main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN The SMT Event Planning and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Nov 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    If we work it down to something simple, then I'm game. I don't want to do another panel, nor anything along that line.

Lin's right about the tables: The location we were stuck in last year was awful. It felt like we were one step away from being shoved in a broom closet, or a stall in the men's room.

2. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    At least the men's room was well lit!

3. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    hello fellow FF members,,,,

heres the lowdown on the parades,

the parades are the weekend of the 13th and 14th.
    saturday the 13th the 501st is going to be in the Gallatin,TN parade.
    then on sunday we'll be in the Hendersonville,TN parade.

Hendersonville is about 15 minutes north of Nashville,Gallatin is about ten minutes north of that.

we invited the rebel legion and the nashville FF to march with us again.we did the Hendersonville parade last year and it was fun.
    weve got alot of troopers coming in from all over the region for this.you guys would be welcome as well.
    yes,3 hours is a long drive and i dont blame you for not coming.we do this kinda stuff all the time and are a little more used to it.but your still welcome to come.

there are plenty of places to stay around here.if a carful came over you could stay the night for about 10bucks each.so its not really that expensive.

and yes,CHUCK got it right,hahahaha

As for MSC,
    i know that we had a blast last year.i dont care what or who is there.ill be there to have fun.maybe this year we can all hang out more and get to visit.we stayed up till around 4-5am both nights that weekend!so stay and hang out with us.
    I didnt mind the spot the tables were placed at,you guys could have used a little more room with the projector.and we were kinda stuck in the middle of traffic,
    but isnt that kinda what we wanted??
    we wanted people to see us,well thats what we got.
    anywhere that i can get a table ill be happy to have it.and ill be wearing a non-starwars costume in the contest this year.

cya
    skip

4. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Tim: Regarding the Christmas Party on the night of December 13th...would this be potluck? And is this date set in stone? If yes, then I'm gonna ask for that day off, so we're not late.

5. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Steve: The date is in stone. (I chiseled it myself.) As far as potluck- As we stated earlier, Traci and I will supply the turkey, a few simple side dishes (like veggies, etc), and the punch. If anyone would care to bring anything to go along with the main dish, or a dessert, then it would be more-than welcome. I think I should have plenty of canned drinks for this shindig, considering that I waaaaaaay overbought sodas for the campout, and I still have them in a cooler.

6. Steja_Palex

Aug 18, 2001
    Sorry, Tim, I tried to find the info in here, but must've overlooked it.

7. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    "and ill be wearing a non-starwars costume in the contest this year. "

Skip- say it isn't so, a NON Star Wars costume..?! Tell me you haven't gone 'Trekkie' on us!

Looking forward to MSC this year. I went this year not expecting much but ended up having a blast! I enjoyed your costuming seminar (you all looked MARVELOUS!), hanging out at the costume contest with the SMT folks (who invited the WAMPA?!), and talking with some of the other comic folk- Eddy Zeno's Curt Swan slide presentation was great-and it's always fun to hang out with Antone and Janet!

Don't think I'll make it to the parades in your neck of the woods this year. Since I don't have a SW costume yet (at least not one i'd want to stand next to you all in!) I may wiat until next year. I've got a few buds in/around Nashville I could crash with, or I'll see if I can't talk a few jedi into doing a day trip.

Tim- count me in for a desert. I'll make one of my bachelor specials likw no-bake cheesecake or peanutbutter pie!

8. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Mmmmmm.....cheesecake.

Tim drools and stares off into space...

That would be splendid, Lin.

9. Ima_Toydarian

Ima_Toydarian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2003
    Consider it done!

Cherry or strawberry..?

Haggle

10. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    A trekkie costume,,,,,hmmmmm,now that gives me an idea!!!
    no,no,i wouldnt do that.not that im against the trekkies ,its just not anything id be interested in.

youll have to wait and see it,its one ugly mother ......................

11. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    One ugly mudda fu...... :D

Hehehehehehe......

I think I got it, Skip.

12. TK_1427

TK_1427 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    I'm pretty sure I know what it is but I'm not gonna tell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (I hate it when Skip puts me in that Force choke hold!)

Chuck

13. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Can't wait to see it, Skip- a Rosanne Barr costume isn't what I would want to wear to a con, but hey- to each his (or her!) own!

Actually, I saw a 7' stand-up prop of the costume you're talking about! I've been wanting to do an Alien one. Speaking of which, have you seen the trailer for AVP?

I talked to Sal about costuming last night. I still want to do the Chewie one, but am going to start off with a jedi outfit first, and work on the other on the side. Then maybe after my implants I can go for the gold bikini...

14. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Roseanne? Didn't we see several of those costumes at MSC?

See the costuming thread, Lin. I'm free this Saturday.

15. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Groovy!

Yeah, a chain and/or fur bikini should have a size limit!

16. Steja_Palex

Aug 18, 2001
    bump (C'mon...let's us this.)

You're welcome, Tim.

17. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Uh.... Thank you, Steve.

18. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    The SMT Christmas Party: Saturday, December 13th, 6 pm- our house.

It figures I've got 3 things now on that date! Oh well, one is early in the morning at the RMH, and the second is from 5-8 pm downtown- work Christmas party. Since I need to go by it to pick up my Christmas bonus, it may be 7:30 before I make it out to your neck of the woods, Tim. BUT I WILL BE THERE!

