main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

General ~*~*The Social Thread-Asia/Africa edition-All are welcome*~*~

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by Jedi_Humaira_Blaine, Aug 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Dessert food is ideal ... but I never get away with that, for obvious reasons. :p

EDIT - Seriously though, over here, if we eat local style it's white rice and stuff that go with it. I don't say Chinese style because Malaysia is a real melting pot of cultures and everyone eats everything. :p I mean, sure, there are Chinese restaurants and stuff, but at home, we just eat what we want.

2. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    I wouldn't assume anything it all depends on the individual families I think. I mean like what's typical English food? :p

Most Americans think we sit around drinking tea and eating scones all day .....well can't remember last time I had tea and as for scones probably a few years ago now :p

3. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    LOL, I know. It's kinda weird that over here you can get 'English' and 'American' food, even though there's really no such thing anymore. :p

Still ... tea and scones = mmm. :D

4. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    I dunno I've never yet seen an American do a fry up, although I can't stand them. My mother loves them and constantly tries to make me eat them which is strange as she tells me every other day how fat I am....parents bah! :p

I prefer Chinese and Indian meals but my mum and uncle wont eat anything thats not English. So I am left to do dinners like that by myself.

lol I mainly only have tea and scones if I go out of London into the country to small cafes, they are nice there ;)

5. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Heh, yeah, that's a real contradiction.

Strangely enough, I don't particularly like Chinese food ... probably because I eat it every day and the novelty has worn off. :p

What they call "American food" here's mostly burgers and coney dogs, that sort of thing ... and the last time my cousin from NY came over here, she said that she'd never eaten coney dogs before coming to KL. :p

6. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    lol we have way too much American food here, shame they dont give me oreo cookies though :p

errm what are coney dogs ? I've never heard of that before

7. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    [face_mischief]

Talking about food? ;)

Well I love Indian food...all the naans and curries. And Italian food...pasta, pizza...I love cheese. [face_love]

Sri Lankan food is basically rice and curry. I think different ethnic groups also have curries that have been developed by them, but everyone cooks everything so..they have more or less merged. :)

Hmm, yummy topic, I must say. 8-}

8. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Pash you sure we aren't sisters? :p

I love curries, unfortunatly since being sick my stomach can't handle spices too well so I have to work it back up again.

9. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    I like curry too ... but only the ones that are not too spicy. :p Yes, I know, I'm a big baby ... so what? :p

A coney dog is basically a normal hot dog but with mincemeat sauce on it instead of ketchup or whatever else you put on it. Sometimes topped with cheese.

mmm ...

EDIT - What edit? I don't see an edit.

;)

10. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    I'm a big baby too Xan, I don't like things too spicy either. And what's more shocking is that I've never had a Curry before :eek:
    I'm a fussy eater and enjoy the simple stuff ;)

I've recently started to enjoy my chinese a lot recently, I'm particular fond of duck with five spice source (think that's right), but that's about as exotic as I get :p

Yay, Matt has chosen wisely!

Was that refering to Keira or my books...or both ;)
    I love my books too, not just for reading but for images too. The horse book I got has some lovely paintings init that inspire me to no end :D

I shall make you sick now pash, season 3 of Smallville has started here and it's great. I really hope you get to catch up with season 2 soon, you'll love it :)

11. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Jean, we could be long-distance cousins or something. I guess lots of Europeans are getting used to the hot curries these days...what with so many take away places and so many Indian people and even Sri Lankan people over there. :)

Don't worry Xan...a lot of people aren't used to very spicy food. I guess we get really used to it here. But sometimes even we rush for the water. That's when you know that someone overdid it with the "hot stuff".! 8-}

Oh, Matt I was refering to your choosing Kiera over Natalie.

I shall make you sick now pash, season 3 of Smallville has started here and it's great.

[face_shocked] [face_shocked]

Torture you, I shall! [face_devil]

8-}

Smallville *sighs* Darn it...why can't we get season 2 over here? But that's the way it is sometimes, Matt. They show one season and that's it. Some channels show us all the seasons of a show...not all. I guess purchasing the season isn't cheap. :(

12. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Here they sometimes do something like that, too ... at least, they show the seasons, but for some reason they drop at least an episode, so the flow of it is off. [face_plain]

And the censorship here sucks. They censor everything.

