Memph, TN The SMT Event Planning and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'South East Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Nov 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    I thought it would be a good idea to create a thread where we can discuss and plan upcoming events for the Memphis FanForce. I felt it would be nice to have a place where we could bounce around ideas for future events and get feedback from fellow members, as well as get ideas on how we could improve on past meetings and events.

Also, you'll find reminders for upcoming events and meetings here as well. We will continue to have individual threads on those which are concrete.

So, to start things off, here are the things which are now set in stone:

The SMT RPG Meeting: Saturday, November 15th, 3-6(?) pm, Audubon Park, (northwest corner of Southern and Getwell).

The SMT Christmas Party: Saturday, December 13th, 6 pm- our house.

Now, here are some things that are tentative, TBA, just something I have in mind, or something I know is upcoming that we may or may not want to take part in:

I've briefly spoken to the house coordinator at Ronald McDonald House about doing an indoor "Drive-In" night for the kids at the house. I'd like to do this sometime in January or February, but nothing is scheduled yet. Sherri, the house coordiator, said she'd love to do it, and that she'd love even more if we would show up in costume to do this. I would like to try and get the 501st and Rebel Legion involved in this if I could. I think it would be great fun to entertain the kids.

ShadowCon is coming up in January. After last year's miserable outing at MidSouthCon, I question if we really want to subject ourselves to this. (We met Lin there, so it wasn't all bad.) If anyone knows anything I don't, or sees an angle that I'm missing, please let me know. If this is really worth doing, then I'd hate to miss out.

Christmas parades and the likes- There are several coming up, including one in Hendersonville on the 7th (where the 501st and Rebel Legion will be marching), and one in Millington (I don't have the date for it). If anyone thinks it would be fun to costume up and join in, let me know. You know I'm game for pretty much anything.

The SMT All-Star Jug Band. We need a fiddle player, someone who plays the washtub base, a jug blower, and...
    I just made that one up to see if you were really paying attention.

The SMT Spring/Summer Film Festival: Just a random idea here. If I could get things set where I can get the drive-in screen up and down easily, I thought it would be cool to show a non-SW movie every Saturday night for a few weeks. No planning on food, show up if you want, if-it-happens-it-happens-if-it-doesn't-it-doesn't, weather permitting sort of thing.

MidSouthCon/DeepSouthCon: If we do decide to do this again, it may be a good idea to completely skip the discussion thing and just man a table (an idea suggested by Traci). Since we've found that MSC seems to be based more in Literature and RPG, we may want to keep our efforts minimal- to the point of just handing out some pens, talking to folks, and driving stakes through the hearts of the Vampire RPGers, because, hey, we can still see you!

So, that's it for the ideas I have right now. Other than that, we can just get together, talk books and movies, and have a good time without major effort. (And that would be fine with me as well.)

2. Ima_Toydarian Jedi Knight

star 1
    No jug band?! Man...

As far as the MidSouth/DeepSouthCon goes, any chance you/we could get them to invite a SW author or artist? Since they are more into the sci-fi literature they might. Also, Carlin wants to increase the comic fan base so I could help get him in touch with Dark Horse Comics.

ShadowCon I'm manning a table- it can be for the SMT, MSCA, or both. I'm hoping to have some of the MSCA's comics back from the publisher by then. If anyone else goes we could take turns watching it. We're also doing the RPG meeting to get ready for this. I'd like to get the memberships increased for both the SMT and MSCA- as well as get more exposure.

Would love to Drive-In Movie night more often- as well as show non-SW flicks. Hey- we could do a George Lucas 6 degrees of seperation and show something that has a SW reference, star, or ILM link of somesort to him. Could be fun- maybe even show a short film or toon before the feature.

That's my two cents.

Lin
  3. TheDarknessX Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Yes the Movie Idea would be great and I vote that we see the movie I have been wanting to see for a while and that is "Sleepy Hollow" and its too obvious of a Star Wars connection but there are 3 SITH in the movie!
    Darth Maul, Darth Sidious, and Darth Tyranus!
  4. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Thanks for putting in your 2 cents, y'all. It really means a lot to me to get some feedback on my ideas before they grow up to become "Seinfeld" episodes.

