1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Melbourne (10th-12th April), Gold Coast (17th-19th April)

Oz Comic Con: Perth (11th-12 April), Adelaide (18th-19th April)

FF:NZ The Small Screen - TV Discussion

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kitt327, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr_Deflok Jedi Knight

star 1
    Anyone seen SPOOKS, also known as MI-5 in the states? It's supposed to be more intense than 24 and CSI, the DVD set is out at Whitcoulls for 60 or so dollars. It's been getting rave reviews, might have to grab it on the way to the movies tonight.
  2. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    For you battlestar galactica fans, the latest Whitcoulls DVD newsletter lists a boxset coming out on December 11.
  3. Chansplace Jedi Master

star 4
    another box set? this is getting expensive.
    I can't remember the last time i bought a single DVD :p
  4. DrMaul Jedi Knight

star 1
    > I can't remember the last time i bought a single DVD

I know the feeling. Been looking forward to the BSG boxed set though!
  5. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
    speaking of BSG does anyone know if we are likely to see the new mini series? The new game looks pretty cool too.
  6. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    I see Perfect Strangers is starting next week on Prime ... that's another one of those classic 80s sitcoms - the guy in Chicago, whose cousin Balkie, a sheep-herder from some remote island, moves in with him.

I'm hoping they'll re-run Dif'rent Strokes one of these days ... I haven't seen that one since I was a sprout.
  7. Mr_Deflok Jedi Knight

star 1
    I was surprised to see that Balkie had some semblance of a career after Perfect Strangers... damn that was an awesome TV Show.
  8. -SILVER- Jedi Knight

star 3
    A couple of hours ago... my Tee-Vee blew up!!! :mad:

I was lookin' forward to watching T3 DVD on xmas day. :mad:

9. SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Knight

star 3
    > I'm hoping they'll re-run Dif'rent Strokes one of these days ... I haven't seen that one since I was a sprout.

I saw some old episodes of that a while back, and just couldn't believe how absolutely awful it was. You know how sme shows age gracefully ands are still good fun? Well this one wasn't.

I read some stuff about the new Battlestar gallatica show the other day. There are some quite major changes. The show has been "reimagined for a post 9/11 word". (Their words, not mine.) Starbuck is now a women, and the Cylons are cloned humans who have vaged war on their creators. I'm not sure if they wear the armor theat they wore in the original series, but the one Cylon you see is a lithe blonde woman. Hmmmm

Now, to shows I'm wondering if anyone remembers.

"Tales Of The Gold Monkey" and "Automan".

"Tales ..." was a TV knock-off of the Indianna Jones films, and "Automan" was a hybrid of "Tron" and a typical 80s cop show.

I guess I'm showing my ages here ...

STH
  10. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Well, you KNOW I'll remember them both.

Golden Monkey - the guy had a big old Cargo plane and a small monkey. I recall him making an artificial horizon indicator out of 1/2 a hip flask of whiskey. He was a mini-Macguyver too.

And Automan was pretty cool - the best bit of course was the 90 degree angles the car would turn through.

I preferred Riptide to both of those though. ;)

11. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
    Starbuck is a woman WTF!!!
    I remember tales of the gold monkey, automans a bit fuzzy. and as for different strokes "whatchu talkin bout willis"
  12. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    That would be WTH Mr Graal.
  13. Chansplace Jedi Master

star 4
    thats such a mature statement for a 19 year old :p

I remember Automan, I think i remember reading somewhere it was canned after a season because it wasnt that popular. from what i remeber it was great, but i was pretty young. I wonder if theres somewhere i can d/load some old eposodes to bring back some memories.
  14. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    I saw some old episodes of that a while back, and just couldn't believe how absolutely awful it was. You know how sme shows age gracefully ands are still good fun? Well this one wasn't.

It's kind of sad to watch it with the foreknowledge of how most of the principal cast ended up, which is another thing about watching 80s shows.

I haven't had a chance to check out Perfect Strangers to see whether it aged gracefully or not ... there's been too much happening on the news, recently.
  15. solo77 Force Ghost

star 5
    I've flicked over to Perfect Strangers a couple of times this week..can't say it's that good.

That Balki guy is just plain annoying, most of his humour comes when he says American sayings wrong.
  16. Mr_Burns Force Ghost

star 4
    The Clone Wars cartoons are airing again on Cartoon Network in January. The first episode airs on January 5th at 9:30pm. The other episodes air on the following nights at 9:30pm (except Sunday 12th), and are repeated at midnight.

Tomorrow (Saturday) Sky 1 is airing George Lucas' first film, THX-1138 at the rather awkward time of 3:45am. Worth taping if you can, since it seems to be quite hard to come by in NZ.

An installment of The Directors documentary series featuring Lucas is airing on January 3rd (12:15am, 12:15pm) and January 6th (11:35am) on Sky Movies.

Did anyone catch the George Lucas Biography on the History Channel a couple of weeks back? I only found out about it at the last minute. It was two hours long with ads, and had a lot of interesting footage and interviews, including a few rare behind the scenes clips from the original trilogy. Doesn't appear to be scheduled for a repeat in the near future, but I'm sure it will be at some point.
  17. YouAgain Force Ghost

star 5
    The george lucas biography was quite good and really thourugh (sp) but only went up 2 before epii was released....

Did anyone tape THX-1138? If they did could they pm me cause I'd like to get a copy of it.... to borrow or someone may be able to tape to tape it.....
  18. -SILVER- Jedi Knight

star 3
    I have a crush on TV3's Sarah Bradley. [face_love]
    Although she's put on a lot of weight as of late. :eek:
    Then again, perhaps she's pregnant??? ?[face_plain]

Ohhh, Mike King's just not funny.
    Not funny I tells ya!!!
  19. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I thought his cellphone message to Jeremy Wells was hilarious.

20. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    So, anyone watching NZ Idol?
  21. YouAgain Force Ghost

star 5
    My little sister is into all of those reality shows and keeps up with all of them, So if I have nothing else do do I'll sometimes watch them.... I watched it last week and thought it was ok...... although its a bit over-rated!
  22. -Winter- Jedi Knight

star 2
    Nah, never watched it.

TV3 is now showing the new season of The Simpsons at 7:30 on Wednesdays :). They even started with the Halloween special. It was pretty funny when Homer couldn't eat the donuts then tried to kill himself only to find the knife was replaced with a banana :D.
  23. -SILVER- Jedi Knight

star 3
    I bet my next door neighbour's dog that Camillia wins NZ IDOL ... it's really a one horse race.
  24. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, there's a while to go yet. But I agree that she is a stand-out ... couldn't believe it when Paul said 'No' at her audition.
  25. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    There's a bunch of new 'best of' classic tv DVDs out ... I saw them advertised in the k-mart brochure for 24.95.

There's A-team, Magnum P.I., Miami Vice, Northern Exposure, and Knight Rider.

I got the Knight Rider one from amazon.uk a while back ... its a nice collection, and includes the pilot. Not sure what the others are like.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.