main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Son of Skywalker???

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Xio, Nov 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xio

Xio Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2003
    I'm sorry, but I'm new to the thread and do not know if this question has already been posted. It happens so that I have been troubled by a scene in TESB where the Emperor tells Vader that "the son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi". Does he mean the son of Luke or Anikin. And if in fact he means Anikin, why doesn't he simply say "your son". Can someone please help? If this question has been posted, I appologize.

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    He's referring to Luke. Remember, as far as the Emperor and Vader were concerned, Anakin Skywalker did not exist, so it made sense to refer to him as another person entirely.

3. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    WELCOME TO THE BOARDS

beware Dark Lady Mara and Errant_Venture. They are out for forum domination

4. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    He means Luke.

5. DarthDrew

DarthDrew Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 26, 2002
    Of course, I've always wondered why, in Ep II, Palpy brings Padme & Anni back together. It's seemingly on purpose. Do you think it's a plan gone awry? or do you think that he thought ahead to everything up to Vader betraying him?

6. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    i assume it's part of the elaborate scheme. There is the threat of Anakin starting on the light side, he can denounce his anger easier and be a threat to him. with two babies, he can mold them from youth, without the infants knowing anything about good.

7. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Well if Lucas had made the line "Your son", it would have ruined the suprise of Vader being Luke's father for the audience when TESB came out in 1980. It's a moot point now since the PT "ruins" the suprise.

8. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    my kids are going to watch the OT first.

9. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    He's referring to Luke. Anakin Skywalker ceased to exist when he was consumed by the Dark side, so it was inappropriate to call Vader by his former name.

10. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I agree with what's been said so far that when Anakin fell to the Dark Side. This was the death of Anakin Skywalker and the birth of Darth Vader.

-Jedi Master Zax Starwalker

11. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    i assume it's part of the elaborate scheme. There is the threat of Anakin starting on the light side, he can denounce his anger easier and be a threat to him. with two babies, he can mold them from youth, without the infants knowing anything about good.

You might be over-analyzing there just a bit.

Aside from the Dark Side, it seems from the PT that one of the biggest prohibitions a Jedi faces is falling in love.

Now, Palpy knows that Anakin has a thing for Padme so he puts them together hoping that Anakin's infatuation can lure him away from the rest of the Jedi, thereby making it easier to turn Anakin to the Dark Side.

12. Obi-Wan_and_only

Obi-Wan_and_only Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2001
    As others have said, as far as Vader and Plapy are concerned, Anakin Skywalker no longer exists.

13. Marbe

Marbe Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    YES, WELCOME TO THE BOARDS, XIO!

As has been said above, Vader and Palps considered Anakin Skywalker a separate entity from Darth Vader. When Anakin became Vader, he ceased to be Anakin any longer. Therefore Luke is not Vader's son, but Skywalker's.

Oh and as for the mods - my suggestion is that you show just a tad more fear for DLM than for E_V. She seems to appreciate terror better ;)

14. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    Not many people (not even high ranking Imperials) knew that Darth Vader, Sith Lord was once Anakin Skywalker, Jedi hero of the Clone Wars. Palpatine villainized the Jedi after the Clone Wars, so he wouldn't want anyone to know that his right hand man used to be one. Vader and the Emperor couldn't be absolutely certain that one of their officers weren't spying on their conversations. Also, in the EU, Prince Xizor is present with the Emperor when he contacts Vader in ESB. After the conversation ends, Xizor reveals to Palpatine that he already knows that Vader was once Skywalker. Also in the EU, it was established that Vader attempted to destroy all traces of Anakin Skywalker. Palpatine knows that Vader hates his former identity because he "let" his mother die, and accidentally killed his wife so he's not going to piss him off by bringing up his old identity. After all, the Emperor calls him "my friend".

15. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    "Palpatine villainized the Jedi after the Clone Wars, so he wouldn't want anyone to know that his right hand man used to be one."

Hmmm... I think Palpatine not only will villainize the Jedi, but Force-users in general. This is why no one knows he's Force-sensitive. Vader, on the other hand, is a different story.

Tarkin and Motti both refer to Vader as a the last surviving member of the Jedi Order. The thing the public doesn't know is that he's not a Jedi, but a Sith. If they knew that there were other types of Force-users out there, then, in Palpatine's paranoid mind, he becomes a suspect.

16. DarthNigel

DarthNigel Jedi Master star 3

Jul 14, 2003
    At the point of Vader's talk with the Emperor, the only information we had about Anakin and Vader was what Obi-Wan told Luke in ANH: Vader "betrayed and murdered your father".

Also, Yoda in the next scene tells Luke that Anakin was a "powerful Jedi".

It would make sense that if that were the case, the Emperor would be interested in keeping Anakin's son from becoming a Jedi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.