Lin: I forgot that you were already doing a table for the MSCA. Question: Do you have to pay the admission charge to man a table? I know the table is offered to us for free, but do we still have to buy tickets?

Also, if we decide to do ShadowCon, how far are we willing to go? Do we just want to do a table, or is anyone wanting to host an RPG? I'd like this to be a group decision, as I would anything that's going to require the time and resources of more than two or three members.

And I do want to watch non-SW films for future Drive-In nights.

Sal: That's what I want to hear, hermano! Suggestions!!! All we need is a widescreen format DVD. I'd like to see the Indy series done on the big screen.
  5. TK1427 Jedi Padawan

I would love to go to the Hendersonville Parade but I would not have transportation.

I also like your other ideas Tim.

Oh yea, I almost forgot, I play guitar and I have also been a member of an actual jug band. So I like that idea.

Chuck
  6. Steja_Palex Jedi Master

star 4
    I have the widescreen Indy trilogy on DVD, Tim. That'd be pretty cool.
  7. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    The Indy trilogy would rock! I forgot about the other Sith in Sleepy Hollow! I knew there were a TON of Tim Burton connections in it, but then there always is in his movies! I think we didn't watch it this year because we watched it and Killer Klowns last year. I'd love to get a copy of Corvette Summer- yeah, it's cheesey as hell but I love that movie! I'd also love to watch ALIEN or ALIENS, Spaceballs, Mars ATTACKS!, The Day The Earth Stood Still, or Back To The Future. Maybe we could invite some of the Con folks we meet or the 501st. I know there's never been a real mixing of the two clubs, but Chuck's been hanging out with us and he's ok!

Don't know about the ShadowCon admission. Since the table is free I'd imagine we'd have to pay to get in- but remember, there's safety in NUMBERS! I don't need much space for the MSCA- just some room for the comics and a flip folder or photo album!

After Thanksgiving I should be free to help more.

Lin

8. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    I would have to get back in touch with the ShadowCon folks. Granted, we have two months, and I wouldn't be looking to do anything fancy.

9. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    If you contact them, see if I reserved one or two tables- if two hopefully they know to put them together!

With cons we all know you roll the multi-sided dice and take your chances on whether it's a good or a bad one! Since I've never been to this one I have no idea what to expect...but it would be another chance for all of us to hang out, talk SW/SMT, and make fun of ANYONE geekier than us!

Again, safety in numbers!!!
  10. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Lin's right about that. I remember what Sal said upon entering MidSouthCon....

"All of a sudden, I feel cool. I feel like the Fonz!"

He was right. I have never felt so normal in my entire life.

UPDATE: I have contacted RMH regarding a Drive-In night for the kids, as well as involving us in other events as well. I'm pushing for January 17th for the Drive-In night at RMH, but that could, of course, change. I will do everything possible to make sure we all have at least a month's notice.
  11. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    You go, boy!

I think we can have a blast at them all. Don't be discouraged if only a few members can attend each. I felt really strange and put out when I was on a comics panel at MSC a couple years back and there were more folks on the panel than in the audience! At Wonderfest only five or six folks showed up to Terry Beaty's (Batman artist) Q&A! We ended up having a good time shooting the s*** for an hour or so.

"Size matters not."

Oh, and about the 'sir' comment and your ego size increasing in the TFT's post- if your head gets too big we'll just have to scrap the Vader costume idea and go with a Dark Helmet costume!

Lin
  12. Mkingsley Jedi Knight

star 1
    Regarding MidSouthCon, I have heard a rumor that (and let me make this next word completely clear)

allegedly...
    allegedly...
    allegedly...

due to some infighting in the Vampire crowd, there has not been a Vampire Live Action Roleplaying (LARP) game yet planned for MidSouthCon. Now that doesn't mean that one won't happen. But personally, I'm tired of all the LARPs at MSC be Vampire LARPS.

I need to get in touch with "Mac", the creator of Cthulhu Live who recently moved to Memphis, regarding running a Lovecraftian LARP.

