General ~*~*The Smallville Discussion thread*~*~(may contain season 4 spoilers-blacked out)

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by Jedi_Humaira_Blaine, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Okay! :D I thought it was time to start a Smallvillle Discussion thread here. I know a few of us like the series and I'm a huge fan myself.

All those who are part of this chapter/region and those who visit may join in discssion.

Of course the same no spam, no flames and no trolling rules apply. But then...we know that, so let's get talking about all things Smallville.

And I mean the series, the stars, the characters, the spoilers the rumours...the works! (Spoilers for season 3 4 can be blacked out and a warning placed in the post. :))

Okey dokey...Clarke, Lana, Lex, Chloe, let's get going! ;)

[image=http://www.devotedtosmallville.com/imagegallery/albums/cast/smallville/1s8.jpg] [image=http://www.devotedtosmallville.com/imagegallery/albums/cast/smallville/season2group1.jpg]
  2. Lord-Tice Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    [face_dancing] :D

I love this show and it is one of the best TV serials ever made IMO!!

I do not need to tell people how gorgeous Lana Lang is [face_love]
    Nor how hunky Clark is but I'll leave that to you Pash :p ;)

Anyways, I read something recently which was quite interesting. Apparantly Warner Brothers original wanted to do a TV series based on a young Bruce Wayne, but somewhere along the development they decided to base it on Clark kent/Superman instead.
    I'm pretty confident that the success of Smallville gave the green light for the new Batman film, which like Smallville, will focus on a young Bruce Wayne trying to find his feet and place in society.

I think the writing for Smallville has been top notch and goes so much deeper then any other programme I've seen in recent times. I think they've taken a lot of risks with the show and it's payed off.
    With each season it just keeps getting better and better in all areas, especially the acting, and I have high hopes for Season 4 :D
  3. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I do not need to tell people how gorgeous Lana Lang is

Heh, she's very beautiful Matt...I agree totally.

Nor how hunky Clark is but I'll leave that to you Pash

And Pash can go on for days about that hunkamuffin farm boy...er but I'll shut up! :p Heheh. [face_mischief]

Wow, that is interesting Matt. The WB started off with a Batman concept and it became Superman...I'm sure the young Bruce Wayne would have been darker...what with the way the movies have been. And ofcourse Bruce Wayne was like other guys, except for the fancy gadgets.

Perhaps they felt there was more to tell about the young Clarke Kent! And whoopee for that idea! :D

And you're onto something the with the new Bat flick. Yep, having Christian Bale take over means a younger hero and it could make things really interesting to see Batman as he was starting out. :cool:

smallville writing

So true, Matt. :) What I love is that each episode is packed with information. I assume a lot of the ideas and foreshadowing clues come from the comics and all that built up superman legend too...its great for people like me who haven't been exposed to the comics. I learn laods about the Superman stories just by watching Smallville! [face_love]

characters and acting

Definitely...I love the direction everything is going in right now. Season 2 has been simply fantastic and I can just see a darker Lex, a more vicious Lionel, an edgier Clarke (hold on to your seats ladies! [face_devil] ) and more complex Lana and Chloe.

I say bring it on! :D =D=
  4. Lord-Tice Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think they definitely made the right choice by going with Superman rather then Batman. I agree that there are a lot more options with Superman and that's been really well reflected so far. It's much more complex in many respects, especially with Jor-El's involvement which raises so many questions, but in a good way :p

I read some of the comics in my teens, I was mainly attracted by the 'Death of Superman' series. I don't think the comics ever went into much detail about his youth so it's fair to say the writers have taken things much further ;)
    What I relly love is how Clark and Lex are friends but we all know they will became dark enemies in the future....it's just a question of when and how? ;)
    Not to mention the will they/wont they question.....which is really frustrating and almost leaves me in tears or screaming.....or both,lol :p

Pash, have you seen any of the Superman films with Christopher Reeve?? :)

And all your predicitions for the characters are pretty much spot on....bring it on indeed!! :D

5. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I haven't watched any Smallville/Superman stuff, ever. [face_blush]
  6. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Oh, xany...it's a lovely show and Clark is a real cutie. ;) And I love how it foreshadows the whole Superman story...brill! :D

From the spoilers I have peeked at Matt, Jor-El will make quite an impact on season 3 and I'm sure it's worth the wait. :cool: Season 2's dramatic clifhanger has me itching to see season 3! :eek:

'Death of Superman'
    It's funny you mentioned it coz I saw a comic from that series in my bookstore just the other day. I have ben looking at some of the Superman and Batman comics since I got into Smallville. Any recommendations as to what to start off with? :)

Actually, another board friend of mine (also called Matt ;) ) is also a fan of these movies and shows so I have heard about this from him too. :D

I am trying to get my hands on the Smallville novels, Matt. My bookshop had them some time ago and i have to inquire if they will get new stocks. :)

What I relly love is how Clark and Lex are friends but we all know they will became dark enemies in the future....it's just a question of when and how?

