main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Solo/Veila Resuscitation Association - A/T Challenge Thread: challenge #2 posted, July 9th!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Thrawn McEwok, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Hi, and welcome to The Solo/Veila Resuscitation Association, a place dedicated to spreading the love where Anakin/Tahiri stories are concerned.

The first thing I should say is that this is is not the only A/T challenge on the boards, nor the most prestigious. The Anakin 'n' Tahiri's Place thread over in the Writer's Resource forum has a regular fanfic challenge series, the latest installment of which can be found in most recent edition of the thread-based fanzine Anahiri.

In that challenge, a winning entry will be chosen by a panel of judges, and awarded a prize.

Here, there's no panel, no winner, and no prizes: the purpose of this challenge is simply to inspire A/T fanfic from you.

Got that? :D

The RULE...

There is just one fundamental rule here:

The story should be focused on A/T, and on the strength of their bond and relationship. It should be, in broad terms, positive about them, both as individuals and as a pairing.

There will be a new challenge every month. This month... we're simply giving you a set of five keywords to include in the 'fic. If that format proves good, we may continue with it in the future.

You must use the following words: pants, thong, bikini, barefoot, Ewok

Please get your story submitted by: 15th May.

Post your stories here, in this thread. I'll update the thread title to let people know when new stories have appeared.

There's no word-limit on entries, but each contribution should be contained in a single post.

If it develops into a longer multi-parter, you're welcome to continue it in a thread of its own, and link in from this thread. We're all about encouraging A/T 'fic, after all!!

Remember:

Space is Big.

Together... that's the important thing.

And have fun. A/T FTW!!

- The Imperial Ewok

2. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Yeeha - you're up and running. And ooh, those words could be a lot of fun.

Thanks for the link to the Anahiri challenge - most excellent. [:D] Looking forward to seeing a lot more A/T stuff. [face_love]

I'll attempt to come up with something for this as well as the Anahiri one. Nice to have two contrasting challenge themes to work with; that will get the A/T juices running.

3. EvieSolo

EvieSolo Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2005
    Awesome! :cool:

4. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Of course I might participate, only because I like Tahiri and I recently watched Return of the Jedi, which has Ewoks :B

5. EvieSolo

EvieSolo Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2005
    Note: Here's my contribution. I wrote it expecting that Tahiri is going to die in Invincible and wanting that to still be a happy ending for her. :p

[i][b]RESURRECTION[/b] [/i]

Tahiri Veila woke with a start, and found herself lying on her stomach on a bed of something soft and moist, with sunlight warming her back.

She opened her eyes and looked around. She was in a grassy clearing, surrounded by huge trees. In the distance she could make out a building... an old temple...

The sight dispelled any doubts she was having that this was Yavin 4. But it felt different. Surreal, somehow.

Tahiri began getting to her feet slowly, barefoot and wearing a standard StealthX jumpsuit, when she noticed a faint blue glow surrounding her body.

[i]Oh[/i], she thought, [i]I'm dead.[/i]

Distant memories flooded her mind. Of the civil war that was raging in the galaxy. For a moment she wondered what Jacen would do without her. If he had even survived himself. She had to admit she didn't really care. This hadn't exactly turned out as planned... She was dead.

Yet somehow she felt very much alive. More... [i]solid[/i] than she had expected one would feel as a Force ghost.

She shrugged to herself. [i]Time to find out what the repercussions are for budding Sith.[/i]

Sighing, she tried to decide which way to go, when she felt someone approaching from behind.

"About time, Tahiri", a growling voice said, filled with impatience that disolved into amusement and relief as she completed her turn, and she found herself being pulled into a kiss, arms sliding around her back, fingers tangling in her hair. She struggled a bit at first, outraged that someone dared kissing her just like that, but soon started to give in, enjoying it.

[i]This feels right. Familiar[/i], she thought as her arms slid around the other's neck. She didn't dare to open her eyes for a while after the kiss ended, not sure she wanted to face reality.

"Hey, it's okay. You can look. I'm not mutilated or anything", the other said with obvious amusement that ignited a spark of defiance in her. She wouldn't let someone who died at the age of seventeen make fun of her. That warranted a thorough whacking.

But when she opened her eyes and looked at Anakin Solo's grinning face all she could do was grin back. At least until she remembered where she was.

He frowned when he felt her spirits sink. "What's wrong?"

