General ~*~*The Smallville Discussion thread*~*~(may contain season 4 spoilers-blacked out)

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by Jedi_Humaira_Blaine, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord-Tice Jedi Knight

star 5
    lol, no need to feel guilty. Afterall, we are all only human ;)

The Books
    I?m going to read some Terry Pratchet novels next, but I will try and get my hands on some Smallville books too. I?m sure I?ll love the one liners, slightly off-topic, but Highlander:The Series was brilliant at those one liners so I?m quite partial to them I must admit ;)

There may have been a slight misunderstanding Pash, but Rutger Hauer?s character is friends with Lionel and not lex....sorry to disappoint you [face_blush]
    I think we do see Rutger Hauer and Lex together, but it?s mainly him and Lionel scheming together and trying to out do the other. Great stuff! :D
    Oh, and during the football macth yesterday, Rutger Hauer featured in a Guiness advert. It was really short but very funny. I think his role in Batman Begins is small but you can?t go wrong with him really :cool:

Spoiler Answer:
    I say this with no certainty, but personally I don?t think the Krypton girl is Supergirl. There is of cause a chance she is and it was one of the first things that came to my mind when I first saw her, but I know little to nothing about Supergirl so I?m just going on instinct ;)
    There is something you will like though, Louis Lane is mentioned in one of the episodes...apparantly she?s related to Chloe

Remember the bit it Visage where he tells his parents about his feelings over Whitney's return?

Indeed I do, you could see just how disappointed he was because it meant his chances with Lana had gone right down, but he was still determined to have a go.
    There?s plenty of Dark Clark (hey, that rhymes :p ) to come, and Season 4 will be really interesting because things could go either way. I think it?s quite funny, because in the comics Batman doesn?t like Superman that much because Batman thinks he?s too political and a goody-too-shoes. But I think Smallville has thrown new light on this character and even Batman would be proud of him ;)

Pash is drifting again...okay, moving on!

Come back Pash, come back... :p
    lol, I think the red and blue looks great on Tom, and those two colours are not easy to pull-off IMO.

Any in particular, Matt?
    I was actually a late starter, so I missed the pilot ( :eek: ) and the first few episodes after that :(
    I didn?t have a TV when I was at uni, so I had no means to watch it during the week but I then realised it was repeated at the weekends when I did have a TV, so I started to watch it as soon as I could and haven?t looked back since :D

OK, I shall up the stakes a bit. There?s been talk of a new Superman film for years, and I believe both Kevin Smith and Tim Burton have been attached to it. The latest rumours a few months ago pitched Natalie Portman being cast as Louis Lane. What would you think about that?? :)
  2. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Books
    Its sometimes disappointing when authors don't get a character down pat...but when they do..its such a thrill. Coz it's like watching an episode isn't it? :D

Rutger Hauer?s character is friends with Lionel and not lex....sorry to disappoint you

Ahh, no probs Matt. Its gonna be crazier still, no? Oh my..Lionel Luthor and Rutger Hauer scheming...evil! [face_devil] I hope Lex gets to make some nice little sarcastic quips! ;)

Offtopic from me too, ;) but you mentioned football and I'm whoo hooing here coz England won againt Switzerland! Yay! [face_dancing] I'm over the moon...well done to your boys, Matt! :D =D=

All these comic book heroes in the movies today...really exciting stuff! :D

Spoiler answer of my own! ;)

Apparently Lois Lane is Chloe's cousin! Wild isn't it? So close to home for Clark! ;) But in the Superman movie Lois is much younger thatn Clark...I wonder what the age gap will be here? :confused:
    Hmm, I guess its gonna be a thrill ride to figure out who the mystery girl is! :)

As for the Lois reference...that's gonna be a biggie in my books! :cool:

There?s plenty of Dark Clark (hey, that rhymes)

[face_laugh]

Nice...heheh! I hope so too...squeaky clean is always lovely...but the darker side gives us a taste of what Clark is capable of. I loved Red as it was so different. Gosh he's such a hottie in that episode. [face_love] And to see the switch back to normal Clark. No wonder poor Lana get so confused! ;)

Come back Pash, come back...

Righty ho...I'm here! :p
    Agreed...the red and blue combo has the potential to make the guy wearing it look goofy...but not Tom! [face_mischief] Don't worry Matt, I'm still here! O:) :p

...the pilot!
    Yikes...gotta see that. Prob one of my faves from season 1. It was lovely and it was the much needed intro to the characters. :cool: Lots to look forward to there...the accident that Lex was rescued from, the explanation for Clark's sickness around Lana's necklace, the highschool prank pulled on Clark...loads of goodies! :D

The latest rumours a few months ago pitched Natalie Portman being cast as Louis Lane. What would you think about that??
    You're gonna kill me for this, Matt [face_mischief]...but I cannot imagine Natalie as Lois. [face_blush] Here comes the murderous look! ;)

Actually I think a fiestier woman is best [face_batting] ...someone like Kiera Knightly...at least that kind of attitude-y'know? :)

Oh heard this one? :-B Rumour has that the guy who's being approached for the role is Henry Cavill, who acted in The Count of Monte Cristo. Hmm, whatcha say Matt? :) I saw a recent pic..not bad, but whoever it is will have to live up to the standard set by his predecessors like Chris Reeve and Tom Welling. :)

And those are high standards indeed.

