main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN The SMT Suggestion Box

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Jul 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Of course, the only problem there is that the DVD's are being released on a Tuesday, and that whole "work" thing is really interfering with it. Good suggestion, though, Chuck.

Remember that we'll be showing the newly-released DVD's on the big screen that weekend. If any of the 501st members are interested in coming, they're certainly invited, as is anyone else who is interested in attending.

2. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Of course, the only problem there is that the DVD's are being released on a Tuesday, and that whole "work" thing is really interfering with it.

Oh c'mon...it's just work.

I don't have a calendar in front of me, but I'm guessing the Big DVD Release Party/Drive-In Night event will be Sept. 25th? And will it be just one of the films or all three?

*edit
    Nevermind, I just checked the website...duh, don't know why I didn't do that in the first place.

3. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    I like it when we do events. I enjoy being the big geek that I am and parading around in Jedi robes, especially when I'm with my fellow SMTers and it becomes yet another SMT party.

As long as you don't start singing show tunes while wearing the robes!

Working on an early November event, y'all. How does an SMT Disco Night sound?

Sounds like we'll need to break out the FX sabers and make room for Sal on the dancefloor! Found the fog machines and fog-juice last night. Pat said if it's cool outside the fog will hang close to the ground.

Uh-oh, just had a vision of Tim dressed in Qui-Gon robes singin 'I Will Survive' under the mirror ball...yikes!

4. WonderPants

WonderPants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2003
    Uh-oh, just had a vision of Tim dressed in Qui-Gon robes singin 'I Will Survive' under the mirror ball...yikes!

Personally, I was imagining Tim and Trace doing a Jedi version of Staying Alive....

5. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    And I come home, and what is blaring in the living but none other than "I Will Survive".

No, I didn't dance.

But I do need to find a white polyester suit for Disco night.

Back to the suggestion box....

Do we want to make our next Drive-In Night a potluck cookout as well? If the weather is like it is now, then it'll be perfect for grilling.

How about a Classic Trilogy Luau for September 25th?

6. Steja_Palex

Aug 18, 2001
    Mmmmmm...a pig turning on a spit, pina coladas, Hawaiin (sp?) Feast pizza from Domino's...and select members of the SMT doin' the hula in their Jedi robes. Sounds like a party to me.

7. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Unless we do Greek night and roast a goat on a spit on the front lawn.

I dunno. A luau means that we have to buy leis. Then there's all the bad jokes.

8. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Doesn't matter to me, as long as we can all dance around the fire and sing the Ewok 'yub-yub' song and the end of ROTJ!

9. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Amen! Long live The Yub-Yub Song! [face_dancing]

(Please tell me everyone here knows what that is....or am I that old?)

10. Steja_Palex

Aug 18, 2001
    Yub Yub! (translation: I know what it is!)

Ever get the feeling the Ewoks' Yub Yub is like Hawaii's Aloha...it means a little of everything?

11. TK_1427

TK_1427 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    So I take it that's a NO on a DVD release costumed event? I'll let my 501st bretheren know.

Chuck

12. DarthToddy

DarthToddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2004
    YUB YUB.....nan na na nahhh......YUB YUB.....nan na na naahhh YUB! YUB! !! ROTFLMAO!!!! I like the idea of YUB YUB around the fire!!!

John

13. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    If you want to try and organize something, Chuck, I'll leave it up to you. Just remember that weekend's event, and be sure to invite your 501st homies.

14. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    With winter rolling in, as well as the Holidays, I'm reupping this thread in hopes of getting more ideas and feedback from our members. If anyone has any ideas and suggestions for the SMT, let them fly here. Just remember the rules of the thread as posted on page 1.

15. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    There's one rule we've always had with the MSCA- if you come up with it, be prepared to make it happen!

16. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Amen to that! We are adopting that rule, too.

If you have an idea or proposal for an event, please be aware that you are free to run with it and organize it yourself. And remember: We are very loosely structured- Some events are the big, more formal SMT events, but many more are of the smaller, non-formal variety (i.e.- last Friday night's trip to the movies). You don't have to have my permission or blessing to throw something together, and I don't want to be the one who has to organize everything. Some of the best get-togethers have been of the smaller, hastily-thrown-together variety.

