main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social The Social Party - Version 3

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by Morgaine, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Julia, I really appreciate your help and that you wanted to do a test at your computer, so we could compare, but I think I found the reason. I really had all programs shut down, but one of those programs still worked in the background and I had to look for "Dienste" (tasks) in my start menue to find it. Luckily I could shut it down and the download went down from about 33kB/s to 0B/s or 208B/s. That's a lot more what I expect when everything is shut down and no program should download anything. And guess what? You were right with your assumption as well, Julia! It was the radio program. I never knew that it still worked even when I stopped it working (it was usually placed at the right side of the taskbar).

So, thanks a lot to you as well, Julia! [:D]

But in case you like to check nevertheless, I can recommend NetSpeedMonitor or NetWorx or the Gadget Network Meter, which was the one that I could use the best while shutting down one program after another and one task after another.

Julia, if you want to use these programs, I'll be cool, if you tell me what your download rate says - just to compare or to figure out that 208B/s is still too much. :)

(Just in case anyone starts thinking that this was all my idea. WhiteHorse gave me the hint of shutting down tasks. So, sorry, I'm not that smart. ;) )

I'll add you three later on this week. Just not having the time to start my laptop, but I will later on this week. :)

2. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I'm glad you figured out the problem :). I think I'm gonna try one of those programs myself on my computer.

3. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    No real reason for this post except to "show off" the icon...changed it in hopes that that will change my hockey team's luck in Vancouver for Game 7...GO BRUINS! :D

4. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Nice icon there! :D

NetSpeedMonitor and the Gadget are the best. NetSpeedMonitor saves everything, so you can look up your download/upload amount weeks later - as well as showing your current up/download. And the Gadget monitors everything (IP, speed, total amount and some more 'goodies') as it is at that moment.

I'm glad as well, now my statistic is like I wanted it. :D

5. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    Hmm, I definitely would expect a radio program to stop downloading when I stop the playback - sounds like a bug! Glad to hear you found the problem, though. :)

I'm not really online enough this week to give you any realistic numbers, but I'll keep those links you posted in mind and try them out when I have a bit more time. I'll get back to you with the results when I have some!

Worked for me... :D I don't think the Mavs lost a single game after I finally found this icon! ;)

6. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I've added you all to my skype account as well yesterday. :)

That would be cool, Julia. :)

Now I have another problem: My outlook does weird things with my emails. Most emails arrive as they should. Some emails with a weird letter-symbol-number-chaos including no sender-adress, no send-to-email and no title. I have a copy left at my email server account. So I can look them up there as well. Those "chaos" emails doesn't exist there - like they never arrived at my account. But they do show up in my outlook folder. Wierd, isn't it? And more... Emails with PDF files are readable, but the pdf is broken, although I know they are working when the sender did send them, so I can't open them. And I (again) have no idea what causes that. :( If there's someone out there who knows about this weird behaviour, I would be happy to learn to get rid of it.

Btw, that icon you wear, Julia, is one of my favorites of the NBA season. :)

7. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Looks like it worked - congrats to you and your team, Wildstar!! [face_dancing]

Sabine: Isn't it pretty? :D A horse and a nice blue color - what more could you ask for. ;)

Your Outlook really does sound weird. :p So what you're saying is that Outlook "receives" messages that don't actually exist? I don't think I've heard of that problem before... I'll have to do some research I think. [face_thinking]

8. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    That's the new logo for the Mavs. It used to be a lot more . . . retro.

9. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    TY Morgaine...and thank you for shutting LeBron up, while I'm at it. =D=

10. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Yeah, it is weird and I have no idea how that happened. It seems that it is simply "schrott", so I think I'll re-install it next week, but first I have to find out how to uninstall it completely (just through "system -> software" doens't work - I've tried that already). :(

It seems that electronical stuff just don't like me. :_|

11. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Where's everyone? :)

12. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Usually lurking here, Skiara :)

13. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Lurking is overrated! :p
    Posting is what is needed. ;) Let's post more! :D

14. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Well, you go right ahead and post something we can reply to. ;) It's way too quiet around here.

My icon is gone! :_|

15. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    No problem...

Why did your icon vanish? :confused:

Oh, and shall I start speaking about horses? [face_devil]

16. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Well, the NBA icons were only up for the duration of the playoffs. I got to enjoy mine a little longer since Dallas won the championship, but it was clear that it would only be available for a limited time after the season had ended.

Now I need to decide what to use next... I hate doing that. :p Any suggestions?

Yes, you should, actually. :D You know I like them too. ;)

17. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Stupid seasoned icons. :p I liked it. The horse was nice and it was combined with another nice sports. :D

I haven't taken a look at icons for ages. Maybe I should check that one more often. Maybe the new members have a better knowledge about up-to-date icons. If you like, you can post a link to this thread in WNU. ;) :)

Horses... I had a nice ride yesterday. Normally it's a really cool horse, but yesterday I did ride an horse-y film star or at least one that pretends to be one, since he played the role of a wild horse. If it wouldn't be bad behaviour, I would have laughed the whole time. It's just funny to see the horse acting as someone different. [face_laugh] :D

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Just dropping by briefly for my ten year anniversary on the boards. I haven't had much time to be online like I used to, but I was able to make time for this.

19. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Matt?! :eek: That has been a long time since we have seen last. Where have you been? Busy with RL, I guess. Wow...

Great that you could make it here! Hopefully you'll have a bit more time from now on - like one post per week or so. :)

20. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Dude, Matt has totally reminded me! TEN YEARS SINCE I JOINED THE JC?!?!?!?!?!?!

Oh. MY. GAWD.

How has it been a DECADE?!

BRB, freaking out now.

(except hi everyone!)

21. Jedi_Laura_Kenobi

Jedi_Laura_Kenobi Jedi Master star 5

Jul 23, 2001
    Oh my gosh, hi everyone! I love all of the 10-year nostalgia... I miss you guys! [:D]

My actual 10-year anniversary isn't until later in the month, but I'm with Ginger_Jedi in real life at the moment (WHOO!), and we always talk about the JC when we're together, so...

How are all of you? :D

22. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Wow, 10 years! That really deserves some cake to celebrate. I've not even been here for nine years, but maybe I can have some cake anyway? :)

23. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Wow! Ten years! :D

And the anniversary even make you coming back - that's the coolest effect of all! [:D]

Lexi, remember, it's just a bit over a year and we have ten years completed as well. ;) :D

24. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    It'll be a long time until I've been on here ten years. :p

25. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    It'll be there sooner than you think. ;)