main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming The Sky belongs to No Man

Discussion in 'Community' started by FatBurt, Mar 5, 2016.

1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Using the drop pods that are around you can expand your exosuit easily enough but at a cost of an extra 10k credits on the previous upgrade. My next one will cost 100k

Ship slots from what I've seen only happens with ship changes and that's beyond my cash so far and although I've seen plenty of crashed ships they only add an uplift of one or two slots and I'm not changing till I can breach 20 slots.

I've started the Atlas story path now. I'm in good standing with the Vy'Keen and I've just met the Korvak. Also had my first pirate attack last night and I took both of the mofo's down.

Going to start taking some pics as the game is stunning and see if I can get them off the PS4 and upload some here. No promises though as I'll probably forget

DarthAnakin96 and Jedi Ben like this.
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Who the hell are the Vy'Keen? Round about my neck of the woods everyone's Korvak. Ships are Korvak, settlers are Korvak, monoliths are Korvak, I'm kind of suspicious of the whole "undiscovered planets" claim because there are so many Korvak.

I finally met a carnivorous lifeform on my third planet and holy hell do shields deplete quickly. Nothing like a life or death struggle with a lizard antelope to really put the fragility of existence in perspective.

3. DarthAnakin96

DarthAnakin96 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 5, 2016
    I've only met the Gek, never even heard of the Korvak, but I've heard of the Vy'Keen.

4. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I've now spent all day on this one planet, it has house size formings of Emeril and so far today I've made over 5m just in mining and trading the stuff, I have upgraded to a 24 slot ship and now have 20 carrying capacity as a result.

I am 1 lifeform away from completing the planets fauna list for an extra 200k

I still have 2 moons and 4 more planets to investigate in this solar system.

From what I can glean from the lore so far

Vy'Keen - Warrior race, signs of weakness are dishonerable (wocky would like them)

Gek - duplicitous and aggressive historically but now mainly traders (think ferenghi)

Korvak - Robot scientists, know very little about them though

5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The Korvak seem like cool folk based on my interactions with them. They're interested in you in pretty much the way you're interested in them, so they're often open to resource trades and will try to nonverbally exchange information (E.g. Point to your rough intelligence benchmark on this chart).

I found a Vy'Keen blade on one planet, so I think they're around here, but this sucker is loaded with killer crab bugs so I'm not sure the relatively frequent gold deposits make it worth exploring, I'm getting wrecked.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Keep posting, you're all slowly talking me into buying this....

7. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Gold is pain in the arse to mine, takes ages and gives minimal back.

Emeril is where it's at. Higher base price and higher yield.

I'm now on a very barren planet but I have all the blueprints for making a warp cell, no more purchases for me!

I also barely have any storage issues now and I have 1.7m in the bank.

TX-20 likes this.
  8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I've not had any issues mining gold quickly but I do have a hefty mining perk on my zappy gun. Haven't found any emeril so no comment on that front.

9. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Infuriating.

I've come across a ruin with two balls that I can push and what look like 2 pressure pads for them to sit on. Neither are on them at the moment and they just roll off irrespective of how gentle I am at rolling them on.

The game clearly wants me to figure this one out as frustration got me the first 2 times it appeared and it's just appeared again!

10. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

Quick question, but are you thinking about buying on PS4 or PC?

If PC you needn't bother. I went against my better judgement and pre-ordered about an hour before the PC version launched and it's a complete mess. Some people with high end rigs have unplayable frame rates. My slightly older system can't even initialize and put me on my first planet, leaving me stuck at a blank white screen.

If you intend to play on console though you should go right ahead. I haven't heard much about performance issues on PS4.

11. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I've had no issues with the PS4. My PC doesn't quite have the guts to play it so that directed where I went and in many respects I'm happy with what I have.

PC graphics are superb but are indeed suffering from performance issues. It will be fixed but the PS4 is sufficient for this game and the controls are quite intuitive.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh it'll be PS4 for me.

The notion of FFXV being delayed is also helping this game.

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Having watched about 5 hours of this and looking over the comments here what I am curious to know is what people think of technology like this being applied to a SW MMO. The GFFA boasts 30 million worlds. So a procedure generation applied to it could detail a galaxy for however many people want to play. Imagine Coruscant fully realized with many trillions(I've seen estimates much higher) of beings along with any players that wish to wander it. Does it feel like that could work?

14. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I'm fairly sure it waa calles Star Wars Galaxy?
    I never played it.

SWTOR is good enough though.

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Right. But you could explore every square inch of a world in No Man's Sky where you could not in Galaxies, right?

16. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I never played it.

But SWTOR has that issue. The worlds are big enough- still. But there is alot of "rail"/ block problems where you use speeders on tracks.

To add though more open worldness though would break the game.

Plus Galaxies and SWTOR have stories and quests. And PVP.

17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    No, not in the slightest. For one, from a desirability standpoint, the procedurally generated assets are just that - procedurally generated, so a lot of stuff is rammed together a little hodgepodge. That's okay for a setting where nothing has an "established look" but it would break down pretty quickly in a fixed setting where you expect certain species, architecture types, and such. For another, from a technical standpoint, No Man's Sky does not have simultaneous multiplayer - it's storing labels for things, yes, but there's already evidence that if two people are on the same planet at the same time the game doesn't actually display them both. There's a solid technical reason for that: synchronizing the sheer amount of data that would be required to get real massive multiplayer to work is a theoretical nightmare, if not impossible at the moment. And finally, part of the reason No Man's Sky is able to work is that its plot and lore is very barebones and delivered in digestible chunks that game can spawn in in your vicinity (Oh, you completed such-and-such objective? Magically there's a followup to that objective right over there! What are the odds?!) which really isn't compatible with the stock Star Wars fantasy of certain planets and locations having fixed greater significance.

Sith-I-5, Ghost, Jedi Ben and 2 others like this.
  18. DarthAnakin96

DarthAnakin96 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 5, 2016
    If they wanted to do a Star Wars game like this, just not have it be procedurally generated and have a set number of planets but still the freedom to explore would still be cool.

TX-20 and Ramza like this.
  19. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Ok,so I've doing the atlas path and I'm being guided towards an "anomaly". I'm in no rush though so I've landed on a moon with is just stupid hot. Resources are minimal and outposts are few and far between so after hours of exploring I'm going to leave.

Why do I mention this moon? Well it's to do with what I am assuming as attention to detail. Rocky outcroppings look as though they have melted in the heat and there a boulders that I can mine for iron that look as though part of the rock is molten.

It's really quite beautiful.

TX-20 and Jedi Ben like this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm starting to be inclined towards getting this a week of Friday, end of the month and pay day.

21. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    So the current planet I'm on i's lush and lovely and ohhh so pretty.

It's also covered in frenzied sentinels which lose it the minute I appear.

To top it off its covered in gravitino balls which are worth nearly 30k each.

Essentially I'm on a rich death planet of beauty.

I love this game

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I fond of the odd worthless death rock populated by giant killer dinosaurs as if the universe itself is telling me to move on to a different location.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  23. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    Been on the same planet for days. It's nuclear, barren, lifeless.... but full of Vortex Cubes! Most caves are full of those things, and at 25,000 units per pop, just been filling all my slots and trucking them back to the space station to sell. Making hundreds of thousands of credits per run. I'm a millionaire, lol...

The planet's moon is even more full of Vortex Cubes, right out in the open even. But very aggressive sentinel presence. Including the ones with 4 legs. Bit tricky to grab cubes there as they attack as soon as you do. Ah, the life of a scavenger...

Jedi Ben and heels1785 like this.
  24. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    Found a planet that is mostly ocean. Went underwater exploring for the first time last night. The breathing mask you can build is not great. It doesn't allow you to be under for very long. At least the one I have now doesn't.

Sith-I-5, Jedi Ben and heels1785 like this.
  25. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Found a Planet of Gravitino balls AND aquaspheres.

The spheres don't alert sentinels and are only marginally less profitable than the balls.

I arrived on the planet 4 slots short of maximum on my suit, with a 27 slot ship and 2m in the bank. I now have maximum suit, no change to the ship but over 10m in the bank. It's a bit grindy but whilst the planet I'm on is barren it's hauntingly beautiful.

vw_jedi likes this.