As for Lois's character...keep me posted. It's gonna be interesting to see how the casting goes! :cool:
  3. Lord-Tice Jedi Knight

star 5
    Books
    That?s right Pash, and with something like Smallville, all the characters are so well defined so it?s even more important they get it right for the books. I know there are some Highlander novels out there and I?d be interested to see how good they are too.
    I saw a Smallville 2004 Annual yesterday, lol. I didn?t look inside, but I think it was aimed for the younger viewrs ;)

Back to Mr.Hauer, his stuff with Lionel is brilliant but it doesn?t end too well for either of them. Seeing both of them on screen is really scary, but in a good way. Ooooh, I really can?t say anymore but I just can?t wait for you to see it Pash, then we can talk about it till our hearts content :D
    Do you know if you can play PAL videos on your VCR and TV?? :)

I hope Lex gets to make some nice little sarcastic quips!
    Ha, he?s full of them. But he saves the best till last, trust me [face_mischief]

Off-topic football talk:
    We were so unlucky against France, but the Swiss result was great. We play our final group game tonight against Croatia so fingers crossed :)
    Thanks for your support Pash, I?m sure a certain Mr.Beckham helps though [face_devil]

Spolier:
    Yep, Lois is Chloe?s cousin. She mentioned it during a phone conversation and you have to listen to what she says very carefully because it?s deeply ironic ;)
    I?m not sure what the age difference between Clark and Lois is, but I?m guessing it wont be that big but I?m not sure if we will ever get to see Lois in Smallville

I did some research on Supergirl yesterday, and I am quite confident she isn?t the Kryptonite girl. Again, I wont say too much but we do learn about her true identity but I shall wait untill you?ve seen it Pash
    :p ;)

Was Red the episode where he first gets the red Kryptonite ring? If I?m honest, I don?t actually know the episodes by name :eek:
    But yes, I felt sorry for Lana and unfortunately the confusion continues on :(
    In fact, that?s what sums up Smallville nicely, confusion. No one knows what they want, who they are or what to do for the best. Everyone?s young and learning and I think one of the reasons I like it so much is because I can really relate to it, and I?m sure you agree with that Pash.

Don?t worry Pash, the season one boxset is top of my DVD wish list now [face_dancing]
    I?ve found a good place to get them so I might do that very soon. In fact, the cover features that High School stunt and it was one of the first images I saw of Smallville and I really liked it (not for the bare chested Tom Welling I should stress :p but because it looked really dark and poetic ;) )

You're gonna kill me for this, Matt ...but I cannot imagine Natalie as Lois. Here comes the murderous look!

[face_laugh] Don?t worry, there is no muderous look on my face. I agree, I don?t think she is right for the part mainly because she?s waaaay too young. If she?s Lois then Tom should be Superman.
    Fiesty is the way to go, certainly! Nat is too nicey nice even when she?s angry, lol.
    I?m really not sure who I would want, I shall ponder.....

As for Clark/Superman, Nicolas Cage had actually done a costume test for it years ago (when it was called Superman Lives ) but I think that idea has been totally shelved now.
    **looks at Henry Cavill**
    He?s younger then me :eek:
    Hmmm, he does look good, but I think they need someone in their mid-thirties although I guess it depends on the script. But I see no point in doing a film based on a young Superman because Smallville does that perfectly so there is little need for it IMO.
    There was talk of Jude Law at one time, but I think that was for a Batman V Superman film.

Pash, did you ever see the TV series Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman with Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher?? :)
  4. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Books
    If you're going for books Matt, I'd recommend Alan Grant, coz he seems to get the characters to appear the way they do in the series. :cool:

Highlander novels...I actually have one that I have only read part way, can you believe it? [face_blush] It's called Salamander, I believe. I bought it ages ago and I have to get to it sometime. Perhaps when I'm done with the Smallville set. i.e. if I don't wind up buying all the other Smallville novels at my bookstore! ;)

Oh that Smallville Annual...is that a collection of stories? :)

Off-topic football ;)

No probs Matt, I've always supported England...and of course, *cough*Becksy*cough*! Heheh! [face_mischief] It was great to see new players like Rooney getting goals. Hmm, I'll have ask you the finer points of football over at your sporting thread, me thinks. :D

I know...today is a huge match. Give 'em a yell for me, will ya Matt? :) I'm rooting away for England! =D=

Do you know if you can play PAL videos on your VCR and TV??

