main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "The Songs of Yun-Bantha" 8/? (AU - late Vong War; NJO, Psylocke, others; updated 12/10)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Onderon1, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    WarmNyota: Thanks! :D This little sequence is quite fun - I wrote it both for a friend, and to scratch my own itch AFA filling in what was missing. :)

Another bit here - with some context on that Ganner and Kyp snark-chat after the wedding - and, of course - the bachelor and bachelorette parties. [face_blush]

(I don't think it gets OTT - but mods, let me know if it does?)

-------------------------

"... don't know where they get these ideas that I'm gonna do anything that crazy - just a night at the cantina!"

Ganner had - very deliberately - gotten a non-alcoholic brew; he'd dreaded this moment for weeks, although Jacen and Chewbacca were both supportive (and, to be honest, Ganner was far more afraid of Princess Leia, but she'd accepted him).

Still, even as advanced as Kryta is about some things, there's a fairly intimidating aspect of sitting down alone with your future father-in-law ... ESPECIALLY when he's Han Solo ...

Chewie growled something over the rather bad cantina band music, while Jacen - who was sitting on Ganner's side of the booth - smiled a bit (that beard he'd grown looked weird, Ganner thought, wishing he could be more charitable).

Jacen whispered, "Have you heard about how my folks eloped to Dathomir? Winter's suspicions aren't totally off base."

"Wait, that whole story's actually true?" Ganner asked, stunned - he'd heard the tales, but hadn't believed them - !

Jacen sighed, half-smiling, as Han and Chewie finished bantering and Han looked at Ganner in a hard-to-read manner.

Here it comes, Ganner worried, taking a deep breath, but the legendary Corellian smuggler cut him off with a stare.

"Rhysode ... when I first met you, you had to be about - what, 14, 15? A cocky little twerp who liked to show off moving rocks with his mind, one of Luke's top apprentices. Kyp talked up a storm about 'the amazing prodigy we found on Teyr, of all places.' Typical Kyp, I thought - proud and joking, all at once," Han began, fortifying himself with a sip of Whyren's.

He sat back a bit, shaking his head as he continued, "But then, this damn war started. By then, you'd gotten your Knighthood - and more attitude, don't think I've forgotten that - but ... you started to be somebody. What you did for Corran on Bimmiel - maybe you were cocky, but you stood up for another Jedi. That meant something. And Garqi - well, you helped one of my sons get back home safely. And you paid for that, I know - pride costs more than people think."

Ganner turned a bit red from embarrassment; his scar still occasionally ached at times, but he was glad of it. It - with Jaina and the boys - kept him honest, and reminded him to fight for the right reasons.

He looked at Han, who'd - well, Han Solo never particularly softened (he did make silly faces at Rian and Roan, but only when he thought nobody was looking). But the older man had lost his distant stare, and looked personable.

"Most importantly, though ... you kept my little girl from going down her grandfather's path. And - you gave me one of my grandsons. NOT that I'm exactly happy about the order of the events - but still. Thank you," Han said, turning stern for a moment before giving Ganner an echo of his usual smirk, and toasting him before finishing his drink.

"You're welcome - Han. And thank you for bringing a truly wonderful woman into the galaxy for me to be lucky enough to be marrying tomorrow," Ganner said, giving Han a respectful nod while Chewie rumbled happily and Jacen grinned.

"Yeah ... woman. Stang, she was digging around in Coruscant's underground with Zekk just yesterday, it feels like," Han said, growing distant and staring into his empty glass.

He gave Ganner a slightly-embarrassed glance, quickly adding, "Not that I really wanted Jaina to end up with Zekk. Good guy, don't get me wrong, but - he always felt a little like he was born to keep moving. A drifter ... heh. Reminds me of me, just with less humor. Look who he ended up with, though. Padme'. They make a good couple."

"That they do. Zekk treats Grandma respectfully, and he's learned enough not to repeat Grandfather's mistakes," Jacen agreed, digging into some spiced nuna wings (he and Ganner had agreed to make sure they ate enough, just in case drinks did start flowing - not that either was actually having alcohol, but drink orders had been known to get switched).

Han nodded at Jacen, then glanced across the cantina, and Ganner felt a little chilled as he saw a familiar face at the bar.

Kyp merely nodded, turning back to his drink with a somber expression, while Jacen muttered, "Of all the cantinas ..."

"Hey - hey. I know you an' Kyp've got issues, Jacen, but he's got his own burdens. And I ain't talkin' Carida," Han said, giving Durron a sympathetic look before half-smiling at Ganner and taking another swig.

Ganner felt - jealousy? - as he asked, "Kyp can't possibly be -"

"Not until just recently, no. Kyp's decent, underneath all the self-destructive shavit and the guilt he carries. But I'd seen some of the looks he gave Jaina since Duro. In another universe ... ? But you and Fel came along first," Han said, shrugging.

He brightened, then, pointing a finger at Ganner, but in a friendly manner, as he said, "And you're not Jag Fel. I knew that stuck-up, no-good Imperial twerp was bad for Jaina - not that I blame Roan for his dad's bad behavior. But loving Shawnkyr while telling Jaina he loved her ... Fel might not've meant to hurt Jaina, but he still hurt her. I don't forgive that easily."