I still can't believe they banned great movies like Underworld (which I saw anyway, but that's beside the point).

13. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    I know what you mean Xan...occasionally they get an episode mixed up. :(

Censorship...here some channels censor a kiss...heh, what's funny is only the picture goes into "checker board mode"!
    We can still hear...that's hilarious! [face_laugh] I can understand censoring scenes that aren't suitable for young children because nowadays kids stay up a bit late and watch TV.

Edit:- Why stop Underworld? Violence, is it? :confused:

14. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    That sucks for both of you :(
    We're lucky I guess, our censors aren't too bad really, although depends on what time the show is on, but Smallville is on at 9:00pm so they can get away with anything pretty much, which is just aswell because that show can be really violent and shocking at times.

Banning Underworld :eek:
    Films rarely get banned here, and the only ones to my knowledge are A Clockwork Orange which the director banned in the UK himself due to death threats, and some other, low budget horror films which aren't that good anyway. But since the BBFC went through a change some years ago, all previous banned films got released.

I really wish I could help you out with getting season 2 and 3 pash. It's so unfair for you :(

'Oh, Matt I was refering to your choosing Kiera over Natalie.'

Argh, thought so ;)
    I think I've made the right choice too, plus Keira is English which helps my cause more [face_mischief]

'Torture you, I shall!'

[face_laugh] Not quite the reaction I expected ;)
    I'll make a promise not to talk about it too much, but Lana's looking as sweet as always, and I'm sure you'd say the same about Tom.

15. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Hay Matt, I was hoping you'd stop by. :)

Not quite the reaction I expected

That was my DL response! [face_laugh] Relax...I'm an easy going girlie! [face_laugh]

Heheh, surprised you a bit, eh? ;)

Lana is so pretty :) ...is she a mix of sorts? She strikes me as being an Asian mix...something like that. Something about her face...the eyes. :cool:

Tom... [face_mischief] ...well, now... ;)

Maybe the seasons will show up here on DVD...never know. :D

16. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Hi ya Pash :D
    well someone's got to look after you while Jeannette is on holiday ;)

'Heheh, surprised you a bit, eh?'

lol, as you said yourself, you are a dark lady [face_devil]
    And don't worry, I know you're harmless really, except when Orli is around perhaps [face_mischief]

You're spot on Pash about Lana. I think one of her parents is Chinese and the other is Scandinavian (Possibly Danish but that's a guess). Her eyes are the most striking thing about her really, and that's down to her being mixed. Now picking between Lana and Kiera would be very difficult indeed [face_laugh]

Oh, and you get to see Tom with his shirt off many times in Season three ;)
    **Prepares for Pash to shout-out-loud**

OK, I've gotta go now. I'm very busy with some work and shall be off to see RotK again later.
    Take care :D

17. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Yay for me! [face_laugh] I have a babysitter! ;) Jean should find this amusing.
    But it's good to have company. :D

Oh you're off in a bit? Take care...and you will have some stuff to answer when you get back. [face_mischief]

I'm having the last piece of my mum's Christmas cake with my tea here...and hoping my PC does not act up again. It's been playing up. :( Needs a check up.

I know you're harmless really, except when Orli is around perhaps

[face_mischief]

Lego's voice:- A red sun rises...blood has been spilt this night...

Got that right, pretty boy...now Jean's away...heheh, the mice will play. [face_devil]

**Prepares for Pash to shout-out-loud**

*gulps* 8-}

No shout...just shock I guess...actually, he's lovely the way he is in season 1...the guy looks a lot younger than he is. Really amazing. These Hollywood guys don't age. [face_shocked] Well, lots of them. :cool:

Aaah, I guessed right? That's cool...she's really lovely. My goodness. In season one the final episode was such a cliffhanger.

Begining of season 1...does Clark date Chloe? Yep, spoiler for me..I know. ;)

18. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Don't be too sure on that Pash ;)

19. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Force, Blaine, you really maximize your posts ... :p

As for Underworld: yes, I think so. It's nothing too bad, actually - there's quite a lot of shooting, but there's nothing graphic.