Took the words right out of my mouth. ;) Thats one of the main things that keeps this show going...that fantastic chemistry between Clarke and Lex and the knowledge that they will one day be enemies... :cool:

Hmm Matt, spoiler question for you...

I heard that Lex's behaviour in season 3 is leaning towards the Lex Luthor he will become much later..is this true? Is there enemity between him and Clarke in season 3? Yeah, curious Pash! :p

Pash, have you seen any of the Superman films with Christopher Reeve??

Yep Matt, I am sure I saw Superman I and II. Isn't II the one where he blocks up the dam or something? :confused: I remember him spinning round the world at lightspeed. :eek:

However, I intend to borrow all the films and watch them...probably Supergirl as well. That one I saw a long time ago and I did enjoy the Superman flicks so this will be great. :)
  7. Lord-Tice Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Xan- I can't recommend Smallville enough, so if you ever get the chance, check it out :cool:

Jor-El becomes a bigger problem during season 3 that's for sure, but I have a feeling there's a bit of misunderstanding going on. I feel there's a lot more that needs explaining and I think season 4 will be a real eye-opener. But maybe I'm just getting confused because in the first film Jor-El is a really nice guy, lol.

I would recommend The Death of Superman series Pash :D
    But to read the full story, you will also have to get hold of the Funeral for a Friend and Reign of Superman comics, which might prove tricky because I don't know how easy that would be. There is a novel adaption you can get called: The Death and Life of Superman: A Novel but I don't know how good that is and it looks expensive :( Plus the comics are better IMO ;)
    But if you can get hold of The Death of Superman graphic novel that that's a good start :)

As for Batman, I would recommend the Knightfall series which again is quite big but really good. I would also recommned anything with Frank Miller's name onit, especially The Dark Knight Returns and Batman:Year One which has greatly influenced the new Batman Begins film......but they are really dark comics so prepare yourself ;)

Argh, would that be Darth-Sinister Pash??

If you have trouble getting the Smallville books then I would gladly get some sent to you. They are easy to get hold of over here so just give me a shout if need be :)

Spoiler answer for you pash......
    I wont say too much Pash (unless you want me too ;) ), but there are hints that Lex will become enemies with Clark/Superman in the future. But Lex becomes determined to bring someone else down during Season 3, and Clark's biggest threat is Lionel but there's a good reason for that......oooh season 3 is just a wealth of events, I just hope it comes your way super soon.

It sounds like you have seen some of the Superman films Pash :D
    But what I find funny is that in Superman III Anette O'Toole plays Lana Lang, but now she's playing Clark's mum, lol. Also, Terrance stamp played General Zod in Superman I & II and now he does the voice for Jor-El. Great stuff :D
    Oh, and it was really good having Christopher Reeve play Dr.Swann too, a very nice touch.
  8. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Thanks for the comics info Matt, :) I'll definitely be checking them out. Probably one at a time but it may prove really interesting! :D

Hmm, you're right..,I'm a bit skeptical about the superman novel you mentioned. I will probably take it slow so I can get a hang of the story...then again, I have two Matts to bug regarding the details! [face_mischief]

Oh and yes, Matt...the other Matt is infact, darth-sinister. Hey, cool...you guys know each other? :D

Regarding the Batman comics...hmm, dark might be just right, after all it's Batman yeah? :cool: And I have the same habit when it comes to authors...I'll keep an eye out.
    Chances are that all of the series comics won't be available but I'll see what I can find. It'll be one of Pash's usual days at the bookshop! [face_love]

If you have trouble getting the Smallville books then I would gladly get some sent to you. They are easy to get hold of over here so just give me a shout if need be

Matt, you're an angel [:D] and thank you but guess what? I found a small stack of novels today, at my bookshop! [face_dancing] A bit pricey coz of the TV show's popularity I guess...but i picked up 3 novels. If I remember right the titles are:- Dragon, Curse and oh...something else! ;)
    I was pretty thrilled, as you might imagine :p and I hope to pick more of the books up over the next week or so. [face_dancing]

Hey, I'll leave a review if the books are good...in case you ever want to pick 'em up. :)

In response to the spoiler:-

Hmm, hinting at Lex's evil turn is definitely going to get the ratings up in season 4. Everyone wants to know "wehn" it will happen. And Lionel is the big baddie...why am I not surprised?!? Argh, that man...but he's so good at the role too!