Oh all the Asian video players play PAL. Actually we use the same stuff as UK...its the American NTSC that we have probs with. ;) But I think the new players are able to overcome it...PAL is the system we use in Sri Lanka. :cool:

Lois is mentioned in a phone conversation? :eek: Wowee...do we ever hear her voice? That will be downright spooky. Or even if Clark ever has to say her name...even crazier! :eek: :D

I don?t actually know the episodes by name
    No probs, I'm the scary bird who remembers some of them...prob coz the titles show up on the DVD and I read a few spoilers and transcripts. [face_devil]

Everyone?s young and learning and I think one of the reasons I like it so much is because I can really relate to it, and I?m sure you agree with that Pash.
    It is indeed an exciting time in life...I can remember those years...wow, I feel old! Hahaha! [face_laugh] But it's almost like reliving some things when you see their day-to-day teen struggles.

...features that High School stunt and it was one of the first images I saw of Smallville and I really liked it (not for the bare chested Tom Welling I should stress but because it looked really dark and poetic )

I thought the cover was arty too... :cool: Erm, all right, the foreground was pretty nice too. [face_mischief] Heh, I can just imagine why sales of Season 1 were mainly to females. ;)

Phew, you know what I mean about the Lois character...yep, fiesty. Gosh it's going to be interesting to see who they pick.

Hmm, think they'll do a 20-something Superman? :confused: I heard it could be Clark at 26 or somink.

Yep Henry must be pretty young...wait he's our age? :eek: Interesting. :D

Pash, did you ever see the TV series Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman with Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher??
    Yep, :D I used to catch it when I could. I liked Dean Cain he was funny and took away the super nerd image that Clark used to have from the movies. Ofcourse Tom Welling completely put the "Super" into the whole thing! [face_laugh]

If you mean Teri's Lois...she was good...very fiesty and well balanced. Hmm, it's gonna be a tough call picking the right girl. :confused:

As for Nicholas Cage...hm, no...I cannot see him as Superman. :confused: Something doesnt fit there. I duno, is it just me?

5. Lord-Tice Jedi Knight

star 5
    Books
    Alan Grant it is then Pash, but if all the books suddenly disappear from the shops, I?ll know they?ve all been shipped to Sri Lanka for emergency re-stock ;)

I?ve seen a few Highlander novels in the London Forbidden Planet store a few years ago, but I didn?t take a look at them. I?m hoping the new FP store has them still, especially considering the book section is huge now! :D

Oh that Smallville Annual...is that a collection of stories?
    I?m not sure Pash. I think it has character profiles and maybe some short stories, but I?m sure it contains things like crosswords, puzzles and things like that. I will take a better look when I see it next and report back :)

PAL is the system we use in Sri Lanka.

Great!! I can?t promise anything, but hopefully season three will be repeated over here very soon and I will endeavour to get them taped and sent to you ASAP. If you don?t mind that is??? (somehow, I think you wont ;) )

Spoiler
    I can?t quite remember who Chloe is talking to, but it?s not Lois so you don?t get to hear her :( I don?t think Clark even knows she exists yet but I think it would be really good if they do happen to bump into each other at somepoint during Smallville ........or maybe I?m too old fashioned :p

But it's almost like reliving some things when you see their day-to-day teen struggles.

I still have those troubles [face_laugh]
    Do you notice that usually the last scene is like a ?moral of the story? or Jerry Springer ?Final thoughts? type of thing?? Or is that just me?? :p
    Anyway, I really enjoy those moments which is very unlike me, lol. But the writing is strong and what they say makes perfect sense. Smallville is much more then an entertainment series, it?s a guide to life, hehe. Okay, silly mode off now 8-}

Hmm, think they'll do a 20-something Superman? I heard it could be Clark at 26 or somink.

I could see that working, but Warner Brothers will probably wait and see how well Batman Begins does before they commit to anything which might be the wise thing to do. And besides, they have Smallville doing the business, which will hopefully continue to get bigger and better.
    I think Henry is about 20, which isn?t old enough IMO. As for Nicholas Cage, I really wouldn?t want him doing it. He doesn?t look right at all for the part so I?m glad that particualr film didn?t get made :p

I was an avid watcher of the first season of The New Adventures of Superman. I loved it but lost interest after season two, lol. I think it started to get a bit silly towards the end but it certainly had its good moments. But I?m very grateful Smallville has been made because as you say Pash, it has put the ?Super? back in ?Superman? which was much needed after that show :D
    It?s done things which even I didn?t think was possible, and it?s pulled them off with tremendous success [face_dancing]
  6. Lord-Tice Jedi Knight

star 5
    **Lois Spolier update**

Looks like I wish a bit too pessimistic before, but I got this from a message board and it seems quite reliable:

'Casting Call Goes Out For Lois Lane
    A casting call has gone out to agents for the role of Lois Lane, a "recurring guest star for the first four episodes" of Season Four.
    The breakdown describes Lois as "caucasian, smart, beautiful, urban, headstrong, and no-nonsense." It says she was an Army kid who moved around every two years. She lost her mother at a young age and helped to raise her young sister, which made her mature beyond her years.
    Her father, Sam Lane, is a "high-ranking general" in the U.S. Army. Lois has no room for small talk or superstition, and she has a long history of defying her father and asserting her independence.
    The breakdown says that Sam always wanted a son rather than a daughter and thus raised Lois to be hard as nails, like a perfect soldier. Lois hides her vulnerability with sarcasm and wit... much like her cousin, Chloe.
    At this point in her life, Lois is in her early twenties and has no interest in journalism.'

