main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Slaughter

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by SithLord-Will, Apr 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLord-Will

SithLord-Will Jedi Master star 3

Mar 2, 2002
    The scene where Ani kill's the Tusken was supposed to be extended...Did Lucas ever film this, or decide to keep it short?

If he did film it. Where can I get it?

2. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I hadn't heard anything about this.
    As far as I know, Lucas kept the scene from going 'too far' to help the film keep to the PG license and also to add a little surprise when Anakin announces that he chopped up every one of them.

3. DarthSil

DarthSil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    Hayden spoke about that particular scene in Arena magazine last year. And he did indeed describe the scene as being a lot longer than what actually appeared on the screen. It was cut from the final version of AOTC for obvious reasons.

4. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I don't believe an "extended" scene was filmed, nor does one exist. As far as I'm concerned, I think people who are dissatisfied with the scene, like to spread rumors of an extended scene which was spurred on the by novelization.

5. advent

advent Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2003
    " I don't believe an "extended" scene was filmed, nor does one exist. As far as I'm concerned, I think people who are dissatisfied with the scene, like to spread rumors of an extended scene which was spurred on the by novelization."

I have to say, I'm of the same opinion as you.

6. Emperor's Prize

Emperor's Prize Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 1999
    I actually appreciate the fact that Lucas gives us very little to see in that scene - and leaves it to Anakin to confess the entire act to Padme. Had we seen Anakin's full act of murder, I don't think his confession would have been as surprising, compelling, or as dramatic.

7. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Well, I'm one of the few who believes Lucas did film at least one scene with an extended slaughter.

Not to say I was dissapointed with the scene, it just seems like such an importaint sequence in the film, and to the entire series, would be filmed numerous times, with different lengths and brutality to each sequence.

8. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    I'd have expected at least one or two stills to have been discovered though, like the two-sabre Dooku shots and so on.

9. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    I wonder if Anakin ever confessed about this slaughter to Obi-Wan,Yoda probably asked about it after the events in AOTC were over, and im pretty certain that Supreme Chancellor Palpatine/Lord Sidious felt skywalkers pain too maybe during his own meditating on the Dark Side,after feeling this he would know that the Chosen One was truly close to the dark side and might be a suitable apprentice later on.

10. SITHlover

SITHlover Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    I don't know if any extra footage was actually filmed but I hope it never gets added if there is.

First I agree with the others here that not knowing makes the confession scene all that much more surprising but more importantly, there is NO tastful way to show the slaughter of children. Sandpeople or otherwise. It was implied and thats enough.

11. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    I think Yoda and Mace would definitely be interesting talking to Anakin. I wonder if there will be any repercussions about this in Episode 3.

Well, you know, in how Anakin is perceived in the Jedi Order, not in terms of the obvious 'turns into Vader' stuff :p

12. Emperor's Prize

Jun 17, 1999
    I agree that Anakin's reputation in the Jedi order will be diminished as a result of his actions against the Sandpeople. Even if the Jedi never find out about about his marriage, Anakin's actions on Tatooine would bring about at least some sort of inquiry. I'm anxious to see what kind of impact this may have on Ep. III.

13. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    I wonder if perhaps Yoda and Mace decide to just keep it between themselves, Obi-Wan and Anakin, rather than telling everyone...?

14. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    I think it is better that they kept the footage short, as was shown in the film. If the scene went in too much detail, I think Lucas would have put off too many in the audience and have taken away any sympathy that we might feel for Anakin. There is a big difference b/w one saying I killed everyone (men, women, and children) and actually showing it on screen. Lucas would have lost the audience and their sympathy for Anakin, which he doesn't want to do.

15. Emperor's Prize

Jun 17, 1999
    I wonder if perhaps Yoda and Mace decide to just keep it between themselves, Obi-Wan and Anakin, rather than telling everyone...?
    I've thought that this could be a possibility as well. How much good would it do for everyone to know that the "Chosen One" has embraced the Dark Side (however briefly). Clearly, though, the Tusken slaughter will impact Anakin's decisions in Ep. III.

16. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    I don't think Yoda or Mace have any idea what happened on Tatooine. I think Yoda just sensed Anakin's pain and suffering. I don't think he sensed what caused that pain and suffering nor do I think he saw what Anakin did. Had Yoda known what Anakin did, he would have done something about it. Either by spending more time w/ Anakin or informing Obi-Wan about it at the end when Mace asked Obi where Anakin was. Anakin's acts were too severe to ignore. I don't think any of the Jedi know about what happened, nor will they ever find out. Anakin, out of shame and fear, will never tell Obi-Wan or any of the Jedi what happened. Only Padme will know what happened.

17. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Yoda might not have known exactly what happened, but then he would've been prompted to ask Anakin what happened. And Mace was there when Yoda picked up on Anakin's emotions, so he'd be interested too.

Anakin could just say 'My mother died', but even if he left it at that I think Yoda and Mace are too wise to just take things on face value.

18. Shadowtrooper

Shadowtrooper Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2003
    I think Yoda just sensed Anakin's pain and suffering.

Well, to fully understand the truth here I think we need to know whether Yoda heard Qui-Gon's exhorting Anakin to stop. IMHO he did, but others may have different opinions.

19. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Sometimes people don't understand the concept 'Less is more' and this is one of those cases. We knew the atrocity of the situation and the nature of Anakin's actions. I think those who were dissatisfied with this scene should step back and ask themselves, did the scene serve its purpose, which was to establish Anakin's first encounter with the Dark Side, and further the plot accordingly?

20. DarthSil

DarthSil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    In all honesty, if you want the full version of the Tusken slaughter then buy a copy of the book. Even that was a little too detailed for my taste. And mercifully, it was not seen on screen.

21. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Under normal cirumcstances Yoda would find out what happened but with the war I don't think they can worry about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.