Don't worry you haven't given too much away Matt...but I'll probably bug you soon enough! [face_laugh]

Oh Superman III...I haven't seen it yet, Matt but I picked up Superman:The movie today. I hope to watch it tomorrow and get back into the Superman groove. It was brilliant when I saw it back when I was a kid.
    Annette O'Toole is lovely and I hope to pick up the 3rd installment ASAP. :) And all the other cast memebers showing up in Smallville is truly awesome.

Oh I loved Virgil Swan in the episode ROsetta wasn't it? :cool:

Wanna know what gave me chills? ;)

The ultra cool foreshadowing of the Superman theme that they played whenever the truth about Kal-El was told to Clark...it's so goosebumpish and fantastic! I was thinking:- Wow, wow, wow! :eek:

9. AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    ok I wanna watch all the series you are talking about :(

I saw some on channel four before but ended up missing them because the time clashed with other priorities :(
  10. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Aiyooo! :(

[:D] for Jean. [face_love]

Hey sweetie! Hope you're doing well.

This show is brilliant actually. I am dying to start reading the novels. Y'know an idea might be to pick up the DVDs of season 1 and see how you like it. :) If you're anything like me you will! :D

Of course, you could say I'm kinda biased in favour of the hunky farm boy! [face_mischief]
  11. AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    :D

[:D] I'm good, you? :)

I'm kinda biases in favour of the hunky farm boy
    And I'm not? [face_mischief]

I can get series 1 here for about $60 Canadian which isn't too bad so I might try that, or the books. I have alot of free time on my hands these days.

Infact gone most the way through Mike's DVD collection already :p
  12. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I'm doing okay, babe. :) [:D]

Hmm, Mike's DVD collection is getting a good work out. ;)

As for the books, I can let you know about the ones I read which are good. :D And the DVDs...sounds like a plan. :)

Oh, you're biased too? [face_mischief] Join the club...
    Gosh Jean, we have the same taste in guys. Dangerous, me thinks! ;)

Hmm, Clarke Kent makes me want to put on a comfy shirt, jeans and head on down to the farm! Actually, cleaning a stall sounds like a good idea if he's around to provide the distraction! ;)
  13. AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    That it is, also been buying a few DVDs since being here but they are all like $16.99 Canadian which is damn cheap.

Oohhh thank you sweetie :D

lol seems very dangerous indeed!

[face_laugh]
    Pash you are terrible! ;)
  14. Lord-Tice Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    then again, I have two Matts to bug regarding the details!

lol, feel free to bug me. I don?t mind and I?ll do my best to try and explain everything ;)
    It?s best to try and find the Graphic Novels for each story series, which are basically all the individual comics put into one big comic book :D
    It can get a bit confusing at times knowing what is what though, but the truth is you can pick up any Graphic Novel and enjoy it. But the Death of Superman and Knightfall where big deals back in the day :cool:
    The Dark Knight Returns is an intertesing one though, it?s set in the future and at the end Batman and Superman actual have a fight....I wont tell you who won though :p

Yep, I know darth-Sinister. He was my Highlander buddy and he knows pratically everything about it. I haven?t spoken to him for a while though so he might not remember me, great guy though :)

Yay!! Congrats on getting the books, and some reviews would be great :D
    There is a guide book you can get which sounds good as it does compare the goings on of Smallville with the Superman myths from the comics......very tempting to get that I must say.

Part of me is dying to tell you what happens in season 3 Pash, but the other half knows better because I don?t want to spoil things for you. Watching events unfold has so much impact and that?s the way it should be seen. I hope you don?t think I?m being mean but you will thank me for it later ;)
    But I will say this: One of my favourite actors, Rutger Hauer, appears in one epsiode of season 3 and does a great job. He is also in the new Batman film too. Brill!!!! [face_dancing]

The ultra cool foreshadowing of the Superman theme that they played whenever the truth about Kal-El was told to Clark...it's so goosebumpish and fantastic! I was thinking:- Wow, wow, wow!

