buy this game just from the basic concept. But this definitely confirms it: even if the game were to have little depth beyond what we've already seen, I'm still gonna end up playing it for hours on end and loving it. I strongly doubt that, though; I get the feeling that this will be something really special.

Now I'm gonna try again to avoid this game until it comes out. I'm gonna fail, but Im gonna try.

Sent from my SG-S4 communications droid

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm certainly interested in seeing what all the hype is about. I hope an Open Beta is released for everyone interested just to test it out before the main release.

14. Corac

Aug 16, 2015
    I doubt it. Seeing as they seem to be intentionally keeping the game rather mysterious, they'll probably want to keep the game under wraps until release.

A cynic would say they're doing it to conceal a lack of real substance, but I suspect it's to preserve a spirit of discovery rather than revealing much through gameplay videos and such. But maybe I'm just being idealistic.

15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Fine then. Sorry, but I won't be paying $60 on a unique game I know very little about based on Youtube gameplay videos and images in a magazine.

16. Corac

Aug 16, 2015
    Well, there's no need to buy it on day one. You could always just wait for the reviews and let's plays; pretty much everything about anything is on the Internet in a matter of days. I'm just optimistic about this one.

Really, now that I think about it, I don't think they're being all that withholding; it just seems that way compared to most other devs who overexpose their games way before release to generate as much hype as possible.

17. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Everything I've seen so far suggests it's worth a punt.

There are many many games out there that are unique where they don't offer a beta test and still go on to be very successful.

Word of mouth is strong for this game so far and I've played various open ended space exploration games (elite, xbtf) to know that this appeals.

18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm not saying I'll never get it. I'm suggesting I'll keep it on my radar for months after its release, when the price goes dramatically down. For an indie game like this, I can't imagine it'll be listed at $60 retail for very long.

19. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    From what I've seen, it is well worth $60 so why not pay what it's worth just because it's indie?

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Uh, because clearly there's no timeframe in between "pre-ordering blind" and "waiting months after release" when you would be able to get sufficient information to determine if you want to purchase a game. It's not like there's some sort of vast international communications network that will offer myriad access to professional and amateur assessments and countless hours of footage once the game is out or anything, jeez.

Corac likes this.
  21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

How about because I DON'T CARE to invest $60 in a game that I know nothing about besides those "professional and amateur assessments and countless hours of footage?" There are games out there that I wouldn't need a demo to be psyched up about buying on day 1, and "No Man's Sky" isn't one of them.

22. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Where did I say "go preorder this game for $60 right now"? Where did I say "spend $60 on a game without knowing if you want it"? I didn't, anywhere. I really don't care if you buy it or not. What I questioned was you saying "I don't want to pay $60 on a game just because it's indie". If a game is worth $60, whether you preorder it or wait several months, it's still going to be worth $60. It's not the buying part, it's the thinking a game isn't worth as much just because it's indie.

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Fair enough, although hemming and hawing about the standard MSRP and lack of pre-release information when you claim to "not care" isn't a good look. I'm honestly a little confused as to why reviews and such wouldn't be enough to determine whether a game would be worth purchasing, but I grew up in the era where we had to read the latest issue of Computer Gaming World to know what was good so whatever.

24. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I grew up in the 80s, and I determined which games I wanted to play based on my own interests, not that of others. I don't care how much hype a game got, if it's not my type of game from the start, I'd like to play it in advance before buying. If you lived in the States during the 80s and 90s, there was this video game store called "Funcoland" where you can try out any available game on all systems available at the time.

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah I have no idea what a Funcoland is. :p You do you.