Ganner was going to keep quiet, but interjected, "I'll respect Jaina, Han - love and protect her, and give her her space when she needs it. I promise you that."

Han grew serious, nodding at Ganner. "And that's why I didn't tear into you after I found out - well, you know. You've grown up, Ganner. Some guys your age find out they're going to be dads, they haul jets and leave the girl to deal with the aftermath. You, though - you never complained. You manned up and stood by Jaina," he said, pride in his voice.

Ganner tried not to blush again, especially when Han muttered, "For all his faults, Fel tries to do right by Roan. But duty's Jag's first real love - that, and piloting. You, at least, aren't likely to get vaped in some furball ... damn Fel, anyway ..."

Jacen looked concerned, but Han just chuckled a little and nodded, tossing some coins on the table. "You two don't stay out too late. C'mon, Chewie - I need to walk this off a little, and I ain't in the mood to risk tumbling over a railing and becoming krakana bait," he said, waving as he and Chewie left.

Jacen slipped around the table and sat across from Ganner, who glanced at Kyp and asked, "Do you think I should ask - ?"

The younger Jedi scowled a bit again, finally shrugging. "I'm biased against Durron - I admit it. Carida's trotted out too often for why people don't like him, and I think that's unfair to judge him over - he was a young victim, being influenced by a Sith spirit. It's Durron's attitude NOW - and hypocrisy over it - that makes me unable to tolerate him for long. He said he gave up pride at Ithor, but did he? And ... Jaina's too good for him," Jacen said, sounding ashamed of himself at the end.

He gave Ganner a wry smile and added, "Not that I've got the high ground. My time with the Vong made me stare at some unpleasant parts of myself. I'm not the Jedi ideal - I get that now. We all have to find our own path in the Force."

Ganner munched a nuna leg, impressed with Jacen's realization. "You've grown up, too," he said, and Jacen laughed a bit.

"Thanks - but the answer to that is both yes and no," Jacen admitted, growing - wistful?

He blushed a bit as a redhead strolled into the cantina, turning heads in a sleek scaled armor outfit - and winked at Jacen.

Ganner couldn't help but grin as Jacen shrugged, smiling as he admitted, "First crushes are hard to forget ... excuse me."

The cantina went a little quiet as Jacen and Tenel Ka slipped into each others' arms - well, arm, in Tenel's case. The band shifted to a slow dance number, letting the - yes, couple - savor each other, finally getting their happy ever after.

For his part, Kyp looked positively shocked, but Ganner nodded with approval.

Oh, Jacen. At times, growing up is less about moving forward, and more about who's been with you all along, he thought, happy for his soon-to-be brother-in-law - and hoping Jaina was having a good time, wherever she was.

--------------------------

"Crazy flame priestesses, snarky special agents, and a tank of a felinoid with a fiery sword? I should visit Teyr more often."

Jaina laughed a little, shaking her head at Mara - who was already on her second mug of Tarisian ale, but only had a slight flush to her cheeks - as Mirax (who, of course had declared "BACHELORETTE PARTY!!") and, of all sentients, Saba Sebatyne, sat with them at a rather seedy lower-level cantina.

"The stories don't get out very much about Teyr. It's the whole 'glad for your visit, please don't stay' thing their government - well, the allied governments - put out. I really don't see how a mass exodus of Teyrian natives leaving the planet could disrupt the ecosystem," Mirax wondered, shaking her head with confusion.

Saba sissed with approval, waving over a male waiter in rather tight shorts and a sleeveless shirt. "Thisz one believesz the strugglesz on hisz homeworld made Ganner strong. Hisz time as a Jedi, though - and asz your partner, Jaina - hasz made him wise. Thisz one approvesz of your bonding," the Barabel Jedi Master said, ordering another round of drinks.

Jaina gave the senior Jedi a grateful nod, noticing how Saba - well, ogled the waiters ... and she realized where they were.

"You didn't," she mock-accused Mara, who merely smirked as Mirax grinned and Saba - well, sissed merrily.

"Winter means well. But among the four of us, let's be honest - there's not an Alderaanian court to scandalize, really. I'm not trying to be mean, but nobody's been exactly holding you to the Leia Organa standard ... other than yourself," Mara said, not unkindly.

Jaina tried not to squirm - she'd been expecting this conversation at some point. "I'm not any more," she replied.

Mara nodded with approval. "Rhysode wouldn't've been my first choice, before - everything. But he's been a man - a good man - through all of this, more than I'd given him credit for. And ... maybe I'm realizing, belatedly, I might've biased you about what kind of man to look for. 'Overprotective aunt' isn't a flattering title," she said, looking annoyed with herself.

"You care, though. Mara, that means everything to me - especially given everything you went through before, having Ben and dealing with the spores," Jaina said, reaching across the table to squeeze Mara's hands.

The older woman shared a rare, open smile, then smirked again and said, "I had a firebird in my head and had to burn out killer Vong spores, and you sped up your kids' growth. Someday, someone in this family has to have a normal pregnancy."