WOW :D
    However, I have cut it short because the full report would reveal a huge spolier but there is a good reason why Lois turns up in Smallville ;)
  7. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Matt you're a sweetie, but don't worry about the vids...knowing Sri Lanka and its ability to get copies fast, I'm sure season 3 will arrive at Super speed. ;) Ignore the awful pun! [face_laugh]

Plus, videos tend to get all fungusfied in our tropical weather...hence why I have switched to DVD/VCD for most of my stuff. It's safer and lasts longer. :)

Stil, you're sweet to think of such a lovely idea. [:D] Thank you. :)

...Do you notice that usually the last scene is like a ?moral of the story?...

Yep, and usually there's a nice scene with Clark trying to figure out what went wrong. Or why something strange happened...again! ;) Lots of nice Clark/Lana moments happen in the last bits, no? :D
    Plus, whenever an episode ends I wait for the famous loft scene...coz they usually always end like that and I love the loft in the Kent barn.

Hmm, prob coz Clark is in the loft! [face_laugh] Heheh. :p

Okay, silly mode off now
    No probs...I have my Pascha moments so often...my friends find it fun. :D

Hmm, good point about WB waiting to see how the Batman Begins film goes. After all, trying to pull of a young Superman film when the Bat's film doesn't do well will be like having another bomb reading to go, isn't it? :( But I'm sure the Batman franchise isn't going to lose out with this one...

Christian Bale in the role seems too good. :cool:

New adventures of Superman
    Actually I didn't catch all of it either. :( Plus they didn't show all of it here...hmm, that's a nice pattern no? :p I uses to find it unusual that Lex Luther in Smalville was bald whereas Lex in the other TV show wasn't. [face_blush] Gee, guess it was a wig. [face_laugh]

New Lois spoiler update

:eek: :eek:Oh my goodness, this is too good to be true! They are going to have their work cut out for them, trying to find the right girl but i hope they find a real knock out with the personality to go. Coz this is really the ultimeate casting choice next to Clark...they cannot get it wrong. :eek:

*fingers crossed* [face_dancing]

Great spoiler Matt! :cool: [face_dancing]
  8. Lord-Tice Jedi Knight

star 5
    That?s Okay Pash, I did some research and I fear that season 3 wont be repeated for quite a while yet anyway :(
    But I am deperate for you to see it, which is a good indication of just how goooooood I think it is ;) :D

Plus, whenever an episode ends I wait for the famous loft scene...coz they usually always end like that and I love the loft in the Kent barn.

Always at sunset or at night too....how romantic ;)
    The good news is that there are plenty of those moments to come but the Clark/Lana ones get more and more frustrating...to the point where I?m nearly screaming at the TV: ?Kiss her you fool, kiss her? :p

Hmm, prob coz Clark is in the loft! Heheh.

haha, well it must be because Lana is in the loft for me [face_mischief]

I?m confident that Batman Begins will do the business and I think the long-term plan from WB is for several Batman films with Bale in the batsuit (and hopefully Chris Nolan at the helm). I?m also sure that they are already working on a new Superman film, in fact the Superman Lives one I mentioned was very close to starting up production, I have some artwork for it and it was looking rather nice I must say :cool:

New adventures of Superman
    I think in the later seasons, Lex Luthour was bald. I think the actor that played him probably didn?t want to shave his hair or something, lol. But as far as I know, he?s always been bald in the comics so it?s really good to see him bald in Smallville (is it me, or does that seem a strange thing to say 8-} )?
    But could you imgaine seeing Michael Rosenbaum with hair now???? I don?t think I could :p

Lois Spolier
    I have great faith in the casting team. They haven?t put a foot wrong yet and I?m sure there are plenty of candidates out there that can fit the bill of Lois nicely. This may just be a typical male PoV, but they need to find someone just as gorgeous as Lana, which might be very tricky ;) I can?t wait to see who they find, and it will be interesting to see how they write the stuff between Clark and Lois. I don?t think it should be a love at first sight type of thing, and for all we know they still might not actually meet but my anticipation levels for season 4 are sky high right now :D
  9. Lord-Tice Jedi Knight

star 5
    [face_dancing] :D [face_dancing] :D

I decided to treat myself so I bought the Season One DVD Boxset....and best of all it was half-price :eek:

I managed to watch the pilot episode yesterday and it was great!!!! :D
    The beginning was just like a film, and the way everything links together is just magic. I didn't realise Lex became bald due to the metorite shower. Brilliant!!

