main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Solo Fel Misdirect in SW: Legacy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Tanjint, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    I got the 3 Legacy hardcovers and am in the middle of the second one.

I haven't read the Ania Solo comics yet but wookiepedia gives me the impression that those stories confirmed that Marasiah and presumably her father Roan are indeed of Solo ancestry in indicating that Marasiah and Ania are related.

Given that, why does no one in the Legacy universe acknowledge the Fels as being of Skywalker descent?

Like I get why Cade has to be the rallying point- Bantha's too old, the Fels are more symbols of the Empire than the SkySolo heritage, Cade has that powerful healing and breaking ability - but that no one even mentions that they're related until the Ania Solo stories seems strange.

Or do they later in the series? I just finished the Hidden Temple arc.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    What difference would it make?

He is also from Lukes line, the Fels are from the Leia line, so more is expected from him, which is one of the things he is struggling with.

Tanjint likes this.
  3. Tanjint

Dec 21, 2015
    To me the difference it makes is that for a story so centered on the Skywalker Legacy you'd think they'd deal with it more on the Fel side unless they are implying that the Fels are implying that somehow the Fels are less Skywalker-descended than Cade which doesn't really make sense to me and I want to know how that works.

Leia's line has several powerful and accomplished Jedi in it too: at least Jaina, Anakin, and presumably Allana. I'm wondering if people in this era are far less aware of the Fels' Solo lineage. I wonder if Cade and Kol know about it; if Kol was going to reveal it to his son later in life and never got the chance. I wonder if the story is implying that a particular distance or rift came between Jaina and the Jedi order of her uncle as she started her family. It seems downplayed intentionally, like it was making room for the Sword of the Jedi novel trilogy that got cancelled.

I know we'll never get full answers to these things given Disney's wipe but I would love to read folks' speculation about it. I have revisited old threads about this era on the boards but found examination of this topic surprisingly limited and am wondering if there's an obvious piece, maybe in another graphic novel or novel that would make the way the characters handle it the way they do.

Yeah the Jedi are wary of the Imperial Knights but nobody's worried Marasiah will become the next Vader or Krayt the way they are with Cade and given their wariness of the Imp Knights you'd think her lineage would give them exactly those kinds of concerns.

Jag4Me and BobaMatt like this.
  4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Pretty sure the Legacy comics would also have gone into it more if they were not cut short.

Tanjint likes this.
  5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    In volume II, it's confirmed that Marasiah and Ania are cousins ("oh, you're one of THOSE Solo's"), and of course that Ania is descended from Han and Leia.

Tanjint and spicer like this.
  6. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Because the Empire is a patriarchal dynasty.

Tanjint likes this.
  7. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I just noticed you're only as far as the Hidden Temple. So I added a spoiler tag, even though it's not needed since all this content was released many years ago. Don't click unless you want to spoiled for the ending of Legacy. But it does answer your question.

Because the Fels, particularly Roan Fel, turned out to be evil. Emperor Roan Fel did not prevent the Moffs from declaring war on the Galactic Alliance. He allowed his Empire to ally itself with the Sith, and with their help, prosecuted a successful war against the Galactic Alliance. Roan Fel conquered his former allies with the aid of the Sith, and then failed to prevent his vicious new allies from overthrowing him and taking the Throne and Empire that was his birthright and had been held by all the Fel Emperors before him. These actions aren't even the worst of Roan Fel's actions. He initiates a number of questionable actions in his futile attempts to regain his throne, but near the end of the struggle, Fel fell to the Dark Side and coerced the Sith Lady Maladi to concoct a deadly pathogen for him that he intended to deploy on Sith-controlled Coruscant.

The pathogen, Omega Red, would have wiped out all life on Coruscant, a planet with a population of over a trillion sentients, the vast majority of them innocent bystanders. The worst part of Roan Fel's corrupt and evil plan was that he had been duped by the Sith one last time. Maladi's pathogen would have killed all life on Coruscant except for the Sith. By design, they were immune to Omega Red. Roan Fel's evil plan was only thwarted by his most loyal Imperial Knight, Antares Draco, who made the ultimate choice of loyalty to an ideal over personal loyalty and struck down his Emperor even as Roan Fel was about to press the button to wipe out all life on Coruscant.

The creators of Legacy likely knew which direction they were taking the Fels in and made sure to avoid promoting them as clean-cut heroes and of Skywalker lineage, since they turned out to be very corrupt and evil. Though Fel's daughter was mostly good, Roan Fel became an evil man, no better than Darth Krayt himself. The Imperial Knights made sure to conceal their Emperor's madness and hid his attempted mass murder from the galaxy. Had Roan Fel's actions ever come to light, the Empire as an entity would likely be finished.

8. Tanjint

Dec 21, 2015
    I don't mind spoilers. Reading Legacy spoilers is what made me want to finish Legacy. I actually read about this far back in 2008 and just decided this month to finish the series.

All that sounds rather Vader-y of Fel, I hope that gets played with in the execution.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

9. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

Honestly, Fel doesn't come off like Vader at all in those issues. Doesn't resemble Palpatine either. His insanity when he tries to kill everyone on Coruscant honestly reminds me of Darth Caedus more than anything else. There are parallels between Draco killing Fel and Jaina killing Jacen. Very similar scenes, both villains are being kille while trying initiate what they see as a vital action. Of course Fel was trying to kill everyone on Coruscant, a damning act while Caedus was trying to save his daughter,a semi-redeeming act. But yeah, Roan Fel turns out to be a very evil person, on par with Vader and Caedus. Jaina and Jag would be so proud of their descendant.

Jedi Ben and Tanjint like this.
  10. Tanjint

Dec 21, 2015
    Hm, I'm much deeper into the second hardcover now.

So you guys are saying even though Cade's series finished, Ania's was cut short and they may have done even more entire Legacy series on different descendants if DH kept the license and that all of their sagas through flashbacks and expositional dialogue would have eventually filled in more of the gap between Fate of the Jedi: Apocalypse and the beginning of the Cade-centered stories. That sound right?

That makes sense and boy it makes me wonder...it makes me wonder what happened with Allana's life that her descendant is a scavenger, or Jaina's relationship with the rest of the Jedi given how distant the Fels seem from the Skywalkers by Cade's era. I just wonder what they were implying with all that; I suppose the Jaina-Fel stuff was always setting up a divide between her and the SkySolo clan and we just don't know how it happened.

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Maybe, though we'll never know and Apocalypse did, by all accounts, engage in some quite lousy sabotaging too.

Tanjint likes this.
  12. Tanjint

Dec 21, 2015
    Sabotaging?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Denning had Krayt turn up way earlier than he should have given what Legacy set in flow and there were hints that he didn't consider the Legacy timeline to be the 'true' one.

All hugely irritating really.

14. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, not to mention that Invincible, for all its problems, sort of maybe set up a few Legacy threads. Apocalypse undid all that, in addition to other things, like what Jedi Ben mentioned. Really, if LotF and FotJ hadn't already long ago lost all credibility in terms of quality and sanity and logic, Apocalypse would have been the last straw. Dragging in that character, when there should be other available characters, just a waste of space and an awful plot.

Tanjint likes this.