Memph, TN The SMT Event Planning and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'South East Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Nov 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Time to start talking what's in store for 2004, folks.

I know we've got plans for the SMT Spring Film Festival, so we need to decide what we're going to show.

Also, remember that I need to get our MSC rooms reserved by the end of next week. I'm sure payment won't come until either check-in or check-out.

Next month, Rock 103 has the Radiothon for RMH. I wouldn't mind getting involved with that, and then going to the wrap party.

And then in May, we need to start planning for the opening of Episode III. Only 15 more months until the Saga is complete! We need to start talking to theaters and radio stations. We also need to work on growing our fan base, which I've started doing already. If you know a fellow fan, drag him or her kicking and screaming to the next meeting. I won't tell if you have to take them out of the trunk and remove the duct tape so they can participate. To quote Sgt. Schultz: "I know nothing!"

We need some ideas for a February meeting, so if you have something in mind, or if you'd like to host, chime right in.

I don't know if we'll do a March meeting since we have MSC at the end of the month. Also, do remember to buy your MSC tickets beforehand if you plan on attending.

Any other comments and suggestions? Bring it! We definitely want to know what you want out of your FanForce chapter.

-Tim
  2. Mkingsley Jedi Knight

star 1
    Not exactly close (but not too far) is the Music City Spring Show the weekend before MSC (March 21, 2004), at the State Fairgrounds in Nashville. See http://www.musiccityconventions.com/springshow.html
  3. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    Thanks for the info, Mike. I'll go check out their site at lunch.

Tim- I've got a few things in the works for the club, but will run them past you and Rhonda before finalizing anything and posting it.

Lin
  4. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Lin- (aka Mr. Above-and-Beyond-the-Call-of-Duty): Cool! Can't wait to see what you've done this time!
  5. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    Well you're just gonna have to wait, lil' mister- at least until I can get this dang banner to load right!
  6. Mkingsley Jedi Knight

star 1
    Another event that is not exactly close (but not that far) is CoastCon (see http://www.coastcon.org/27/index.html) held April 2-4, 2004 at the Mississippi Gulf Coast Coliseum and Convention Center in Biloxi, MS. This convention is always held at about the same time of year as MSC, and used to be havily media-oriented. From the website, it appears that they may have reduced their scope (mediacons tend to be expensive to produce, from what I've heard), but still have a large media presence.

I've never been to it. Can't remark on it. But you can check a con review from 2001 at:
    http://www.dawnmarie.org/coastcon/

Dawn Marie, if you did not know her, used to host a great site and was a staple at several fun cons in the South. She went to that Great Con in the Sky a little less than 2 yrs. ago, and it was a shock to many fans. If you know nothing about her, I urge you to check out her website http://www.dawnmarie.org(Original homepage link http://www.dawnmarie.org/orig-index.html ).

P.S. Essentially, I get the impression that MSC has tried to have a slightly different focus than Coastcon in order not to be "unfriendly competition".
  7. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    Well MSC apparently didn't make a deal to keep the Empire out of there, or let Land do the negotiations! (Just kidding Skip and Joey!)

When has MSC ever have a heavy enough focus to warrent worrying about 'unfair competition'? Heck, other than Michael Sheard, Robin Curtis(sp?) is the only other media guest I can remember. You could add 2 or 3 more media guests and easily still be in the clear! Oh, speaking of which, I'm going to be PM'ing you with some contact info for Richard Hatch. He'd be cool to have because he's not only an actor, but a writer, director, and more- and would be interesting to hear his comments on the new show, and other incarnations of it in comics and novels.

If the MSC keeps their focus as narrow as it has been they really aren't going to see that big of an increase in attendance #s. In fact, without widening the scope of the con to include more TV, movies, comics, and more mainstream novel guests (such as the SW EU)- as well as include other catagories of sci-fi such as horror, and activities like kit building they will lose potentioal guests to other cons like DragonCon, MegaCon, and CoastCon.

I would rather spend my money hear, but if it means skipping a local con like MSC and driving a few hours and spending a few more bucks to see better guests, activities, and more I'll do it- and I'm sure many more around here would as well, not to mention those who come here from out of town.