Jaina couldn't help but laugh, while Saba sissed and Mirax shook her head, grinning a little. "For all his - foibles - Corran's steady. And Ganner brought him back home to me and the kids. For that alone, I'd be happy for you and Ganner to get together, Jaina. But you're also a really sweet couple. Your boys are adorable, Ganner's a great dad - I'm happy for you," the "procurer" said, and Jaina thanked Mirax before the music grew louder ... with a bit more grind.

Saba positively bounced away from the table toward the stage, while Mirax managed to look embarrassed and said, "I'd - better just keep her out of trouble. A Barabel in a fight over who gets - souvenirs - could be ... messy."

Jaina shook her head, grinning despite herself as several male dancers appeared on stage and a crowd of females of various species got up and started cheering. She gave Mara an amused look and said, "'Souvenirs,' huh?"

Mara just replied with an arch expression and a simple, "Jedi adapt to the occasion. Even if it is a strip club."

She grew more serious, and Jaina knew there was more that Mara had been wanting to discuss. "What you said earlier, about 'holding myself to a standard' - you never spoke against me and Jag, other than the warnings you gave me a while back about most guys ... which I completely ignored," Jaina queried, old embarrassment flickering for a moment.

Mara held her gaze, suddenly quite sober as she replied, "That - was different. You thought you were in a committed relationship with Fel. And - true, it wasn't just my upbringing that made me think I should keep my nose out of your business. Fel seemed steady, loyal - and, yeah, highborn. It's not your fault he betrayed you, even if only in his sleep."

Jaina gave Mara a grateful look, then asked, "If Kyp didn't have all his baggage - would you approve of him?"

"You mean, if he was just a Force-strong fisherman from Deyer?" Mara replied, thinking for a long moment. "Honestly, that's a good question. I married a Force-strong farmboy from Tatooine, so I shouldn't put on airs ... but I do. Difference is, I'm honest about it - I own my hypocrisy. Although, given who Farmboy's mother is, he's technically noble-born."

She gave Jaina a piercing, if kind, look, and said, "Don't tell me you're having second thoughts about Durron."

"No. I love Ganner. It's more - what ifs, as the wedding gets closer. Kyp's and my relationship has been - complicated since I turned 18, but I never felt like he wanted to force me into anything - well, there was Sernpidal, but that wasn't romantic. Ever since the twins were born, though, he hasn't even said anything to me - good or bad. Dad says Kyp's always positive when Dad shows new holos of the babies around, so it's not like Kyp hates them ... " Jaina tried to piece together.

Sithspawn - he's HEARTBROKEN!? But ... why should he be immune ... he's a person, not some combat droid, Jaina realized, feeling horrible until she looked at Mara, who'd lowered her shields and smiled sadly at her niece.

"You're a young, vibrant, talented woman who found the strength to overcome not only the seeming loss of both of your brothers, but successfully bore, and are raising, two wonderful, healthy little boys. If you hadn't broken someone's heart - even unintentionally - I'd've been sad for you, because you would've been woefully underappreciated," Mara said.

Jaina wiped away tears - happy ones, this time - and replied, "I didn't manage to get this far alone, though."

Mara nodded, sipping her ale before growing serious again. "Rhysode's a good man, true. Him, I don't have any doubts about, not any more. It's his planet that - let's not say, worries me, because hey, I'm Mara Jade, I don't do worried. But ... that crowd earlier today in your conapt. You're marrying someone from a rather rustic world that's at war," she said.

Jaina nodded, taking a deep breath; Teyr - Tyria - was certainly complicated, but she'd seen how happy - and conflicted - Ganner had been to greet visitors from his homeworld.

"Ganner's still making peace with how he left his family behind - he misses Teyr, and his native country of Kryta, terribly, but he's got so much guilt over jumping feet-first into being a Jedi. Plus, I'm sure the last thing Ganner would do is put us at risk needlessly by settling down on Teyr with those 'Elder Dragons' running loose. He's never demanding, or fanatic or bullying, Mara. I've finally found a man who treats me like a queen - and who doesn't mind changing diapers or getting up at 3 a.m.," Jaina explained, finishing with a smile.

Mara hefted her mug of ale, and Jaina echoed the gesture with her shuura juice (one good thing about still breastfeeding the twins was that she had a built-in reason to decline alcohol, so she could dodge potential pre-wedding catastrophe).

"To the good men. When they commit, they're worth more than the Crown Jewels of Alderaan," Mara said.

"To the good men," Jaina agreed, blushing when a sudden loud ruckus from the front of the club proved to be Saba geting a little too close to one of the dancers, and Mirax struggling to pull the Barabel away before the bouncers noticed.

Mara killed her ale and stood, smirking as she said, "I better go help Mirax. Last thing we need is to land in a cell again."

--------------------------------

to be continued ... :p

2. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Looks like the bachelorette party turned out wilder than the bachelor party.....

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Adored the Mara and Jaina talk. You really have Mara's candor and warmth down pat. She's not a gushy type of warm LOL but you never doubt her true and genuine affection & respect. [face_love]

4. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    All: Thanks. :D We know that Mara and Mirax got themselves in some unspecified trouble in canon at some point, but IIRC, it was never clarified (my headcanon is that it involved Mirax becoming angry at a Selonian fangirl of Corran's, but YMMV ... [face_blush]).

