main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Social Thread -- never mind Announcements, let's just chat!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by ValedaKor, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    GJ and I are in agreement that the film was disappointing. For the sake of spoilers, I will not mention specific scenes in the film that I did not like.

Overall, I did not like the plotline and any of the character development. The humor seemed forced at times and did not flow like it does in the Indy trilogy.

To me, it was not worth the almost 3 years of anticipation and all the hype that surrounded it over the past few months.

A good film on its own if you remove the name "Indiana Jones" and the iconic character. But as a new Indy film, it falls short of expectations.

- Justin

2. Lufta Shif

Lufta Shif Jedi Master star 2

May 31, 2000
    I enjoyed IJ4, but it was not without its shortcomings. Too much CGI - especially the monkeys, jungle chase, and ants. Too many "Superman/Tarzan/Zorro" feats by the young dude. It was a lot of fun to watch, however. Ford did a great job. My favorite scene: the sandpit! My favorite line: the SW related one!

3. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    100% agree Juston

4. Amidala081499

Amidala081499 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2003
    Ok...So tonight was the big night.

All set for seeing Indy 4.

I have to agree completely with Justin. I was very disappointed and left the theatre wanting something more.

Here is what I have to say about the film:

I did not care for the character development, and I was left drawn back by Shia LeBouf's character. I did like how Marion and Indy ended up getting hitched in the end, but did not like how the whole thing came along. All of the other Indy movies centered around something archaelogical and something religious, with Indy searching for some religious artifact. The skulls were neat, but they did not flow with the rest of the flims. To be honest, I felt I was watching a the new X-Files movie. It was WAY too sci-fi for me, and there was way too much humor.

What I did like, was the tie ins from the last movies. Seeing the Arc in the warehouse was spectacular, and seeing the car going over the waterfalls, like in Temple of Doom, and Henry Sr. and Body's pis on Indy's desk, really made me tear up.

Overall, not too thrilled, but Lucas did warn us that it was NOT going to be a great movie. I still feel kinda sad, but oh well, it was entertaining, and hearing the theme song again was great. I was a little worried in the end when Indy's fedora got blown into the wind and landed at Shia's feet. I thought to myself "oh no, please, he cannot be the next Indiana." Thank goodness Ford picked it up, I then took a deep breath...lol.

Anyhoo...ok movie, will wait for the dvd. Will not go back to the theatre to see it again.

NOW....ONTO CLONE WARS, COMING OUT IN AUGUST. Yippie!!!

5. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Wow - Indy has raked in over $126 million so far. :eek:

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20080525/121175472000.html

- Justin

6. Grumpy_Jedi

Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2006
    Yeah, I think a film like this would make a ton of cash regardless of how bad it is. The name alone and all the hype... I just don't see a lot of people dying to see it twice. It's possible the high ticket sales will drop off rather quickly. If you haven't seen it yet, Iron Man is a much better film. I'd seriously check that out if I were you. And I'm not directing this to you, Justin. I know you already saw it. =)

7. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    It's been almost a week since I saw Indy, and the sting from the disappointment still lingers. :(

I tried analyzing the film in my head over & over again to try and convince myself that it was a worthy Indy piece. And I refuse to change the desktop wallpaper on my computers - they all have different KOTCS wallpapers.

But no matter how hard I tried, I simply could not do it. The ratio of Cons to Pros for the film is too great for me.

Sorry, Lucas/Spielberg. You guys dropped the ball with this film. For me, I will always have the legendary Indy Trilogy, and then classify KOTCS as the "other Indy film".

- Justin

8. Amidala081499

Sep 13, 2003
    Justin...

I so agree.

I was terribly disappointed and felt my night out was wasted. I mean there was absolutely nothing about the movie I liked, other that the old Indy tie-ins. If I wanted to watch a science fiction movie, I would pop in Star Wars. Indy is supposed to be "old-fashioned" and archaelogical, what happened there? Man oh man, what a bad taste...not to mention Shia Lebouf, come on...geesh.

I really feel robbed. I mean here we have the two genius minds, Lucas and Speilburg, and that is what they come up with? I think keeping these two separated is a GOOD idea. Thank goodness they did not make Star Wars together, gosh what a train wreck that would have been...lol.

Ok...that is my venting for now...lol

9. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    It's amazing - there are fans on the RS boards trying to bash the negative comments (including mine) that people have about KOTCS. They must feel like since it is an Indy movie, we have to automatically like it and the plotline associated with it.

To heck with that.

If the film stinks, I'm gonna say so, regardless of the name attached to it. And I'm certainly not gonna let other fans' reaction to the flim influence my own judgement.

(Gets down from his soap box...)

- Justin

10. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    I liked it and have already seen it twice! It wasn't perfect, but it was fun.

11. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    I don't have a problem with the way the majority of it was handled... it was entertaining at best... but where they went with it in the just sucked. I'm sorry, I can't find a reason to like it either and I have to take my son to see it this weekend. LOL. I'm actually not looking forward to it. How's that? I'm not looking forward to seeing an Indy movie? I can't believe I'm saying that. I'd much rather see Iron Man for a 3rd time. Anyway, I went back and started watching the originals and it made me dislike this last one even more... and not in the same way a lot of people disliked the new Star Wars films. Phantom Menace is still me least favorite Star Wars movie yet it has some of my favorite scenes that give me chills to this day. The battle at the end with Darth Maul, Obi-Wan, and Qui Gon? That has to be some of the most beautifully choreographed saber scenes I've ever seen. There wasn't anything like that.. no saving grace in KOTCS.... NOTHING... my favorite moment in the last Indy film was basically a cameo that lasted 2 seconds!!!

I may end up buying this movie for my son who I'm sure isn't old enough to appreciate the classicness (is that a word) of the original films but I doubt I'll ever have cause to watch it again. It will be part of the collection but that's it. I stil watch all of the Star Wars movies equally and just as often. KOTCS won't be like that for me... ever.

12. ShadaErsari

ShadaErsari Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2003
    I've been reading everyone's words regarding the new Indy film, and I have to say that I am very glad that I'm not the only one who came out of this disappointed. I had some coworkers who knew I was looking forward to the movie, and after I saw it, they came up to ask me what I thought. It broke my heart to tell them that they I didn't like it. (I don't like to say I "hated" it...but in a way...okay, I did.) They seemed to be absolutely appalled at me for not liking this movie...which just confuses me.

Because really - I'm sorry - what was there to like?

I feel like a bad fan for even saying that. lol :\

13. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Far from it. In fact, you are being more of a true fan by not letting fandom cloud your opinions of the film.

I give you lots of credit for posting your real feelings on the film.

- Justin

14. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    I think you, like most people, just wanted to like it so much. We're all a bit older and when a film like this comes out, it reminds us of those days long gone. We get excited. I mean seriously, fans have been waiting for this movie for years. We've been told over and over that it would be made. Ford and gang talked about. There was a lot of speculation about the script since Ford himself supposedly had to "okay" it. Then it finally came and for lack of a better word, it kinda sucked. Okay, it wasn't horrible and in fact as Justin pointed out to me in a private email, had this story line been some other sci-fi kinda movie without Indiana Jones, it might not have been that bad. But they didn't do that and as painful as it is to say, the movie stunk big time. With the exception of one post on here, I haven't heard a single person who could say they actually liked it with a straight face.

15. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    I posted this over on the RS forums - I am actually more excited to see all of the bonus content on the KOTCS DVD release than seeing the actual film again.

Sad to say, but true for me.

- Justin

16. ShadaErsari

Sep 17, 2003
    Well, thank you Justin and Grumpy for making me feel not-quite-so-bad about my feelings regarding the film. It's true - I went into this wanting to like the new movie. I knew it wouldn't live up to the old trilogy, but then again, nothing ever will. But I at least went in hoping I would like it enough to get excited over the prospect of adventure and action and just...childhood silliness, I suppose.

And I felt...like a child abandoned when I walked out of that movie. It sincerely broke my heart.

I actually wrote a rather lengthy review regarding the film when I got home. I was just so irritated and upset that I had to vent my frustrations. I'm wondering how if I was too harsh, but I doubt it. ;)

17. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    And to think I have to go see that piece of garbage tonight for the 2nd time.... my son is dying to see it. I so desperately would rather take him to see Prince Caspian... (((SIGH)))

18. Lufta Shif

May 31, 2000
    :D Grumpy_Jedi, how was KOTCS the second time? :D

19. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Well, at least Ed Dolista love KOTCS. :)

- Justin

20. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    You know, and I can't believe I'm saying this, I actually liked it a lot more the 2nd time around. I still have a huge problem with the end of the movie but I enjoyed it a lot more the 2nd time. I took my son who's 7 and maybe it's because I watched it this time with younger eyes. I don't know. Maybe we're all just a bit older now and more jaded so we look at the films differently. I still think they could have gone in a different direction but maybe the 2nd time I already know what I was in store for and so I wasn't so shocked. That's the only thing I can think of. It's still my least favorite Indy movie but the horrible piece of trash I first thought it was. I'll certainly buy it when it comes out on Blu-Ray.

21. ShadaErsari

Sep 17, 2003
    Hmm....well, I'm intrigued now! I'm glad that you ended up liking it better the second time around. :)

I know I have to go back and rewatch this film with fresh eyes. It's not fair to judge something off of a midnight showing...at least that's my experience in the past.

I'm just too scared to go back and see the horror all over again. ;)

22. Lufta Shif

May 31, 2000

23. Amidala081499

Sep 13, 2003
    I guess I am too bitter. Sorry, not wasting my money or energy on a second showing. I cant wait for Clone Wars...hehehe

24. ShadaErsari

Sep 17, 2003
    I'm wondering if I should get excited over that one or just take an air of indifference to it. ;) lol After Indy, I'm [more than] a little disappointed...

25. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    Not sure how I feel about this either. I love the films and while I used to read the books, I quickly got tired of others take with the characters etc. I know Lucas didn't write this and to be honest, I'm a little sick to death of the time period upon which this story takes place. I can't see myself not going to see it but I'm not that excited about it. Visually it looks good but I don't know if there is enough of a plot there to make an interesting story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.