On a sadder note, Marlin Brando died yesterday :(
    A stunning actor who I always respected and admired......a sad lose but he has left us with some great pieces of work :)
  10. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Ahh, finally a chance to write a long Smallville Post. It's been ages...sorry Matt. :)

but the Clark/Lana ones get more and more frustrating...to the point where I?m nearly screaming at the TV: ?Kiss her you fool, kiss her?

[face_laugh] Yeah there were som many moments even in season 1 where I thought Clark would lean over and actually kiss Lana...then something always goes wrong at that perfect moment... *sigh* The magic of movies and TV! ;)

haha, well it must be because Lana is in the loft for me

Guess we both get a good deal then. :)

so it?s really good to see him bald in Smallville (is it me, or does that seem a strange thing to say )?

[face_laugh] Well I'm glad to see him with the bald look too...it suits Michael Rosenbaum very well..it just adds to his charm, I think. :cool:

Oh and I have seen him with hair...before and after. I saw him in Urban Legend and Sorority Girls before I saw Smallville (I watched the Urban Legend again recently and Michael is brilliant). =D=

Lois spoiler comment
    Hmm, can't say Matt coz I have to say the Lana Lang we see now is far prettier than Lois in the movies. I guess she will have to be a very attractive girl...ofcourse on a different sort of level...or atleast in a different way.
    I think it will be cool to be able to compare them but not think Lana is better...or else it could kill it for us when we see Clark eventually go for Lois. ;)

Well, they have a task on their hands...especially coz Kristen is such a gorgeous Lana Lang. :)

Oh got season 1? Fantastic...The Pilot is awesome isn't it?I love it! [face_love]

I didn't realise Lex became bald due to the metorite shower. Brilliant!!

Yep, that's awesome stuff and I love the way Clark and Lex's friendship starts off...true it's not the regular "Getting-to-know-you" but it's cool nevertheless. :D

Marlon Brando...

He lived quite a life didn't he? My dad was saying that despite his wild living, he did live to be 80...not bad. :)

Yes, the original Jor-El...and you're right he was a decent guy in the movies...not in the series though, by the looks of it. :eek:

/>
  11. AmberStarbright Jedi Knight

star 7
    hey Smallville starts here tomorrow, not sure what series it is but I'll watch it no matter :p

I'm still debating on buying the first series $60 CAN which is about $43 US boy that was confusing I had to change to UK money first :p
  12. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Oh its definitely worth the watch, Jean! I'd say watch it anyway...you can bug me all you want about previous series details...I know upto the end of season 2. :)

Oh money conversions drive me bonkers too... *sigh* especially when the Sri Lankan Rupee takes a nosedive...that's a common occurence too! :p

BTW, babe...lovely icon choice. Very pretty. [face_batting]
  13. AmberStarbright Jedi Knight

star 7
    lol well I can say what's in the advert to guess....I could always try and find the tv channel but I have like 200 channels so can never remember their names :p

I hate converting, I can never remember like Canadian to US, I have to convert to Pounds first. I guess I could always use Yahoo ;)

Why thank you :D
    It is pretty and not many people using it [face_love]
  14. Lord-Tice Jedi Knight

star 5
    I saw bits of Urban Legened a while ago and I thought I recongised him init, but it was hard to tell because of the hair ;)
    I think he?s a really good actor and I was checking out his imdb profile and he?s done voice work for various comic-book cartoons including The Falsh and some Batman villains, which I thought was quite a nice connection :cool:
    I?m sure he?ll have a good carreer post Smallville, although I don?t really want to think about Smallville ending because to me it feels like it?s just started :D
    I can?t believe it?s been three years already :eek:

Lois talk
    I think you?re right Pash, there are plenty of reasons why Clark eventually falls for Lois and they are not just for her looks, so having someone just as pretty as lana might not be entirly neccessary. Either way, they have their work cut out for them but I?m very confident they will get the right actress. I hinted at it before, but for some reason I quite like the idea of them not seeing eye-to-eye initally (kind of the opposite to Lana in that Clark always had a thing for her ;) ), but maybe that?s too obvious? I?m sure they will get to meet though, and that moment has the potential to be golden! [face_dancing]

Yep, I?m the proud owner of Season one :D :D
    So far I?ve only been able to watch the pilot episode :_|
    I was going to try and watch one-a-day but I?ve just been too busy but I?ll try again after the deadlines are gone ;)
    But yes, the pilot was amazing!! I loved it.
    The first two episodes also have directors commentry, and I?ve listened to about half of the pilot episode?s one and that was also really good. It?s funny you mention Clark?s and Lex?s first meet Pash, because they said on the commentary that when they showed Clark and lex by the river side after their little accident, they made Clark?s red blanket look like Superman?s red cape.........I just love things like that =D=

Marlin Brando.....
    He did have a wild life and I was surprised he was actually 80 years old. A good innings as they say, hey pash :)

Yes, the original Jor-El...and you're right he was a decent guy in the movies...not in the series though, by the looks of it.

