Memph, TN The SMT Suggestion Box

Discussion in 'South East Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Jul 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Here it is- A place to voice any suggestions on anything involving the SMT. Post your suggestions, complaints, rants, and ideas here regarding your Memphis FanForce.

All I ask is that:

1) We keep this thread on-topic

2) No comments regarding individual SMT members be posted here. (Those can always be PM'd or emailed to Rhonda and me, and will be dealt with privately.)

and

3) That when addressing a suggestion that you disagree with, please remain courteous to the one who made the suggestion.

So, let 'er rip, everyone. Let's hear what you have to say about the SMT.
  2. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    Hey, did you hear there's a new Spiderman movie out..?

(Sorry, couldn't resist to be the first to take this off topic!)

Any ideas on promotions, getting more members, fun events we could do as a group?

Lin
  3. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Thanks, Lin. We could always have more members, and you've done more than your fair share to bring in new recruits, which I greatly appreciate.

But, let's face it- It seems that several of our members have completely lost interest in the SMT. This is why I started this thread- to address the possible causes of loss/lack of interest, and to get some solutions for this issue, among others. This club is a team effort, and it can't survive with just a handful of people making all of the plans and hoping that everyone else will be happy with them. This is why I need folks to chime in about what they love and hate about the SMT, and what they want to get out of this club.

Maybe we could do something to promote one of the upcoming Drive-In Nights, as well as the club. A while back, I talked about putting a small leaflet in just about every SW book in every bookstore in town to try and lure new fans. Anybody think that idea is worth revisiting?

We still have a buttload of pens. I thought about clipping them onto boxed SW figs in the stores. (We'd need permission first, of course.) I thought that maybe if we hit the new Classic Trilogy and the Unleashed lines, then maybe we could get a few interested folks to take notice.

Also, after the dismal attendance we had at the last Drive-In Night, (which was still fun, nevertheless), I'm starting to wonder if maybe many of you are tired of it already. This is why I'm trying to schedule some non-movie get-togethers, and maybe add something to the next Drive-In event. I do still have a live-action, customizable Jeopardy game that would fit in well with Drive-in night. Would anyone be interested in seeing something like that added in on top of the movie? What would make this event more interesting to you?

4. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    I'm still digging movie nights. I think it's one of the coolest things going. I should be there for all of them, although I may have to miss 'Sleepy Hollow' because of haunt or a road trip.

Maybe it's just that time of year. Please tell me folks don't have lives?! I want one, too!
  5. WonderPants Jedi Knight

star 3
    Even as the SMT's most far flung member, I've noticed the lack of people participating.

I don't have any suggestions on how to improve things though, unfortunately, other than to make sure that people know what's going on when. Short of physically dragging them there by the hair, there's not much more you can do after that.

And does it matter that much if you don't have that many members? Perhaps you just ought to focus things around the regular members.
  6. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    I agree with Ben, Tim. You lucky devil you, Ben. ;)

We're having fun! We are a group of people who share a love of the GFFA, hanging out and drinking, er...I mean having fun. Some will make it to some things, some will make it to others. The trick is to just enjoy it. We've achieved what we actually should have been conspiring to all along, just be a group of friends who hang and talk Star Wars.

7. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    I know what you mean, Ben and Rhonda. To be honest, I would feel selfish not sharing the club with others. I mean, if we do grow, it won't change my relationships with those of you whom I've become friends. But I remember the days when Traci and I had no one else to discuss and share our fandom with, and how nice it was to join this group. I'm sure there are a few others out there like us, and I'd like to let them know that we exist.

In the meantime, though, I will continue to enjoy myself, have a good time with my friends, and be thankful that I am part of this group.

Anyway, I keep thinking of what the voices told me before I designed and constructed the monstrosity that is presently looming over my house:

If you build it, they will come.

8. DarthToddy Jedi Master

star 2
    Hey I had to work...or I would have been there :D

John
  9. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    To be honest, I would feel selfish not sharing the club with others. I mean, if we do grow, it won't change my relationships with those of you whom I've become friends. But I remember the days when Traci and I had no one else to discuss and share our fandom with, and how nice it was to join this group. I'm sure there are a few others out there like us, and I'd like to let them know that we exist.

We've done many things to let them know we exist, but we can't drag them in by the hair. I think it may be unrealistic to think that we'll get an influx of people in the lean times between movies. We'll get a spike (maybe) after EpIII, then it will go to a core group like we have now. All of the folks that post on the Indy group, and all the Atlanta folks, even with their "membership" - I don't think they get 100% participation all the time. I would go so far as to say that 50% of Indy's or Atlanta's "membership" is board posters only, that only come to a few events. No one will be able to come everything and when they want to come they will. Its kind of like working with kids. If you make it something they have to do or they get razzed or there is some expectation, it tends to not be as "fun" any more, and people find other ways to enjoy their free time. But if you make the activity look fun or in our case, just show how much fun we are having with our commraderie, people will be more attracted to the events. There are lows and highs in the fandom as a whole and when the EpIII euphoria wears off, it will get worse - much worse, if history repeats itself. We'll have to be ready for that. All we can do is keep letting people know when and where and then have FUN with the folks that do come.
  10. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    I know.... I'm obsessing. It's the Clark Griswold in me and his over-expectations, Rhonda. I guess I feel responsible for things like low membership, disappearing members, and lack of turnout at events because I am the president of the group. But, I can honestly say that I take it a lot less seriously than I did a year ago, so I am improving. Vote me in for another year and I may be so laid back that I stop breathing.