And I'm glad Mara's on point - as you note, WarmNyota, Mara isn't one for gushing expression, but she absolutely has your back when you need it. :D

Another quick flashback update - another couple remain (this actually ended up as a 5-part 'fic of its own, but flashbacking here works better, IMHO, than asking readers to try and parse a Jaina/Ganner wedding 'fic without proper context ... [face_blush]

A critical appearance, here, by one of Jaina's oldest friends - and a rescue we didn't get soon enough in canon! - while Luke meets more challenging questioners of Jedi orthodoxy ... :p

---------------------------

Some wedding traditions, Jaina thought, were just ridiculous - but she rather appreciated the one about the bride and groom not seeing each other before the ceremony. Absence made the heart grow fonder, as Mom said. Ganner would spend the night at Lowbacca's, while Jaina and the boys stayed at the conapt.

She'd slipped away from Mara and the rest of the bachelorette party, wanting to clear her head - it sure felt like there were a hundred trampling banthas running around, even as she was happy - and she smiled as Lowie waved to her.

Jaina slipped down the walkway overlooking the ocean, hugging her old friend, and said, "Thanks again - for everything your family does for mine, for looking out for us. And for agreeing to be Ganner's best sentient tomorrow."

Lowie wurffle'd a happy reply, grinning fangily as he regaled Jaina with the story of how he'd tried to pick out a tie to wear.

Jaina couldn't help but laugh - Lowie certainly wouldn't mind, and he found it amusing, after all.

She was nearly in stitches by the time he told her how he'd nearly throttled the protocol droid at the clothing store when it'd suggested pink dots.

The big Wook grew unusualy quiet as they found themselves at the docking bay, and Jaina gently squeezed his upper arm, concerned - until she saw where he was looking. "The Ksstarr," she noted, walking toward the frigate analogue.

Jaina heard Lowie give a low, rumbling warning - not angry, but nervous, and she asked him, "What might I not like?"

Lowie scratched the back of his head, then warbled a long growl that made Jaina's eyebrows raise - it sounded crazy.

"Wait - wait - you're experimenting with a dovin basal and some of Bangor's cells? Lowie, I know teleportation would give us an incredible advantage in the war, but there's reasons it's so rare. Outside of an Infinity Gate or the Aing-Tii, 'porting isn't a very common ability, and it'd need a skilled farseer to make sure the jump doesn't go badly," Jaina pointed out.

But his look of loss, and the grief he radiated, made her hug the Wookiee and say, "Still, it's a noble goal - finding Tahiri."

She took a deep breath - Jaina didn't dare risk Anakin and Tahiri's deep-cover mission on Coruscant to rally the Shamed Ones, but neither was she about to risk Lowbacca getting hurt as he tried to "rescue" Tahiri.

She looked up at him and started to speak, but a sudden mental voice interjected, ~There you are, Jaina. I was running a perimeter sweep of the Jedi quarters, and Leia asked me to check on you.~

"Betsy!" Jaina exclaimed, glad of the interruption, as the purple-haired Jedi telepath strode over from the Angel's Wing, her customized Lambda-class shuttle. Betsy Braddock smiled as Jaina explained the situation to her mentally.

After a moment, the older human woman nodded, and sent, ~Well, I'm sure we could trust Lowbacca with the news of Tahiri's survival. Anakin's escape, though - well, I'd still trust Lowie, but there may be other listeners ...~

Betsy turned to Lowie and concentrated. After a moment, the Wookiee's mood brightened a great deal as he rumbled his relief that Tahiri was just under deep cover on Coruscant - he wanted to help her, but he knew he'd stand out badly.

Jaina hugged him, relieved that he was so understanding. She looked up at Lowie, then added, "You're right, though. We need to see if we can find anyone else who isn't accounted for from the strike team. But - that only really leaves Raynar."

Lowie's eyes widened, and he turned to Betsy, barking excitedly as Jaina strained to understand. She got the gist of what her friend meant, and Betsy nodded, replying, "Yes, I'd be happy to use my farsight - but a time portal? It's risky."

"Not if we keep it brief and don't try too much. Lowie, let's play this safe, please?" Jaina asked as they boarded the Ksstarr.

Lowie agreed - reluctantly - and led the women to a tool-covered chamber that was as much a hydroponics facility as a repair shop. The whole place stank of organic matter and grease, and Jaina couldn't help but think it was just ... weird.

Heh. Not three months ago,
    I'd've been in here with my arms in a dovin basal up to the elbow, rewiring it. Must be my maternal instincts. I'd never bring the boys anywhere near here, not until they're much older, she thought, reaching through the Force to check on them.

Jaina smiled as she sensed her sons' sleepy minds dreaming innocent, unformed dreams, and brushed them gently, radiating gratitude as her mother sent back happy support as well. (Jaina didn't reach for Ganner, trusting he was OK.)

Then, Jaina focused on the scene before her, watching as Lowie powered up a dovin basal that had way too many cybernetics attached to it, before asking Betsy to focus.

