main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NSWRPF Archive The Social Thread at the end of the Galaxy!

Discussion in 'Non-Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by PRENNTACULAR, Jan 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    What I don't get is why Naruto and BLEACH are more popular in the US despite being nowhere nearly as awesome as One Piece.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm not sure, I'm not particularly fond of most of the stuff that comes out of Jump at the moment, with the exception of Rosario + Vampire. Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo's great, but that ended last year in Japan. Lately, I've been getting more into stuff that Kodansha's magazines put out.

3. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Read the book!

4. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Well the manga of Naruto is good, the anime isn't always especially with the stupid fillers. Shippuuden is better though. I am just getting into Bleach so far I like it. One piece I haven't read yet. I did see the first episode of the anime. It was not impressive. I need to see more before I make up mind on if it's good.

5. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    Bebop > FMA > Death Note

As to the ones above,

One Piece = Naruto > Dirt and Ass > Bleach

Bleach and Overpowered characters is an understatement. Basically its like "My sword's bigger than yours=BETTER THAN EVERYONE AUTOMATICALLY!!!"

-B-

6. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I've never seen an episode of any Anime in my life.

7. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    You are not human.

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm more partial to manga than anime, myself. Anyone here besides me read anything by Osamu Tezuka?

9. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Action lines make me nauseous.

10. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    Manga is always better than anime. I do enjoy both. Elfen Lied, Death Note and Ninja Scrolls anime are awesome.

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I haven't seen the Elfen Lied anime, but the manga had this delightful hodgepodge of multiple genres that I'm assuming carried over into the anime. Nyu?

12. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    Well I didn't read Elfen Lied the manga but I think it does. Nyu!

13. TheManinBlack

TheManinBlack Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2007
    Want a reason?

Take account of the fact that Japan hass a very unfree culture despite being free in name, and the thing is, they actually want the chains of social status and confinements off them. So Free Pirates who don't have to worry about if their tie is going to stick out in the office is cool and appealing to them. Pirates and Rebels without a Cause are nothing new here, as that is what as Amercians we assocaite with the American Dream. Ninjas and Gods of Death on the other hand, are still new and exotic to us. It doesn't matter to us, if their actually good (like BLEACH isn't) we want something new. Add in the fact that despite One Piece rocking so hard, the fact 4Kids Dubbed it. Add in what is an extoic art style over there, in a place where the Animation Age Ghetto is gone, to a place where the war is still going on wheter Cartoons are just for kids and something that invokes the feeling of Loony Tunes a little bit.

Then you have your reason.

In this rare case, the Anime is better. Check it out

14. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    MIB...tagged ya in Dune...:p

Don't mean to nag, but I'm pumped about this game.

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I totally agree with ya', Peng. It's been literally over a month at this point and I'm still as insanely excited as I was to begin with.

16. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I know! I'm addicted...it's like crack...or spice...

17. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    *wants a Batman RPG really bad*

18. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Naruto and Bleach FTW. Completely. One hundred percent. No question 'bout it. :cool:

19. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
  20. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    Well, you're working off the first episode of the anime, which is the second chapter of the manga, with the chapter that served as the introduction not being broadcast until the 4th episode of the anime. Anyways, One Piece is a series that starts somewhat slowly, but for the most part each arc is even more awesome than the previous one. The quality also seems to rise with the number of members of the crew, which are unique and entertaining and play off each other rather well. I especially love the amazing amount of planning and world-building that Oda does, with a huge variety of different environments and its own logic which provides for a great deal of awesome things. He may mention a character at one point and then have that character be of importance or reappear down the line. It manages to alternate between humor, awesomeness, and tear-jerker. It's incredibly enjoyable, and hasn't let me down recently the way Naruto and Bleach do (which both seem to suffer from terrible pacing regarding characters I don't particularly care about).

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    "Simultaneously sexy and deformed." Yeah, pretty much sums it up.

The sandworms? Really? Shai-hulud's cool and all but... Really?

Granted, I'm a Liet-Kynes fan m'self.

22. TheManinBlack

Aug 1, 2007
    Making a post now!!!!

23. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    (Obligatory late comment) The only anime/manga (confesses ignorance of where the boundaries are) I've seen really comes down to these:

* Battle of the Planets (G-Force?)
    * Starblazers (both seasons) (Starship Yamato?)
    * Akira (and I still don't get it)
    * Ninja Scroll

24. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I was really expecting him to go the Freudian route with the sandworms part.

25. TheManinBlack

Aug 1, 2007
    Unless you live in Japan or rather where born and raised there, you'll never really get it. In many ways its a SERIOUS BUSSINESS version of Dr. Strangelove

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.