1. Oh hai Guest!

Welcome to the RPF!

RPR Archive The Society of Free-Range Gaming

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Penguinator, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    The Society of Free-Range Gaming

Welcome to the little society dedicated to keeping games fun. Not as formal as a guild, not as loose as a club, the SoFRG is here to ensure that games don't get bogged down in the details. It's here to keep things fresh and new and exciting - it's here to help improve interaction between players, between the GM, and between games.

The Society of Free-Range Gaming is here to help, not to hinder. As such, there is no real timetable or agenda of items. The society's here to help keep games going once they are started, as well as to encourage new ideas and concepts. The only agenda/schedule the Society has is to foster creative ideas in all forums.

How to Get In

Just say so and you are! There is no member list, there is no system of classification - you want in, you got it!

This isn't about the science of gaming, nor is it about competing with one another - this is creativity! This is free-range!

Let the GDG and CDG worry about the technical aspects. We're here to foster new beliefs and ideas about what makes a game fun, how to make a game fun, and how to have fun playing it.

Current Starting Topic:

What makes a game fun? How do you make a game fun? Does it involve finger painting?

Laslty, some Rules and Regulations

- Obey the TOS
    - Respect the Boards
    - Respect other users
    - No negative ideas!/>/>
  2. Hammurabi Force Ghost

star 4
  3. Burning_Hatred Jedi Knight

star 2
  4. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    I was away for a couple days, which is why I didn't make a post two seconds (dial-up, you know) after this thread was started.

Let me catch up on everything around here, and I'll get a post up on what makes a game fun.
  5. Zedd-Vega Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Roleplaying is the canvas that each of us contribute to with our individual splatter of paint.
  6. sword_of_raditz Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    This could prove a useful venture of the Soviet Remnant's resources. Count me in.
  7. NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus

star 6
  8. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
  9. Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs

star 5
    I raise an eyebrow at the whily-nhily ness of this thread...

Fun and whimsy? Meh! :p

I think we might have a GDG rival on our hands!

Which is good... ;)

We'll see if fun can beat good game construction in the end!

I'll be reading here at the very least... the GDG supports your efforts!

And Peng, PM me up if you want a little inner-RPR competition... O:) :p

-I_H

10. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    Imp, I think every single thing you just said went against the purpose of the Society. :p
  11. Hammurabi Force Ghost

star 4
    Hammer, I think you and Peng need to have a talk or something.
  12. Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs

star 5
    Hehe...

Nah Hammurabi, I'm all for these kinda threads...

Even if I may jovially heckle it from time to time... :p

-I_H
  13. LightWarden Force Ghost

star 4
    As long as no one else jovially heckles you, right?
  14. Hammurabi Force Ghost

star 4
    JOVIAL HECKLING ENSUES
  15. Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs

star 5
  16. SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ahhh, another thread full of classic RPF banter like that? You bet I'm in!
  17. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    Now, keep in mind that there is no real roster, unless it is demanded that I create one. So merely by saying you're in makes you a member. We don't judge. ;)

And, Impy - I'm not saying one is better than the other; they go hand-in-hand. The idea behind this was to keep creative ideas going strong on all fronts. This isn't about game creation or management, it's about the love the gaming.

We're not rivals - we're partners in crime, if anything!

Thank you all for your support - I'm eager to get right down to the discussion of this.
  18. sword_of_raditz Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Oops.

1. Hammurabi
    2. Burning_Hatred
    3. Reynar_Tedros
    4. Zedd-Vega
    5. sword_of_raditz
    6. NaboosPrincess
    7. Saintheart
    8. SephyCloneNo15
  19. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    Well, that works too.

Down to business...

What makes a game fun? How do you make a game fun? Does it involve finger painting?

Okay, I copied and pasted that. I've accepted it, let's move on.

Really, what is it that makes a game fun for it's players? What ingredients need to be there for a barrel of laughs? Is there a secret formula for successful games, or is it just pure luck?

Imperial_Hammer has quite often spoken with me about successful games. Some people believe that it's the right thing at the right time, others think that a good game at any time can be successful.

So what is success in a game? What makes games fun? More importantly, why hasn't anyone written it down as a formula so I can steal it?
  20. SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well done humor. It's not everything, but it's a big part of it. In an SWRPG, it may only take a well-placed reference to the movies (perhaps an "I have a bad feeling about this."). In other games, it's more complicated.