I do still want to do something to advertise the group, but nothing big or major key. That's why I thought of doing something like the leaflets in SW books- quick, inexpensive, easy, and directed at an audience who we know will be interested in our group.

And you're right about groups like Atlanta. Mandy once told me that they have the same dozen or so core members out there who show up for everything. In that sense, and considering that the club is under two years old, we aren't doing that bad at all. I can deal with having a good core group like we have now, because I know it'll be those folks who'll remain with us, and remain our friends, long after the end of the SW Saga.

One mistake I know I have made is relying on our beloved local newspaper to get the word out about us. I was thinking of contacting the Memphis Flyer and Memphis Magazine about our events. The CA is useless.

OK, so any other thoughts on membership, anyone? Or on any other subject relating to the group?

11. WonderPants Jedi Knight

star 3
    I agree with Ben, Tim. You lucky devil you, Ben.

Indeed. I already have it logged for posterity. ;)

I know.... I'm obsessing. It's the Clark Griswold in me and his over-expectations, Rhonda.

Expect too much of people and you'll invariably be disappointed. I swore 18 months ago not to get bent out of shape by people not living up to expectations (and quite a few other things too, but I won't get into those), and it suits me rather better than previously.
  12. DarthMule Jedi Master

star 3
    The Tim Sez: Also, after the dismal attendance we had at the last Drive-In Night, (which was still fun, nevertheless), I'm starting to wonder if maybe many of you are tired of it already.
    --------------------------------
    Hey, I had a stomach flu and was rather busy on the 'run,' if you get my drift. So, I had an excuse. I like these things. I think it was maybe too close to the last date and folks had other things come up. But I'm diggin' these movie nites.

I suggest that when the next movie comes out we all go to the theater and watch it together one night.

nekkid

I love nekkid movie nites.
  13. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    I'll see what I can arrange, Kevin. I have a feeling that the Malco folks will say no. The folks who run Muvico, though...

Glad to hear that several of you like our Drive-In Nights. I'm rather proud of them, myself, especially when we were the first FF in the world to do them, and we still have the largest private movie screen among all of the FanForces. (Being obsessive can sometimes be a good thing, apparently.)

I think our changing the lineup to include the Prequels and the Classic Trilogy will be a good thing for not only our core members, but our more casual members, too. It also may help attract other fans. If it doesn't, well, too friggin bad for them.

In the "Planning our next get-together" thread, there were mentions of Riverboat Rides, bowling nights, and zoo trips. Anyone have any other possibilities for upcoming events?
  14. Nyborg13 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Beeing new to actually haveing a group to talk to about somthing I love is strange so I dont have any ideas for you yet. I could see about putting some fliers or somthing around here maybe a few people from the Little Rock area may want to hang with you guys a few times you never know I did and plan on being back.
    Tim I think you have done somthing wonderfull with the screen and all you guys we met where all great you treated us as fans/family instead of strangers. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
  15. DarthToddy Jedi Master

star 2
    What about a group dinner and a movie thing? Not at one's house or place, but meet somewhere...then leave to go eat out and then catch a movie?

John
  16. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    I'm always up for that!

Tim- earlier you mentioned the papers' lack of coverage. I met John Beifuss from the commercial Appeal the other night at the library. He's a HUGE movie fan. I mentioned the movie nights to him and Matt Singer (SPFX artist). I'll be sure to send them invites for all the future ones. Mike, if you talk to either feel free to do the same. John B did a great write up on the MSCA a few years back. Maybe we can get a press release about the club together. With the release of the DVD's that could be a good catch.

I've been inviting the Wake-Up Crew, Buzz jocks, and Tom Dees. John, if you see Tom or know of anyone else at work that would like to come please invite them. I think as it gets closer to fall more folks will come out.

Tim, I went thru the same thing as El Pre3z of the MSCA for four years. We had meetings that were standing room only, then others were only 4 or 5 showed up. Some dinner meetings we have to keep adding tables all night long, and then other nights you could fit us all at a holiday kiddie table. Hang in there. I'll be working on a promo for us next week. I'll have it out before the next Drive In Night.

Lin
  17. WonderPants Jedi Knight

star 3
    I met John Beifuss from the commercial Appeal the other night at the library. He's a HUGH movie fan.

What are HUGH movies?

....I'll get my coat....
  18. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Hugh movies... aren't those the movies you watch while in a car with a prostitute named Divine Brown, right?

