main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The Skywalker-Jade Revival Society Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luke_Mara_Index, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aleja2

aleja2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2005
    I'm so sorry, I know I'm rather new here so I hope this doesn't come across as presumptuous or trouble making or antagonistic but:

Cue Anakin/Vader "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :)

IMO, of course, and I appreciate that others may feel differently. :).

Salvatore breaks nearly every "rule" of good creative writing. And while rules are made to be broken, he doesn't appear to demonstrate an understanding of just why those rules are adhered to by 99% of writers/editors/publishers. To me, his style is very amateurish and lacks professional polish. He head jumps, shifting POV from character to character, sometimes within the same paragraph. He tells instead of shows, and not very gracefully either. His use of language is clunky and on the nose. His grasp of plot logic is shaky.

I'm not even going to touch his shaky grasp of how physics and things like gravity actually work. Oh, and then there's Danni Sue, who we're told is the bravest and smartest thing ever, worthy of being admired and kept alive (and not tortured, ala the Jedi Miko) by the Vong, even though she does nothing brave or smart on the page.

I don't want him ever, never, never ever near Star Wars again.

Especially if Mara does make it back into canon. He couldn't be bothered to learn about her character, didn't want to write her in the first place and so gave her the disease when he was told he had to include her, and outright refused to write in the small children Luke and Mara were supposed to have at the time Vector Prime began. If it weren't for Kathy Tyers going to bat for a Skywalker child and writing the pregnancy into Balance Point, there wouldn't be even be a Ben. Both RAS and Tyers were pretty active in the lit forum back then, and I remember the discussions vividly.

Also, while I don't doubt there were a few nutcase reactions to Chewie's death, I do highly doubt the reaction was as bad as it's been made out to be in legend. I was on TF.N boards in those days, and Vector Prime split the audience about 50/50 - and the negative reaction was far more than just "you b@$*@&d, you killed Chewie." Let's just say RAS didn't strike me as someone who took well to even the slightest criticism.

Plus, he suggested bringing Troy Denning on board as a Star Wars author, so he's doubly cursed to me ;-)

I've been told his other work is a fairly decent read, but he can firmly stay in the Forgotten Realms as far as I'm concerned :)

Yay for fan fiction!!!!

ginchy likes this.
  2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    It's been a long while since I've read Vector Prime, and I think I 'read' that one via abridged audiobook (which makes it hard to judge his writing skills). So you may be very correct. But I've read interviews with him and according to him, he had very little control as to what got put into the book and he did get death threats, but no, I don't think he is one to take criticism well. But I've also heard that his AOTC novelization is better than the movie (but that isn't hard).

I AM a big fan of his other work. IMO, Vector Prime was a bad example of his writing, so maybe the EU was a bad fit for him because of all the outside control, but I think he could have done a lot more if he had been given a bit more freedom. And I was 6 when all that went down, so I didn't know a lot of that.

3. aleja2

Aug 4, 2005
    Well, here's what Entertainment Weekly had to say about his AOTC novelization:
    "At their worst, the latest wave of printed Star Wars byproducts really are offal -- and awful. Take the best-selling so-called novelization by R. A. Salvatore (Del Rey/LucasBooks, $26), which reads like a mawkish, masturbatory fan-website fever dream interrupted by cut-and-pasted, word-for-word swatches of the screenplay (by George Lucas and Jonathan Hales). It's the worst of several worlds: The movie's often flat-footed dialogue alternates with descriptions like ''There was no hiding the frustration in Obi-Wan's voice.''' (I'll put the link in when I'm not on an iPad)

Maybe Star Wars just isn't his thing.

Believe me, I wish I hadn't been on the boards then. I'd be a much happier and a far less grumpy and cynical person, especially when it comes to how Del Rey and the former regime at Lucasfilm treated the SW book franchise. I do live in hope for the Story Group and new canon, however. :)

4. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Maybe it was the ROTS novelization that was better than the movie. I'm having a brainless day. But I'm glad they have Luceno back, that is my main point.

Back on topic... Even if Mara isn't in the movies, I do hope she will make an appearance in the new canon. If she doesn't, I hope they COMPLETELY wipe the slate clean so I can be a bitter Legends enthusiast, yelling at noobs.

For awhile I was considering doing a fic inserting Mara into Outcast (say what you want about FOTJ - I'll probably agree with you - but the Luke-Ben parts were gold), but the recent EU nuke kinda killed that idea. But my challenge piece is gnawing on me BUT I DON'T WANT TO DO SOME EP7 EPIC.

5. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I'm re-reading the ROTS novelisation, and it is so much better than the movie. I haven't read the AOTC novelisation or Vector Prime, so can't really comment on Salvatore.

I have zero expectations that Mara will be in Episode VII, but I could see them throwing a bone to her fans by writing her into the new books. Are the new writers being directed as to what they can and cannot include? Presumably they can't do anything that will conflict with the new movies but they also seem to want to keep secrecy around the whole thing, so...

6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, I have zero expectations that Mara will be in, or even mentioned in the movies, but I also said that there was no way in hell Harrison Ford would be back, so I'm obviously really bad at predicting these things. But hopefully they'll throw us a bone in the books.

But I think the authors are being directed. They know more than we do and they obviously know things before us. According to the Wook page, Luceno submitted the manuscript like 10 days after the nuke, so he was clearly made known of the Manhatten Project (sorry, I love my metaphor, because I see the Legends announcement was a Necessary Evil - and I'm not apologizing for the history reference). But I think they'll be only releasing books around the OT/PT as to not to give any movie info away. A book on Tarkin is pretty safe since (SPOILER ALERT) he gets blown up at the end :p

7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sorry. Laggy Wifi tonight.

8. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Manhatten Project [face_laugh]

That's true. I guess even if Mara is in the Tarkin book it doesn't give any indication on her role (or lack thereof) in later events. It would be nice to have her exist in the canon universe, even if they aren't going to make her Luke's wife.

9. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    So how would she like Luke's beard?

10. jackyyy17

jackyyy17 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2006

Ok all this cannon talk makes me seriously depressed. I did not eve realize until newdawn12's post that the EU is no longer Cannon and that they are going to nuke almost everything. At this point I am having an internal battle if I even want to watch the new movies or not. My love for Star Wars (aside from the OT) has revolved around the Luke and Mara EU romance (or lack there of. Thank goodness for LM fanfiction romance ;)) and the though of her not even being cannon is seriously making me sad. :_| At this point in time I really don't care if Mara was killed off before the new movie, just as long as she did exist, I'll be happy. If she marries Luke, well that would just be the icing on the cake. [face_dancing]

Ok, end of rant.

**Runs off and hides to only lurk on these boards for another 5 years.***

11. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thought l/m fans would like this.

Found the black series Mara jade at the Disney store

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revanfan1 and newdawn12 like this.
  12. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    That figure is so hideous. But I still need to get one. [face_laugh]

13. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    I got her for....11 bucks

14. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Have it, pre ordered the Artfx from amazon

only missing the WEG minis

15. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    I need to get the artfx one

16. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
  17. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
  18. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Mayve they'll do better with the episode seven figure.

aleja2 likes this.
  19. aleja2

Aug 4, 2005
    Heh. I just found the Mara Jade Black Series figure at Disneyland (Star Tours gift shop). My husband glanced at it, did a double take, and said, "What's the deal with that hair?!"

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Dat hair.

I've never been one for the figures, I think I just have a 1995/96 Chewbacca and Han Solo and some sort of Titanium Darth Vader I got as a gift, but the artfx Mara is really well done.

21. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Leave it to the Japanese to hit it out of the ballpark. They're really good with figures.

22. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Think they'll have to relabel those dolls as Legends?

Anyway, back to the challenge .... My fanficcer brain is having trouble getting over the 30 year-long gap - and this is also my biggest complain about the future movie - so, would you all/anyone mind if I just develop a story that takes place just after RotJ?

newdawn12 likes this.
  23. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    I'd love to read it Hazel

Hazel likes this.
  24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Go right ahead. Rules are meant to be broken :p

Hazel likes this.
  25. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I know what you mean. I'm writing one that takes place in 34 ABY but I have a tendency to want to throw in familiar characters. It just doesn't seem right to have Leia and Han have a kid named...I don't know...Billy or Chad. Even when I write AU L/M with multiple kids there is always a redheaded Ben in their brood. It is hard to break out of that mentality.

Hazel and Revanfan1 like this.
  26. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah. I'm thinking H/L and Luke will have kids in the new movies (I'm basing that off some of casting choices), I'm not sure if they will keep the EU names of Ben and Jaina, but it will be jarring if they change the names. I can't see Luke having a kid named Harry or John.

Gemma and Revanfan1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.