The older Jedi did so, closing her eyes, and Jaina felt the Force flow through Betsy and into Lowie as he made micro-adjustments to the dovin basal ... and the air about a meter away from the device started to crackle with green lightning.

"I'm trying to focus on Em-Teedee, since he was so connected to Lowie - and since Raynar was carrying the droid when he vanished, from what you told me. It's not easy - but I'll do my best," Betsy promised, squinting, and the Force intensified.

Jaina watched as the sphere of green energy grew into a portal, and the air in the lab seemed to thicken and slow - flashes of distant worlds, faces both familiar and otherwise, appeared in the portal, and she tried not to stare too long.

There's a real risk of going crazy - no wonder I never learned to farsee. Let Jasa have the wild visions, Jaina thought, as the portal seemed to stabilize - but the view through it was one of fire, sparks, twisted metal, and angry shouts.

Two dark-robed figures flashed past, apparently chasing a man in a combat jumpsuit - whom Jaina grabbed telekinetically.

She pulled, just as the dovin basal started to whine and Betsy broke into a sweat, shouting, "I'm losing the lock -!"

"GOT him!" Jaina yelled, heaving her rescuee - a bruised, soot-covered, but otherwise seemingly OK young man with dirty blond hair and widening blue eyes - through the portal, just before it imploded.

The Jedi fell to the Ksstarr's deck, and Lowie had to take a fire extinguisher to the dovin basal. Jaina helped Betsy up, and they checked on the still-gasping, but happy, escapee, who rose slowly and broke into an amazed smile.

"Lady Braddock -? JAINA!? You're alive! And you saved me - thank you! Where are we - are the others -?" Raynar Thul asked.

Jaina could only smile as Lowie finished putting out the fire, and she ruffled Raynar's hair. "You're welcome - and welcome back. We've got a LOT to talk about," she said, helping Raynar out of the frigate analogue, then grinning as he did a double-take at Lowie.

The Wookiee roared for joy, almost crushing Raynar in a hug - then, warbled with annoyance as a Core-accented voice rang from inside Raynar's ripped combat suit, "Well, I never! We survive hyperspace and Dark Jedi, and no welcome for me?"

Jaina couldn't help but laugh as Em-Teedee, Lowie's old floating translator droid, hovered at the Wookiee's shoulder, and the two launched into a familiar banter while several other Jedi and the emergency flight crew ran over, amazed.

"RAYNAR!!! How in the - no, never mind, you're alive!" Jacen cheered, clapping the Alderaanian man on the back as Raynar hugged him and Tenel Ka, then knelt to greet Tekli. She hugged him with one arm, the other holding a bioscanner, and Jaina felt relief as the Chadra-Fan verified that yes, it was, in fact, their old friend (she'd been sure, but better to know).

Raynar grew sad, then, and Jaina knew what he might ask - she wasn't sure how to avoid revealing Anakin and Tahiri's survival, and Raynar did deserve to know - but he brightened as Ganner ran over, surprise turning to a happy smile.

They clasped forearms, and Ganner gave Jaina an embarrassed look until Tenel Ka exclaimed, "Go! Take Raynar to Lowbacca's with you and loan him some spare clothes. You are not to see Jaina before your wedding, remember?"

Raynar's shocked expression made Jaina laugh with amused joy as her old friend blurted, "Jaina's marrying Ganner!?"

"Oh, the wedding's not the wildest part. Wait until you meet our children," Ganner laughed, walking with Raynar.

--------------------------

"So, let me get this straight, 'Master' Skywalker. You and your students run around with energy swords, lifting rocks, messing with minds, and fighting for 'the light side' - yet you call it peacekeeping when you take off some idiot's hand?"

Luke had been intrigued at the chance to meet Force-adepts from non-Jedi traditions, so he'd asked to meet with the Teyrian delegates over dinner at one of the higher-quality restaurants in Heurkea during the pre-wedding celebrations.

It was proving ... interesting.

"Well, Tribute Brimstone, unlike the Old Jedi Order, I've never ignored the reality that sometimes Jedi must fight. It's just that we try to approach it from the goal of ending fights quickly. We don't revel in battle," Luke explained as he nibbled on some fish (it was the freshest guaranteed dish on Mon Cala - synth-meat just lacked the same vitality).

Rytlock flicked an eyebrow upward, his four ears twitching as he tore into what looked like it might've come from a krakana the charr had killed himself. (The serrated, burned edges of the meat hinted that Rytlock had carved it with his flaming sword - evidently a sacred weapon to the Krytan humans, from what Ganner had said before going to the cantina).

Exemplar Kerida of the Shining Blade smirked at Rytlock and jabbed, "Charr are known for their - revelry. The bloody kind."

"Cute, Exemplar. We enjoy a good fight, sure, but we don't worship it like the Mandos do - or used to, so I hear. Like them, we had an uppity bunch of so-called 'gods' who bossed us around. Difference is, ours were fakes created by a rogue 'god' of the humans, Abaddon. We took his 'Titans' down, and threw down their Flame Legion cultists," Rytlock sniffed.