I guess what I'm saying is get Sith I-5 and DVC to join your game, and you're in good hands in the humor department and therefore the fun department.
  21. Livi-Wan Force Ghost

star 4
    In my opinion, it's down to playing your character with all their mental processes firing. There's bound to be an 'Oh, Frag' moment at some point down the line, or some kind of interplay that totally passes them by, or an anecdote about a guy that you just met who reminds of the time with the banthas and how you couldn't get the smell off for- anyway, where were we?

Fun also means not taking everything seriously. I mean, this is a galaxy with flying cars, wacky hairstyles, and aliens with butts for faces. There's gotta be some kind of ridiculousness there you can have fun with.
  22. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    I agree with Livi-Wan, you really have to find a balance between fun and seriousness, with the latter being dominant, IMHO. A lot of games I've seen take themselves far too seriously.

For instance (I totally used to be this way, so I'm sort of knocking on myself here), sending out game invitations. All the fancy wording and the honorable speeches really turn me away from joining, because I think the game is going to be way too serious and not really focused on the fun aspect of it. I'm more drawn to the straightforward, to-the-point invites, that really make you believe that the game is going to be fun and not unnecessarily formal (another problem I have with a few games).

Also, I think the length of a game's opening post has a lot to do with the fun aspect of it. I like it when OPs are (not too) short and sweet. Just get to the point, none of that "I'd like to take this time to thank the fine role players for reading this far into my game," yada yada. And also, all those fabricated systems that make OPs [face_hypnotized] in length. This usually turns me away from a game because I think that the players will be too limited in adhering to a set system rather than just having fun, which, I should think, is the purpose of RPGs.

And I'm not trying to kiss ass here, but GMs need to take a look at the opening posts made by Peng and Dubya, who, IMHO, are the kings of OPs. Short, sweet, to the point, and most of all, fun. No complex system, no long and drawn out speeches, just focusing on the game and the fun part of it.
  23. benkenobi151 Force Ghost

star 4
    I've always found those post very appealing, too. I hope to get back into role-playing after my long break.:D
  24. LightWarden Force Ghost

star 4
    I'd say it's pretty simple. Always remember you are playing Pretendy Fun Time Games. You cannot take them seriously. YOU ARE PLAYING A GAME OF MAKE BELIEVE WITH INVISIBLE PEOPLE OVER THE MAGIC OF THE INTERNET! YOU ARE NOT DOING ANYTHING GREAT AND WORLD-SHAKING WHICH MUST BE PROTECTED WITH EVERY DROP OF BLOOD IN YOUR BODY! If you believe that anything you do here is SERIOUS BUSINESS and a BIG DEAL, you have already failed. I REPEAT, THIS IS A GAME! IF YOU ARE NOT BEING ENTERTAINED, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Of course, common courtesy is a fine thing. As is a willingness to take a beating, accept a loss and get messy. And a willingness to find entertainment in everything (and entertain others). A sense of player camaraderie helps too, so that you can laugh both when you're kicking ass, and having your ass kicked. And it would totally help if players would be willing to concede and TRY NEW THINGS once in a while. Given the size of this board, you might not be able to ever find a game that's 100% in line with your tastes, and you will almost certainly never create one that everyone likes. For example, my personal tastes run in the direction of long and involved opening posts, which tell me that this is one dedicated GM who put a lot of thought into creating a game. Of course, I may find the post to be full of nothing but junk, or maybe figure out that the GM doesn't run things the way I'd like them, but it's just an initial impression. I have no problem with reading through pages and pages of posts at a game intro (of course, if it's pages and pages of intro about the GM's character... that's my cue to walk away). So take what you've got, and have fun with your fellow players. Create and play games you can have fun with.

And I believe that your quality of gaming experience will improve dramatically if people would turn the drama switch off and just have their characters act human. And it helps if your characters have weaknesses... and I'm not talking Achilles' heel here, that's just not how you play a game, because then your GM will have to challenge you by targeting your heel day in and day out. Kryptonite loses its splendor when everyone has it.
  25. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Good call, LightWarden.

What makes a game fun, for me at least, is to have a nice, chatty group of players who are prepared to deal decently with each other and with the GM. Some unashamedly warm fuzzies from players OOC when there's been a really good post would be nice to say the least. I think what also makes the game fun is that you have a relatively wide world to play in, or you have a great sense of anticipation every time you click on the forum to see if the newest posts relate to the RPG you're in.

As for how to make a game fun ... well, that's probably a lot harder. As 'Warden says, the 'pretendy fun principle' is one way. Another is, as a GM or as a player, not to be an @$$ about any aspect of it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.