I think there is plenty of room under the title of Midsouth Science and Fictions Conventions Inc.
    for Trekkies, SW, gamers, science(NASA), horror, SCA, manga/anime, comics, and more to co-exist here in Memphis. I'm willing to support the MSC as long as it's willing to keep me interested.
  8. Steja_Palex Jedi Master

star 4
  9. Mkingsley Jedi Knight

star 1
    You make some good points, Lin, but I fear that you may be preaching to the choir.

What I said is still the impression I got from the "Old Schoolers" running the shebang. One of the worst offenders left the group (thank God); there was a definite reason why, a couple of years ago, I made copies of "The NeoFan Manifesto" (http://www.emcit.com/neofan.shtml) and left it out on the freebie table.

Maybe this year I need to turn it into a 3' by 4' sign ....

10. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    That might help!

Actually, that was a good read- and I could identify with a lot of those points. Why just the other day I mentioned #6 to my famous author friend 'Bob'...

6 - Don't assume that we're all on a first name basis with authors or big name fans, use last names when you refer to people. (There is more than one guy named Bob out there you know...) We all wear nametags for a reason. Help the Neo Fans meet new people and find new authors to read.

Seriously, can you get that put into the MSC programs?

"You make some good points, Lin, but I fear that you may be preaching to the choir."

Wouldn't be the first time!

I hope you, and especially the 'old bloods' realize that there are sci-fi fans out there that want a fun, diverse, and exciting con- and are willing to come out and support such a thing. We also appreciate the work that goes on to make such an event possible. (I've been a part of the RMH's special events commitee for 4 years or so- so I know and can relate!)

I got to meet the SMT and 501st folks at last year's con, and made a lot of new friends- (mostly by cracking jokes during the costume contest!) I also got to talk to a lot of folks at the artshow meet/greet, the banquet, comic panels, and hanging out with some friends in the lobby.

2 - Don't assume everyone knows your name, or your work (if you're an author, artist, costumer, etc.). Wear your nametag. Introduce yourself. Have a name card if you are a panel participant. "Hi, I'm Arthur Grande and you should all know who I am." does not cut it.

Again,let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Oh, and I'm bringing a friend- or two!

12 - Always remember, someone in the audience is at their first convention (Or their first WorldCon, or "insert name of con"Con). As fans we need to assure that they feel welcome and enjoy themselves enough to come back for another visit next year, and hopefully bring a friend.
  11. Mkingsley Jedi Knight

star 1
    Actually, I need to amend that line above to read SOME of the Old Schoolers. Most of the others want to see things change, but I suspect they kind of got "quenched" in the past. And some of them are just interested in other things, like British SF TV (Dr. Who, Blake's 7, UFO, The Avengers), or ST.

Actually, now I think of it, the Manifesto needs to appear again at MSC. I'll work on the sign.
  12. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Michael: "The Manifesto"?
  13. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    Click here for the "The NeoFan Manifesto"

Pretty much says that there's room for many diiferent types of sci-fan and sci-fi fans, that we should try to get along and have a good time at cons, and meet new folks.

I'm all for that!
  14. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
  15. TK_1427 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Mike let me know if I can help out as well. This will be my first time to MSC.

Chuck
  16. Ima_Toydarian Jedi Knight

star 1
    Be sure to bring your dancing armor! This year should be a blast!
  17. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Finally read the entire "Neo Manifesto". Whoever wrote that precisely summed up some of my feelings.
  18. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    Yep. I've run into a few 'con-snobs', or the name-droppers. Granted I make plenty of con-slams about some of the guests, but I still think there's room enough for them- ok, most of them! (heh, heh)

It's funny, I've dealt with more of the con-snobs at local, smaller cons than I have bigger ones.

From the sound of things, Mike and Carlin want to change things for the better!
  19. Steja_Palex Jedi Master

star 4
    I read the Neo-Fan Manifesto, and agree whole-heartedly. While I've never attended a con, I do know that I'm sick of our "you're this and I'm this and they're this" society. We're all fans of Sci-Fi. While I love the SW films and grew up playing with my figures 24/7, I actually spend my time now watching more MST3K episodes than the SW films. But it doesn't matter. It's all about respect and common decency towards our fellow man/borg.
    By the way, I know I'll stick out like a sore thumb with you guys, but I'm working on a Mike Nelson costume from MST3K. Let me know if I'll be shunned by you guys if I do.
    I believe this is my 1000th post. I'm celebrating with an ice cold Sierra Mist and a Little Debbie Snack Cake, thank you.

20. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    You wild man, you!

Congrats.

Yep. I agree. I love Star Wars, Star Trek(well, some incarnations), BattleStar Galactica, Space1999, Stargate/Stargate SG1, Highlander, Buffy, Batman,Spiderman, The Crow, Universal Monsters, BeetleJuice, comics(Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, etc.- not just one or the other), model kits, toys, and more- and can hold a decent intellegent conversation on most if not all the above topics with just about anyone.

One of the main things that bugs me at cons are the fan-boys. Now, I'm not talking about folks who are fans of a particular genre or topic. I mean the folks who are either obsessed to a point it's creepy and/or thier line between reality and fantasy has blurred, they don't consider any opinion by others as valid if it differs from theirs, or they are so steeped in the topic that they feel the need to correct any little thing that my be slightly incorrect- and list the episode/issue, it's #, creators, air/publishing date, etc. God help you if they start telling you about a story or character they 'created'! I've got a ton of usuless trivia swimming around in my grey matter, but I try not to be obnoxious about what I know- or don't know! I also try to be very polite and considerate when I meet the celebs. Monopolizing someones time by running off at the mouth, having an overabundance of multiple copies to have signed, telling then that they 'hated this' or 'hated that' at signings drive me nuts! I've run into media guests before in the halls and asked if they would mind signing an autograph or have a picture taken. 9 times out of 10 they're more than happy. The one or so times theyrefuse they are usually being dragged to thier next panel or autograph session- no biggie. I've even had guests come over to me during a con and start up a conversation.

I've been in on a few discussions at cons where folks try to prove just how big a fan they are- and/or you're not! I had to just kind of excuse myself from a conversation about comics with a kid who was barely 20 and 'owned' a comic shop. He was spouting off his opinions about the current state of the comic industry, without having any real grasp of its past. Heck, he was still in diapers (if that old) when the black and white explosion hit,(Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Cerebus, The Tick, and independent comics of the 80's) and was in elementary school when Image Comics and Dark Horse came along to give Marvel and DC (the two big guns in comics) a run for their money and share of the comic market pie. Only his opinions were valid, and even if he was proven wrong he still would try to weasel out of it. Made me wish I had a few of my walking encyclopedia friends around! Later that night I ran into some folks from the SMT and everything was fun again!

I like to walk away from a convention knowing something I didn't when I walked in. I dig going to panels, dicussions, presentations and coming away entertained and educated. I like meeting celebs and making friends with them and non-celebs.

When I meet up with someone at a con who is a 'con-snob' or 'fan-boy/girl' and I don't want to be talked down to (or creeped out!)I usually just excuse myself and go find something fun to do- or just mix another drink and find a quiet corner...
  21. Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA

Manager
    star 6
    Last years MSC was the only Con I?d ever been to and I missed most of it, but it sounds like the perfect place to show off my mutant power. [face_mischief] After 11 years of being a nurse (meaning that complete strangers feel compelled to share their health problems with me intimate detail), I have perfected the ability to Smile Like I Care and then Walk Away. :cool:

However ? the first stormtrooper who tries to ?arrest? me is in for a rude awakening....... [face_devil]
  22. TK_1427 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Darn, there goes my plans :)

Chuck
  23. Steja_Palex Jedi Master

star 4
    Ya know, Chuck, it's the quiet ones ya gotta watch out for.
  24. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    Well, at least she can help set any broken bones!

I'm really looking forward to this year's MSC. Last time I went by myself and hoped to run into some friends. This year I'm meeting friends there!
  25. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    That reminds me- We need to start compiling a list of possible films to show during the spring film series.
    Start posting your answers in the Event Planning and Discussion Thread, Y'all.

I vote for:
    the Indy trilogy
    Back to the Future trilogy
    Clerks, MallRats, and/or Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
    Aliens
    Stargate
    Highlander
    Dark City
    Superman:The Movie
    Batman('89 or 60's)
    RoboCop
    Smokey and the Bandit
    Corvette Summer (sorry, but I love that movie!)
    American Graffiti
    Comic Book: The Movie
    ESB

I'd also like to watch a fan film and/or a cartoon before each one.

Troops
    Death Star Clerks
    Batman:Dead End
    The Clone Wars
    Batman: TAS (maybe MadLove or another with the Joker)
    The Flash (with Mark Hammil as the Trickster)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.