main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

General ~*~*The Smallville Discussion thread*~*~(may contain season 4 spoilers-blacked out)

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by Jedi_Humaira_Blaine, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    Black posties look so hi-tech. :p

Ah, I get it. :D I think this is the part where he's had a crazy trip at the end of season 3 and winds up crashing into the earth in episode 1 of season 4...somink like that, no Jean? :)

Hmm, yeah...Kal-El can probably fly but the lovely farm boy hasn't cottoned on to it, I guess. Wierd though....perhaps it's just that Clark never thought about the flying possiblitly? ;)

Although there wasa joke about it in season 2's episode Rush where Chloe asked him if he could fly. [face_mischief] Heheh, I love those hints. :D

2. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    The Clark/Lex conversations are Golden, especially when Lex tries to help Clark's love life with Lana ;)
    One of my favourite lines from S1 being:
    'Well, it's not asif she's married.'
    ....Which I think Clark later tried on his parents who gave a disapproving look....Lex is such a bad influence on that boy :p
    And I know what you mean by being comfortable with the uncomfortable nature, I think it's also because we are always anticipating their friendship to change at any given moment.

Another thing I love about Lex (or indeed the Luthor's) is that they always look back on very historic characters for inspiration. I love the St.George stories Lex's gives about this and that, and the Alexander the Great connections....I think that's clever writing and I find those little bits of information really good and inspirational. I should complie a list perhaps :-B

There will be no rooten tomatoes for you Pash, that bit of scripting was great....I should really see this clip because I think it's even better then I original thought, as in even funnier :p

Season Three
    In episode 2 of season one, Clark dreamt that he was flying and then when he awoke he was actually floating, so I think he's always suspected he might be able to fly.
    But as for it being Kal-El rather then Clark, well to me they are the same person. Kal-El is his Kryptonite name, while Clark is his Earth name. Of cause I think it's one of those 'from a certain point of view' moments, and it all depends on what happens to Clark after Season 3, so I will wait until then before I make up my mind ;)

New Superman Film
    Thanks for the Routh picture link Pash, and he really does look like Chris Reeve. I was half expecting a really well built-up looking guy, but he certainly has the timide 'Clark Kent' look which is great to see because that's what made Reeve so special IMO.

I haven't heard the Charisma Carpenter rumours, but then again I haven't done much reading on this. I know Natalie Portman was in the running, but that was when McG was going to direct but that's no longer the case.

Ashton Kutcher :eek: No one would have taken him seriosly :p I'm glad that idea didn't go any further, lol.

3. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    I only went with what Clarke actually said in the episode ;)

4. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Just a quick upate from me:

I managed to get Season Two for less then half-price :D :D
    Yep, I'm very happy and I hadn't seen the Season Two opener before :eek: .....But I have now!! ;)

Also, the Season Three DVD set is released on Tuesday the 16th of November in the US. Hopefully it wont be too long before the Region 2 version is released, and the packaging looks great.

5. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    A quick reply from me too. ;) I will post a longer one if I can this week. I won't be around too much due to studies and stuff.

Matt, that's brilliant news. I am so glad you got season 2. Love the opener? :D It's fabulous isn't it? :cool:

Season 3 within days...wow! I cannot wait for my exam to be over. :D I am going on one serious DVD hunting spree.

Watch out, Sri Lanka! :p
    Pash is one dertermined lady!

6. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    'Well, it's not as if she's married.'

Yes, that was priceless [face_mischief]...especially when Martha and Jonathan Kent looked a little surprised. I think they were perhaps a little amused too. ;)

Heheh, in that episode I think Whitney was being a bit of a jerk and I actually thought "whoo" when Clark made that comment later on to his parents. ;) I'm so biased, it's sad. [face_laugh]

Lex is a like a walking library and that is one of the most attractive qualitites about him. I have to hand it to the producers and script writers for fleshing his character out.
    An intelligent, goodlooking guy who actually reads a lot and is as good at business as he is with plain old history. It makes him so well rounded and also such a fascinating guy. Seriously if he wasn't the villain, I'd think he was the best thing since sliced bread. ;) And add the fancy suits and you've got the perfect man. :cool: Phew. [face_mischief]

should complie a list perhaps

Aww, love that nerd face! :D [:D]