The weird thing is, Underworld and Daredevil got the axe, but they let Bruce Almighty through - and this is supposed to be an Islamic country. [face_plain]

20. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    [face_laugh] You're older then me Pash so technically you're babysitting me! ;)

Hope you enjoyed your Christmas cake and that your PC isn't being too much trouble for you :)
    Give it a good kick and it might sort itself out ;)

Got that right, pretty boy...now Jean's away...heheh, the mice will play.

[face_laugh] That's really funny Pash. I'm sure your master will be very proud with your way with words there [face_devil]
    Just be gentle with him so there's something for J to come back too ;)

Begining of season 1...does Clark date Chloe? Yep, spoiler for me..I know.

Did you mean the beginning of Season 2?? If so then the answer is no. If I can recall, the very brief relationship between Clark and Chloe pretty much ended during that final season 1 episode, but the consequencies of it all play big parts through-out season 2. I'm not really into romantic stories, but I love the way they play it in Smallville and it is one of its strengths :D

Oh, saw a trailer for a film with Tom Welling init yesterday. It's called Cheaper by the Dozen and is a comedy. I doubt I'll see it but thought you'd like to know ;)

That is pretty strange Xan, doesn't make much sense really.
    I saw Underworld and apart from a few bits, I agree it's nothing too shocking. Never did get to see Dare Devil though and have no desire too. I can't stand Ben Affleck :p

21. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    No, it doesn't ... well, they did rate Bruce Almighty 18+ (which is the equivalent of R, 'cept you can't watch it in the cinema if you're under 18, parent's permission or no). I don't really want to watch Daredevil (I have no idea what it's based on and don't care for comics :p) ... but it's the principle of things. :p

Smallville? Hehe, my best friend IRL would love to talk about that series ... she's still heckling me to watch it. :p

and technically, you're all babysitting me. ;) :p

22. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    I am sure Pash would leave me something otherwise I will take her blondie bear ;)

(Yes this is Amber [face_devil] )

23. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    [face_shocked]

Speak of the devil! [face_laugh] Jean, you've got to stop sneaking up on me! 8-} So, Mike's the friend you're staying with? :D Ahh, got it now.

Blondie bear? [face_shocked] *gulp* Don't worry...we stick to the plan. [face_mischief]

How's the vacation going babes? Having fun?

*hugs from me* [face_love]

Force, Blaine, you really maximize your posts ...

I'm the mile-a-minute DL...heh, guess my skill extends all the way to my posting habits too, Xan! 8-}

Funny, movies come in all forms. And what needs to be censored is not always sci-fi violence. :confused:

And I saw a bit of daredevil and got bored...can you believe that? [face_shocked]

Give it a good kick and it might sort itself out

Hmm, Matt I thought that only works for washing machines. ;) Actually, it just jams...its wierd. :(

Hmm, Clark and Chloe did not date? Okay...there was something there...but with the way he feels about Lana...Chloe didn't really stand a chance in season 1...there was a particulary interesting episode, I noticed. I saw a preview of the one whern Clark acts like a bad boy. [face_devil]

I shall remember to wear my red Krptonite necklace when I meet him next. 8-} Cheaper by the Dozen...yep, heard of it and my cousin has watched it. I must try and get it from the video store...yep, bootleg stuff I guess. :( Hope the copy is good though.

Oooh, guess what I saw at my video store yesterday? Smallville season 1 on DVD. That means it's probably available here! :D

*bounces around*

Okay I'll stop that now. 8-}

Just be gentle with him so there's something for J to come back too

Of course I'll be gentle...

My preciousssssss!

[face_laugh]

No, there's no sugar in my tea! Honest! ;)

24. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    Hello everyone, I have never posted here before but since you all know Jeannette I thought that I would
    say hello to you all. Jeannette stayed with me for a
    few days and it was so nice to finally meet her. She is an amazing young lady :)

25. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    lol are you sure on the sugar Pash? :p

Pash staying with some other friends but been harrassing Mike for the past few days ;)

[face_blush]
    Aww dad that's so sweet :D
    Speak of the devil Mike, did you get home ok? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.