I still feel there is much more then meets the eye for Smallville?s Jor-El. All will be explained soon............I hope ;)
  15. Lord-Tice Jedi Knight

star 5
    I?ve finally managed to see all of season One now, and the only problem is that I really want to get season Two on DVD but I?m going to wait for the price to fall ;)

One of my favourite episodes would have to be Zero....it?s the one described as:
    A nemesis presumed to be dead for three years resurfaces in Smallville and stalks Lex. Chloe uncovers intriguing information about Clark?s adoption.

The thing that strikes me about this episode is that it concentrates mainly on Lex, which I think is very interesting because I think it pathed the way for the overall direction of Smallville. To me, Smallville is just as much about Lex as it is about Clark/Superman, and it makes a great change to see things from a future villains perspective.
    There are bigger clues and indications to come in the later season (especially three), but seeing into Lex?s past for the first time was great and the overall style of the episode was fantastic!!

All-in-all I thought Season One was great and I hope to collect them all eventually :D
    Which reminds me, Season Four premiered yesterday in North America, so no spoilers please ;)

There has been a bit of news on the future film front. They now have a director, which is Bryan Singer ( X-Men ). The one down side to this is that 20th Century Fox have said he?s not welcome to work for them anymore, so X-Men 3 will be under new direction.
    Meanwhile, I?ve heared that they have advertised a totally open casting call for Superman/Clark Kent, so basically anyone could end up playing the role :eek: ..........Tempting, I must say ;) :p
    It will also be filmed in Australia.
  16. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Michael Rosenbaum's work in the cartoons

Yes it's a nice little coincidence. Hmm, villain in Smallville and hero elsewhere. ;)
    And goodness, Smallville's story has just begun, so I hope we will see it for many years to come. Plus it has all the makings of a long running succesful TV show. :D

Spoliers
    Lois talk

Funny thing is that they seem well matched. The pics I saw of the new Lois Lane show her to be much bigger than Lana and in many ways a real physical match for the man of steel! ;) He's so tall that it makes sense for her to be built bigger too.:D

Nice going on getting season 1, Matt. :D Told ya the pilot epsiode was terrific! [face_dancing] I dunno if our season 1 DVDs will have the commentary but I can hope. :)

...they made Clark?s red blanket look like Superman?s red cape.........I just love things like that

Wow! :eek: That's brilliant...I actually sat down and tried to remember that bit after reading what you wrote. I love stuff like that...it's like the foreshadowing in SW prequels! :cool:

And as for Jor-El in Smallville...yep, I'm in for a treat when I get season 3, that's for sure! :cool:

Your second post (forgive the backlog Matt, I never got around to posting my thoughts earlier. [face_blush] )

Zero was great...even when I saw it the first time on TV. It was interesting to see what Lex's life had been like before Smallville...plus there was all that flashback stuff. :D

clues to season 3 ? Very cool...season 3 has loads od goodies, I see. [face_dancing]

To me, Smallville is just as much about Lex as it is about Clark/Superman,

Yep, nicely said. :D And since it's called Smallville and not "Superman" or "Clark" it gives them that freedom to explore all the characters in the show. Of course it also helps us to figure out whether certain characters will be hanging around come season 4 or 5... ;)

Wow and X-men touch to the new Superman film...interesting.

Aha [face_mischief] Matt, what are you waiting for...time to don that red cape and go flying off tall buildings...or atleast make it to the audition. Aww, you know i'm kidding about the building part. :D [:D]

But getting a part would be cool, woudn't it? :cool:

17. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Most of this thread is going wayy over my head ... :p

Anyway, I caught a few episodes of Smallville recently (it's showing right before Buffy here now). Since I'm not really following the story at all, I can't comment on that, but so far it seems quite interesting.

And Clark Kent is cute. =P~

//end fangirl moment :p
  18. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Hey Xany. :D

It's a great show and it's actually Superman-the early years. ;)
    If you have questions you can ask us here...I'm sure Matt will agree that talking Smallville is something we like doing. :D

As for the fan girl moment...gosh, you're not the only one! [face_blush]

I'm usually like, "aww he's wearing that superman blue shirt with the red jacket...again. *sigh*" [face_laugh]

And loads more! [face_love]

19. Lord-Tice Jedi Knight

star 5
    Spoilers

Yes it's a nice little coincidence. Hmm, villain in Smallville and hero elsewhere.

You?ve opened a can of worms there Pash because Season Three deals with heroes and villains and, according to Lex, it comes down to personal opinion. It?s very interesting but I can?t say too much ;)
    It will certainly make you think though.

