main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The Skywalker-Jade Revival Society Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luke_Mara_Index, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Gleeson does look like Ben and every actor who was rumored to play Luke's son had Red hair and Blue eyes.
    The writers of episode seven had full access to chee's character database/

The only reason I would see them changing ben's name, would be the same reason he wanted Anakin Solo moved to the side in NJP, and Korriban's name was changed to Moraband

because he thought Korriban sounded like Coruscant

The movie sites talked about a Solo son too, it wouldn't surprise me if JJ wanted to hide him,
    Just like it would be in his style to save a character like mara for the movie.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Newdawn -- I hope that happens with Ben, Jaina, and Mara. [face_dancing] And Jag too. And Kyp [face_laugh] ;) And yes, duh! Hazel -- if you write it I will be there with bells on. [face_love]

Hazel and Revanfan1 like this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I just thought of something and I can hardly contain!! myself!

Based on what's legends and not, I believe Zahn's Outbound Flight, Allegiance, and Choices of One would fall into the accepted now-is-canon. [face_praying] So, please, please say I'm right. That would mean [face_dancing] [face_dancing] Mara is canon even if the Thrawn stuff isn't, although it oughta be LOL so Jedi_Lover - our happy joy moment has arrived. Mara is canon and Callista isn't [face_laugh] Oh, SQUEE!

4. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Unfortunately, I think the divider is media (movies & TV are canon, books are not.) So yeah, Jar-Jar is canon. Huge numbers of awesome characters are not. [face_plain]

Poo monkeys.

5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Nyota's Heart Unfortunately, Kahara is correct, the divider is the level of canon (they are listed here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#Canon_in_the_Holocron_continuity_database) with some exceptions (i.e. I think radio dramas are no longer canon). It's basically ONLY the top 2 levels (G and T canon) that remain. So ALL books (with the exceptions of the novelizations where they agree with the movie) are now Legend, that includes Outbound Flight, Allegiance and CoO.

But while Mara's fate still hangs in the balance, atleast Callista is gone

6. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Please don't jinx us! With my luck Luke will be married to some bimbo named Callista in EP7. J.J. would do it just to piss me off. :mad:I have been told the upcoming TV shows will be canon and some of the new books and there are rumors of Mara being in them. But until I see it, I won't believe it.

Gemma likes this.
  7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, of course the new books and new TV shows will be canon, I'm talking about what got wiped out.

But honestly, who are they more likely to bring back, Callista who was like in 4 books, or Mara or Corran or Jaina who all were in a LOT more?

Revanfan1 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  8. aleja2

aleja2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2005
    I think Disney bought Lucasfilm for the same reasons they bought Marvel - they want to build another interconnected film franchise with deep pop culture history that also translates into toy sales, theme park rides, etc. And I think Disney is very well aware that characters such as Natasha/Black Widow in the Marvel film 'verse are quite popular and draw audiences in. Since Disney already owns Mara and she's fairly well established - certainly she's among the best known if not THE best known EU character - they won't waste a piece of valuable intellectual property. It might not be the exact same Mara with the exact same history, but she's just too strong a character archetype not to include in some manner.

Or at least, that's what my gut tells me. :)

Of course, my gut has been wrong on many occasions, too. :(

Question about fan fiction: I saw Kahara's post a few weeks ago about the fairy tale challenge and so I looked it up and well, another plot bunny bit. I know the story can't be linked here, but I can include "SJRS (really old) Challenge" in the title of the fan fic when I publish it on the boards, as well as include the challenge parameters in the notes for the story? Just want to make sure!

9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    That's a very good point. I'm not as up on my Marvel knowledge, but it does make sense to include well-known fan favourites in some form (which is why I'm thinking we will get Ben and Jaina, if not Mara as well).

I wouldn't include it in the title, it might confuse people, but you can say something like "inspired by an old SJRS challenge" in the notes and include the parameters.

Edit: I was just thinking that JJ Abrams did something similar with Star Trek. Captain Pike was a very minor character in the original series (I think he was only in one story, but they referenced him a few times) but he was the Captain of the Enterprise before Kirk. They could have probably inserted any dude as Captain. But they kept Pike and some of the details of his story. So I think we will get some EU shout-outs in the new SW canon.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  10. aleja2

aleja2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2005
  11. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I think it is entirely possible for EP7 to totally piss me off by bringing in characters that I hate (either as just a name or with the actual backstory). After what I saw in the PT I don't trust anybody to do anything sane. I expect to see Luke as a childless monk, Leia and Han with a daughter named 'Candy', a lot of Jedi Gungans, and a Hutt love scene. :rolleyes:

Stang! I really hope I am wrong!

Kahara likes this.
  12. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007

I still think the EU Comic Pack with Luke and Mara portrayed Mara's hair the closest to "red-gold".

[​IMG]

13. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    I need to find that comic pack. I think it's still on Amazon...

14. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  15. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
  16. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    And yet $33 is actually far less than I expected it to be!

17. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    You know I actually met Kevin j. Anderson last weekend. I did y ask him directly but I think I voiced how it felt for his work for the Jedi academy trilogy to be totally disregarded.

As well as the rest of the books, his response kind of disappointed me. He was like you know it's fiction right.

But he also said, as long as you still enjoy the Series that should be all that matters

I know it's not on topic but I just had to share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Anderson is too busy making a boatload of money writing the new Dune series to worry about Star Wars.

19. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Yea I know. I was thinking about reading it

20. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I didn't discover the new books until recently. That is why I signed up for Amazon Prime...I had books to buy. I bought the original six books (I read them when I was a kid, but I wanted to reread them) and then I think I bought a dozen of the new books. Honestly, I think I like the writing style of Anderson and Brian Herbert better than Frank Herbert's. I found the stories very interesting and I started to wish the Star Wars EU was more like the new Dune series. Because they are written by the same people that is so much more continuity and flow to the books. Of course they can do this because the Dune universe is probably owned by Frank's son Brian Herbert. I would recommend the books...but in what order to read them is confusing. I would say to start with the prequel books if you have already read Dune before.

21. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    I haven't read dune at all

22. Luminous beings are we...

Luminous beings are we... Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 19, 2013
    The Mara experts hang out here, so could I interrupt the proceedings for a moment to ask a question?

I'm looking for illustrations of Mara's "Solo-ish" outfit depicted on the Japanese cover of Dark Nest III: The Swarm War:

[​IMG]

I've got Darren Tan's drawing from the The Essential Reader's Companion:

[​IMG]

Are there any other formal illustrations?

23. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    I thought there was another one of her in that outfit, but I looked it up just now and it's fan art. But I could totally be forgetting one.

24. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    There's a ton of fan art that has her in that outfit. Try DeviantArt and search for Mara Jade.

25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I know there's fan art of her in that outfit, but I think those are the the only two 'official' pics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.