Thanks Matt...must spoof more...I love doing that kinda stuff. :p

Season 3 and spoilers
    Jean, you got it right about the Kal-El Vs Clark bit. It's like a split personality thingy to me...but actually his Krypton personality takes over is it? :) I guess when I see it it will make more sense. :cool:
    If they hint at it again in Season 3, I'm all ears. :D As for flying yes...that season 1 episode was lovely. Especially when he crashed back onto his bed.
    Oh and then there was the episode where he flew several miles away from home and wound up on the highway. Lex found him...that was fantastic stuff. :D I love how they keep surprising us like that.

Superman film

No probs about the link Matt. I had some other links that I had promised you...let me find those. ;) Routh certainly has the Chris Reeve look so hopefully this movie will do its bit to make the Superman story live on. :cool:

The thought of Ashtom Kutcher is:-

[Kelso]Like totally WRONG, man. Like totally...ya know?[/Kelso] :p

I would have been stunned into silence...and believe me, that almost never happens. [face_laugh]

7. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Matt, you wanna get the ball rolling? :) I can if you want but right now there's a tonne I would ask so it'll be confusing. [face_laugh]

We can go with whatever you've been waiting to ask since season 3 ended. I'm up for it. :D Plus we could have discussions on characters, forshadowing and hints as well as episode breakdowns etc...would be cool. :)

Upping...and it's away! ;)

8. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Sorry for the delay Pash, things have been more hectic then I thought ;)

I?m not sure if I should black this out, so I will to be on the safe side but feel free to reply in none blacked out text:

The main thing I want to discuss about season three is just how evil Lionel is [face_devil]
    We find out that 1) he killed his own parents for financial gain, 2) he?s prepared to do anything to his son to protect himself and 3) even behind bars he has the influence to kill/attempt to kill Chloe and her father.
    As mentioned before, Lionel is a pure creation of the show and personally I think his inclusion was a stroke of genius, especially after Season three. There was a ?behind the scenes? programme on Monday this week and it had interviews with the main actors, and Michael (lex) said that he and Clark are very simular because they are each fighting their own destinies. Jar-El wants Clark to rule planet Earth while Lex knows he has too much of his father in him and knowing what Lionel is like, he doesn?t want to become that same man. Without the inclusion of Lionel this just wouldn?t have been possible and for that you have to give the writers a huge amount of credit for =D=

The next thing to discuss is the huge fall out between Clark and Lex ;)
    Well, about time I say :p In some ways you feel a bit sorry for Lex because at heart he is always trying to do the right thing. In the end he is only curious, but too curious perhaps. I can?t see his friendship with Clark getting fixed once again. I think the tides have now turned ;)
    I love the shot when Clark walks out of the court after saying his bit to Lex, mainly because he is still wearing his normal cloths while everyone else is wearing suits so he really satnds out, lol.

Now, the other thing I wanted to discuss was linked to the destiny part again. I can?t remember the name of the episode, but it?s when Lex and Clark find out that there is a prophecy that states that the chosen one (Clark/Superman) will have a great enemy. Now we all know this enemy will be Lex, but what I really liked is that Lex has a completely different perspective on this. For him, he sees the Chosen one to be a huge threat to mankind because of his powers, so for Lex he thinks the enemy that stands up to the chosen one is in fact the real hero in the end. And in some ways, he actually makes sense. After all, we all know what happens to Clark when a bit of red kryptonite comes his way ;)
    Which reminds me, in the comicbook world Superman gave a bit of green kryptonite to Batman just incase something bad happens to Superman, i.e he becomes evil. Batman is the only one Superman would trust to actually use the kryptonite against him, but in some ways this is also related to how Lex sees things because despite Superman?s best interests in saving the world, you just never know what might happen.

Phew, there?s still a fair amount to discuss, but I will give you a chance to reply now Pash ;)

Ohhh, and season four starts on Monday for me, so expect a post about that soon after. Clark in black looks really good I must say, lol.

9. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Wowee zowee, look at all that black highlighter! :D No probs, Matt I can reply in non-black...oh and I can also take the black highlight off the season 3 stuff, if you'd like me too. :) Gotta love that edit button. ;)

And forgive my delay too, Matt. :( My week has been mad, mad, mad and I'm just relaxing as much as I can this weekend. :D

~*~*~

The Lionel character
    Lionel is one of the "created characters" isn't he? :) But its great when they can add someone who fits in so beautifully with the Superman Universe. Add to that he actually makes the show story move on...what with his ability to tick off Lex so much. We can see where Lex comes from.

Lex
    The thing that is so great is that with the Lionel/Lex relationship I see something that I have always thought happened in real life but was not addressed enough in movies.
    i.e. the son trying hard to be a better man but winding up (thanks to a heap of unavoidable circumstances) becoming just like his father and in fact worse. :(

In some ways Lex is like Anakin Skywalker on his way to becoming Darth Vader. We know he's gonna get there but the journey is really a good watch.

behind the scenes
    I love those programmes...must have been great stuff. Michael is always a great person to listen to-he's really so crazt in real life, I'm amazed at how he plays the serious Lex Luthor. :cool:

Lionel and Morgan Edge
    That was a great little bit there wasn't it? Plus Lex now suspecting that his father killed his own parents...it's really chilling. :eek:

Lionel's say in Chloe's death
    That last bit...I was waiting to see that and i didn't expect the huge explosion. Plus when they actually show us a lot of events with soft music in the background it's even more chilling. :cool:

Clark Lex fallout

I have to say, we all wait for things to get nasty between them, don't we? ;) It's inevitable I know but every time there's some minor fight it's a real foreshadowing. :cool: I will have to watch the last episode Covenent again to catch that bit where Clark tells him off. ;)

Matt, if you meant he episode in Season 3 that talks about Naman (Superman-like character that the Kwatchi believe in) then you must mean Talisman. Namans' greatest enemy will be Sageet.

Nice isn't it how Lex formed his own theory? ;) And he decided to explore the option that everyone else ignored. It's a great way to look at it, but it gave me chills when he told Clark:-

"Have you ever thought that the real hero of the story...is Sageet?"

I was thinking...uh huh, yeah honey...yo'd want to think that. :p

Superman, Batman and the red kryptonite

Hey that was a lovely bit of info there Matt. :cool: Superman trusting Batman to do the needful in case he went bad. :) I guess all superheros need a back up and inthis case Batman is human unlike Kal El who's an alien...

~*~*~

Matt, I can change the thread title to "may include season 4 spoilers" that way we are free to talk season 3.

Season 4 spoilers, oh yes please! :D I'd love that...and yep, black highlight those and I'll reply in highlights as well. :)

Clark in black
    *sigh* He's such a hunkamuffin... *drifts into Clark Land* :p [face_laugh]

10. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I have loads to talk about Pash but I have an urgent deadline so it will be a few days before I can get everything off my chest. But I will say I'm really excited :D ;)

11. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Not to worry, Matt. :) Take the time you need and get that RL stuff sorted. Believe me, I know the feeling. [:D]

I have been buried in paperwork all week and today was nuts. :eek:

Excited is good. ;) I'm sure we can talk up a storm when you get back. :D

12. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Relax away Pash, I envy you ;)

And by all means take the black away from my previous post, thanks!

????????
    Season Four!!!!

I think I will start with discussing the season four opener because I just can?t wait :p
    When I first watched it I was left a little disappointed I must admit, but I decided to watch it again the next day and my disappointment was soon vanquished (my Mum and Dad were asking too many questions when it was first on ;) ). Now, I can safely say that I really enjoyed this season openner!! :D
    Spoilers stuff
    The end of season 3 raised many questions. What happened to Clark? What happened to Lex? What happened to Chloe? What?s going to happen to Lana, Johnathan kent.......urgh, too many questions :p
    But does the first episode help in any way to answer these questions??? NO, in fact it simply raises even more questions :eek:

I wont say too much Pash (unless you want me to) but the main thing I will say is that I?m not sure we should jump to too many conclusions regarding Lionel Luthor ;)
    I can?t help but think there is an even greater evil at work here, but who that is can only be speculation.