Lois Lane:
    Yes, she does seem quite tall (which will be nice for Tom because he wont have to keep looking down) and I think she will be a real handful for Clark. I?ve said it before, but I kinda like the idea of them not getting on at first. I can see it now.......:
    Clark: Hi, I?m Clark.
    Lois: Oh yes, I know all about you Mr.Kent. Chole mentioned that you once dated and broke her heart. Well mister broad shoulders, that charming smile ain?t going to work on me so you?re going to have to try much harder to get on my good side farmboy.

Hmmm, do you think I?ve missed my calling as a screenwriter??? Me neither :p

Only the first two episodes have Commentery tracks, and I?ve only listened to the pilot episode but they are very insightful. You can learn so much from them, it?s great :D

And since it's called Smallville and not "Superman" or "Clark" it gives them that freedom to explore all the characters in the show

Absolutely. Season 2 and 3 really begin to flesh out Lionel Luthor and he becomes one of the main characters. He is also an invention of Smallville and was such a great idea. I think they were in two minds about his inclusion, which is understandable, but I think it?s really paid off.

HI Xan :)
    Smallville is quite addicitve, so watch out ;) It is one of those shows that is very easy to get into. I didn?t start watching it until 1/3 into Season One, and because we all know the rough details about Superman, it isn?t too much of a brain strain to know what?s going on 8-}

And I agree, Tom Welling is good looking, too good looking perhaps :p ;)
    I also think he?s the perfect Clark and I just can?t imagine anyone else doing it.
    Of cause there?s still plenty for the boys though, have I mentioned I quite like Lana lane, hehe :D
  20. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Hmm, time to break my silence?silences with me don?t happen so often, Matt. I need to get my head checked! ;) [face_laugh]

In response to your previous post Matt? :)

Heroes and villains is a nice theme all right, especially with the bulid up in season 2 where we fin Lex closing in on Clark's secret. :cool: It's always a hit and miss situation with those two, isn't it? Lex get sooooo close and then "boom" something knocks off track. Good for Clark though. ;) Lots of lucky saves! *phew* :)

The Clark and Lois dialogue...

Hmmm, do you think I?ve missed my calling as a screenwriter???
    [face_laugh] You have so much potential! :D That was cute! [face_mischief] It would make an interesting screen moment! ;) It's exactly the kind of way I love to write...just like it happens and not all flowery.

Oh I wish I had commentary tracks for the season 2 stuff. But I will try and get season 1 with commentary tracks. And there's a chance I might get season 3 soon too. Jean mentioned that it will be realeased some time in the USA so we shuld get it before if the UK gets it before! [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

Tom Welling is good looking, too good looking perhaps

[face_love] *sigh* I'm not complaining! [face_love] [face_laugh] Ah, I know you'll forgive my *Welling moments* after all, there's lovely Lana for you! :D [:D]

Season 4 stuff

I have been checking out the trailers and reviews of season 4?s episodes. Can you believe it? I haven?t seen season 3 yet and I?m already dying to see season 4! :p The promo pictures are amazing?I?m biased I know?but Tom Welling looks? *sigh* even more fantasmagoriously gorgeous than he did in seasons 1 and 2. Wow is that possible? :p

I saw the promo shot Clark in flight and that was SUPER! Heheh, excuse the pun. I also saw 2 trailers. (For episode 1 and 2 of season 4)

The one where Clark appears before Lois out of the blue and the that really funny clip where she walks in on him at his apartment-is that his place?-and then Martha Kent knocks on the door. Hahahaha. The look on Martha?s face when Lois appears behind Clark. [face_laugh] At least I think that was Lois. :p

As for our favourite villain according to the ever cool Rosenbaum his character is getting darker and the fans are accepting it. I can totally understand what he means by that. :cool:

~*~*~

On a very sad note, there was the death of the original Superman and that truly was sad news. :( I heard about it that evening when I switched on my PC and opened up Internet Explorer. I was so surprised and saddened. It was like the death of Superman, a lovely hero who had captured the hearts of so many people. :(
    I think his real life efforts and determination to life his life even with disabiltly were what ultimately made him such a hero.
    Michael Rosenbaul released a press statement that was really touching. I can try and link to that if you like Matt. :)

~*~*~

In the meantime, Jean I can see you are really enjoying Smallville! :D [:D]

21. Lord-Tice Jedi Knight

star 5
    It's always a hit and miss situation with those two, isn't it? Lex get sooooo close and then "boom" something knocks off track

And things get even closer ;) I really like they way they have played on this aspect though; the way that it?s basically bcame an obsession of Lex?s to find out what the heck is going on, knowing that there is something mighty strange about Clark. It?s a great way to do it.
    I was always surprised by the Lex/Clark friendship initally, but on the other hand I?ve always felt the friendship to be an uncomfortable one, despite the great efforts of both Clarke and Lex. You really want to trust Lex, but he keeps on letting us down :p

I can?t wait for you to get Season 3 Pash....the Season 2 DVD only recently came out here in the UK and no date has yet been set for Season 3. I do find it odd though that the UK get the DVD?s before the US, maybe it has something to do with TV rights but I ain?t complaining :p
    When the date for S3 has been confirmed, I?ll let you know :D

Ah, I know you'll forgive my *Welling moments*

Certainly, it wouldn?t be the same without them [face_laugh]

Season 4
    I haven?t actually read anything about Season 4, other then your last post Pash ;)
    But it is sounding very good. I guessed that Clark would be able to fly (finally!!). I?m not sure though if he?s moved out of the farm, but my guess is that he has :( I?m ganna miss that place, lol.
    And I can well imagine the look on Martha?s face ;) Sounds like a classic moment. We wont get Season 4 untul January, but I?m counting down the days!!

