main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Social Thread -- never mind Announcements, let's just chat!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by ValedaKor, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amidala081499

Amidala081499 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2003
    Wow...I had to laugh at that discription pwink...lol.

However, I am with Justin on this one. But...I will not be buying this new set in Nov. I am going to save that money and put it into my C5 fund, so I have more money to spend on prints and such.

Oh where oh where are the annoucements at, oh where oh where are they please????

2. Grumpy_Jedi

Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2006
    No the only thing that bothers me about Disney is that pathetic campaign to say "For the 1st time in collectors format!" LOL! There is simply no such thing. "Released for the 1st time from the Disney Vault". LOL! Cracks me up.

Look, it's a free country. People are entitled to buy what they want. As long as people keep buying it and supporting the company, they'll keep making it. The problem with Lucas is that instead of putting out quality products, they'll just keep rehashing the old stuff.

3. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    I don't see how re-releasing the Saga on DVD is different from all of the re-packs and re-paints of figures that we keep getting.

Hasbro takes "Figure X" from a wave from 2007 and re-packs it into a new wave for 2008 in the form of a Battle Pack or something. They even did it with the Evolutions sets (released the same figure packs with the new blue Legacy Collection packaging).

And fans continue to purchase that same figure(s) over and over again just because the backercard/box artwork is different or the figure comes packaged with a new accessory or articulation.

It's all personal preference of course.

4. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    Yeah, it's all personal preference no doubt. I think the constant re-packaging thing kind of mocks the whole idea of collecting to begin with. True variations or different versions of figures is one thing. Even rarities with the package itself is valid. Hasbro and Lucas though.. they see a market out there for those people who need and want EVERYTHING Star Wars and that's who they're doing this for. In the end though, it just waters down a collection. With comics, it's a little different and I know something about comics. They'll come out with different covers of the same book but those "varient" covers are issued in far less quantities. For every 50 issues printed, they may have a 1/50 variant which makes it worth more etc. They'll make 1 variant for every 50 regular issues. Sometimes they do a 50/50 which is just an excuse to get more sales for the same issue so I'm not a fan of that etiher.

But I suppose it really doesn't matter. In the end, people are free to do what they want with their money. I just wish Lucas would have enough respect for the fan (and collectors) to give them something a little extra besides a pretty cover. There still has to be some footage out there, specials or tid bits. If he's going to screw me out of another $40, I should be able to get a little foreplay out of it.

5. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    We've actually begun to pare down our SW/Indy collection over the past few weeks. Selling off some of our duplicate items, and trying to narrow our collecting focus down to a few lines:

3.75" figures (not every figure - just a select group)
    GG mini busts
    Sideshow statues/dioramas
    Hasbro Battle Packs
    Board games/Christmas ornaments
    Celebration-related items
    Books/Visual Guides (no EU novels or comics - not an EU fan at all)

Gotta reign in the SW collection spending and start allocating those funds to more important things (like adding to the C5 Fund).

6. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    There's a guy somewhere in MD that has a Star Wars museum in his house. You can call and make an appointment to visit... thought about doing it a few times. The only Star Wars item I'd love to have is an original Star Wars pin ball machine. I've actually been thinking of selling my posters of which I have many. Trouble is there is no market for that stuff. I have my figs when I was a kid. I'll never sell them.

7. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned playing TFU here yet! :eek:

Has everybody picked up their copy of the game?

Thoughts on the game?

I'm four missions into the game, and I absolutely LOVE it!!

8. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006

Got luke warm reviews so I think I'll pass. There are just so many games out there and so little time. I'm kind of stuck sticking with the high quality games.

9. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Ahhh, but you can't let the opinions of others influence your own thoughts, GJ.

From movies to games to food to whatever, I never let somebody else's comments or reviews affect how I think/feel about something.

If you're leery about TFU, rent it first for a day or so. I'm sure you'll formulate your own opinions on it in no time.

