main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The Skywalker-Jade Revival Society Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luke_Mara_Index, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Please do. I can't wait to see what other rabbits will strike when I see your PM.

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I read one story where Luke stayed back to talk to Mara Jade and Mara has to capture him so Luke wouldn't be killed by the Imperials closing in. But that story had angst and Mara sleeping with Luke and she was also having a sexual relationship with Palpatine.[face_sick] I would like to see one that isn't so...nauseating. I figure if Luke saves her she would not want to turn him in.

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    JL, Mara with Palps?! That is way past nasty. :p :rolleyes: Yes, I can see Mara not wanting to turn him in either. [face_dancing] Too irresistible and of course he tries to find the "good" in her. :) As only he can. :*

4. lazykbys_left

Feb 17, 2005
    Okay, I got Briannakin's PM and am now re-reading the Callista books. I swear the original rabbit is mutating. [face_morbidly_excited]

5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh God, help us all.... :p

I'm working on my bunny too. I'm trying to get it done as a one-shot because I don't have the time for it to grow any bigger. It wants to grow into a big angsty morbid fic, but I wont let it. The genre says MUSH and it WILL stay that way.

6. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Oh I don't think I can write any more Mara in the OT fics, but I appreciate the vote of confidence! :)

I have one kinda dark L/M plot bunny (well, more of a Luke plot bunny) dancing through my head, but who knows when I'll get to it. I need to rewrite my entire second novel first. Not to mention write the prequel. :p

Jade_eyes likes this.
  7. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Briannakin - how long do we have to grab a bunnie?

8. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    JediMara77 Your doing a prequel now!? Wow. (I need to get back into the twitter loop). But I understand how you feel. My muse is trying to drag me back into fanfic (it succeeded last night), yet I am easily a month away from finishing my novella (I have max 8000 more words to go). I'm doing the dear diary challenge just to shut my muse up, but that's if for fanfic for me for the forseeable future, besides the odd sjrs challenge. Come spring, I'll be knee-deep in my first novel. The main character is Winter in a nutshell and the main male character reminds me of Luke if he was raised by Palpatine.

Hazel - you can grab one anytime in January.

9. lazykbys_left

Feb 17, 2005
    Right now I'm re-reading the Bantam books for Briannakin's rabbit from hell, and I've been thinking how the PT changed my perception of Luke in the EU. Before, he was a more-or-less traditional Jedi who was doing his best to restore the old Jedi Order. Now he comes across as someone who is defying tradition by embracing the emotional attachments that, given Anakin's fall, Yoda must have forbidden countless times.

What do you think?

10. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Briannakin: Well currently I'm writing a sequel, but after that I'm going to write a prequel, yeah. My friends have demanded it, and the story is there, so...

11. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Sorry I haven't been around, guys. The holidays were so busy and really took it out of me! But I'm so excited to see so much for me to read!! I'll also have a new chapter of 200 posted in the next few days.

This challenge is so fun. I can't wait to see what all y'all have written and what you will write!! [face_love]

12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    That reminds me, I have to post a link. Here is my January challenge response. http://boards.theforce.net/threads/die-another-day-l-m-ben-au-one-shot.50008007/

I really want to be working on my novella, but a plot bunny latched on last night for my diary challenge and it just won't let go :( I wrote over 2000 words yesterday. That should have gone towards my novella. Why is fan fiction so easy and addicting?!?!

13. lazykbys_left

Feb 17, 2005
    Because it's the dark side of writing, of course. Once you go down that path, there is no going back.

DaenaBenjen42 and Hazel like this.
  14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I keep telling myself that once I finish this entry, I am not going back to it until I either finish my novella, or I absolutely need another update.

15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sorry. Double post.

16. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    So... this is my first time posting here. I figure if anyone can help me out, it's you guys. I'm writing a long fic at the moment which features pretty much everyone, but I'm having trouble with Luke and Mara. Is it okay to ask a few questions here, like character-related stuff, or is this thread not the place for that? No harm done if not, I just thought I'd ask!

