main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~~~The Snake Pit~~~ METAL GEAR SOLID Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Obi-HaCoR, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    Who knows. Have we got an official release date yet? I mean H2 comes out 1 day before my b-day and that just isn't right, I wanna know nowwwwwww!!!

2. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
  3. Ceethreepio

Mar 4, 2003
    So curtain are you?

4. Ceethreepio

Mar 4, 2003
    opps, I meant are you sure?

5. Ceethreepio

Mar 4, 2003
    I just got back from my Gamestop and they said it is coming out on the 18th

6. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Who do you trust? The faceless corprete entity, or me?

7. Ceethreepio

Mar 4, 2003
    Both. I go to gamestop almost everyday, and I know the manager well. I also trust others I meet on SW websites, except SuperShadow.

8. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    About MGS2, I can't say I feel any sympathy towards those who complained about the story being too complex. Sure it's "extravagant" in its storytelling, but if one pays attention, it is not completely undecipherable. This is one aspect of MGS2 that actually made me like it more. In addition to the fantastic gameplay, it takes more than one playthrough to get everything about the story. I admit I was confused as hell when I first beat it, but that just gave me another reason to play through it again (as if I weren't anyway because of how fun it is). I could understand the complaints if the story had no point or made no sense, but it does - and if someone doesn't agree, there are plenty of articles and plot summaries of the game out there to prove otherwise. Or if you just flat out don't like the story because of the content, that's understandable. I just hate it when people dismiss a story just because they can't understand it.

Supposedly, Snake Eater is more straightforward in its storytelling but if anyone even thinks for a moment that it won't be "crazy" in parts, well, they're crazy. :p

9. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Word, people who don't like the plant chapter of MGS2 have difficulty forming sentences and watch a lot of reality TV. ;)

10. Ceethreepio

Mar 4, 2003
    This going to sound odd but when I saw EE, she looked HOT.

11. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Uhm, she is hot.

12. Ceethreepio

Mar 4, 2003
    Pooja. I would expect that out of you. I just put down 50 dollars to reserve Snake Eater at gamestop.

13. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Thanks. :)

Oh, you're supposed to get some kind of bandana pre-order bonus from Gamestop. Check back with them.

14. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    I hadn't heard anything about a bandana bonus. That sounds interesting. I'll check into that.

Oh, and about your earlier post about MGS2, pooja:

In addition to the fantastic gameplay, it takes more than one playthrough to get everything about the story.

That's the thing. You shouldn't have to play through it more than once. I did, and I'm pretty sure I understand fully what the story is all about, (some of those online articles helped, as well :p ) but I shouldn't have had to do that. Some people just don't have the time to replay through games like that, even ones as relatively short as MGS2. I did, at the time, have lots of free time to spare, but these days... In addition to everything in my life that's not videogame related, I have a extreme backlog of games that I need to get through. For instance, I've barely touched Metroid Prime, and my copy of Resident Evil Zero is still in its wrapping. Believe me, those games are just the beggining.

Supposedly, Snake Eater is more straightforward in its storytelling

Yeah, I've heard that, too, and I can't express how pleased I am, simply because I know it'll probably be a long time before I'll ever be able to replay Snake Eater, no matter how great it is.

I just hate it when people dismiss a story just because they can't understand it.

I don't think I outright dismissed the story, but I also think a story can be too complex and over the top for its own good. I mean, sometimes a person just wants to snap some necks, (or unload full clips of ammo into some necks, whatever your style of play) not hear about how Hal whine about how he slept with his stepmother for a half and hour. By the way, what was the point of that little tidbit of info? Did that plot point go anywhere at all? Or was it just some random babbling from Otacon? Not being sarcastic, I honestly can't remember.

All that said, I like the story in MGS2. I just think it could have been much better (And make no mistake, it's an incredible game) had the story been a little less... insane. :p

15. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Understandable. I see what you mean. I guess I just found enjoyment out of not getting the whole story the first time through.

In any case, IGN just reviewed Snake Eater, giving it a 9.6. Great score - however, they said it was the best MGS title, even though it scored just a few notches lower than MGS and MGS2. I guess some of it has to do with the fact of the lesser "impact" that MGS3 has. MGS1 came out and blew people away. MGS2 came out for the new PS2 system, and it was revolutionary in visuals and whatnot. And, since MGS3 is not "new" in the sense that it's the third entry on the same system, it lost a few points. Oh well. Not complaining - it's a great score.

16. Mace_Windoo

Mace_Windoo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Woohoo! Oh man I can't wait to play this. :D

17. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    I guess I just found enjoyment out of not getting the whole story the first time through.

I agree. I just wish I had that luxury these days. ;)

And 9.6? Sweet score. Can't wait for this one!

Did the same guy review all three MGS's? Maybe he considers Snake eater to be the best game of the series and would have rated the other two slighty lower... if, in fact, it wasn't the same guy. I think I'll go check out that review.

18. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    The game got an 8.7 over at gamespot. While that's far from a harsh review, it's slightly lower than what most people were expecting. Here's some of what they said:

At any rate, times have changed since Metal Gear Solid's last major outing, which is why some of the game's imperfections are harder to swallow today than they were in years past. Nevertheless, this is still a great achievement, one that fans of the series will love and vividly remember long after most of 2004's other games are forgotten.

Sounds good, plus, I'd agree that standards have indeed risen in the past few years.

19. SlackJawedJedi

SlackJawedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2004
    MGS 3 is coming out today in America-land, isn't it? And this poor little Aussie is waiting out in the cold for four more months. There's wolves out here.

Honestly, though, the release totally snuck up on me (oh, the irony!). You NTSC using lot had just better enjoy it enough that I pick up all the good vibes down here.

20. Ceethreepio

Mar 4, 2003
    I just got to say one thing...SNAKE EATER PWNS, I got it yesterday and it is hard but fun.

21. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    has anyone created a time paradox yet?

22. General-Jawa007

General-Jawa007 Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2004
    on g4techtv(the website) they annonced that there will be another mgs!!! i have beaten metal gear slolid, metal gear sons of liberty(and subtance) and the twin snakes. i don't get snake eater till christmas.

23. Ceethreepio

Mar 4, 2003
    That's true there will be another MGS game. it will be called Metal Gear Acid, and it will be for the PSP, it is mainly like what the Document of MGS2 is like but you can also play some games too.

24. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    It's a card game, from what I gather. Which is just... wrong.

25. Ceethreepio

Mar 4, 2003
    that's in there too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.