main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The Skywalker-Jade Revival Society Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luke_Mara_Index, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    We should do a challenge where either Luke and/or Mara ends up in the slammer for a night. Can't you see Luke behind bars and Mara coming to bail him out (or to rub it in)?

That would be a GREAT challenge. Hint, hint. [face_mischief]

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hee!! Maybe bail him out and rub it in!! And to get her to stop talking, he has to ... kiss her senseless. :) :) Maybe he was the one being too drunk and too off key in the karioke. [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Singing "Three times a Lady." [face_laugh] 'Cause she is. :D

3. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    well, Mara WAS arrested in "THE LAST COMMAND" and she was broken out by.......Luke.

hmm, that would make an interesting fanfic. Someone should write that, but make it Luke in the slammer! ;)

4. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Heylo lovelies. :) Just a note to say that if you have any ginchy-specific questions you'd like to see asked, now's the time to send 'em my way! I'll do my best to include whatever is sent. Foster the sense of community and all. ;)

5. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I reread Union last night to try and get some L/M inspiration. It may well have worked. Mara seemed so innocent and happy go luck in the series, if a tad sad. She is so totally in love which is good, but there was not a single ounce of her edge in the series.

I enjoyed seeing Mirax, Iella, and Tionne. As well as some good Wedge action in the final issue.

6. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    Here's a non amnesia idea for a group fanfic (whether spur of the moment round robin, or a planned out collaboration).

I don't know how many of us ever watched the show "Lois and Clark", but I've had this fanfic idea for years, might as well suggest it.

Season 1, there was an episode called "Pheromone, my Lovely". Basically, this woman was trying to get revenge on someone and try to attract Lex Luthor, so she created a perfume that brought out desires in people. Well, it affected Lois in a major way. And a humorous way. She basically acted all crazy in love for Clark......which I guess was hidden deep down. I don't remember the whole thing (would have to refer to my DVD set from Season 1, which is not with me right now) but I think it'd be a perfect humor piece for us.

If anyone is still serious about a collaboration or a "sporadic" round robin, maybe we should create a thread at the SJRS forum and write down ideas there? Just a suggestion.

I'm trying to figure out when this Pheromone My Lovely (I would rename it: Pheromone, my Jedi) would take place in the SW Universe. It could affect both L & M, too. [face_whistling]

(Again this is just an idea).

Of course, if I'm the only one who has seen this, it might be hard to write. :oops: :p

7. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    I'd have to disagree with Mara having no edge in Union. Personally, I think Union was too high on the mush meter, especially some of the things Mara said, but she was still edgy. Recall that she did call Leia out on the polite platitudes Leia handed to her when she and Luke returned from Garqi, stormed out of her wedding gown fittings after declaring that one of the gowns could drive her to drink, muttered that they (the girls) could have mopped up the swoopies at Luke's bachelor party (thus insinuating that the guys made a mess of it), declared a fairly violent slingball game "very relaxing", and wanted a lightsaber holster worked into her wedding gown. Not to mention my favorite exchange:

Luke: No, Mara, I understand what happened. I just don't understand how you consider your day uneventful.

Mara: It's not the same as what happened to you last night. You started a riot.

Luke: And you just disabled an assassin.

Mara: He was a kook.

Luke: No, turns out he used to be an Imperial guardsman.

Mara: Well, I didn't disable him.

Luke: Ruptured spleen, bruised liver, broken ribs, fractured skull.

Mara: See, nothing bacta can't fix.