He gave Luke a fangy grin and added, "Yeah, our humor's as hard as we are. But at least if we're going to take off a hand, we're honest with ourselves about why we're doing it. And I'd rather stare in a glass after a battle than into my navel - there's more truth in a good ale than some magical energy field."

Valia, the human priestess of the Krytan war-god Balthazar, gave Rytlock a rather nasty frown and said, "One can't fully appreciate war unless one also studies peace, Tribune. But then, the way you treat Sohothin, your ignorance is obvious."

"What? You think I underestimate this sword's power? Look, little girl, I've put Sohothin to better use than probably any of your clergy would've. Weapons like this deserve to be fielded, NOT stuck away in some shrine and bowed to. Taking down a worthy opponent? That's how you respect a blade, cudgel, or firearm - that, and safe handling, of course," the charr rumbled back, annoyed.

Krann, the asuran "technomancer" whom Ganner said had been his first teacher, harrumphed from further down the table. "Weapons, the 'Force,' spells - it's all part of the Eternal Alchemy to us asura," the rodent-like sentient said.

Luke gave Krann a curious glance and asked, "Pardon me, Researcher, but I didn't meet any of your people when I visited Pyre Folas - or Garenhoff, as I understand it's called on Tyria. What is this Eternal Alchemy?"

Krann sat up a little straighter, clearly glad to be recognized. "The short version, Master Skywalker, is that we asura believe all things on Tyria, and in the Mists that sit alongside Tyria's physical realm, are interconnected through the Eternal Alchemy. The Mists are - for lack of a better term - an astral or ethereal realm, perhaps best described as analogous to when one of you Jedi become one with the Force upon death. The difference is, there can be portals to access the Mists from the physical realm, although such journeys bear their own dangers," he explained between bites of his dinner.

"The Mists are a common link between many Tyrian religions, Master Skywalker. We norn believe that our surviving guardian Spirits of the Wild - Bear, Raven, Snow Leopard, and Wolf - are in the Mists, and deserve reverence, but not worship. They're guides, not gods, and they encourage us to stay in balance with the land," Eir Stegalkin interjected.

Rytlock nodded with some respect to Eir, adding, "We charr might not agree with everything the norn believe in, but at least their belief system encourages action. And it doesn't hurt that their spirits give them limited shapeshifting."

Luke raised his eyebrows - he'd seen a lot of unusual Force powers, after all, but he'd only ever heard of Force-based shapeshifting belonging to a witch of some kind who'd menaced the Ewoks on Endor.

"Fascinating," he said, finishing his own meal. "If we weren't in the middle of the war, I'd like to spend some time visiting your various traditions on Teyr - my apologies, Tyria."

Althair, the sylvari knight, smiled a bit as he replied, "You'd certainly be welcomed in the Grove, Master Skywalker. Jedi balance and focus on the positive seems very much in line with mainstream sylvari belief. We, as a race, also have those who seek the darkness - the Nightmare Court - but, thankfully, they're few and far between."

"Hmph. I wouldn't turn down a few dozen Jedi like Rhysode or your niece, especially on patrol in the Brand. Then again, with the Elder Dragon Kralkatorrik's minions being crystallized, maybe laser blades would just refract and scatter," Rytlock pondered, his ears flicking with distaste.

Eir nodded, her mouth curling in disappoval as she said, "Indeed. The Sons of Svanir - norn who willingly submit to the corruption by the Elder Dragon Jormag, in our lands in the north - are also a menace. There's many threats back home."

No wonder Ganner's so wary of going back to Teyr. I only spent such a short time in Pyre Folas that I never expected the rest of the planet was so chaotic, or varied, Luke reflected as they broke up for the evening.

He was stopped at the door by Valia, who looked a bit embarrassed. "My apologies, Master Skywalker. We're a - fractious group, but at the end of the day, we are united in our struggle against the Elder Dragons. Brimstone's crass and heretical, but he's got courage - and he's a competent warrior. Balthazar respects both," she said, walking with Luke in the night air.

Luke nodded before asking, "What of the rest of the Six? Ganner's spoken briefly about them at times since he's spent more time with my family."

Valia smiled and said, "Please don't let my devotion to the Lord of War seem to be all-consuming. I revere the others - Dwayna, goddess of air, healing, warmth, and life; Melandru, goddess of nature, earth and growth; Lyssa, the twin goddesses of beauty, water, and illusion; Grenth, lord of darkness, death, and ice; and Kormir, goddess of order, spirit, and truth. But Lord Balthazar spoke to my spirit, my inner fire, when I was young. He's not just about war - flame, both cleansing and scourging, is another of his domains. So is courage, which is why House Rhysode cleaves to him."

Luke pondered that, nodding; Ganner had never lacked for courage, and he'd gained plenty of wisdom, as well.

He looked at Valia and asked, "If you'd like, you could say a few words tomorrow at the wedding. Jaina and Ganner asked me to officiate, but I'd also like for Ganner's faith to be reflected, as well. This is a joining of two worlds, after all."

Valia smiled with gratitude, bowing as she said, "I'd be honored! Thank you, Master Skywalker. I'll see you then."

