main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The Skywalker-Jade Revival Society Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luke_Mara_Index, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Ok..if I chose to and If I have time I'l do it..but I'm mostly swamped as of now..I'm almost done with this challenge though...grins

2. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Happy to announce I FINALLY finished the challenge. Here it is:

Nothing So Simple by EmeraldJediFire

3. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I'm sorry for not participating in the last couple of challenges but 2 diaries (posted weekly) plus the Drabble challenge are taking up all of my writting time. I'll try to do better, but I can't promise it.

4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I really don't care if people do the challenges or not. I just don't want to make them if people are not going to do them.

I currently have a really good idea for a challenge (one where you pick a number type thing) but I think I may approach a mod about it and have it board-wide.

5. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    sorry. double post

6. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    that might be better...that way you had a broader pool. It was fun to do that one challenge though.

7. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    So I am over at the pet peeve thread and I don't know if it is just me, but does it seem that some fanfic writers blame their poorly reviewed non-romance fanfics on the 'shippers...whether it be L/M, J/TK or J/J?​

Even if every single L/M 'shipper was part of a clique and we all vowed never to read a non-L/M fanfic...that doesn't prevent non-L/M 'shippers from joining and reviewing non-romance stories. There is no Maximum Occupancy in TFN that I know of. I may be wrong, but I get the feeling that the Luke/Mara 'shippers are resented a bit and are blamed for the poorly reviewed serious non-romance fanfics.​

I guess they could have a point that the large amount of L/M stories bury other stories to page four if they don't update often enough, but people can do searches and find the story they want.​

8. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Half the stories I see at the top that r not from beyond are.prewual stuffnwhich I personally have no interest in

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

9. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    You are terrible at writing with your phone. lol!

But yeah...I am really not interested in the prequel stuff. Every interesting Jedi with the exception of Yoda and Obi-Wan were killed. It is hard to get into romances with these characters when you know the brutal end they will meet. I think if in EP7 we found out that Mace Windu did not die when he fell out that window (I can't remember...he was alive and simply missing a hand and shot with Force lightning when he fell out, right?) then I would expect to see a bunch of Mace Windu fanfics to pop up...and I may read them.

10. Stone Jade

Stone Jade Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2013
    Everyone wants reviews. That's just the nature of the fanfic beast, so to speak. It's easy for us, since we have a built-in audience. I've been here about a month (actually, looking at it, it's been one month today), and I imagine there are a number of authors out there who have been here years and have gotten fewer reviews total than I've gotten for the Jade Chronicles in my short time here. And, of course, it's not because I'm a better writer. It's just that I write on a popular topic. I can easily understand how that can frustrate people.

I imagine it's hardest of all for the AU and OC writers. Think about how many non-movie characters you really like in all of profic. I can name five: Mara (obviously), Jag, pre-LOTF Tahiri, Anakin Solo, and NJO-era Vergere. There are a few others I like well enough (Thrawn, Corran, Mirax, Iella, non-Joiner Jaina), but for the most part, that's all I really care about. The rest of the SW characters are only of interest to me in the context of the story they're featuring in.

Thus, an OC would have to both have characteristics I really like and be extremely well-developed to get and hold my interest. They'd also probably have to have extensive interactions with characters I already care about. I imagine this is all true for a lot of other people. Put that all together, and you're probably talking multiple novel-length works featuring your characters. And, you had better hook people at the very beginning, or you might as well forget it.

That's a major uphill battle for a fanfic writer. And, to be honest, almost all fanfic authors aren't strong enough writers to pull it off. Heck, the majority of the SW profic writers can't pull it off. It's one thing to have a character developed in your mind. It's quite another to put it to paper in a way that makes others care about your character or your story as much as you do.

We have a pair of reasonably (if inconsistently) well-developed characters in Luke and Mara, in addition to a relationship that is extremely popular. In that we're very lucky, and it makes the frustration/resentment on the part of those with other interests somewhat easier for me to understand.

madman007 likes this.
  11. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    That's true. I am still trying to finish Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, and it's been months. I just can't get into it and I can't understand why. Luke is pretty awesome, but he should have been written like that from the start and not the wishy-washy farmboy I endured through the Callista books. Tim Zahn is the Goldilocks writer. Luke is not to hardcore, but not a wuss...he's just right. I guess he seem OOC at that point in his life. He is acting like a Grand Master a few years after the Battle of Yavin.