"Oh, Anakin. I did some terrible things. This has to be my punishment. I bet I'll have to watch you die every day until the end of time now." Her voice started breaking, her eyes welled up. Until he started chuckling.

"What's so funny about that, Dummy?" she asked, eyes narrowing.

"There is no punishment in the afterlife, Tahiri. Or rather, having time to think about the mistakes one has made during one's lifetime is probably punishment enough," Anakin answered, still visibly amused. "Besides, from what I've heard you really don't have much to worry about."

"But... but... I became Jacen's apprentice! He's a Sith now! And he killed your aunt, among millions of other beings!" She was trying to make him understand that her actions couldn't possibly go unpunished, much less be rewarded, but it seemed that nothing could wipe the stupid grin off his face.

"So I've heard. I'm pretty sure that will get me even higher in the rankings. Being able to say that my girlfriend is a Sith." It was starting to sound as if he was mocking her, now. She couldn't stop herself from punching his shoulder.

"Ow!" he complained, laughing. "Look, I'm serious. There's nothing to worry about. Those were Jacen's deeds. Besides, I've had to spend some time with Aunt Mara now and I can't even blame him for killing her. She might have made sense when I was young and impressionable, but these days she's just annoying. People like her and Uncle Luke shouldn't be allowed to procreate." He was still grinning, but seemed to be only half-joking.

"But they're the leaders of the Jedi Order", she retorted, baffled by his reaction.

An

6. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    So's your 'fic! :D [:D] :D

*elopes with first reply*, btw! :D

Tahi: have fun with the words!! :p

kecen: I like your logic!! :D

- The Imperial Ewok

7. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000

8. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Yay, the first entry [face_dancing]

Besides, I've had to spend some time with Aunt Mara now and I can't even blame him for killing her. She might have made sense when I was young and impressionable, but these days she's just annoying. People like her and Uncle Luke shouldn't be allowed to procreate." He was still grinning, but seemed to be only half-joking.

o_O

"Don't even get me started on them sending you to Dagobah for pointing out that Jacen could be in trouble."

Yeah, that was shameful.

"Unfortunately none of us have found out yet how to get Pellaeon to enjoy his cocktails wearing more than a thong.

[face_laugh] :_|

That's frightening :p

He winked, giving her a lopsided grin, and the world was all right again.
    She took his hand and pulled him closer again, grinning back and kissing him: "Together."

=D=

Perfect ending. And nice post, Evie :D Very creative idea. I'm always amazed at what people come up with for these challenges and you certainly have an original idea. I kind of like the idea of the Sith and Jedi mingling in the after life [face_mischief] Anakin reminded me a bit of his "Force ghost" in Traitor that was almost certainly Vergere [face_thinking] Not sure what to make of that.

Anyway, great interaction between Anakin and Tahiri and great work! :D

9. Jedi-Ant

Jedi-Ant Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2007
    Ooh... a new A/T post!!! :D

This is a cool idea for a thread, I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Oh, and I'll be back with a proper reply after I finish moving. ;) [face_peace]

Ant...

10. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Here is Mine. I might just make a seperate post if there's enough demand. Obligatory post-NJOness for you.

Tahiri, Don't Despair (a poem?)

Tahiri, don't despair.
    Although it's awful lonely;
    In the bathtub in the back room
    With the red tea stains
    Left over from the soak you took

It's been a year
    No two or three
    Since he alighted on the branch
    Of your favourite tree
    Anakin...
    And then you caught them with Maldova
    With their pants down underneath
    Anakin...

Tahiri, don't despair
    It's a sign of goodwill
    When he comes around
    In odor-ghost form
    To rescue young maidens in distress
    From their rapacious suitors

But not you

Not you

Although he means the best
    He only comes and goes
    Like strings of Ewok pelts
    Retrieved from the prefects's office

After the war was through
    The one to sort the spoils was you

In childhood there were stands like this
    Of fresh green fronds, swaying
    In the breeze of a captured planet
    You'd wade barefoot in the tall grass.
    But standing where you are
    It's farther and farther away.

Through the viewport of your house
    Where the summer shines through
    You can see a world without a home
    From star to star it roams

Perhaps like you

They named it Bikini, your newfound friends
    Three in all, holding a doll
    Made of n'amiq bones and satin
    But it's not exactly Anakin.