She practically skipped away, and Luke smiled, before sensing another's intense, but non-hostile scrutiny. "Hello?" he greeted, nodding as Althair stepped from a nearby alcove with a faint smile.

"Apologies as well, Master Skywalker. I merely wished to give you and young Valia a moment to talk. The Jedi are held in high regard by many humans on Tyria, although with some ... amusement, for lack of a better word, among some of the more specific magical traditions. As I was saying at dinner, though, we sylvari respect your efforts to help others," the plant-being said, nodding to Luke.

He grew serious, then, and continued, "I wished to thank you in person for what you and your Order have done for my former squire. Ganner's potential to go - awry - was always extant, but held in check when he was a boy on Tyria; social pressures and his own struggle to balance his dreams conflicted with his position as a member of Krytan nobility."

Luke nodded; that sounded a lot like how he'd imagined Ganner's past might have gone (and how Ganner had alluded to, at times). "If I might ask - how are Ganner's relatives? I'm a little surprised, and saddened, they didn't come," he queried.

Althair's sad smile made Luke worry, and the sylvari sighed before speaking. "I cancelled any financial obligation which Ganner's father, Graham, might have felt he owed me after Ganner departed. Since them ... I've been politely discouraged from contacting the Rhysodes. Ganner's older brother, Geraint, is the head of house, now; I don't know what happened to Ganner's parents. And my own duties in defending the Grove have limited my time to visit Divinity's Reach, the capitol of Kryta. You'd be surprised how determined waves of the undead can be - fighting them fills my schedule," he explained.

Luke shivered sympathetically - he'd run into some unpleasant surprises on various worlds while investigating Force lore - then felt sad for Ganner. "It's good you came. I'd've felt awful if Ganner had no family at his wedding," he said.

Althair shook Luke's hand, smiling as he replied, "I'm honored, Master Skywalker. But he also has the Jedi. And as I said - I'm grateful for everything you and the Order have done for him. He's become the man I'd hoped he would be."

"You're very welcome. And thank you for helping Ganner when he was young. I'll be honored to call him my nephew-in-law," Luke agreed, waving as he headed to turn in for the night.

Dragons and flaming swords and techno-Force devices, oh my ... he mused - it was a welcome, if brief, break from the war.

---------------------

to be continued ... [face_thinking]

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, how incredibly fascinating was the first scene. If that is fanon, it deserves to be put in the Fanon thread because it's awesomely cool! =D=

Hmmm, the Mists ... I thought only the Gand espoused that -- how interesting that concepts span such widely differing cultures. [face_thinking]

=D=

6. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    WarmNyota: Thanks - I'm very honored by your suggestion. [face_blush] (It'd certainly spare poor Raynar from what happened in canon ... :()

That said, the Dark Nest will occur in this timeline - albeit far differently than in Legends, and with hardly any Jedi involved. (The First Order, however, are another matter ... [face_thinking])

As for the Mists - an interesting comparison, indeed, and thanks for alerting me to that. [face_thinking] I'd not heard of the precise nature of Findsman beliefs, but it's certainly nice to find another potential crossover connection. :D

Time for another flashback scene - we're almost at the wedding ceremony proper - with another few meetings and well-wishes ...

And, yes, another cameo by a member of the year's most adorably annoying species ... [face_laugh]

The Mon Cala system's suns were rising as Leia checked on the twins - she was enjoying being a grandma, she found.

Rian and Roan were still asleep and she gently brushed them through the Force, grateful for the quiet as she found Jaina under her covers in the main bedroom. In some ways, Leia found, her little girl looked almost as young as her boys.

Or maybe it's just me. I never expected to be a grandmother so soon - but it's a happier surprise than I could've imagined, Leia thought, smiling as she kissed Jaina's brow - there was no reason to wake everyone up too early, even for such a big event.

The Force rippled with a familiar presence, then - not another sensitive, but a mind Leia knew almost as well as her own. The Noghri bowed as Leia entered the living room and gestured for them to open the door, and Winter walked in, smiling.

"I know, I know - it's ridiculously early. But I'm excited! Tycho will get Garen up and ready when it's a little later - I'm so glad Jaina agreed to let Garen be the ringbearer. He's thrilled, if a little nervous, but he'll be fine," Winter said, hugging Leia.

The princess tried not to smirk as Winter gave her a dry glance and added, "And no, I've not had any caf yet. Although -"

BAMF-A!

Wait - they're not supposed to be here! Unless - ? Leia worried, noticing a large, shaggy shape out on the dock.

Something metallic dropped off of the bantha - which, of course, Winter had noticed - and the Noghri admitted a familiar R7-class astromech in after a quick scan, as Winter gave Leia a joyful, then accusatory, then amazed series of looks.

BAMF-A!

"Btweep-dweet? Dwoop-bwoo," the triangle-scan-eyed little droid - Fiver, Anakin's loyal astromech - greeted, projecting a hologram of his master and a familiar blonde girl, both wearing Yuuzhan Vong cloakers, combat belts, and weapons.

"Uh, hey, everyone. Just wanted to wish Jaya, Ganner, and the boys all the best, and we miss you all," Anakin said, smiling.

