main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The Skywalker-Jade Revival Society Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luke_Mara_Index, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I also like how ginchy writes him. :p But out of the profic authors I like Zahn also. Luke is a tough guy who didn't lose his shy farmboy charm.

I definitely don't like the DE Luke with his pleather pants, black cape and overwhelming need of an anger management class. Or CotJ Luke who I think was neutered at some point while on the Eye of Palpatine.:(

Iverna likes this.
  2. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Glad we could help, Iverna :)

I agree Luke's characterization is all over the place - that's part of the reason I only consider a handful of books canon in my mind. I usually try to write him like Zahn in my stories.

Iverna likes this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    *wriggles* Iverna - tag me when you begin your tale; just from your questions, I can tell it'll be an edge-of-seat ride, =D= and [face_laugh] don't forget the mush in the epilogue once the baddies are dealt with. :D

4. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Jedi_Lover, neutered? [face_laugh] I didn't like CotJ much though. Wasn't that the one with Calli---I mean, she-who-must-not-be-named?

Aww, Jade_eyes, thanks for the interest! It'll be a while before I'm ready to post but I'll tag you for sure! And there will be some happy times. I promise.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  5. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    He goes from being a freakishly strong Jedi in Dark Empire to being practically helpless on the Eye of Palpatine. I realize it was a plot device to make Luke dependent on Callista and allow him time to fall in love, but it was emasculating to the man. He gets a bump on the head and then he is being beat up by Gamorrians. He is in really bad shape when Leia and Mara finally rescue him.

Iverna likes this.
  6. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    I... don't even remember that. I remember something about Gamorreans, vaguely. I didn't even remember Mara being in that book. It's all a blur to me. I don't know what it was about Hambly's writing, but I just couldn't follow it. But yes, that does sound pretty stupid. I don't like superpowered Luke much, but superweak Luke isn't any better.

Hmm. Now that I think of it, maybe this is why I didn't pay attention to Luke in so many of the books. :p I paid attention just fine in the Thrawn books. And I really like SQ.

7. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Hmm . . . interesting. I read CotJ recently and his weakened state didn't seem as contrived as his powers in DE. But that's just me, I guess. :D

8. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I think my biggest issue with CotJ, besides the creepy invasion of Cray's body so that Luke can have a romance thing, was Hambly's writing. It was impossible to follow in some parts. I finally resorted to the abridged audio book. That made a bit more sense because they edited it in such a way that you could kinda know what was going on.

9. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Yeah. I really don't like overpowered Luke. Well, overpowered Jedi as a whole. But then again I hated Bantam's tendencies to injure Luke in order to bring him down to a lesser level.

10. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Okay, let's say his super duper powers in DE were contrived...how about some consistency? In the Swarm Wars Raynar Thul shoved Luke into a wall so hard that he dented the duracrete with his head, but he didn't get all wussy on us. That was the whole point, there is no consistancy in the early books.

11. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    re: consistency - DE and the Thrawn Trilogy came out at roughly the same time. It's hard to be consistent about anything when you have those two polar opposites as your points of reference.

12. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    The original post talked about TTT, DE and CotJ that is what I am referring to when I say the earlier books.

I just threw in the head part in case somebody wanted to say head concussions are the Kryptonite of Jedi.

13. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    With you, JL, there's always bootknocking. *rolls eyes* I swear writing Time Spent in Paradise was a challenge with you.

14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Are you calling me a bootknocking nag?

15. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Ummm....yeah. actually yeah

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'll call JK a bootknocking nag ;)

EDIT. actually, before JL returned, there was no such thing as bootknocking. Smut? Yes. Bootknocking - no.

17. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Is that so? Okay, that tears it. It's too dang hot in this house. Question: how can a person write when she's madly uncomfortable.

18. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    On another, random note. It just occurred to me I've been a member of TFN since last year...and I never even participated

19. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Briannakin Who were you going to hook Luke up with that I said it was incest by proxy? Was it Han?

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Well, the boards went down about the time that you became a member, so that's forgive able.

And to answer your question, I can never write if I'm uncomfortable, though where I'm from, being "too hot" is never a problem.

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
  22. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Yes! I remembered that much from skimming this thread. *sits* Sorry, I don't know why I got excited about that.

23. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Sorry about the puke face. [:D] Sarcasm doesn't translate well on the internet.

24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thank you for the apology.

I said that when I finished my novella I'd treat myself by writing a short LM fic. And considering I finished my novella last Friday (!!!!!!!!!!!!) and I'm currently procrastination editing it AND my DDC is going smoothly (I've written updates for up until April). But I'm not sure which one of my plot bunnies I should pick. Hmmm.

25. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    I've been toying around with this fanfic idea I've had for about a year and a half now. Basically Anakin Skywalker and Talon Kaarde start their own smuggling ring together and during the midst of this Anakin winds up taking in Han and Mara and they wind up seeing him as a father figure. Yet I'm not exactly sure what to do with Luke and Leia? I was thinking of making them members of the Jedi Order and hearing of their father as a legend who defeated Palpatine and then vanished. Yet none of the ideas I have really stick. Does anyone have an idea for how I could make Luke and Leia's place in the galaxy a little more logical so they'd have a reason to run into Kaarde/Skywalker?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.