About the MSC- I did have someone contact me about the table location situation and said it would be brought up at an upcoming MSC planning meeting. This should be a much bigger con this year, and I noticed on a flyer at Comics and Collectibles that there's some of the same folks coming back this year, which is cool since a couple are friends!

I'll be at ShadowCon in January. If anyone else makes it out feel free to stop by my table and hang out. I could use the SW company!

19. Steja_Palex

Aug 18, 2001
    I'm asking for that Saturday off. I have to bowl in a parent/child bowling tournament with Reed that morning, but will have the rest of the day to hang out and be merry with the SMT!! D-burg representin'!!

20. Ima_Toydarian

Ima_Toydarian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2003
    I'm down wit dat!

21. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Alrighty, everyone. It's time to resurrect this thread and start talking SMT in 2004.

First order of business: The next meeting. Anybody have any suggestions as to a time or place? Rhonda suggested that we do something different for our next get-together, and I completely agree. It's time to breathe some new life into our meetings, and maybe a few changes of venue will help.

Another thing we've decided is that we'll attend MSC, but we won't man a table. Of course, I'm speaking for myself, Traci, and Rhonda right now, but I think it could be a lot more fun than we had last year. (Granted, plucking the back hair from an angry redneck would be more fun than last year's MSC.)

What we have decided so far is that we'll get a couple of rooms and just party like we always do. The way we'll represent the SMT is to just show up in costume, talk to folks, and hand out pens and flyers. (And of course, we'll make fun of the freaks and geeks like we always do. Why break tradition, right?)

Right now, MSC has yet to announce their exact dates. Rooms at the hotel are $79 a night, which several of us can split.

Of course, these are just the things that Rhonda and I have discussed. We would love to hear from all of you regarding what you'd like to see and do in 2004.

And of course, we're keeping an eye on 2005. Celebration III in definitely in our crosshairs, and we'll be there even if we have to do a roadtrip. (Considering the price of airfare, that just may happen.) As soon as the location and dates are announced, we'll start rallying the troops to get their hotel reservations, and start planning the trip. Start saving your pennies, folks!

22. Mkingsley

Mkingsley Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2003
    Actually, MSC had announced its dates several months ago (March 26-28, 2004), and it's on the homepage of the website.

Throwing a room party is a great idea. I'm sorry you had such a crappy time at MSC last year, but believe you me, last year's MSC is sooooooooooo much better than the first MSC I attended when I moved to Memphis from Kansas City. That was held at the Brownstone (now the Wyndham Gardens) in downtown Memphis. HooBoy, now that was a third-rate hotel. And the programming there sucked like a blown airlock in deep space.

And they had no room parties. Zip. Zilch. Nada. I realize that they're expensive, and require more people to run it than the one(s) charging the room to their credit card, but they're almost a necessity in promoting one's convention and/or group. The past couple of years, MSC is now breaking their long history of not throwing room parties at other cons, and is now reaping the benefits of those efforts with increased attendance.

But rather than just bitch about it (which I did), I tried to get involved and make small changes. But you're right about one thing, without new blood, the patient is just gonna wither away into some Emperor-looking husk of what it once was.

23. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I was pleased to see some effort to include comics/comic artists in the con last year. I actually had a good time, and thought it was one of the more enjoyable MSC's I had atttended in a LONG while! Then again, I didn't have to work a table!

I enjoyed the SPFX and comic panels. Eddy Zeno's Superman slide show was great! And I thought the 501st did a great job on their costuming panel. They and hanging out with the SMT and some of the comic guests really made the con worth attending. I also thought there was a good turnout for the art show- and meeting Kelly Freas was great. I really got a kick out of his Battlestar Gallactica jacket!

I got my MSC mailer yesterday- I actually got two, so I'll give Tim my extra copy.

I don't know how much I can help with the con (and I know Tim and Rhonda were a bit put off at one of the con meetings), but if there's anything I can help out with let me know. I'd be more than happy to donate some art/toons for the programs, or help set up the art show. I know I'll have at least a few pieces in it.

Oh, do you need any freebies/promo items for the front lobby tables? Can't guarantee anything for sure, but have some friends in the comic biz that may be able to send some stuff down.

Tim/Rhonda: I'll get with you and the others at an upcoming meeting about designing flyers and such for the con. We could always do up a display to leave on the freebie table.

Lin

24. Mkingsley

Mkingsley Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2003
    I kinda wish Tim & Rhonda would send some constructive criticism my way in a private message (hint, hint) about what put them off at that meeting, because it was so long ago I don't recall what happened. I do know that there are certain personalities in that group that simply astonish and confound me, but there are also a few that do know what the heck they're doing. They're contract-savvy, can balance a checkbook, and have learned from their mistakes.

P.S. I also sent Tim an e-mail I received from someone from The Commercial Appeal, who wants to do articles on local clubs and groups. Might be good for SMT.

P.P.S. Oh yeah, free stuff is almost always cool.

25. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Heh, heh, remind me to tell you about my meeting with the JayCee's once about helping to plan a haunted house and the only horror movie any of them could recall seeing was Christine!

Don't recall exactly what it was that put them off- they could tell you better (hint-hint!) I do know that in my personal experience a lot of it had to do with organization and who was in charge of what. Again, that could be because of being shorthanded.

I'll get on trying to find some freebies. Is there anyplace/person in particular that I should have them sent to- and when?

Lin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.