1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Sydney (16th-18th June), Perth (23rd-25th June)

Oz Comic Con: Melbourne (1st-2nd July), Brisbane (23rd-24th September)

FF:NZ The Small Screen - TV Discussion

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kitt327, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    Heh, I've got another online acquaintance who's a huge fan of the series, and he's been talking about how great the DVD set is, too.

I saw a few episodes, and I thought it was very well acted. The cast should have picked up awards for that. I recall one Star Wars reference, in the episode where the geeks attended the sex-ed class, and afterwards the teacher is saying to the guy 'I was a little disturbed by your question' and he's like 'how did you know it was mine? it was supposed to be anonymous!' and the teacher is like 'yours was the only one on Star Wars note paper' :)

I loved the episode where they served non-alcholic beer at the sister's party, and the guests were all lying around complaining about how drunk they were.
  2. Mr_Burns Jedi Master

star 4
    There's also an 8-disc set, but unfortunately it's only available in the US and Canada (although if you e-mail them they might be able to send it to you). TV2 and Sky 1 have both repeated the series at least a couple of times. It pops up in morning graveyard slots sometimes.

The new TVNZ [link=http://www.tvnz.co.nz]website[/link] has finally debuted.
  3. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    Aw, Kitt cameoed on the Simpsons again :) The original actor did his voice, too.
  4. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Wednesday's new Simpsons (with Milhaus as an Eminem wannabe & Lisa & Bart becoming friends and Homer making money as a hobo) was one of the best episodes I've seen in several years. A true return to form. Much of the last few seasons has left me cold, so this was a pleasant surprise!
  5. solo77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I here you JP, my flat mate and I said the exact same thing after it had finished.
    It was great, I couldn't stop laughing, especially at Homer being a bum [face_laugh]
  6. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, I agree. My favourite part (aside from Kitt's brief cameo) was the balsa wood and rubber band aeroplane :D I liked the one last week with the historical reenactments too.
    I'm really enjoying Simpsons repeats at 7.00 every night, especially as its got into the later seasons which haven't been repeated as much. I'm hoping to finally see the one where Mark Hamill cameos this time around - I've missed it every other time its screened.
  7. SithForceLord Jedi Master

star 6
    I neeeeeeeeed a tv card for this computer. Sucks without a TV, even for just the weather. I hardly have the time to sit on nzoom reading the news. It's far better to blob out and just absorb it via a news reader. And it gives a better description of the upcomming weather than the brief sentence they provide on web sites. Esp. when entering the mountains and they havnt updated the site and it's friday and you want sat and sun's weather and it's not up yet. GRRRR

I miss the simpsons and it makes it worse if they're actually good one's I'm missing. //sigh//
  8. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 10
    > I'm hoping to finally see the one where Mark Hamill cameos this time around - I've missed it every other time its screened.

That episode, bundled with 3 others is just out on standalone DVD for under $30. It has Darth Homer & Bart Skywalker on the cover. There's another DVD similarly themed with Mulder & Scully with Homer on the front inthe "Simpsons Classics" series.

[link=http://www.gpstore.co.nz/DVDs/1463254.html]Clickie here for more info[/link]

[image=http://www.gpstore.co.nz/images/products/1463254.jpg]
  9. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks JP, that's great. Heh, the ad on the left of that page is for Kurosawa's 'Seven Samurai', George Lucas' favourite Kurosawa film.
  10. -SILVER- Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I was right about Sarah Bradley (3 News) being pregnant.
  11. SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling

star 3
    > I was right about Sarah Bradley (3 News) being pregnant.

??? I don't think anyone else here cared.

But hey, whatever floats your boat, buddy.
  12. AnariaZar-Rel Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Did anyone else watch tonights new Simpsons episode? It had the Cosmic Wars bit.

13. RED_RAPTOR_ONE Jedi Youngling

Heck yeah, awesome episode. Go Dall Curtis or whatever the name of the George Lucas spoof was. And what is the name of the 'Whichitah Linesman' (Sp?)? That can't possibly be the title can it? Anyone know anything about it? I so wanna put it on my answering machine! :p
  14. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Awesome episode. I couldn't believe 1/2 the show was an Star Wars pisstake. Loved Lucas's Tauntaun!

And yeah, it's Witchita Lineman, by Jimmy Webb originally. No doubt you can get an MP3 of Homer's version from the web to record down your phone line to your answering machine, but if you really wanna freak out callers, use Paul Holmes' version.

The Cosmic Wars Opening Crawl

The Gathering Shadow

It is a time of uncertainty. The
    empire's ambiguous tariff statutes
    mandate close reexamination of
    galactic import quotas. Interim
    Princess Agoomba has co-chaired
    a subcommittee to draft amendments
    to existing trade policies

Meanwhile, regulatory agencies
    are being heavily lobbied by a
    consortium of mercantile interest
    groups and their suppliers to
    streamline loading restrictions for
    class C cargo vessels. The shipping...

Classic. :D
  15. Kazzy Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I don't usually get an opportunity to watch the whole show. I usually only get to watch the end, but I did this time. So glad I did! :D
  16. RED_RAPTOR_ONE Jedi Youngling

I owe you one JP-30! Cheers boss!
  17. -Winter- Jedi Youngling

star 2
    w00t, thanks jp for posting that! The crawl was too fast and I couldn't catch it all. Hilarious. :D
  18. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Well, I just cut and pasted it from some website.
  19. SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling

star 3
    That was a great episode of The Simpsons, although it cut pretty close to the bone. Has anyone heard if there was any reaction from the Lucasfilm camp? Simpsons is broadcast on Fox, which obviously has a pretty vested interest in the Star Wars franchise,

> And what is the name of the
    > 'Whichitah Linesman'?

The song is "Wichita Lineman". It was written by Jimmy Webb, and the most famous version was performed by Glen Campbell. It used to feature on a Vegemite (or maybe Marmite) ad some years back. It's one of my all-time favourite songs.

The other song Homer sung in that episode ("Someone left the cake out in the rain ...") was another Jimmy Webb number, "Macarthur Park". This song was originally sung by the recently deceased British actor Richard Harris, who played Dumbledore in the first two Harry Potter movies. Some people think this is the worst song of all time. Personally I think its genius.
  20. Chansplace Jedi Padawan

star 4
    that episode was funnnnnny :)
  21. SithForceLord Jedi Master

star 6
    Two words: No TV.

Two more words: Need TVcard

/\ note my top quality skills to transform two words into one. :cool:
  22. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 10
    I see C4 are replaying the brilliant Ren & Stimpy show and, even better, they're playing the new series from Ren & Stimpy creator John Kricfalusi "The RIpping Friends".

:D

23. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    There were a number of fans dressed up in Star Wars costumes at the convention on last night's ep, too.
  24. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Yep. I have been enjoying the recent new episodes very much. :)

25. TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight

star 5
    do you have a lot of digital tv in NZ or is there still a lot of analog channels?
    I was just wondering whether my tv card will be getting anything in NZ (it's an analog card).

-Mel
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.