main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

THE SMALL & THE BIG - THE START/END OF BOTH TRILOGIES

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarthWolvo23, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    After seeing ROTS for the first time I was somewhat let down by the lack of "yoda arriving on dagobah scene".

However after considering the saga as a whole, the ending of ROTS now makes perfect sense to me the way it is.

Consider this - if viewing the saga 4-6 then 1-3 (which is my preferred order) - we start on the blockade runner which holds Vader (Anakin) & Leia. Quickly we are moved to Tatooine via the droids, who introduce us to Luke. This is a very personal start to the saga - and unkown to us at the time - we have just encountered all the Skywalkers for the first time.

Now move to the end of ROTJ - after seeing Luke burn vaders armour we are given a quick tour of the galaxy - we see celebrations on endor, bespin, tatooine and for the first time naboo & coruscant. It is really the first time we are given a glimpse of the galactic impact of the rebels victory. We see the scope of the galaxy as we havent previously done.

With the prequels we stay with this larger view of the galaxy, as events in the prequels are by their nature less personal and more galactic. Indeed the planets featured in TPM are Tatooine but also Naboo & Coruscant - it is as if the ending of ROTJ gave us a quick preview of worlds that would (already have!) play(-ed) a massive role in the galaxy.

The prequels carry on introducing us to many worlds, especially ROTS, we see more planets than in all the OT put together. However, how does the saga end?

Just as it started - we see the fates of the Skywalkers. The fact we are aboard the same ship & end on the same planet as the first two sets of the saga just make it all the better.

The saga has started on a personal level and gradually got more and more expansive and wide ranging, until right at the end we see again how the fate of this galaxy rests on the fate of one family.

2. JBRO13

JBRO13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2003
    Pretty good observation.

Additionally:

We meet Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon at the beginning of Episode I. Of the two, only Qui-Gon dies, and his death changes the ultimate fate of the galaxy. Obi-Wan, however, works to uncover everything that's happening throughout the trilogy.

We meet Darth Vader and Leia at the beginning of Episode IV. Of the two, only Vader dies, and his death changes the ultimate fate of the galaxy. Leia, however, works to uncover everything that's happening throughout the trilogy.

3. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005

4. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    i see ur point, i just think that i will always to prefer to watch in release order. personal preference i spose

in fact the best way to watch is circular: OT-PT-OT-PT.....etc!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.