main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social The Social Party - Version 3

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by Morgaine, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    And what's that supposed to mean, Gunny? o_O :p

Sabine: I'm currently employed in a two-year contract with a relatively small subsidiary company. After one and a half years - so in one year from now - I will have to decide if I want to stay here long-term or switch over to one of the offices of the parent company; and if I want to continuing with software development or if I'd rather go into IT consulting. The latter is actually what I signed up for, but I know quite a few colleagues who decided to stay on the "tech-y" side of things after their first two years were up, and I can certainly see the appeal of that, too... well, let's just say I'm glad I don't need to make that decision quite yet. :D

Hmm, I suppose it's worth a try. ;) Are you fed up with your own chosen career path already, though? [face_thinking]

2. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Aye, I see. But I guess it's possible to switch to the consulting side later on as well, right? For me it would be about what that consulting would content (does one say that this way? :confused:). If it's being at a hotline non-company people calling you when having problems, then it wouldn't be the job I would love to do. Explaining people what they need in their company or how that software works would be interesting on the other hand. :)

No, not fed up. But why not looking for a second job. Soon I should have some extra free-time that wants to get used useful. ;)

3. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    (I think you meant to say "contain", not "content". :))

Yes, I suppose it would still be possible to switch later... and the question "what exactly is it that a consultant does all day, anyway?" is one that I'd like to see answered, too. :p It's most definitely not customer support on some phone hotline, though! :D It's more about consulting one single company on how to best run their IT department... not talking to end-users, but to those people in charge of IT. I'm just never quite sure how people can do that every day, for years... how much can there be to advise, really? What does a consultant do all day long?? I suppose it's also about co-ordinating the work of the developers and such, but still, I'm glad I still have some time to figure that out and maybe do some training courses on the subject. ;)

Well, I for one am quite busy enough with just one job. I like having some spare time, too. If you feel you have the time to take on a second job, maybe I'm the one in the wrong position after all? [face_laugh]

4. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I actually work as a consultant. But for me it means that I'm sent out to different companies to work with a project or just help out if they're in a desperate need of a web developer :p. The assignments can be anything from just a few hours to several years. I like it so far, maybe because I'm on a long term assignment right now. I'm not sure how I would like it if I had to change company every other week.

5. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Yeah, I wouldn't like that either... having to change projects so often, I mean. Our assignments usually last some years, from what I can tell - I think it's much better that way, since it takes a while to really learn all you need to know about a project (our projects tend to be pretty big). I'd hate having to start all over again now that I finally feel at home in the team. And I think it's better for the project too when there isn't too much fluctuation.

Oh, I didn't actually know you did web development. (Or maybe I forgot? [face_blush]) What technologies/languages are you working with?

6. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Love that CVI is going to be in Orlando again, and I'm thinking of going this time. Bowling's giving me additional incentive...I have a friend on my favorite bowling forum site who lives an hour away and I'd like to get together with him for a few games. :)

7. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I mostly work with HTML/CSS and jQuery, but also PHP and to some extent Java.

I'm hoping to go to CVI this time. I've never been to a Celebration (except for Celebration Europe), so it's about time I went :)

8. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Celebration Europe was the only Celebration I was at as well and I don't think I'll make it to Orlando. Too many other things in my life are going to happen this year and I guess it'll be at a time when I simply can't go. So I'll watch it from infront of the computer again. ;)

Btw, different topic...

Right now I wonder how it is possible to reduce the download amount while going online. It's not that I'm downloading movies or anything, I guess it's just all the stupid spam I get. Does anyone know a solution how I can stop downloading that spam? I think I remember something what a person told me, but before I start testing, I hope you can give me some feedback/suggestions. :)

9. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Celebration VI is going to be in August 2012, right? Still a bit too far off for me to make any plans... I've never actually been to any convention. I missed Celebration Europe because I wasn't active in fandom at that time, but I think I would enjoy the opportunity to meet so many people from here in real life... :) And Orlando wouldn't really be a problem for me, since I get really cheap plane tickets through work. (Did I mention I love my job? :p) So no "sign me up" quite yet, but will definitely keep an eye out for that one.

Lexi: Now that I think about it, I believe I did ask you about that before... but I had completely forgotten that was you. [face_blush]

I see myself primarily as a Java programmer, the application I'm working on is a Java EE monster (has been running for almost ten years already and dozens of developers have had a hand in it over time... you can imagine the mess ;)), it has a web interface too, but we're using JSF for that (and JSP in some older areas that still need to be updated). But occasionally I still find myself needing JavaScript, HTML and CSS too, and lately I've been doing quite a bit of SQL too... not quite what I was expected when I applied as a Java developer, but I do enjoy the variety.

Skiara: Goodness, how much spam do you get?? Or rather, what kind of spam? The ones I get are usually just a few K... you'd have receive a massive amount for that to really affect your download traffic. What E-Mail program are you using, is there maybe an option to download the text of the mails without any attachments? (I read that you didn't want to use the automatic filter.)