Perhaps he brought you a present once,
    Wrapped in ribbon, suitably named
    And he was familiar with the ways
    Of galactic consumers
    Of caf machines and churners
    The two of you should own.

But you don't.

There's a building ordinance,
    A machine ordinance

And so it remains fantasy
    Your dream, but not her's
    Not the other voice in your head.

Tahiri, don't despair;
    All that she needed
    Was your new life here;
    Pears in bowls in hair
    Basal holes in air
    And peace and quiet
    Was all that was needed
    By sweet Nen Yim.

You'd best follow, her
    And you'd be together
    The boy and you
    Hand in hand in the great unknown
    Where the waterbed touches
    Your family's Domain.

Tahiri, don't despair;
    Yalwe came over yesterday in a thong
    Holding a seafood platter
    Very apologetic about something
    He had done to you.
    It was certainly complimentary to his shape,
    having such a smooth profile
    Sans the shoulder spikes
    Sans the scars in his arms
    If it weren't for circumstance
    He'd belong in the sea with his ancestors
    Cackling, no hands, no tools.

He still doesn't understand the nuances of courtship
    Enough to appease the part of you
    That isn't Yuuzhan vong.

Shame, the size difference.
    You remind him of his lover
    Disintegrated on a strike team mission
    Into enemy territory.

All the cold, unfeeling machines in the galaxy,
    And all the unhappy beings
    Who linger in the wake.

Anakin shakes his head and places a hand on your shoulder.
    It is dark out now.
    You're wrapped in a blanket;
    Pastel blue, hint of grey veins.
    You could be touching a cloud.

Tahiri, don't despair;
    There's always tomorrow.
    Always tomorrow
    And you can imagine
    He's whispering in your ear.

11. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    Hi!

My entry is to be found here and is called The Latest News

- Mags

12. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    EvieSolo: I LOVE your fic. Swimsuits in the afterlife, that's the sort of thing I'd like! I wonder what happens to Yuuzhan Vong (or Ewoks for that matter, if it's species specific). Do Yuuzhies have souls? Would they be wearing thongs?

*needs to read the other entry too*

13. thusspakezarathustra

thusspakezarathustra Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2006
    Oh boy, these are really good. That poem was very clever indeed. :) Tahi bullied me into trying to do one, so I'll try and get one done before the deadline.... but if I don't it's her fault. :D

14. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    kecen: I'll have to spend a little more time before I give you a review (looks like what you wrote is just inside the "broadly positive" mandate for this thread :p) - but thanks for posting something!

Maggy: Post your stories here, in this thread. Do you want to post the 'fic in this thread, rather than just a link? If you do, I'll add your name to the thread title later (I'm going to give kecen the announcement today, though, as the header isn't really big enough for two). Thanks! :D

Thank you both!! :D [face_peace]

- The Imperial Ewok

15. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Evie - that was fantastic. I loved the idea of Tahiri reuniting with Anakin.

"It can be whatever you want it to be", Anakin said, grinning. Then he wrinkled his nose: "Unfortunately none of us have found out yet how to get Pellaeon to enjoy his cocktails wearing more than a thong. Jedi mind tricks don't work here. But maybe the Sith will succeed." He laughed as she struck out at him again before they continued walking, the jungles of Yavin 4 giving way to a sunny and populated beach.
    Your version of the afterlife is cool - even if it means seeing old jokers in thongs! [face_hypnotised]

Tahiri noticed Mara Jade-Skywalker sitting at the bar next to a cloaked figure surrounded by a red glow. Her eyebrows shot up when she looked at Anakin for confirmation. "Is that...?" He nodded in response: "Yup. They've been catching up a lot lately." He added a grin.
    :D I have this kind of vision of the lands of the dead as a funkied up version of the Mos Eisley Cantina.

Your Anakin was rather tasty. ;)

kecen - great to see you here. I loved your poem - so wistful and full of longing.

In childhood there were stands like this
    Of fresh green fronds, swaying
    In the breeze of a captured planet
    You'd wade barefoot in the tall grass.
    But standing where you are
    It's farther and farther away.

That really hit me - the sense of her good memories receding. Very sad, but the imagery is beautiful. :)

Tahiri, don't despair;
    Yalwe came over yesterday in a thong
    Holding a seafood platter
    Very apologetic about something
    He had done to you.
    It was certainly complimentary to his shape,
    having such a smooth profile
    Sans the shoulder spikes
    Sans the scars in his arms
    If it weren't for circumstance
    He'd belong in the sea with his ancestors
    Cackling, no hands, no tools.