:eek: I had the exact same experience. It really put a smile to my face too, it was perfect. The good news is that Swann returns for season 3, but we don?t know if he?s really friend or foe and I have no doubt he?ll be used even more in the future.

I really like the first Superman film. It?s a classic!! I like the way how the beginning links in nicely with Superman II and I think Marlin Brando?s calming performance as Jor-El works really well. I don?t need to say how good Christopher Reeve is, it speaks for itself =D=

As for the DVDs, it looks like a twin boxset containing season 1&2 is due out soon, which works out to be quite cheap even for us :D

And I dare not tell you two what the last shot of Season three consists of....or what it doesn?t consist of perhaps [face_mischief] :p
  15. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Sounds like a good deal, Jean! :D

Pash you are terrible!

[face_mischief]

Uh huh! [face_devil]

I'll bet it's even better to watch Clark bench press the tractor! ;) Hmm, they always refer to it...when's the cutsie pie going to do that? :p Oh..wait...he kinda did once...I think. :confused:

Yep, I know darth-Sinister. He was my Highlander buddy
    Yep, Matt used to explain Highlander stuff to me as well, coz I had missed the seasons after season 2 or 3. :) Cool! :cool:

...reviews would be great

Will do, of course! Oh I'm reading Dragon at the moment. It's an ALan Grant novel and so far it's brilliant! :D I love the characterisation...Chloe and Pete are spot on. And Clark is well... [face_love]. Argh, I'm biased! [face_laugh]

Watching events unfold has so much impact
    Oh for sure, Matt! Can't beat that "boom boom, wow" feeling, no? [face_dancing]

Rutger Hauer
    Whooo! :cool: My mum might like to see that episode. He does some interesting roles. And he's in Batman too...now that's a coincidence.

I am still part way through Superman I and I did like Marlon Brando...he's class! Oh Chris Reeve does a fine job doesn't he? Ofcourse I think Tom Welling adds more Ooomph to the Clark role. [face_devil]

Hmm...the heat went up in the thread! :p

I've heard rumours of the Kryptonite girl in season 3 and I'm so intrigued. Can't wait! [face_dancing]

Looks like you aer getting a good DVD deal there. :) I hoep I can find one with the extras, though. Mie doens't have 'em. *sniff* :( Maybe a new edition will come out here. :)

16. AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    It is, things are damn cheap here. They have a third DVD here that has the pilot episode on as well I think which is about $15.

lol I have taught you well Pash [face_mischief]

As for Highlander how many Highlander things are there because there seems to be a few different versions on over here. One I keep seeing has a woman which is the main character.
  17. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    lol I have taught you well Pash

[face_mischief]

But of course, my dark master! ;)

Hmm, I am not sure of the exchange rates with Canadian currency at the momemt. But I must say I got a decent deal on my season 2 set. :) Hmm, except for the fact that it had a widescreem band above and belove that occasionally took off a little of Tom Wellings very purrrty face. :( ;)

I guess I could get the season 1 set now. I saw it on video but having it will be great!

Oh the pilot episode, Jean?
    My recomendation would be to get it if it's priced reasonably. It's brilliant! [face_love] A lot of things make sense after watching the pilot and its lovely to see the first few moments of Clark's "Lana daze" at the begining of the highschool year. :D

Hmm, then again it's just a treat to watch Clark anyway. ;)

Edit:-

Oh the Highlander season you're refering to may just be season 2 or 3. Elizabeth Gracen was playing a main role by then...she was playing Amanda.
  18. AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    lol well Canadian $ is $2.5 to the £ or about 80cents more than the US $ :D

[face_laugh]
    Thanks for the recommendation ;)

Ah yes thats it, problem here is they have a few different channels playing Highlander so you never know where they are exactly up to :confused:
  19. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Hmm if it's close to the dollar then it must be good. I rememebr I got my LOTR DVDs from the US and the price was really good, especially for EE versions. :D

Hmm, lots of channels playing it, is it? Won't they notice if another channel played the same programme? :confused:

Gosh here, Smallville season 1 had a good run and then Season 2 never came. :mad: Thank goodness the DVDs arrived. :D
  20. AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Don't ask me I am confused with this, some channels are Canadian and some are American so who knows :p

Aww that sucks :(
    Alot of things we never end up seeing or at least is never advertised. For example I had never heard of the Gilmore girls until you mentioned it.
  21. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    [face_laugh]

Confusing all right! Imagine them fighting for ratings? [face_laugh]