Toss in the various comments from other characters about Mara being an intimidating choice of wife (Han: "Mara's solutions are likely to kill something"; Corran: "Still, he's marrying Mara. Good thing he's a hero"; Luke: "When Mara kicks me out, you'd best have a guest room ready") and the fact that when the Imperial burst in on the wedding, Luke adopted a fairly calm defensive position while Mara was directly behind him with the more aggressive clenched fists, and I'd say she's still got an edge. :cool:

Still, too mushy in areas. [face_sick] But the one thing I especially liked about Union was that there were so many characters - I particularly liked seeing Mara, Leia, Iella, Mirax, Winter, and Tionne interacting. The women get forgotten far too often in the EU. [face_frustrated] But I do wish that Union could have been a full novel, even a shorter one like Allegiance, rather than a graphic novel. *wistful*

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Gabri posted:
    Still, too mushy in areas.
    sick But the one thing I especially liked about Union was that there were so many characters - I particularly liked seeing Mara, Leia, Iella, Mirax, Winter,
    and Tionne interacting. The women get forgotten far too often in the EU.
    frustrated But I do wish that Union could have been a full novel, even a shorter one like Allegiance, rather than a graphic novel. *wistful*

Too mushy... hee!! I can't comment on that, ;) my mush threshold is pretty high. :) But I do also like the women palling around in Union also. Dying for a Union novel also, particularly now. I'd so totally buy it. Preorder it online as a matter of fact. :D That's what I love about Union's Shadow--it keeps in all the best parts of the graphic novel, tekes out the stuff that doesn't work, and adds some new bits. :) Case in point: the birds. [face_laugh]

9. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    My mush tolerance can be high, if the story containing it has a strong narrative and good characterization. Union was a bit iffy on both. Plenty of good scenes; don't get me wrong. But I never could follow that Imperial storyline, and imho, the day Mara Jade says, "And you'll make me the loveliest by taking me for your bride" is the day that Del Rey/Darkhorse/whatever reveals that they are, in fact, doing official SW/Attack of the Bodysnatchers crossovers. I just about threw the book across the room at that one. :p

10. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Attack of the bodysnatchers sounds about right.

11. Bri_Windstar

May 27, 2002
    Personally, I don't think it's written in stone that straight mush and romance have to go hand in hand. The two are definitely very closely related, but romance doesn't necessarily have to be mushy. They... mm, work very well together. ;) But if you want one without the other, you're certainly entitled to that opinion. :)

As for Bodysnatchers, everybody in the GFFA has been suffering from that lately, IM(NS)HO. :p

12. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I'm gonna get kicked out of the fandom for saying this, but Union was beyond mush - it was...sappy. OMG - the birds flitting around Mara's head? Who was she - frikkin Snow White? I expected seven dwarfs to come marching up the hill on Garqi singing, "Hi Ho! Hi Ho!" 8-}

Pretty pictures, but no decipherable plot. At all. :oops:[face_laugh]

FWIW, there?s already a Round Robin on the off-site board here All authors are welcome to join in. :D

13. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Heck, you know I love mush and parts of Union are too much for me! [face_laugh]

14. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    *grins* I actually thought I was going to get kicked out of the fandom for saying it was too mushy. Everyone else's posts are making me feel much better. :p

As far as the pretty pictures, well, most of them were - but is it just me, or does Mara look like a redheaded Marcia Brady in the Jedi wedding? It's all I can think of every time. :_|

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hee!! LOL!!! Snow White meets the Brady Bunch. [face_laugh] [face_laugh] The Jedi ceremony in Union was very nice, though. The vows though... o_O [face_laugh] That's why, so far, the vows in JOD rock for me. :) :) Not only did they fit the characters, but I melted. [face_love] ;)

16. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    actually in one of the pictures in Union, Mara looks a little like Jennifer Anniston. Bruce Willis stars as Kam (I think its Kam). Oh, and I remember people spotting Hank Azaria and Helen Hunt (when they were still together......hmmmm) visiting a garden on Coruscant.

The cheesiest line in the comic book had to be "and you'll make me the loveliest by taking me as your bride".

