main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~~~The Snake Pit~~~ METAL GEAR SOLID Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Obi-HaCoR, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    There's a Metal Gear wiki out there but IIRC, there are spoilers for MGS4 in the summaries for games like MGS3, so that's probably not the way to go :p I'd suggest playing MGS1-3 first if you want to enjoy the story in full. That might seem unreasonable but they're some of the best games ever, I really don't think you'll be disappointed.

That said, I think you'll still enjoy MGS4 even without the relevant backstory.

Anyway, if you want to try the wiki, start here and then scroll down and click on the next event in the "event chronology" (in this case, "Operation Snake Eater") and keep doing so, but stop before you get to "Liquid Sun." The only major spoiler I remember is the identity of Snake's mother, so you should get by alright with it. I hope they haven't changed it since then.

2. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Cool thanks. :D

3. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    The Metal Gear Wiki.

It sucks that you can't play the first three MGS games, but otherwise, if you were looking for a complete rundown of the series to date, I would've recommended picking up the Metal Gear Solid: Complete Collection on Amazon. It seems to play pretty well on the 60-gig models, but I don't know what particular one you personally own.

To me, Metal Gear Solid has always been about the experience more than anything. The only thing I really miss about the gameplay is the ability to shoot while in first-person (something the PC and GameCube versions had).

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty is the same as the Substance version. That said, MGS3 is only what was on the first disc of its Subsistence version. In other words, it won't have the original Japanese 8-bit Metal Gear or Metal Gear 2 along with whatever else was on the other disc of MGS3: Subsistence. But if you're trying to collect the series, I'd get it for Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, since it's kinda hard to find.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Eccentric, but brilliant. Probably the best boss-fights in gaming history. Jungle sniper-duel. And I'll never feel the same way about climbing a ladder ever again.

EDIT: ...And it looks like YodaKenobi beat me to the punch by just a couple of minutes. [face_mischief]

4. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Yeah I have the 80GB version, so no BC for me.

I heard something about MGS1 coming to PSN maybe? I guess I'll just have to play through 4 first and if I get really confused then look up the plot elements of the series, it's usually how I work with sagas that I arrive late to. :p

5. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    Before playing this game I had never played or even seen another MGS in motion before, and besides not knowing the main characters as well as someone who'd played the whole series, I never felt like I was lost or the story didnt make any sense.

I think Hideo knew that MGS4 would bring a lot of new players to the table and so the story is a little more forgiving on newbies to the series. :)

6. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    That's good to hear. Can't wait to get stuck into it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.