Its sad no? When good shows don't get played in lots of places. :( I infact asked the tv station about Smallville via email. Yep, one of those evenings when I didn't have much to do! ;)
    No response to date...imagine? :eek: So much for Pr and customer service! :p

Now the Gilmore Girls is a lovely show [face_love]...my mom and I never miss it! :) I have a feeling you'd love it. :)
  22. AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    lol
    Guess that person has alot to do :p

Gilmore girls is on tonight so I will try to check it out :)

I think my best chance of seeing Smallville is definatly buying it as on tv it's never a good time slot for me :(
  23. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Sounds brill! :D

Oh and if you have a Gilmore question...or a Smallville question you can always fire me a question! ;) I'm more than happy to explain! [face_love]

Hmm, the novels are also nice when you want some light reading... Smallville I mean. ;)
  24. Lord-Tice Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I love the characterisation...Chloe and Pete are spot on. And Clark is well... . Argh, I'm biased!

lol, when it comes to Smallville we are all bias.....Lana [face_love] ;)
    I quite like books that are light reads as it makes a nice change form the big, hefty ones I?m usually reading.

The Rutger Hauer episode is near the beginning of season three. He is a friend of Lionel (well, a business friend, if you know what I mean) so needless to say he?s out to cause trouble and boy, does he cause trouble! ;)

Spolier for Pash: The Kryptonite girl appears in the finale and is a very interetsting character. Again I wont say too much, but she has a significant role.....oh and she?s also quite nice too, lol. These casting directors do a great job

Oh Chris Reeve does a fine job doesn't he? Ofcourse I think Tom Welling adds more Ooomph to the Clark role.

I agree Pash, I think the Clark that Chris Reeve plays is very different to the one that Tom Welling plays but I think Tom does a great job and brings out the darker side to Superman/Kent very, very well. I always think Superman needs a bit more edge, and that?s what you get with Tom.
    I never really noticed it until season 2, but I really like the fact Clark wears a lot of red and blue cloths, it?s a great little nod to the future :D

I hope you can find a good DVD set Pash. If not, then it might be worth considering an import from the US or from here even. I still haven?t seen some of the episodes from Season One :eek:
    So I?m quite keen to get one.

As for Highlander, sounds like you are seeing the spin-off series which featured Amanda as the main character, which was called Highlander:The Raven
    It only lasted for one season and I?ve seen a few episodes but it wasn?t that great sadly.
  25. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    when it comes to Smallville we are all bias.....Lana

;) Suddenly I don't feel too guilty anymore! Heheh. Yay, we are allowed to have biases! :D

The books
    Just finished reading Dragon a few days ago. Really good stuff. Alan Grant writes well and his characterisation is brilliant. Matt, you're gonna love Pete's one liners everytime he catched Clark gazing at Lana! It's a real hoot! [face_laugh]

Looks like the Rutger Hauer episode will be good. :) And with him and Lex in the same room. Wow, that's gonna be electric coz I can imagine that Hauer's personality will be pretty strong and a good match for Lex's. :cool:

Spoiler related question

Matt is that Krypton girl, Supergirl as they keep hinting?:confused: If it is, then it's another WOW, WOW, WOW, from me! :eek: :cool: They frop these gems like no other show!

I think Tom does a great job and brings out the darker side to Superman/Kent very, very well. I always think Superman needs a bit more edge, and that?s what you get with Tom.

Yes, Matt...Tom's got a nice mix of all American farm boy meets bad boy. Phew...I just remembered the episode Red and now I wonder why the room got warm! Hahaha! [face_laugh]
    And the darker sides make appearances too. Remember the bit it Visage where he tells his parents about his feelings over Whitney's return? There was an honesty there that was both fresh and yet a bit dark. He was confessing that he really wished Whitney had not come back...like Whitney being alive was a hinderence.
    Didn't think I'd see that but it was a great moment! :cool:

I never really noticed it until season 2, but I really like the fact Clark wears a lot of red and blue cloths, it?s a great little nod to the future

Matt, would you believe that I've been hopping in front of the TV set telling mom, "look he's wearing the Superman blue shirt with his red jacket mom! Is't that spooky?"
    And i'm not the only one who noticed it! Brill! And its such a lovely hint too...they use the right blue and it looks great on Tom... [face_love]

Pash is drifting again...okay, moving on! :p

I still haven?t seen some of the episodes from Season One

Any in particular, Matt? :)
    Oh and I hope I can get the special features on DVD too. :)

The Highlander series with Amanda might be Raven, yes. :D I remember Matt (the other one ;) ) telling me about it. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.