main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The Skywalker-Jade Revival Society Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luke_Mara_Index, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    Happy Birthday Jade_Max!

Okay, that daring story idea I have - the story would be very similar to a literary character with red hair, that's an orphan and no its not Pippi Longstocking. I really think I'd have fun with this story, but I need someone familiar with the books (another hint: there are 8 books in the series, they were written by a person with the initials LMM). My main problem is filling in the character blanks - like which established characters from Star Wars could fill the roles of the main characters from the story I am basing this fanfic on...

Now that I gave some hints, I hope someone can figure out and volunteer to help me out? [face_praying]

2. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    I just finished reading 'Rilla of Ingleside.' Could this, perchance, be the series you're referring to? ;) I don't have very much free time right now, but if you just want a few questions answered, feel free to PM me and I'll pick my brain.

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Ooh, Liz, that sounds interesting. Especially if it involves young Mara and Luke meeting up and .... [face_laugh]

Over at Return of the Tang thread, they were talking about how weird the novel covers are of Mara. It was so fun a while back reading fics based on why the Sacrifice cover showed her "younger than Jaina" [face_laugh]

Anyway, a few comments over there mentioned necklaces that the model on the coverr was wearing. I thought: Oh, yumsy!!! The fic possibilities of how Mara got them and the sentimental value!!!! :) [face_dancing] Because as they said over there, nothing in any of the novels mentioned the necklaces but they would have to be something she wanted to wear on a number of occasions. [face_thinking]

They also mentioned the HTTE comic pack, and how Mara's taller than Luke. :) :D Ah, yumsy!!! I envy her those extra inches being petite myself LOL

4. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    I wonder if its time for a challenge again? We haven't had one in a long time.

And if anyone's interested, Jedi_Trace might need some help with the updates to the index. It hasn't been updated in nearly three months and we have many new stories on the boards - including a handful from MMM.

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Let's decide on a type first: who'd rather do drabbles or viggies, or songfics?? And, how's the plot bunny adopting going?? :) I'm dying for some post TLC L/M fics, so I'd love a challenge featuring that time frame. :D

6. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    On that note ?

After three years, it is time for me to pass the L/M Index along to the next victi - um, volunteer. ;) We have a LOT of new L/M writers and fics and I feel bad that I simply cannot keep the Index current.

Honestly, I think it works best as a group project, with one or more people gathering links/info and another doing the actual coding and updating.

If you?re interested in helping or Indexing, you need to be proficient with mark-up codes, have good organizational skills, and time?lots of time. :-B

Let me know or post here if anyone is interested!

(And I want to give a big shout of thanks to Gabri_Jade and JadeLotus for all their help in the past.[:D] )

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    SQUEEE for my 2,000th post!!! To Trace: I'd love to help with gathering of info, if it's not too technical [face_laugh] I'd want to be responsible for certain letters of the authors' user name, like A-H, for instance, and to concentrate on Beyond, if possible. It's good to try and divide it up that way, so you don't have oodles to do at once!!!! Seeing new L/M fics get put in the index, that I haven't read yet, SQUEEEE!! I will absolutely love that. :D

8. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    I think the next challenge should be a fic that's longer than one post. I prefer full length fics (like Jade_Max's) that keep me on the edge of my seat demanding more.

I would do a challenge if it didn't require certain words and phrases that had to be integrated. That's very hard to do, for me anyway.

Re: The Index

I think it should be a collaboration effort between at least two or three people. One can gather the links, one checks the index to make sure they aren't already added, one does the coding. I imagine it would be something like this:

Indexer A: Browses Saga & Beyond the Saga for L/M stories. Bookmarks them for future reference. PMs them to index sock

Indexer B: Checks PMs after logging into the Index Sock. Checks links submitted by Indexer A against links already in index. Corrects PM if needed and sends a PM to self with corrected links (if needed)

Indexer C: Gathers the links from the PM / Corrected PM and does the coding. Is the one that edits the first page to say "Index Updated".

I would help, but I'm not that great at coding. I could help gather links, though, but it might be very time consuming.

It would help if more authors would actually give a summary for the story. Its so annoying when you're looking at a story and there's no summary in the story's description.

9. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    About the index:

As this is one of my favorite (ok....my favorite!) areas of fanfic, I'd be pleased, honored, and enthralled to be helping!