I was also hoping that Clark?s rebirth into Kal-El would reward us with more clues about Jor-El and his ?plans?, but if anything it just made things even more confussing and complicated....but it does mean we have still only touched the surface, which means there is still plenty more to come in the future. Oh, and Kal-El flying was really well done. I really hope Bryan Singer takes note for his feature film.

We were also introduced to Black Kryptonite. And it was presented to us by Dr. Swan?s assistant, who is played by Margot Kidder, a.k.a the original Lois Lane :D
    She has a great line where she said that her and Dr.Swan were once an item, but that was in another time ;)

I will end by saying that I think Erica Durance did a great job as Lois Lane. She has really taken note from Margot Kidder because it?s very simular to how she played Lois in the first two films. And she?s not too bad on the eyes either, but Lana Lang?s titile is still safe [face_love]

Gosh, that?s a lot of information in there and there?s still more that I could say. Season 4 has great potential I feel and I can?t wait to get stuck into it.

????????
    Superman and the Batman

There is a stunning book called Mythology, and it showcases the work by artist Alex Ross who?s done a huge amount of Superman and Batman work. He is brilliant and at the end of the book, there is a short comic-strip which features Batman having to use the Kryptonite on Superman. It truely is stunning and I?ll see if I can e-mail you some of it Pash. Once Batman manages to stop Superman, he says to himself:
    ?I often wonder, Clark: Do you know what you are?
    You are the original myth. The one we?ll always believe.
    What would we ever do without you??

I really like that and in many ways it kinda sums Smallville up nicely.

????????
    In some ways Lex is like Anakin Skywalker on his way to becoming Darth Vader. We know he's gonna get there but the journey is really a good watch.

That?s very true, and we could say the same for George Lucas ;) His father wanted him to take over his business, but Geroge had no interest in becoming a businessmen so pursued film-making in an act of defiance. But several years later, he is now an incredibly successful businessmen, lol. I guess we can?t always escape our destiny.

Michael was great in the Behind the Scenes show. He is a really funny guy but it was a bit odd because his hair was slightly longer ;)

That last bit...I was waiting to see that and i didn't expect the huge explosion. Plus when they actually show us a lot of events with soft music in the background it's even more chilling.

That last bit was some of the best TV I have ever seen. It was so symbolic as it showed Lionel shaving his head, inter-cut with everything else. Great, great stuff!!

????????

Final thing: Yes Pas

13. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Upping to prevent locking... :)

Especially as I cannot unlock when I step down as manager. :p

Matt I'll get back to this discussion when I sort out some MS stuff and some RL stuff. I should post a reply soon. I have been away from my beloved Smallville thread for far too long! :(

14. Quruli

Quruli Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    I've only seen the 1st season ;_;

After that, they stopped showing it on t.v. but I'll definetly get the dvd's ;D

15. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Hi there Quruli, nice to see you here. :D Same thing happened here. [face_laugh]

I dunno why the station here in Sri Lanka didn't realise what hit they were showing....silly fellows. :p

I also got the show on DVD. :)

Oh and if you like to chat about season 1...you're more than welcome to. Our discussion can go all over the place and that's fine with me... :D

Probabaly coz that's how I talk ;) all over the place. No wonder I keep going:- Er where was I again?" :p

16. Quruli

Quruli Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    hehe, thanks so much for the warm welcome humaira_blaine <3

i hope to contribute more to this forum in the future (probably during the summer when i have tons and tons of time to send some posted love!)

which part of sri lanka are you from?
    i'm from pakistan ;) i'm practicing my singhalese =D

17. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I'm soooo sorry for not posting in here lately. I've been here, there and everywhere ;)
    But finally I have made the time to pop in!

Firstly, hello to Quruli :)
    Buying the Smallville DVDs would be a great investment IMO ;)
    Really glad you like the show too.