There are programs that let you monitor your upload/download rate, too, might be interesting for you to figure out how much you're really downloading at any given time?

10. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Now that you say it... I get only 18 spam-emails per day, that shouldn't cause that problem. But since I'm using such a program you suggested, I downloaded 9GB sind end of May. Too much in my view... since I don't really watch movies online - and even if I put those (movie-clips watching) days out of the statistic, I usually download about 500MB per day with emails, JC and maybe some other informational stuff/Website browsing... And I do use two programs already - double checking.

So I thought it were big spam-emails, but to get such a amount, it must be more. You're right about that. Thanks. :)

So there must be another reason...

11. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    *waves hand at Julia, Sabine, and Lexi*

You want to go to CVI in Orlando.

:D

Yeah, I'm going again. I've already started saving. [face_whistling] I'll be driving down with my friends again. Another epic road trip!

12. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    So our jobs sort of intersect, Julia, although it sounds like you deal with the backend whilst I take care of the frontend :)

One big reason why I want to go to CVI is to meet a lot of people from here. It would be so nice to set a real face to all the names and avatars :D

13. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    That would be the main reason for me as well. If not the only reason, since I didn't get really convinced by CE. I still prefer the Jedi-Con. :)

14. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Yeah, I'm not really all that interested in the actual convention either. Certainly wouldn't travel all the way to Florida for that! But meeting JC people... that's always great. :D

Lexi: Yup, sounds like it! Small world, huh? ;)

Hi there, Cindy! :) Road trip sound fun, but kinda hard to do for us. :p And boat trip would take way too long!

Sabine: Hmm, 500MB per day does sound quite a bit, but then again I don't have the slightest idea how much I'm downloading per day - should check that on occasion! I assume you're not doing lots of VoIP (Skype calls etc.) or listen to on-line radio all day or anything like that?

15. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I knew I forgot something when I posted above. [face_blush]

Hi Cindy! Nice to see you again! [:D]

Skype not really, I just did tested it one day, but I should keep an eye on the radio thingy. I use it, but I don't think that much, since it doesn't work as well as it did some months ago. But it's worth to keep an eye on that! (Damn, how much do I overlook. :oops: So, if you can come up with other 'usual stuff' people forget... I might have forgotten it as well. [face_blush] )

16. JarJarJedi

Feb 6, 2001
    Hi guys. [:D] I've been a little anti-social lately, been doing other things (like working for a change. :p)

I've got Skype! Same name as it is on here. Shouldn't be hard to find me. I can also use it on my iPod so I have a "webcam". :)

17. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I'll add you when I use my laptop the next time - only there Skype is installed. :)

18. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Ohh, I've got Skype too! :D julia_morgaine is my username, not very surprising I guess. ;) (Why is there no line for a Skype ID on the profile page, anyway??) I've got a second account that I use at work, but if I start adding people from the JC to that one, I'll never get any work done. :p I tend to forget to turn on my Skype at home though, so you might have to tell me to log on when you see me here. ;)

19. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I have Skype as well. I'm not online that often, though, but sometimes :) My user name is jen_and

20. JarJarJedi

Feb 6, 2001
    Julia, I can understand about the not getting work done. Is your work Skype really close to the one that you use at home? I searched using the "_", and I also found your name with a "-", and that one lists as being in Hamburg. I'm so confused! :_|. (Didn't you used to live in Hamburg?)

Lexi, I added you. Maybe we could all have a group chat sometimes.

I'm not on Skype much either, so if anyone wants to talk to me, tell me and I can get on. ;)

Yep, it's almost 3:30am here and I'm still awake. I gotta get to bed earlier! :rolleyes:

21. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Same here. I'm not used to Skype and so I'm rarely online, but that might change when I'll leave Germany for a few weeks. But afterwards I think you need to send me a PM/email as well. ;)

22. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Does anyone has another idea: No skype, no movies, no radio and still 300-400MB per day.

I'm leaving Germany for a bit more than a month and I'm thinking about taking one of these web-sticks for that time, but those are limited to 5GB (best offer) and then they cut down the speed of the internet connection. :(

23. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Alright, I've added you two. Would love to do a group chat one of these days! :D

Skiara: I'm all out of ideas right now, but I'll check on my own traffic next week for comparison. :)

24. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    That would be cool, Julia. :) I really have no idea... Now I'm also using a gadget and it tells me that I'm downloading 0.033MB/s / 33.77kB/s (ok, it various, so it's the average - more or less).

25. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    I'm at my parents' for the weekend, but once I'm back at my own computer, I'll install something. :) Any tools you'd recommend?

Oh, and I forgot to say yesterday: julia-morgaine with a minus is not me! I'm actually not far from Hamburg, but I never lived in the city. Fascinating! I had no idea that account existed. I'm almost tempted to contact that person to find out who's using the same name. :D