I love the way you write the YV - it's so empathetic. And I liked that description of Yalwe. I gather he's trying to court Tahiri. A brave bloke to come courting her wearing a thong - and may I say, it's a rather appealing image. I see your trademary dolphin imagery there. :)

You remind him of his lover
    Disintegrated on a strike team mission
    Into enemy territory.

Then they have a lot in common. ;)

All the cold, unfeeling machines in the galaxy,
    And all the unhappy beings
    Who linger in the wake.

That's exactly how it is now. :( Beautifully said, too.

Anakin shakes his head and places a hand on your shoulder.
    It is dark out now.
    You're wrapped in a blanket;
    Pastel blue, hint of grey veins.
    You could be touching a cloud.

Tahiri, don't despair;
    There's always tomorrow.
    Always tomorrow
    And you can imagine
    He's whispering in your ear.

That's so sad - the sense that regardless of suitors and everything, Tahiri is still without Anakin, and somehow the galaxy is dark, stifling, bland and everything's kind of muffled and muted.

I really like the poem - it DOES celebrate the bond between the two by showing how sad the universe is without it. =D= Highly original piece.

Mags - I'll follow your link and post on the thread. :)

Zara
    Oh pish! I'm not bullying you - I'm encouraging you. [face_devil] ;)

16. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Great poem, Kecen =D= :D

17. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Maggy: Hehe, each new response here makes me like the pairing more and more. Who would of thought, the papparazzi pairing Anakin and Mara? Here goes the Britney Spears songs.
    Now, Jacen and Nen Yim...

YodaKenobi: Thank Ye. I get this feeling that poetry makes people go eergh because they expect it to be bad goth angst, but I guess it's a lot better when read out loud.

Tahi: I made a seperate thread for the poem. I was concerned about making it too sad (due to the time period it's set in), but now that you put it that way...

18. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Well I sure don't see it as bad goth angst - far from it. And yes I agree that poems should be read out loud or at least mouthed. LOL I liked the rhythm in your poem - it captured the cadences of a voice that was both wistful and pensive. I liked the fact the poem was a kind of apostrophe, addressed to Tahiri. :)

19. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Tahi: When I started, I was planning on making it singable, and recording myself performing it (as with one of my other poems). Sort of like Hey There Delilah.

20. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I just discovered this and have taken the April challenge to heart. It will be my nect fic.

Don't let this die, TMcE! Keep the challenges going!

21. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    You may be interested to know that one of the responses to the last challenge, "The Latest News" by Maggy, is the subject of today's A/T 'fic review, part of a daily series that you can find the links to here! :D

Stay tuned for more on the next Solo/Veila Resuscitation Association challenge in the next few days!! :D

- The Imperial Ewok

22. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I thought I read that a new challenge was supposed to appear here on Tuesday?

Today is Wednesday...

:p

23. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Okay! For this month's A/T challenge, I originally planned to release a "How Anakin Could Fix This Mess" bunny.

Then during a random googling, I discovered that I'd already posted one over in WR two years ago. I bounced it up to the top of the page, and it's currently there to inspire you. Head over to check it out?

With that out of the way, I want to draw your attention to the real challenge for July! For this month's A/T challenge, we're trying something a little different: co-authored 'fic!

The basic idea is this: you write a 'fic together. It should be just one post, but there's no word-limit, and very little limit in the way of themes.

You can choose your own writing partner, and you don't have to just write one entry, with just one partner. If this works out, we may try randomized partners in future, but for now, it's up to you to pair off for the writing. You're welcome to declare your partnerships or appeal for co-writers here in the thread, but that's not obligatory.

The important thing is to produce good A/T 'fic. I'll remind you of this thread's standing rule: The story should be focused on A/T, and on the strength of their bond and relationship. It should be, in broad terms, positive about them, both as individuals and as a pairing.

Only one other condition: this challenge is being done in association with the First Sentence Challenge, and you must begin with one of the sentences being offered this month. The first went online last week:

There wasn?t a bacta tank in the galaxy that could heal her mind from the terror that haunted her dreams....

:eek: And... GO!!

- The Imperial Ewok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.