main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~~~The Snake Pit~~~ METAL GEAR SOLID Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Obi-HaCoR, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEDY

JEDY Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2005
    I love MGS and never saw this thread surprisingly .

Just today, I saw some vids on Guns Of The Patriots . The age development is great and can't wait to see how the new one plays .

2. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Let us dust off this thread, shall we?

4. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    9.9 at IGN UK.

IGN Australia's review is also up: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/879/879429p1.html

Relies less on hyperbole, and addresses many of the core criticisms (long cutscenes, overwritten dialogue), but still comes off glowing. Damn, this thing just looks stunning.

From what I'm reading all over the Internet:

A month's rent, or PS3 + MGS4? For many people out there, this is truly the most gut-wrenching internal crisis of their lifetimes.

5. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Yey for getting the game a day early. :D

6. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
  7. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    The guy at my local GameStop was telling me about a limited-edition strategy guide for MGS4 that was in hardcover for $30. I rarely use or buy strategy guides (unless the game in question happens to contain the words "Elder Scrolls" somewhere in the title)...but I'm a sucker for the special edition ones like the God of War 2 and the Final Fantasy XII guides that I got.

Although I once saw this one girl buy a hardcover Twilight Princess guide, mentioning to her boyfriend that she'd already bought the regular guide the previous day. Men should be allowed to hit women.

[image=http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2001/20010226h.jpg]

8. KYP_DURRON85

KYP_DURRON85 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2003
    So far I've played it about 12 hours. Pretty interesting and it has a little different feel to it. There are still some really long cutscenes, but I'm not complaining. The only time, while playing a Metal Gear Solid game, that I got an overdose of cutscenes was in MGS 2. In that game the last hour or so was mainly about long ass cutscenes and long and pretty confusing codec conversations.

So far everything seems well balance in MGS4. Not many big revelations has come my way... yet. Well here's me wishing for some MGS drama in my next long session of playing this game.

9. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I watched a video review of this on gamevideos.com. The cutscenes looks awesome. The gameplay looks like a crappy third-person shooter with not-so-subtle sexual undertones (rather than crawling on the ground, Snake decides to make love with it fully clothed).

And to think I used to want a PlayStation 3.

10. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    MGS4 10/10

The best game this year, anything else that comes out will not beat it. Period.

Kojima didn't just raise the bar with this game, he blasted it so far up we cant even see it any more.

11. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    [image=http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2008/20080613.jpg]

12. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Ok since I'm going to be unable to get a PS3 for a while could someone please PM me so I can be spoiled straight to hell.

13. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Are we allowed to write PMs that long?

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Sniper,

If you but type in MGS4 ending into Google you'll find all the details you could want easily.

As to the game....

Very, very smart. The PS3 is having to work hard with all it's being asked to do. It does a take a bit of time to adjust to the controls, the lack of a compass and the 2-D map are small flaws, but as you work out what you can do - the game gets good - I particularly like the OctoCamo and the ability to shoot while prone.

The other element is aiding the militias so they aid you: So as a firefight raged I slipped round the back, up a building, shot a couple of the enemy in the head; they radioed for help and brought in a tank. I jumped into a mortar position and blew the crap out of it - cue a 'thanks, owe you one' from the guys and later, as I go by them, there's a brief alert then 'oh, it's you'.

Only got through Act 1, but so far it's shaping up very well with a very smart story that posits a terrifying future based on existing trends.

JB

15. KYP_DURRON85

KYP_DURRON85 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2003
    Just beat the game last evening (Saturday) and I have to say that it pretty much tied all loose ends in a satisfying way.

I was even surprised couple of times. Seeing what happened to certain characters and certain characters that re-appeared. One 'background' (not even supporting) character from previous MGS games got a big role in this one... that and a happy ending.

This time I don't have anything to moan about regarding the long ending cinematics. I think they were well justified, since this might be the last chapter for many of the characters featured in MG/MGS series.

The next one... the next one they can start from a clean table. With new characters that don't have any history in MG/MGS universe. I hope so.

16. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I'm stupid JB to find the spoilers. :p

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Why do I doubt that, Sniper? ;)

Anyway, up to Raging Raven and the road to that boss fight was.....immensely irritating, as I'm going round town trailing some immensely dumb resistance guys. A word of explanation here: Other militias acknowledge the effect your actions have, help them and they help you, not this bunch! You can drop a guy who was about to kill them right in front of you and what do they do? Start shooting you. Had to shoot several of the ungrateful bastards in the head - er, what does it say that I'm crap at non-violent sections of vid games?

On the other hand, there's a great bike escape sequence that sees you under attack from Raging Ravens, soldiers, FROGS and more and I get to kill everyone - wonderful, just what I needed after the previous screwed up section.

JB

18. liambauckham

liambauckham Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2005
    i made a fan film that was loosely based on metal gear 3

here is a trailer

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fFlQl_OXN10

19. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
    http://binaryfractal.blogspot.com/2008/06/solid-snake-has-no-penis.html
    Apparently Snake doesn't have a penis. :p

20. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    The Xbox 360 port-rumors pick up even more speed.

[b]MGS4 on 360 Rumors Gain Ground
    A positive report comes out of Japan.
    by Erik Brudvig

October 14, 2008 -[/b] According to a Tokyo Game Show report from Japanese investment research firm Morningstar, [i]Metal Gear Solid 4[/i] may find its way to the Xbox 360 after all. Morningstar published a general article covering multiplatform trends that features a quote from a Konami public relations representative that should fuel rumors for months to come. The rep is quoted as saying, regarding MGS4, "We're actively looking into a release for the Xbox 360." While this isn't a confirmation of it coming, it does lend hope to those Xbox 360 owners who haven't plunked down money on a PS3.

However, this little quote doesn't clear the major hurdle [i]Metal Gear[/i] creator Hideo Kojima has listed for the title coming to Xbox 360. He has been quoted in several interviews saying a port was likely impossible due to the game being optimized for the PS3 hardware, specifically Blu-ray discs.

IGN has contacted Konami's US representatives for a comment, and is awaiting a response. The original Morningstar report can be found [link=http://www3.morningstar.co.jp/portal/RncNewsDetailAction.do?rncNo=24577]here[/link].[hr][/blockquote][/color]
    ...And tens of people were shocked by this. The whole false meme that the Xbox 360 supposedly "can't handle" the game has already gotten debunked elsewhere on several major sites, including IGN, so we'll see if anything more comes of this.

Considering the exact same thing was recently said about [i]Final Fantasy XIII[/i] and the 360 ([i]i.e.[/i], "It can't [b]handle[/b] it, 'cuz it was built for the PS3!!"), this rumor certainly has newfound credibility.

21. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I just beat Crying Wolf.

I have a feeling that this game is going to break my heart.

22. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    What makes you say that Soontir?

23. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    With Snake having become a living weapon of mass destruction, the death of EVA, the utter hopelessness of a world where war has come routine, Raiden being reduced to a shell of a man, fact that no matter what you do you seem just to be used by someone else, and the whole sense of finality and futility of the game doesn't leave the feeling of hope and happiness with me.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    unlock n bump by request.

(presumably, someone who bought the game at launch has finally gotten through the opening cinematics!)

25. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Ohh burn. :p Thanks Quest!

OK so I just bought Metal Gear Solid 4. As it got near perfect scores and it's now on the cheap, I thought why not.

I've heard a lot about this game so I kinda know what to expect, but I've never played a Metal Gear before and might get a little lost plot wise. Are there any good back story resources I should look up or anything I should know before I dive in?

My PS3 isn't backwards compatible so any previous games won't work for me. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.