But there is no reason that a Star Wars LARP can't be done at either ShadowCon or MSC. It's been done before, and personally, I would prefer seeing something other than Vampire being done over and over and over...

For some examples of Star Wars LARPs, see:

"Belly of the Beast"
    http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3018/swlarpbelly.htm

"Escape Pod"
    http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3018/swlarpescape.htm

Future's Hope
    http://www.geocities.com/jeanniehorror/fhintro.html

Last the Night
    http://www.dreamsofdeirdre.org/past.html#LTN

Do a Google search, and you'll see SW LARPs are 'da bomb in Europe. Not so in the US.

And it may be premature to say this, but Peter David (who has done a small amount of SW stuff) has been invited to be Author GoH at MidsouthCon 2005, but no commitment from him as of yet (at least none that has been communicated to me).
  13. Ima_Toydarian Jedi Knight

star 1
    Peter David, huh..?! Finally someone I've heard of- and it figures it's because of his comic book writing!

So if we did this LARP stuff, could stormtroopers or jedi cloak themselves by crossing their arms..?

Lin
  14. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Tim crosses arms across his chest.

Nope. Doesn't work. Traci says she can still see me.

The Hendersonville Parade is Dec 7th. It's a Rebel Legion/501st thing, from what Traci has told me. I know Chuck is interested. Anyone else? Only prob is that we may have a schedule conflict on our own social calendar.
  15. TK_1427 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Actually, the Hendersonville Parade is Sunday December 14th. The lady in charge of it told Skip via email that the website has the date wrong and apologized. (And this info I got right this time!!!!!!)

I crossed my arms and my wife still can't find me. I'm gonna stay this way for awhile.
    Did you know it's a pain to type with your nose.

Chuck
  16. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Just as long as it's your nose you're using, Chuck.

You can stink up the keyboard by using your toes.

What did y'all think I meant? Get your minds out of the gutter!
  17. Ima_Toydarian Jedi Knight

star 1
    Where exactly is Hendersonville?
  18. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    I have no idea. I know that it's where Grace is from.

Mapquest time.
  19. Steja_Palex Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually, Grace is from Henderson in Chester County.
    Hendersonville is near Nashville.
    Grace's hometown is about a half-hour from mine.
  20. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Ah....Shows how attentive I....

gets distracted by shiny object

....am.

That's an awful long way to go for a parade.
  21. Ima_Toydarian Jedi Knight

star 1
    Nightmarez has decided not to do the Bartlett parade this year. Good thing- considering Pooh almost had a freakin' heart attack!

Pooh Bear out of shape...

Linny the Pooh
  22. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    I can completely understand that, Lin. I'm really not much for marching in those thick robes and uncomfortable boots, especially considering how damned warm it can be around here in December.

UPDATE: Sherri from RMH emailed me today. She's going over January's schedule tomorrow, and will let me know about a date and time for our Drive-In Night at RMH.
  23. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    Walking wasn't too bad- it was the tripping over someone's feet, getting my head turned sideways, getting left behind, runnnig to catch up, and almost having a heart attack in a fur suit that sucked! Todd yelling, "WE LOST POOH!" is funny NOW...

Maybe if someone has a truck or trailer next year we could do a couple parades.

Glad to hear Sherri emailed you back. I think the kids will get a big kick out of it.

Lin
  24. Aravis_Antilles Jedi Knight

star 1
    Urg... not to be beating a dead duck here, but I talked again to one of the organizers of MSC. He said that alternate table space is available if we get up and do it. Also, just about anything else is cool if we contact the right people. Spell out what we're willing to do for yummies, and I'll be the contact if you like.

GRACE SAYS SHE'S FROM HENDERSON!

Wheee!!

Joy*, Moo.

P.S. Quack. Damn, it's still alive.
  25. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    Yeah, but where IS Henderson?!

I wish the MSC would move the freebie/flyers tables to where you guys were last year, registration to where the banquet area was, and us and/or the 501st to the open registration/flyer area. It would open things up a bit more, and registration would be closed by the time they had to set up for the banquet, or they could put late registration next to the freebies where you were if they had to set up for the banquet.

I'm up for helping out with any display stuffs and working the table some.

Lin
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.