main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social The Social Party - Version 3

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by Morgaine, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    Nah, this thread is impossible to kill...

2. Vesper2112

Vesper2112 FF President & CR, Chattanooga, TN star 4

Nov 14, 2003
    But it can sleep from time to time...

3. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    It idolizes Rip Van Winkle and Sleeping Beauty. :p

4. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    My turn...

5. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Your turn!

6. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
  7. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    How come no one here is talking about the World Cup, anyway?? You're not all US Americans, are you? :p

8. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    Not all of us Americans hate soccer/football. I've been watching some of the games. I watched the US team finally beat Ghana. Saw an idiot get red carded in the Cameroon vs Croatia game yesterday . :p Now I have the Japan vs Greece game on.

9. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    EDIT: I love it when the boards glitch and make me double post the same thing.

10. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    It just wants to support your point of view. :p

I saw a bit of the world cup, but not much yet... It might change soon... ;)

Darth Gangrenous likes this.
  11. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Gangrenous: I know. :) But it does get a lot less coverage there than pretty much everywhere else.

The World Cup is just one of these events that everyone here seems to talk about, even if they don't care for football/soccer at all the rest of the time. We've got people from all over the world in my office, so it's particularly interesting. Our two Spanish guys received a lot of commiseration and even some condolatory hugs the other day. ;)

Germany's first game went a lot better than I had expected, it'll be interesting to see if they can keep it up.

12. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    That's true Morgaine but it is growing in popularity though. Maybe someday will catch up with the rest of the world in our love of the game and start doing the chanting/singing and such. :p

13. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Yep, lots of people are talking about it and if one organizes a meeting, they check the World Cup time table first.

It went so well that I started to get interested a lot earlier than usual. Plus, the other tv program helps to choose watching soccer. :p

When does the interest come up in the USA, Frank? Never or when your team made it to the half finals or so?

14. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Oh, no! Now, I wrote quite some text and it didn't went through. Argh. :(

Short version:

Germany played very well and the other tv program helps to decide to watch soccer even for non soccer fans.

Frank, when do the interest in soccer rise usually? When the half finals are ahead? That's when I usually start watching it.

Oh, and when someone plans a meeting during World Cup they check that timetable first. ;)

Edit: ...and now, the boards tricked me. My post went through earlier. [face_plain]

15. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Now that's an interesting 'double post'. :D

True, you never find anything interesting on TV while there's an important match on. And most people will make very sure not to accept any appointments for that time.

Two years ago during the European Championship, I had a colleague who actually took the whole time off from work so he could watch every. single. game. Personally, I think that's a slight overkill. :p

And now I should go and watch Germany's game so I can keep up with the discussions on Monday. ;)

16. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Some people's hobby I can't understand as well. ;) I just would get worried, if one starts to break up social contacts. But that won't happen, if its about soccer. There are too many addicted ones. :p

Germany is losing... :(

17. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    We have professional soccer teams here with more coming into existence seemingly each year, Sabine. But it does seem more watch during the World Cup, FIFA European Tournament and the Olympics.

Might lose electricity. Severe storms here.

18. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Somehow it's cool to here, but I hope that it won't be as important as here. Here it seems that sports is equal to soccer. Or almost. If you read the sport pages of a paper, it's really dominated by soccer. It'd be nice to see other sports a loti more in there as well.

19. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    What other sports? Hockey? Baseball? Basketball? Cricket? Pod racing?

How about American football or NASCAR? :p

20. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Whatever they find - preferably horse riding of course. :p

NASCAR is really unimportant here. Not even sure if I think about the correct one.

Btw formula one is what they add sometimes when there's too less to write about soccer. :p

21. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    I don't care for NASCAR but it's really popular here. Formula 1 racing, however, isn't very popular on this side of the "pond". Unless it's the horse races for people to bet on, the papers here don't cover horse riding. :p Sometime rodeo is covered though.

22. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Never seen rodeo in the newspaper. Would be fun to see, since I'm not even sure, if we actually have rodea in Germany... I'd bet it isn't be allowed for the horses sake (good thing). @Morgain, do you know anything about this?

How about ice hockey? That's in there during winter time.

23. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    Ice hockey is really popular over here, at least in the northern and central portions of the country. There are even a few teams in the southern part of the country where ice almost never exists outside(Florida, Arizona, Los Angeles(the last two in the desert part of the country)). :p It's even discussed during the off season(trades, injury updates, hall of fame inductions, etc...)

24. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    A double post! [face_party] Haven't had one of those in a while...

25. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    What the hell, I know I clicked twice, but where is the third post coming from??

And now my original post is gone. This is messed up. :p

What did I write?? :p Let's see if I can reconstruct it or if the boards will eat my post again...

I haven't seen any Rodeo here. I did a quick search and found a music festival with that name and several sites from animal rights activists, so I guess you could say the 'sport' is rather unpopular here.

Equitation doesn't really get much coverage at all here, though - even though the region I live in is actually famous for its horses! It's really mostly football with a bit of Formula 1 and a few less popular sports like Tennis mixed in. Most sports only get coverage when there's a special event going on - like American Football, which only seems to exist at the time of the Super Bowl.

So, next game is Germany vs. USA. Your predictions? :D

Whatever happened to the edit counter anyway, this post must have an impressive number by now. :p

26. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    As much as I hate to say it, the best the USA team can realistically hope for is a draw.

What about darts and billiards? :p