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yup, you can ask character related stuff (that is actually what this is mainly for)

18. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Oh, great! Cheers. Okay, so basically, I'm wondering how Luke and Mara would each react in a specific situation. They're married with three kids - Ben is almost 7, the girls are 5 and 3. Ben has just been kidnapped. Mara is the one to figure it out. The kidnappers are people from her past, a group she holds a pretty big grudge for. They can't feel Ben in the Force because the group can stop that, and their two daughters are downstairs and already know something's happened. So how do you guys think Mara would react? I'm thinking she'd be angry, but I'm not sure how she'd express it. Would she curse, throw things, start crying, immediately start packing to go get Ben back, what? I can't figure out what's realistic. Same for Luke. They're both there together. Would one of them comfort the other or calm the other down, do they start making plans right away, how do they handle it with the two girls, etc? I know that they'll end up going after Ben, I'm just concerned with getting the initial reactions to seem authentic, if that makes sense. So. Any ideas?

19. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I think she would be simmering with rage but she channels that anger into devising a plan to kill every one of the kidnappers. I would think Luke would be devastated but also worry about Mara turning to the dark side to exact revenge. Sort of like he was in the novels when it came to killing Jacen after finding him torturing Ben.

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I agree with Jedi_Lover. Mara would probably be angry and start packing right away. She'd probably hide her worry with cursing. Luke would want to go save Ben right away as well but would be more rational in his planning and be more open to his feelings of devastation and, like JL said, would worry about Mara extracting revenge. If you want comforting going on (not the easiest thing with LM) they would probably comfort each other. Luke would calm Mara down and Mara would tell Luke that they would find Ben no matter what.

Iverna likes this.
  21. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    My two cents:
    Like the others said, I think Mara would immediately leap into action - I'm going to save Ben, and I'm going to save Ben NOW. I don't think she'd be thinking about revenge too much (not until she has Ben back) and, personally, I never worry about her going to the Dark Side. Luke might be a bit concerned about her intensity, and would be more inclined to take a breath and think things through before racing after Ben. Luke can be impulsive, but I think when Mara's around he tends to be the more calm and rational one. I think Mara would curse a lot. I don't think either of them would cry until they were on their way to save Ben, but helpless to do anything right at that moment.

What they say to the girls is tougher. I think they would try to calmly tell the girls Ben is missing and they are going to find him, and then immediately get Han and Leia (or someone) to watch them while they go after Ben.

The details of your AU might impact things also. For example, since Mara is familiar with the group and doesn't like it, she might be thinking about particular individuals and how best to deal with them.

Hope that helps a little!

Iverna likes this.
  22. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    Luke would be calm and rational....agree....but they'd definitely go after the kidnappers.

23. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    You know, after reading Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, Children of the Jedi, Dark Empire and The Last Command...is it really possible to write Luke Skywalker out of character? He's all over the place in these books.

Iverna likes this.
  24. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Thanks everyone! I ended up rewriting that scene completely. I wasn't completely off, but off enough. Thanks for the pointers. I definitely need to keep in mind that action-oriented aspect of Mara. I think I make her talk too much! And the point about Mara thinking ahead to the kidnappers and how to deal with them is great, it fit the scene really well.

Jedi_Lover, that made me chuckle, because it's so true! Maybe that's why I have such a poor handle on Luke. He does seem to change a lot. Han is always more or less the same, but Luke really is all over the place. I think I like Zahn's Luke best, personally. He makes him thoughtful and not overpowered, which is closest to what I get from the movies. Although I'll admit that when I watch the movies I tend to focus on Han. :p

Anyway, this is hugely helpful, thank you all! [:D] I may be back with more questions at some point. You guys are awesome. If I can ever help any of ye out, just say the word!

25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    You're welcome.

And JL I agree with you. There is so many interpretations of Luke in the EU, you can justify any characterization of him in a fanfic. I like Zahn's Luke, but Allston handles him quite well too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.