Okay, season Four finished last month here in the UK, and here's my briefish verdict, with no spoliers!!.

Not as strong as the previous seasons, but still really good and well worth watching.
    It keeps you guessing, and even second guessing all the time, and by the end of it alot of skeletons come out of the closet, so to speak ;)

The ending is also brilliant (as always) and it just looks and feels so good. And as always, more questions are asked rather then being answered :p

If you want to ask any questions, feel free to ask them with highlights ;)

I heared a while ago that the writers only want to do five seasons, so maybe the next will be the last??
    I'm in two minds as to whether this is good or not. On one front, I think keeping it limited to five means that the writers can have a definite ending. I also think a lot of TV serials get weaker and weaker the longer they go, and keeping it to five will keep it strong forever.

On the negaitive side, I'll really miss the show if it finishes next year. It really is the best programme at the moment and the only show I can not miss!!

So I guess we will have to wait and see. Of cause next year will also see the return of Supes to the big screen, which may also make the writers decide one way or the other.

18. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    My apologies Quirali for being so quiet...argh. I was gone for a while because of a crazy work schedule. :(

Practicing Singhalese? Cool...yo might actually be bette than me coz my Sinhalese is pretty attrocious, heheh. ;) I can get by though. :)

Matt, hey! [:D] I have been so quiet in this thread...so now its time to reply. ;) Lets see if I can answer everything.

Season 5-the last?

Yes I heard about this but I am hoping its a rumour? Please say it is? The WB network in the USA has the habit of zapping shows by season 5-see what happened to Angel? Ofcourse if rating are slipping then I guess they have all the reason to do so.
    But I cannot imagine Smallville's ratings going down like that. The show is the hottest thing on the network and Tom is one of the most talked about guys at the moment, what with The Fog having hit cinemas.

I really want this show to go on. It would be great if we could see Clark through his college years, no Matt? Hmm, that would probably mean atleast 3 more season. I wonder if the show producers have that much planned.

Spoiler alert
    But with Lex apparently going bad this season I guess it gives them good reason to wrap up for a neat ending. But I will probably cry enough to put this torrential rain in Sri Lanka to shame. :( :_|

Imagine the withdrawel symptoms....gosh I want them to hint at something between Lois and Clark. Hmm, care to spill any spoilers Matt? ;)

Oh and I'm all for discussing season 4 now Matt. I got the DVDs-I might not have alot of extras though coz my DVDs are from the USA direct. I got some deleted scenes features and a commentary or 2 I think.

Oh and Lois is definitely my fave female on the show. I think she's too much like me. Gosh, me and my smart mouth. :p
    Ofcouse I wouldn't give Clark that much grief, hehe [face_devil]. He's too cute for words. [face_love]

19. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Season 5 has just started here in the UK :D :D

Watched the first two episodes and it's great to have Smallville back. And so far it's been just as explosive as always. Some really, really nice references to the first and second films too, and with the new Superman Returns film out this summer, I think it will link in nicely, even though of cause they are two different things.

Some spoilers, if I may :p
    So far, I think the Lois and Clark relationship is far, far away....mainly because Clark is with someone else at the moment. I wont say who but it may be pretty obvious ;)

And I know I've said it before, but I really do think that Clark's and Lex's friendship has taken a turn for the worse. Lex did something very naughty in Ep2 and I think it was the final straw. The battle between the two will be very interesting I think.

Pash, I have to go into my memory banks and recall some of the significant moments in S4 for us to discuss ;)
    I'm not sure if S5 should be the last or not. It may be unwise because the new film will spark some major interest in Smallville and WB might want to take advanatge. Then again it maybe nice for Smallville to end, and then have the film franchise take over, if you know what I mean. But Smallville has grown and grown which is quite rare for a TV series (usually they shrink and shrink the longer they go on), so I do think there is still life in the old girl yet and if the producers/writers agree, then we could be seeing a bit more which would be no bad thing. It's still very fresh and none the of the ideas seem tired or re-used.

BTW, I saw The Fog at a press-screening late last year ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.