main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive The Society of Free-Range Gaming

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Penguinator, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    Well, short of railroading, I don't think that it's really possible to prepare to the point of unplayability. It's better than the "Pardon Our Dust" style of making stuff up as you go along. Don't see too much trouble in spending a large amount of time making a big world full of things for the players to do, so long as you accept that they probably won't do everything.

And even if you railroad, it's not that bad so long as the view is nice, the ride is fun, and the destination is Awesometown.

2. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    All good points, thanks for keeping this discussion going.

Next Topic:

Keeping the game fresh

If we know what makes a game fun to begin with, how does one keep this game going? How do the situations stay fun and interesting? How does a game stay fresh and not go rotten?

3. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    This has always been the problem with my games, and so far I've found no solution. So I'll be intently waiting for some responses to this one.

4. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    Planning is part of it. It doesn't all need to be done when the game starts, but you never want to run out of ideas. When that happens, you better get creative.

5. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Is it perhaps changing the situation? 'Exiles' seems to be all about changing worlds periodically, and it seems to do okay...?

6. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    "Okay" is an understatement; that game began when the NSWRPF was first conceptualized, and is still running to this day.

In part, it's because of an ever-rotating cast of characters; some players who were there for the game's inception left, returned, disappeared, et cetera.

In part, it's because of the changing scenarios. Players aren't limited by being stuck in one universe for too long, making each change of scenarios a breath of fresh air.

It would appear to me the Dubya Scott has got the ultimate game to keep players interested. It's always changing.

And this brings me to my next point - and a possible future topic: Exiles is, to me, the first episodic game on the NSWRPF.

7. Zedd-Vega

Zedd-Vega Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 2003
    Exiles wins my vote for anything. Put any game against it and force me to choose, and I'll certainly choose Exiles before it.

8. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I think it must have elements in common with "Jedi Outcasts" on the SWRPG. That RPG is just a black-hole-scale anomaly in the RPGing laws of physics. :p

9. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    I have fun when the GM gives me obstacles to overcome and lets me relax in the RP.

NJO and Exiles keep it interesting by the fact that they are like a society RPG, where commnications and actions are done like you would normally do it.

Exiles is just amazing by the fact that it is so loose its fun. I have to agree with another by saying if you had to make me choose between another NSW RPG and Exiles, Exiles has it. Dubya knows how to run a RPG and by that factor alone the game becomes fun.

The players are creative in both RPGs and along with loose and fun GMs the RPGs become great, which is why they have lasted so long.

Sadly, I haven't had time to participate in them as much as I would like to.

:(

The factor of fun is a combined teamwork, even relationship, between the GM, the players, and the game itself. The ability to imagine how the enviroment is and what would be appropriate is a challenge alone with me, a challenge that I enjoy.

Outlaw Sessions is a prime example of what I mean. Being able to relate to every factor is very fun.

A) The GM: Peng is a loose, yet complex, GM that you can come up and work ideas with. He hasn't put too much pressure on anyone and his updates leave enough to the imagination, yet still set the setting for the players.

B)The other players: The players seem to be able to relate to one another, yet remain individuals. I, myself, have been watching the conversation between Reynar's character, Brother, and Winged_Jedi's, Hideo Higashi, with much interest. Brother, a young, eager, and simple cowboy who loves big flashs and explosion, then you have Hideo, who is a vet who prefers the sniper approach to things. It has been quite amusing to watch the back and forth between them. That is the relationship between players/characters that if it is in all games, will make the game much more fun for everyone involved.

C)The Game: The game itself is fun for the main factor that we are really familiar with the enviroment of Cowboy Bebop and its not hard for me to imagine the settings. Being a fan isn't necessary, but it does help me if I can picture what the setting is. It allows me to interpret and take the proper steps to do certain things.

Beast

10. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I say this with only humour meant...

No, I will not let Kane out of his cage. :p

Thanks, Beast - I'm flattered. But I'd wait until the game's a bit further on, and then we'll see what you think of it.

New Topic tomorrow!

Next Topic: Episodic Games

11. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    No, I will not let Kane out of his cage.

Dangit! All that work down the drain.

No I was just saying what I liked about it so far.

Who knows, I might end up hating it.

:p

Beast

12. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    You have a character named "Kane"? Hmmm, now why does that sound familiar, I wonder... :D

13. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Okay!

Current Topic: Episodic Games

What they are: games that are made up of many small stories linked together, often with one overarching plotline. Sometimes, it's merely a game with a loose story - character driven plot would be an excellent description. Stories last a short time - they're quickly concluded, and the next conflict is brought in.

Why they're awesome: the sheer freedom! The freshness! The game can keep going indefinitely, as there is no real goal in sight, but plenty of interesting things to keep players hooked.

So, in short: one large story broken down into itty bitty pieces, or a bunch of stories woven together.

I think LightWarden has spoken of this before, so if he wants, he can put his two cents in here and clear up anything I've done wrong.

14. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    What, no interest?

15. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I think it's the lack of a specific question that might have all us little raccoons hiding in our trees. :)

But as to the subject: sure, episodic games can work. I always GM with a plot direction in mind, though, and I don't think mine would fall into this category.

16. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Hitman is the first episodic game I've run so far, so we'll see how it goes.

So far though, I give it two thumbs way up.

17. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    Episodic games from my opinion are great and can definitely work.

I am having fun with Saint's Angelic game and it also provides good reading material, because you're not involved in all the plots so some of it would be new to you.

128 ABY is one of the greatest examples of how many small stories can comtribute to the overall storyline.

Beast[face_peace]

18. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    So what Saint's saying is that I need to give homework....:p

All right - here's a question: how should they be run?

19. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    1) GM gives the players a mission
    2) In-mission, there is a hint of an overall arcing story
    3) Players complete mission
    4) Rinse and repeat, and continue to open up an overall story arc

I would assume.

20. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Should the players be doing everything together? What makes the game fun? Should you pair up players that work well together or players that haven't formed a dynamic duo?

21. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I'm a fan of splitting into groups/separating the players once in a while (players go on assignments alone in Hitman, so we'll see how that works out). And it's always better to put people together who work well with each other, because they have fun with it. I don't know how Winged feels, but working with him in Bebop is extremely fun.

22. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    New topic forthcoming. Actually, I want you guys to start discussing things amongst yourself, but if you need a starting point, I'm happy to try and find a good one for you.

23. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    What I'm trying to do with "Door of Night" is to have basically all the players (because they are few) be in one group. My favorite parts of the LOTR Series (books and films) was during all the Fellowship scenes and chapters. I liked all the bonding and companionship between the members of the Fellowship, and that is what I'm trying to do with "Door of Night". I like to see all the players interacting with each other. "Door of Night" is basically the "Fellowship of the Ring" except the Fellowship has a different goal.

But the possibility may open up where the party may be split.

24. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    The idea of all players together is good ... the drawback is waiting for a crucial player to post when he's off reading Harry Potter 7. :D

Divide into small groups when you've got a lot of players. More work for you, but more fun for them, I believe.

25. godofwar1233

godofwar1233 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 22, 2007
    Im interested in joining.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.