main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The Skywalker-Jade Revival Society Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luke_Mara_Index, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    argh, so jealous...well maybe I can get it finished by the end of the week.

2. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    I'll have to read it later however..I'm up way past my bedtime..

3. Stone Jade

Stone Jade Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2013
    I posted my challenge entry to my ongoing Jade Chronicles thread. This was fun to write, especially since I had no idea what I wanted to do with the story when I started writing. Hope you enjoy it.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Good to see another reply :)

I finally got rid of my cold, but now I have a mountain of economic homework to do. Why can't it be April 14th yet?

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    :eek: Economics - The only thing that would make my brain freeze faster is any kind of math. :p [:D]

** Read S J's entry. Fantabulous!

6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    double post. see below.

7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    This is much worse than any kinda math. It's the economic history of Canada.

This is kinda a random discussion topic, but I want to get this thread going again. So, if Mara didn't die in canon, where would you have liked to have seen her character go?

Personally, I would have liked her to have smashed Luke and Ben's heads together and when Luke got exiled, I would have liked her to have gone with him and Ben. I once had an idea for a fic. I was going to write FOTJ, but make it AU and put Mara in it. I doubt it will ever get written (fotj is too long and my, life is too busy) but I really just want to do Outcast with her in it.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  8. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    But if she was still alive, would Luke have ever been exiled? (presuming that Mara not dying also means that there was no Dark!Jacen)

9. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    I very much doubt that, one she wouldn't have allowed it and yeah I think if Mara were alive they would have caught Jacen earlier before he started burning the Roshers. This Luke wouldn't have been penalized because nothing would have happened. So no exile.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    That's a vey good point. I mean, if you go back to the Kavan duel with Jacen and Mara, and Jacen was killed instead of Mara, then what would have happened? Luke wouldn't have been exiled, probably.

11. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    well, Mara having been practically raised by the Emperor himself would have seen the dangers that Jacen posed and overturned his request for Ben to be his apprentice. I would have liked for her and Luke to either a) have a daughter of their own or b) adopt a little girl orphaned by the Vong War. I stopped reading the EU a few years before Mara's murder, so I don't care for those parts of the EU

Jade_eyes likes this.
  12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Well, the thing is, that is why she died. She did see the danger in Jacen and tried to overturn his quest to make Ben his apprentice. She, obviously, failed. Stupid profic.

I would have loved to have seen Mara have a daughter, or even a granddaughter.

Edit: Some of you ladies might get a laugh out of this. My sister needed an old book to rip apart for an art project, so I gave her Children of the Jedi.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  13. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012

That's exactly what needs to happen to that!

Oh, and Mara was the one that kept insisting they didn't push Ben...Luke wanted Ben to stop going on the raids with Jacen. Mara insisted they didn't try to control Ben because it would drive a wedge between him and his parents and she felt it would ruin his progress with the Force, because Jacen had been so influential. Mara didn't see the light until later.

14. Stone Jade

Stone Jade Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2013
    A couple of slightly off-topic points (no spoilers, just allowing you to skip this if you don't want to read my rants):

First, in the interests of full disclosure (and I know this is blasphemous here): I didn't mind the fact that Mara died. Character shields detract from the plausibility of the overall storyline for me. Now, I was saddened by Chewie's death, and very disappointed that Anakin had to die, to make no mention of Mara. That said...

[rant] Second, I was infuriated that they allowed a Jedi-hating hack like KT conceive of and write Mara's death. If LFL is going to allow authors to kill off characters created by other authors, the author in question should at least have some respect for the character he/she is writing off. The entire premise of that storyline was ludicrous, anyway. I don't know if KT didn't have the cajones to kill off a character that would have been a meaningful sacrifice for Jacen (TK, Allana, maybe Ben are probably the only ones), or if she was just going for shock value (likely). KT and TD are so terrible at characterizing Mara, though, that I've much preferred the post-Sacrifice LOTF books so far. The Denningverse basically ruined the character for me, so I'm not under the impression that we would have gotten any decent Mara stuff in FOTJ, anyway (although I haven't read those books yet). [/rant]

Now, to actually address the question:

I've not read FOTJ yet, but I do know a little about the plot. I would have liked to see them scrap the 9-book arc, for one. There's no reason in my mind why Jacen couldn't have fallen to the dark side and burned the wroshyrs even if he hadn't faced down Mara. If Mara's character had been written correctly, and she actually communicated with Luke instead of running off to try to fix everything by herself (go back and read VOTF, KT), the plot would have been altered enough that Jacen plausibly could have gotten to that point a different way.

Now, assuming all three Skywalkers survive the rest of the war, I would have like to have seen a duology (or perhaps a trilogy) covering the Skywalker family visiting other Force-using civilizations to try to discover why Jacen fell. Throw in a few small adventures along the way (and scrap the galaxy-wide threat), and you have the potential for a solid story. Zahn could write this trilogy, as he showed he is capable of doing something like that with SQ. However, I think his strength is in works that weave together a number of different plot lines, which would not work for this type of storyline. I'd prefer someone like Stover, as the philosophical implications of visiting all those other Force users is tremendous, and there's no one better at philosophy in the GFFA than Stover.

I'd like to see the rest of the books in this type period focus on Jedi and non-Jedi groups facing down minor threats, mostly things that impact a single planet or system. I'd be happy to let Allston write as many of these as he wants (see Starfighters of Adumar and the Enemy Lines duology for examples), but there are plenty of good authors who could write these. There could be a book about the Horn family, one about Kyp and some apprentices, maybe something with Wedge and Iella, etc. I'd even consider a TD book about Saba. And, of course, at least one about Jaina.

15. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Exactly! I really liked the book Mercy Kill because it was about a group of people who have a mission that they are able to complete within the time frame of the novel. For these large story arcs you need a BIG threat and that entails a lot of people dying. Eventually we are going to run out of characters to kill if we have another big series of books.

Let's have some small adventures where we flesh out our surviving characters. I would like to see some uplifting stories before we come to the Legacy time frame when everything gets bad again.

16. Dunc T'racen

Dunc T'racen Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 11, 2000
    I think the bones of LOTF were fairly sound. I loved the idea of a civil war in that time period, as it allowed us to have sympathetic and well rounded established characters on both sides, something the EU has often struggled with.

Personally, I would have liked to see Lumiya as the main villain, with Mara having more of a role in dealing with her: They're natural foils. I mean, Lumiya is in the perfect place to be a Vader-like 'path not taken' role for Mara. It would have allowed some interesting insight into both characters and the whole Emperor's Hand situation. And certainly you could still have Jacen flirting with the dark side and putting Ben in danger as Lumiya's apprentice.

Killing off Mara was a waste of the character, but killing off Lumiya halfway through the storyline was, too. She'd probably have had to die at the end regardless, but better her than Mara and Jacen.

The only thing I would have completely nixed was the Mandos, which were the weakest link for me. If Traviss wanted to write Boba Fett and a RC followup, fine, but it certainly didn't belong in the EU's Main Tent. If one really wanted to worldbuild, Hapes could use some serious attention to move past the lame lady-sterotypes, and it's actually relevant to the Skywalker/Solos now.

taramidala and Jedi_Lover like this.
  17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    For the record Stone Jade, I didn't mind that Mara died either (in fact, LOTF were some of the first post-FOTJ books I read and I was a much bigger Jaina fan). It was a slice of life, which sucks sometimes, but too many character shields make books boring. However, how she died, the author they chose to kill her, and the fact that they didn't even let Zahn know, let alone ask his input, all piss me off.

I am so glad they decided to do away with the massive arcs, myself. I finished LOTF, however, the last book of FOTJ remains on both my iPod and bookshelf, untouched (I WILL get to it this summer). I highly doubt I'll ever get around to NJO. With the stand alones, duos, and trilogies, I hope they flesh out some of the less seen characters. Also, Zahn once pitched a Skywalker Family book written between I think NJO and Dnt, the publishers didn't go for it at the time, but I really hope one day he writes it.

Edit: Dunc, I would have liked to have seen Lumiya as the main villain of LOTF too. Killing her off was a huge waste of a character.

18. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    There a buncha idiots then because they don't see a gold mine when its right in front of them..Luke and Mara are very popular...Ben has gotten his own popularity in my opinion over the course of the book series.

Yeah, and gettign Traviss...she doesn't even like Jedi she should never been allowed within ten feet of Luke, Mara or any other Jedi...she can take her Mando stuff somewhere else.

19. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Apocalypse was the one book I liked from the series. I really liked the non-Jedi in the story. The Void-Jumpers, Jagged Fel and all the others. I would like to see more of the common man in the Star Wars universe. Also the ending was upbeat.

20. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    The wedding (while we didn't see it) was a nice way to end it. Similar to how they ended the Courtship of Princess Leia with her mom and dad's wedding.

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I hear it's quite enjoyable after you get past the big long epic taking of the Jedi Temple battle that takes up the first 1/3 of the book.

22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    That scene with Jag and the Barabels was priceless though. That battle with Vestara in the Temple just irritated me to no end. Why is she brought into a combat zone, not allowed a weapon and then they don't believe her when she tells them they are walking into a trap? That would be enough to make me go all Sith on the Jedi.

23. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    It's not enjoyable after that, either. Because you get a super long description about Abeloth and the Ones...twice. *snore*

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah...aren't the "Ones" from The Clone War cartoon? This is the problem when you make everything but Infinities canon. You end up with plots that are completely acceptable for a cartoon or a comic book but then you are forcing Novelists to deal with this canon later on.

In my fanfic Sacrifices I have the Tof Warriors and Lumiya...but has anybody ever seen the Tof and their ships? The Tof looked like big green versions of Captain Jack Sparrow and flew ships that looked like this:
    [​IMG]

That ship above is canon! :rolleyes:

I really think the comics and cartoon should be Infinities. It doesn't mean some stories can't be incorporated into the novels if they are good ideas, but I don't think something like rabbit-like Jaxxon a Lepi from Coachelle Prime should be considered canon.

[​IMG]

I was thinking about the Star Wars original trilogy movies and the latest books. When Star Wars came out I would have loved to live in that Universe. Even with Sith, Death Stars and galactic war it looked like a wondrous place to live. Fast forward to the NJO, LOTF and FOTJ Star Wars Universe and you couldn't pay me to live there. It's an awful place.

And that is sad. They took something cool from my childhood where the good overcomes evil and ruined it.

25. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000

No kidding.....the rule should be if you are writing a book with the big three you can NOT be a secret Sith lover! If you are found to be a secret Sith lover, you are demoted to picking up coffee and treats for the real writers who LOVE to write the Jedi AND the others!

The other writer with the initials KT was pretty good at writing Luke and Mara (Kathy Tyers)

Jedi_Lover likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.