17. Hope

Hope Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 1999
    UNION was crazy! [face_laugh] The sappy, cringe worthy dialouge (thanks, Mr. Stackpole!), the little birdies flying around, weird celebrity cameos (Mara was portrayed by Jennifer Aniston and Mira Sorvino) and the bizarre imperial plotline were too much for me . I like sappy mush and cheese as much as the next person but UNION went way beyond that o_O. I think I would have preferred a shorty story that was a little more serious. I wanted the focus more on Luke and Mara and their marriage and less on the craziness of the wedding (bachelor parties, dress fittings, weird imperials etc.).

18. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    I think we needed someone like Kathy Tyers to write about their wedding. Isn't Stackpole the one who had them calling each other pet names in the NJO books like 'my love' and 'husband, mine'?

Guess we should be grateful that we got to see their wedding at all. Unlike Han & Leia, who only rated a couple pages at the end of a ridiculous storyline. And Union did give us a few fan favorite pics of L/M together, don't forget.[face_love]

19. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Granted, Stackpole may have cheesed up the pet names and such, and Union was pretty sappy, but I have to defend Stackpole as one of best SW authors out there, Tim Zahn aside. I know alot of people like Aaron Allson, and he's good, but Stackpole is secondly only to Zahn in my book.

20. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I don't remember much decent romance in any of the books. It's like it gets thrown in as an after thought and it's pretty cringe worthy. I do have Union and I only bought it because it was Luke and Mara.

21. Rynne

Rynne Jedi Master star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    I think fondly of Union because it was Luke and Mara's wedding...but I have to go with the majority, parts of it really made me cringe. The plot with the Imperials was beyond stupid, and a lot of Mara's lines just didn't sound like her.

Really makes you miss the days of "I love you"/"I know", huh? :p

I wish it wasn't so hard to find a balance in profic. On one hand, there's Union, with its sappiness and sometime-OOCness, and on the other, there's Survivor's Quest, which, though I did love it, did not satisfy my urge for L/M romance.

Thank God for fanfic! :D

22. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    Is there anyone that could do an emergency beta job? The girl who does my betaing (has since I was posting Lightswords on the classic board) was working on betaing chapter 8 for me, but then last I heard from her was 3 weeks ago and she was sick with a sinus infection. That was June 4th. This is a very important chapter and I really need to post it soon, with the USA holiday coming in less than a week.

The problem is, she had offered to write some stuff for me (where I was having problems - probably more suggestions than the actual story) and well, without that, I'm stuck in a rut and can't get out (Darth Writers Block likes to drop by and won't leave me alone!)

So, if anyone can emergency beta read for me and help me with the parts I am stuck on, I'd be so grateful. I really don't know if I'll hear from my regular beta before July 4th.

edit: jade_eyes has volunteered to help me. Hopefully this means I might actually be able to update before August. :p

23. Bri_Windstar

May 27, 2002
    [face_blush] Sorry guys, but the interview IS coming. DRL hit right after I opened my mouth and hasn't really let go.

Totally my bad that it isn't up yet, but that will be remedied, I promise!

24. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    We haven't had a discussion question lately - but I thought I'd throw one out......

What kinds of things help inspire you with your Luke/Mara fanfic writing? e.g. songs, books, television shows, movies, etc

For example: I was stuck in a rut on chapter 8 of my current fic. I'd been watching Lois and Clark: New Adventures of Superman DVDs season 1 and 2 episodes and I was inspired to get chapter 8 finished - that and the helpful beta comments.....but Lois and Clark really have inspired me for some reason.....maybe because they started out as friends and then fell in love..... [face_love]

What inspires YOU?

25. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005

Definitely music. I find a lot of inspiration in songs I hear on the radio (oddly, "Smack Dat" is not one of them). I listen to CDs a lot and there are certain songs that really remind me of their relationship. For example, U2 is one of my favorite groups and the song "Wild Honey" makes me think of Luke's midset about Mara: "Did I know you, did I know you even then, before the clocks kept time, before the world was made?" [face_love]

It's interesting, the books themselves are more reference materials for canon for me than a source of inspiration.

Great question!:cool: I'm intrigued as to what others will say.

[edit: Be nice if I got the lyrics right.]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.