Couldn't resist the Hugh Grant joke, y'all. Sorry.

Lin: How did you make arrangements for restaurant meetings for the MSCA? Was it ever a problem not knowing just how many would show up? Did you ever have a problem from management when folks didn't show up? I worry about telling a restaurant that we'll have 25 people and only four show up. Considering the pattern where we have excited chatter from folks who holler that they can't wait to see everyone at the next meeting, and then they don't show up, I don't want to make someone lose paying customers holding tables for folks who won't show up. (Unless we pick restaurants that are usually not that crowded. i.e.- we stay the hell away from Wolfchase, Cordova, and Germantown.)

Even if these media folks don't show up, it would be nice to get a mention, dammit! :p

Henry: We try and make everyone feel welcome, so we're glad to know we have succeded. If you're going to advertise for FanForce, one thing you may want to think about is trying to start one for Little Rock and the surrounding area instead of advertising for ours. (Not that advertising for us wouldn't be appreciated- We'll take anything we can get! ;) ) If you want to make the effort, request that a Little Rock board is created. If there are area fans around, they'll find it. Of course, you're always welcome to remain with us here in Memphis, even if you do get a chapter up and going over there, or if you don't want to go through the trouble of starting a Little Rock chapter.
  19. TK_1427 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Tim I think everything that you are doing is just fine. The drive-in movie nights are awesome! One thing I think we should do is something for the DVD release. I also love the idea of a bowling night. I just like hanging out with you guys so any excuse to do so is ok with me :)

Chuck
  20. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    What are HUGH movies?

I have no idea what you guys are talking about, and that was no prostitute- that was Eddie Murphy!

No problems from management. We've had dinner meetings at Memphis Pizza Cafe, Zinnie's East, R.P. Tracks, McAllister's, and I'm sure somewhere else. We just schedule it for a certain night of the month and hope folks show up. We've had a lot of success with R.P. Tracks. It's not too crowded on Thursdays, has an area out front where we can push tables together if needed, they serve alcohol, have a decent menu, not too pricey, and are centrally located near the UofM. Pizza Cafe could be a bit crowded at times- especially the one on the Square. If we have 5 or less that's a low turnout, 6 to 10 a pretty good turnout, 12 or more and we're filling up the place and barely get to say hi to everyone. 8 or so seems to be a good number.

Once it gets too cold to do the Drive-In Nights, we could always do a movie night where once a month we catch a matinee and dinner or lunch and a later show.
  21. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    I would like for all of us to try and steer our conversations into existing topics when applicable. One reason I'm requesting this is that it helps any newbies who happen it to catch up on the conversation about one topic without having to read 20 different threads, thus making it easier to get to know the members of the SMT. Another reason is that it helps the TFN administrative (i.e. Mandy) staff by reducing the number of dead threads they have to kill.

I don't want to make anyone feel as if I'm discouraging them from posting. However, many of the threads posted lately could easily fit into our social thread- The Rendevous. Considering the way we ramble off topic, and thus turn many (OK, nearly all, and I take responsibility for this as well) of such threads into a party, I think it would be better to keep one thread alive than trying to nurse several on for a few more pages.

Also, if you've posted topics that are now dead or irrelevant, please go back to your first post and lock them. By doing this, you help our admins by taking care of this for them.

22. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    How exactly do we do that..?

I tried to on one of my threads.
  23. Steja_Palex Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm not sure if my comments make any difference or not, since it's been well over a year since I've seen any of you. But I'd have to agree with Ben and Rhonda. I think the group is doing great. Seems like there's something always going on that the group is involved with. You get together and have a good time and at the same time, you're giving something back to the community. What more could you ask? I think it's awesome what the group is doing and can't wait to break free from Darth Real-Life's choke-hold and see you guys again. I miss you guys.

SMT RULES!!
  24. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    We'll be glad when you do break free of that choke-hold, Steve. It's been too long.

I like it when we do events. I enjoy being the big geek that I am and parading around in Jedi robes, especially when I'm with my fellow SMTers and it becomes yet another SMT party.

Working on an early November event, y'all. How does an SMT Disco Night sound?

To lock a topic, go to the your original post (the first post in the thread). Scroll down past the body box where you entered your message. Between the "Special markup codes...." and the "Please read the Terms of Service...", you'll see a drop down box that has a blue label to the left reading "Lock Topic", which will allow you to lock the thread yourself. (I went under Traci's name to see if this works for folks without any admin options, and the "lock topic" option is available.)
  25. TK_1427 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I would like to suggest that we do an event for the release of the DVD's. In costume preferablly. I know that Chris & Terri (501st members) from Jackson are willing to come when something is set up. Bill could also be available as well as maybe some of the Arkansas troops. Although, I probablly wont have any sort of costume by then, I still would like to see this happen and to be there. I would love to have an Imperial Officer outfit by then. Anyway, that is my suggestion. Any ideas on what location we could do this at? The only Suncoast is at Hickory Ridge and I don't think we wanna go there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chuck
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.