You've heard the old saying: "Never judge a book by its cover". ;)

10. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    I actually played the demo.. it was decent, but I'm just swamped with other games right now. I'm mostly into the online games and what not.. and we've been playng a lot of Rock Band and Guitar Hero. TFU looks alright but it's just not a priority for me right now. I have a new pupppy at home too so I've been spending a lot of time with him. Sadly enough, I see Star Wars falling behind in my lists of priorities. Have no interest in seeing the Clone Wars or playing the game.... not sure why, it just is.

11. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    There are a lot of fans that feel that way. It's just the way that life operates :cool:.

And I wonder if we'll lose others along the way, when the series starts up. It'll be very interesting to see how this weekly show is received. I'm wondering how "different" it'll be, as it were, to make it more interesting to viewers who haven't gotten on board with the GFFA. With the books, this is a big deal (which you'd know if you've kept up with the literature forums LOL). How far will long-time fans go to accept a show that may very well be a big departure from what we've come to know as the story of Star Wars, what's lately coming very close to "kinda sorta canon, from a certain point of view?"

12. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    Are you talking about the live action series? THAT I'm interested in and will most certainly watch and buy on blu ray if it's any good. I'm just sick of the annimated stuff... although I'll probably buy Clone Wars for my son and watch it and then we'll watch the series. I'm looking forward to the live action series although I have some reservations on how it's going to be made. They shouldn't have any excuses though. They've made some pretty fantastic series on Sci-fi like Battlestar Galactica and Stargate etc... some of those are very well written etc. and the budgets are there for nice effects that make you feel like your watching something on par with a movie and not a tv series.

13. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    UPDATE -- TCW Movie hits DVD and Blu-Ray on Nov. 11th!

http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars/news20080925.html

With different retail-exclusive packaging too! [face_dancing]

14. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    And I'm sure you'll buy all 6 versions too.

15. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Three of 'em for sure...

16. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    TCW series premiere tonight at 9:00 EST.

I cannot WAIT!! [face_dancing]

17. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    My son called me this morning to remind me of that. We were supposed to have a Guitar Hero night but that's been put on hold for the Clone Wars. LOL! So this continues the movie that came out in August?

18. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    I watcheded them... not bad. The droid humor in the 1st episode was REALLY getting on my nerves but the rest of it was okay. My son liked it so I guess the writers hit their target audience. If the live action series is going to be as campy then I'm going to be pissed.

19. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    I love TCW series. I went into the movie release without any pre-conceived notions about what I was expecting to see, and I did the same thing with the TV premiere.

This series was truly made to be viewed on the TV screen (and in HD of course). I loved all the little references to the OT, and I can't wait to see what new characters/planets are revealed as the series progresses.

Two huge thumbs up for me.

20. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    My cable network doesn't carry Cartoon Network, if you can believe it. I'll just have to wait for the DVD :cool:.

21. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    The series will also be re-aired on TNT.

22. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Shucks, I missed that info, I'll have to check it out. Thanks, Justin!

23. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    You're very welcome, Helen.

Here is the official SW.com announcement that mentions the TNT airing:

http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars/news/announcement.html

24. Amidala081499

Amidala081499 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2003
    Hey Guys...

I am still alive...lol. Grad school has been killing me...lol.

I did have the opportunity to see last weeks Clone Wars and loved it! The kids loved it too.

Also, I happen to have had the opportunity to see approx. 2 hours of footage from Celebrations Japan. I have it on disk if anyone wants it.

Justin...I got all 3 of my Star Wars ornaments already...lol. Did you?

Hugs Everyone...Missed ya!

25. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Hi Connie! Glad to see you back here 'round these parts!

As for this year's SW ornaments, I picked up the following:

From Hallmark: Royal Guard, Final Confrontation, Imperial Shuttle, and the Indy ornament.
    From Target: Glass R2, glass Vader, and the 3-sided CW cube.

I'm still waiting for new Kurt Adler Fabriche pieces to be released. Rumor has it he will be releasing an Ewok piece with two Ewoks, similar to what he did with the two Jawas.

Keep those fingers crossed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.