And that sounds great about Lex getting darker. It was heading that way and I think it?s the only cause of action really. The key will be his relationship with his father and his desire for total independance. Again, I can?t wait for this to progress especially knowing how good Michael is :D

~*~*~

I?d also like to pass on my great sadness of the death of Christopher Reeve. I was really shocked when I heared it whiles driving home on the Monday because it seemed so out-of-the-blue. He was absolutely brilliant as an actor, man and of cause Superman.
    The Michael Rosenbaul link would be great Pash, many thanks :)

~*~*~

There has been a bit of recent film news too. Apparantly Superman has been cast!! Unknown actor Brandon James Routh has been given the role. I have no idea what he looks like because I can?t find any pictures of him, but he?s been in the pipeline for a while. Also, the film will take on-board Superman I & II in terms of story, so in some ways it?s a sequel rather then a whole new start. I don?t know how true this is, but is sounds quite interesting, especially as General Zod will return :cool:
  22. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I was always surprised by the Lex/Clark friendship initally

Wow, that was a real shock to me too. I always imagined Lex Luthor to be this canniving villain-as portrayed in the Lois and Clark TV show. So, seeing Lex and Clark at buddy level was an eye-opener. :eek:
    But then I got so used to it and always looked forward to the Clark/Lex dialogue. :D

I?ve always felt the friendship to be an uncomfortable one

Here's a real hum dinger...I feel I've got comfortable with the uncomfortable nature of their friendship... LOL! [face_laugh] I think you might understand what I mean. We know where it's headed, but I really love the way they get on...even if it's a bit wierd for people who know they will become enemies. ;)

When the date for S3 has been confirmed, I?ll let you know

Goody. :D We should get it around the same time, so I can get cracking on season 3. If it arrives around Christmas time, the timing will be perfect! [face_love]

As for the spolier bit...my sympathies to poor Martha Kent. ;)
    Hmm, I wonder what the explanation would have been? If we kinda spoof it, that is. [face_mischief]

Clark:- Mom?!? (looking very surprised)

Martha:- (mouth open, clearly surprised to see Lois smile from behind him)

Lois:- (cooly and with a big grin) Hello Mrs Kent.

Clark:- Mom, it's not how it looks...

Martha:- I'm all ears.

Lois:- Actually Clark's clothing caught fire and I had to grab a bucket and soak him.

Clark:- Erm, yeah mom..what she said.

Martha:-That will of course explain why you're standing here in a towel, dripping wet and smell of soap rather than smoke.

Sorry, I had a moment of inspiration that I needed to share. *braces herself for the rotten tomatoes* :p

As for the links, Matt...I'll try and post em ASAP. :)
    Oh and regarding the movie, I heard the Angel star Charisma Carpenter was also a nominee for Lois Lane. Of course over at the JC Amphitheatre they are talking about some other girl as well...I'll check that out. :)

Edit:- Links :)

Here's the [link=http://latinoreview.com/scoops/brandon-superman.html]link to the Brandon Routh picture.[/link]
    He really does look spookily like Christopher Reeve. I wonder if that's what tipped the scales. :cool: Also,I heard all sorts of names discussed as potentials...one was Ashton Kutcher and I was thinking:-

[kelso voice]No way, man![/kelso voice] [face_laugh]

23. AmberStarbright Jedi Knight

star 7
    Season 4 is the one that's in the US now right? the episode I saw it technically wasn't Clarke flying ;)
  24. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Season 4 is running in the USA, yep. :) Oh his flying bit was for a few seconds I think..in the first episode titled Crusade and that itself caused such a huge stir.

I have seen just the trailer of that episode and when he crouches down and then leaps straight into the air...it's so goosepimple-raisingly fantastic! :cool: :eek: In fact, I think I may have just invented a term there. :p

BTW, Jean...that iconis lovely. [face_love] I am happy with this one, but I wish we had more Kiera ones. :( Hmm....there's an idea. [face_mischief]

Edit:-My original invented word was absolutely silly! [face_laugh] A typo..but silly nevertheless! [face_laugh]
  25. AmberStarbright Jedi Knight

star 7
    When you watch the episodes you'll understand me better, it's not Clarke that can fly it's Kal-El that can fly. As that is what Clarke says in the episode ;)
    Not sure about later in the series but that clip is Kal-El not Clarke ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.