I'd love to be a hunter-gatherer with Jade_Eyes, or I could do the "B" thing....maybe with someone else to help. I'm a VERY fast reader (not to toot my horn, but just in honesty) so I could help with reading fics quickly to determine if they're eligible....wherever that would be helpful. I'd be willing to LEARN how to do the coding, etc...if someone would teach me and suffer through all my questions :D Whatever works, I'm just dying to make myself helpful in such a worthy enterprise! :)

And congrats to Jade_eyes for her 2000 post!!! Wow!!! =D= [:D] [face_dancing]

10. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    I have templates formatted with the coding and would be happy to pass them along. Just let me know who wants it. [face_peace]

11. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Traci, thank you for all your hardwork and putting time into the Index. This is a gem for L/M fans out there. :)

[:D] =D= [:D]

Right now, I'm already swamped with school work or I'd volunteer. Darn DRL. ;)

12. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Jul 19, 2007
    Well, I would def. like to volunteer!! Just let me know what I can do! DRL is a very big factor...but I have insomnia...thats when i do everything, from 12-4 in the morning :D

13. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    A new story to recommend!

(we should really have a day of "recommend a Luke/Mara story you have read and liked")

Its called Dark Betrayal, its by pat_skywalker and its in the Saga boards.

Here's a link:

http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/26096180/p6/?140

I don't know if its in the index, I actually came upon it the other day while searching for something else, I think.

14. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Thanks, Miranda! It's been fun and I feel like I'm handing over my "baby," but it's time. @};-

[b][u]Announcement about the Index[/u][/b]

I'm thrilled to announce that [b]Irish_Jedi_Jade[/b] has agreed to take over the L/M Index. [face_grin] [face_love] I'll be sending her the templates and helping her learn to code, so be patient while she gets her bearings.

Anyone who wants to help should PM her to find out what she needs.

About the 'gathering' of fics - I just want to toss in my 2 credits: There is no precedent stating that an Indexer has to go out and find links as a courtesy to the authors. Yes, it's nice if there's a team willing to do that, but if [b]IJJ [/b] ends up doing most of the work on her own, then I think it's an unreasonable expectation.

It's perfectly fine to ask and/or expect the authors to PM their links to the Index sock if they want their story included. [face_wink]

So give her a hand and your support! I know she'll do great. [face_applause] [face_hugs]

15. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    Maybe what we could do is what I've seen others do, like the Jaina/Jag index (I think) - when a new story starts, go read it and then say "Please submit your story's information to the Luke/Mara index" at this sock so others may come and read. Then the author would know to submit their story. It also helps to check the Monthly New Stories thread in Beyond (and Saga sometimes). Its harder when the author doesn't even put the characters in the title :(. (If you'd do this, don't use the index sock, since that's only for the index itself.)

Good Luck IJJ.

16. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Jul 19, 2007
    Thanks Liz, Trace, and Myriad for your support! I'm humbled with this all, and I hope to do L/M and all their wonderful 'shippers out there justice!

If anyone is interested in helping, PM me please so I know, and as I get my bearings and see what I need help with, I'll get back to you.

Hugs!

[face_good_luck] Irish [face_good_luck]

17. Luke_Mara_Index

Luke_Mara_Index Jedi Master star 1

May 23, 2004
    Hello everyone!!! This is Irish, I'm too sleepy to log out of the sock...

Well...it's 2:09am, and I just finished updating the L/M index, That was fun despite the fact I have class tomorrow at 8:30. Oh well...that's what diet coke is for, right? Happily, coding isn't at all as hard as I thought it would be!!! But of course, Trace is an awesome teacher!! Anyways, please go take a look at the index and see how it looks. If there are any fics you see I missed either of yours or of someone else's, please PM me and let me know!! Off the top of my head, I know I put in some fics of ginchy's, Myriad_Daydreams, JediLiz, JediTrace, Jade_Pilot, Klimt_of_Tormesdal, BrentusofGath, WyoJedi, ViariSkywalker, etc. So if you're one of those, or if you posted a L/M fic in the past three months, go see if it's up there!

Secondly, the idea of the "voting for the fic of the month" seems to have gotten lost, but I really love the idea. I'd be willing to head it (have a sock for the PM voting, tally up the votes, do the coding of the finalists, etc.) if you all can help me figure out how we want to run it. There are so many great fics that have only a few replies, and I think that ought to change!!