I have been writing OC centered stories with the Tantiss family. They don't get as many readers and definitely less reviews than my L/M stories, but they are the only stories I would write even if nobody read them here. My sons enjoy the stories.

12. Stone Jade

Stone Jade Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2013
    Shadows of Mindor was a weird one for me. I love Stover's work, and it's a strong book, but it suffers some from the inconsistent characterization of Luke, as Jedi_Lover mentioned. The incongruity is pretty striking when you look at Luke's characterization in the preceding book (Truce at Bakura) and the next one (The Courtship of Princess Leia*). It also has a really lame bad guy. The "Behind the Scenes" section of Wookieepedia for Shadows of Mindor gives some interesting information that explains why the characterization seems so strange, which I will link rather than reposting here to avoid spoilers for J_L.

I'm working on Crosscurrent now. I just can't get myself to care about Jaden Korr at all. I had the same issue with Scourge and Mander Zuma. Both decent books, but I had no previous relationship to the major characters, and it's been a slog to get through these.

---
    * Ignoring the X-Wing books, where he had a bit part at best.

13. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    The Shadows of Mindor was difficult to read through. The bad guy said the cheesiest of things and I was like seriously?

Though that line at the end about Luke not liking red-heads because they're too abrasive got a chuckle out of me.

14. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I love Shadows of Mindor. One of my favorite EU books and the epitome of what Luke Skywalker should be.

15. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I agree...he should have been written like that the entire time.

I am just having a problem because he wasn't written that way for the longest time and it seems OOC for young Luke to be the uber-Jedi and then in the next book in the timeline he is a mediocre jedi. Then he is an evil Jedi and then wussy-Jedi. I guess you can't write Luke OOC because he is all over the place depending on the author. :p

I would have loved to see Shadows of Mindor Luke written that way all through the EU...then he could have blown up the Eye of Palpatine with a thought. BAM! No captured Jedi with a head concussion in Children of the Jedi.

16. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    He was written well, I will admit that even though I didn't particularly care for it.

17. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    It doesn't really bother me because Bantam was all over the place. Heck, he's still written all over the place! So Mindor is a nice consolidation of all that.

Oh, on another topic, I think your reviewer guy from FFN has started reading my fics. LOL.

18. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    JediMara77 I blocked my troll. I guess he needed another person to bother. I noticed he will say snide comments about me in reviews of other people's fanfics...like "You write this much more believable than Jedi_lover ever could."

19. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Seriously????? What a ....jerk

20. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    He didn't like the Luke and Mara romance in the second part of my trilogy. Considering what happens in the last part, it's probably good that he didn't bother reading it. (He reviewed to tell me he stopped at the second chapter of Part 3.) I find it highly amusing because 1) I said there was an L/M pairing in the summary, and 2) there's a lot of other stuff going on in that story other than L/M romance. Oh well!

21. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    He really is quite obnoxious oh guess what he told me he stopped reading after her. Thank the Maker

22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah, I'm like leave me the kriff alone!

23. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    He fails to realize that I have non-Mara/Luke stories. If he'd just look he'd see I did.

24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    He's just irritated because I killed off the Vong in so many of my stories. o_O

25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I've never had a flamer. Not sure if that's a sign of success or failure (they say you haven't "made it" until someone hates you). But I've never posted anything on FF.n, so that might be why.

I was going to pull a really mean April Fool's joke and put up a fake challenge where you had to kill off Luke or Mara in a bollywood-type fic, and you had to do do it or else none or your fics would ever show up in the index, but I never got around to logging into the sock account to do so.

I have less than 2 weeks till finals, so there probably isn't going to be a challenge till then, but I am thinking about doing one of those pic a number, get a prompt/quote/song type deal. But I'm not sure what to do for it. I was thinking about doing a song-fic challenge, where everyone gets a song, but I know a lot of people around here have never done a song fic, including me, (which would be interesting because it would get us to expand our writing, but a lot of people would maybe shy away from it). Plus I listen to a lot of weird, non-mainstream, music. I was also thinking about a postsecret challenge (if you don't know what postsecret is, WHY DO YOU HAVE INTERNET?!) where everyone would get a (tame) secret from postsecret and that would have to be either Luke or Mara's secret. And then there is the classic "Quote Challenge." Do you guys have any ideas that you would like to do for a challenge?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.