I checked into using the Bartlett Community Center for a costuming meeting, and we would have to rent the room.

We need to find somewhere free, and with adequate room for costuming. Any suggestions?

17. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    Is there going to be a SMT Christmas party?

One thing they did at a now defunct SW website, artoosnews.com, was the adopt-a-pegwarmer toy drive. We collected a few hundred carded figs that people wanted to get off the inventory of local toy departments and sent them to a shelter to be given to children. We could do something like that.

Don't forget Star Wars Night at Triple Play on December 1 from 5-9.

If there is going to be a Christmas Party can it be early? I will be in LR for most of the break and I am afraid I am not as dedicated as Henry. ;)

18. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I'm not 100% certain as of yet about the Christmas party, Jacob. I'll provide the details as soon as I know something. But, I would like to know what everyone has in mind as far as a potential date for one.

19. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    If there is going to be a Christmas Party can it be early? I will be in LR for most of the break and I am afraid I am not as dedicated as Henry.

I'm thinking about doing one December 4th at my place. I'll be out of comission the rest of the season, so that'll be the last I see of most of you until after Christmas.

20. Nyborg13

Nyborg13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 28, 2004
    Hey Time the toy drive thing Jacob was talking about sounds like it could be fun but not living in Memphis it would be hard for me to try and help put together but would be mopre than happy to come and help if at all possible. I say in a Star Wars Insider last year I think where some of the 501st did somthing like that at a Toys R Us. If it could be cordinaated right then you could do your costuming and toy drive at the same time plus help out a cheraty.
    Jacob PM me your dates youll be in Little Rock we are working on on third meeting to make us offical and you are invited.
    Little Rocks back with a vegance and at the moment Im driving.

21. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Roo- sounds good to me for a get-together. Pencil me in.

As far as a toy-drive thing, there's usually at least one or two raio stations doing a remote toy drive. Keep your ears open and maybe we could go out and help with one. The peg warmer idea is cool. Also, the RMH has a Santa Shop for the parents and kids staying at the house. They get to pick up presents for thier family members, which is cool because most wouldn't have anything for Christmas. I can post a wish list of items for it.

22. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Last December, I contacted whoever was in charge of our local Toys for Tots campaign and never received a response. (Of course, since he was a Marine, he may have been deployed to Iraq at the time.) If anyone wants to take that ball and run with it again, please go for it. Otherwise, I think it would better, if not a lot easier, for us to jump on a bandwagon that's already built, such as one of the radio stations' drives.

Lin: Post that list when you get it. I'm sure the SMT could help out somehow. We may not be able to afford the Barbie Jeep, (which always appears on those lists), but we can spring for a few of the smaller items.

Jacob: I like the pegwarmer idea. If we could do something like that with Ronald McDonald House and Target House, it would be great. You want to quarterback that one?

Henry: Good luck with Little Rock FF, and have fun driving. (Just don't let it drive you crazy! ;) ) And don't worry about it if you can't join us for events- I understand completely. You probably won't have time if LR takes off.

23. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Actually, it's mostly smaller stuff- Barbies, GI Joes, SW, DVDs, DCs, and some adult items that the kids can pick out for their parents.

Children's Items
    Dolls (Barbie, baby, etc.)
    Remote control cars
    Boxed craft activities
    Diecast/plastic cars and trucks
    Educational toys
    Fisher Price/Playskool toys
    Games

Teen Items
    CDs and tapes
    Walkmans
    Playstation/Gameboy games
    Art supply kits
    Nail polish and/or make-up
    Videos/DVDs
    Gift cards

Adult Items
    Bath and body type items
    Golf accessories
    Picture frames
    Slippers
    Calendars
    Stationary and stamps
    Phone cards

All items should be new and unwrapped, and no stuffed animals, please.

I donated some model kits, action figures, and Hot Wheels and they loved 'em.

24. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks, Lin. Maybe we can all get stuff and caravan it over to the house.

25. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Yeah, I need to gather up a bunch of stuff. I figured I'd go snag a few more Hot Wheels and SW figs- they don't run much. I've got a call into Sherri to see when they'll have the store open and need stuff in by. Maybe we can shoot for our Christmas get-together to round stuff up for them.

If anyone has leads for other events/toy drives please follow up on them. Maybe we can do an appearance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.