Also, I loved the idea someone had about pulling in a bunny for us to write on. Would someone want to head that, maybe post a new bunny every week, or couple of weeks?

Just some food for thought! Those are my two cents, so y'all get to hash it out amongst you! I am going to bed....If I'm lucky, I'll get six hours sleep...darn insomnia! :D

18. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Thanks so much, IJJ, for your hard work! And hat's off to Trace, who did such a fine job for so many years! =D=

And I'm sorry that I just thought of this, but I will be very happy to send you all the L/M codes whenever Monday Mush Mania updates, as we seem to get a lot of (squeee worthy) L/M. :D Let me know if that's cool, and I'll be glad to do it! (Next MMM, November 5). ;)

/ pimping own thread [face_laugh]

19. Klimt_Of_Tornesdal

Klimt_Of_Tornesdal Jedi Master star 3

Dec 8, 1999
    Hey Irish, congratulations (or should that be commiserations? :p ) on the new position. Just confirming my story has been listed correctly; thanks for the PM. [face_laugh] I'd actually forgotten about sending it in.

20. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    =D= Thank you, Trace for taking such good care of us all these years! [:D]

and....

=D= Congratulations, my dear padawan! I know you'll do a wonderful job! [:D]

21. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000

EDIT: Never mind about my little shameless plug. I feel ashamed for begging for more readers for my fic.

[Original Post]I think Jade_Max said something about pulling the L/M plot bunnies for us, since she's the new manager of the Plot Bunny Index.[/OriginalPost]

New (edit to add that is):

Fic of the Month: Make sure the ones chosen are able to be replied to (don't vote on ones that are on the classic board for example). I don't know if another sock would be necessary or not. Maybe a Luke/Mara awards (on the Skywalker-Jade Revival Society Boards) is what we need. That poor message board Emilie set up has barely anyone regularly posting at it. We need more fanfics posted there. Perhaps we could do an awards and use that message board for it? We could make a copy of the index and then vote and stuff? *shrugs*

Have people nominate a fanfic via a sock (now it sounds like a good idea). Don't post which fanfics have been nominated in the thread (keep it anonymous). After so many days or weeks (lets say a month?) you tally up the votes, then we can post the top three and vote from there? These are just ideas. And nominate fics that have only a few readers (there are many that only get like 4 readers since they aren't as well known - like Jedi Kassandra's fic "Captured Memories, Lost Memories" for example.

And then when the index is updated, when IJJ posts that its updated, she could make a note in the non index part that such and such is the fic of the month and maybe put a * by it in the index and say "Won Feb 2008's fic of the month" or something?

22. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    I just want to congratulate and thank [face_good_luck] Irish [face_good_luck] for doing such a fantastic (and quick!) job updating the Index.[face_love]

You GO, girl! [:D]

=D= =D= =D=

23. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    What can I say...the [face_good_luck] girl[face_good_luck] is just plain wonderful!!! [:D]

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    With Irish, it's not luck.... it's dedication, skill, and .... just being wonderful!!!! HUGS!!!!!!! :)

25. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Jul 19, 2007
    Hello everyone!

Awww [face_blush] thank you all soooo much for all your support! [:D] I'm overwhelmed...but really, I think the thanks should go to Trace and Emilie and the others for first setting this up, and to all of you wonderful writers...after all, where would the Index be with no incredible stories? [face_thinking]

About the voting, I think that sounds lovely. I just have a thought, though. I like Liz's idea of just letting it go for a month or so and have people vote for any fic. I'm just wondering if that would become to hugely cumbersome. We had a similar survey at my school a couple of years ago, and it was a mess...I think the winners won because they had two votes, whereas there were thirty votes for one person. My thought is, if we nommed say four or five fics, and then had people vote for them, would that reduce the level of hugeness? Again, I'd be happy to head this up (and maybe, Jade_eyes and Myriad_daydreams, if you guys would want to help?) BUT ONLY IF nobody else wanted to...I think its too great an idea to just let fall to the wayside because nobody could do it. But I'm lost at who could nomm the fics. I don't want it to turn into someone saying I only picked my favorites...which I wouldn't but there's that potential for WHOEVER is the "nommer" Collaboration, maybe?

Just a thought. I love JediLiz's idea too, and if we want to try it for a couple months, sounds lovely! What do you all think? There are tooo many wonderful fics out there that deserve a little love!!!

EDITed for grammar, spelling and "oops"-ness [face_whistling]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.