"And we realized - belatedly - that an astromech wasn't going to be the best companion for deep-cover work on a Yuuzhan Vong-overrun Core World. Could you ask Jaina and Ganner to watch over Fiver until we get back? He's a great pal, and we don't want to risk him getting hurt," Tahiri added, and Leia patted the astromech's dome as the message faded.

She took a deep breath - the Noghri had been informed of Anakin's survival, of course, but few others had.

Among them Winter, Leia regretted, turning to face her oldest friend, who'd gone about as pale as her hair.

Instead of unleashing a (deserved, Leia felt) tirade, the former special-ops expert slowly smiled, and took Leia's hands.

"You had to keep it quiet. Lelila, if anyone should understand, it's me - don't apologize, please - I understand," Winter said, hugging Leia, who held onto her with relief and let only infrequently-shed tears flow.

"Thank you. Thank you - it's just been so - terrifying. Yes, Anakin's with Tahiri, and they're with allies, and they have Bangor - but, first, to think Anakin was gone, then to know he IS alive, just practically out of reach ... I miss them, Winter," Leia admitted, sitting beside Winter on the couch as Fiver trundled over.

Winter produced a handkerchief - she always seemed to have plenty of them - and laughed as Threepio walked out of his recharging booth, exclaiming, "Mistress Winter, welcome! What a delight to have a proper - OH! Fiver! Where did you -?"

"Threepio, why don't you catch Fiver up on what's going on? Winter and I are talking. And if you could, please start a light breakfast, and set the babies' bottles to warming," Leia gently but firmly asked.

The protocol droid went to work, and Leia returned Winter's relieved smile; Threepio was family, but he did sometimes need diverting. "I won't ask more about what you-know-who are doing - but it'll be good when they can get back here," Winter said, and Leia nodded, glad of the temporary distraction.

She looked back at Jaina's suite - the boys had a small bedroom just off of Jaina and Ganner's bedroom - then said, "I never quite imagined this day being like this, you know? Somehow ... well, given all the men in Jaina's life, on and off ..."

Winter raised an eyebrow, but Leia harrumphed and replied, "You know what I mean. I never expected Jaina to marry a prince or anyone - she's too much Han's daughter, and I love her for it - but ... I suppose I'd thought it'd be more grand."

"And with fewer babies before the ceremony - I'm certainly not judging, the twins are wonderful little boys. And Jaina and Ganner have both taken full responsibility. Not that I doubted Jaina, of course - but Ganner ... he's turned out to be a genuinely good man. She's very lucky to have him," Winter said, smiling with rare wistfulness.

She looked a bit embarrassed as she added, "And - alliances aside - he's not -"

The doorbell rang, then. Leia face-palmed as the babies awoke with startled cries, and Jaina - wrapped in a robe - ran into the living room, her eyes darting about as she stammered, "I dreamed a Force Demon ate my wedding dress?!"

"No, Jaina - it's just - Mahlwahk, who is visiting at this un-Forcely hour?" Leia asked, while Jaina went to check on the twins and Winter raised an eyebrow as a hologram of the latest arrival appeared.

"Jagged. Honestly, this is pathetic - bad enough he woke the babies, but if he spews some maudlin last-hour confession, I'll stun him myself," Winter grumbled, shrugging at Leia's expression of mortification - Jag was Roan's father, after all.

"Somehow, I think Jaina can handle Jag Fel - Cahkmaim, let Jag in, please," Leia asked, and the Noghri complied. Jag walked in - in full Chiss dress uniform, no less - and he held a small, bag-covered object which occasionally made a chirping noise.

He gave Winter a polite nod, then bowed to Leia, smiling as Jaina - who'd smoothed out both her hair and robe - appeared with the twins, who'd calmed down. Roan blinked a little and made happy noises, while Rian laughed.

"Jag - wow. You got ready early," Jaina said, letting Jag hold Roan one-armed as he placed his package on a side table. "Is that a wedding present?"

"Partially, although it's also an effort to spare an innocent life. The Mon Cala animal import laws can be quite strict when it comes to invasive species, and I caught this poor soul after it snuck aboard one of my wingmen's clawcraft during a patrol in the Tion hinterlands. Master Skywalker will be very interested to learn of the ruins we found on Ahch-To," Jag said, removing the cover from what Leia now realized was a cage.

The small, brown and white seabird in the cage chirped a bit, with almost-comically wide eyes, and the boys waved chubby hands at the porg as it blinked back. "Squawk?" the bird asked, and Leia let it out of the cage, holding it carefully.

"It - he, I'm sensing? - is adorable, Jagged. But maybe the boys are a bit small for a pet. If it's all right with you and Jaina, I'll ask Jacen to look after this porg," Leia offered, and Jag nodded, smiling, while Jaina waved at the seemingly-happy bird.

"That would be very wise, Your Highness. I ... had another reason I wished to visit so early. Might Jaina and I speak privately for a moment?" Jag asked, and Leia deferred to Jaina - she didn't hate Jag, but neither did she trust him (entirely).

Jaina half-shrugged, smiling faintly, and Leia could sense her daughter's acceptance. Better to get this over with now, was the jist of Jaina's emotional projection, which Leia quite understood.

Winter rose, giving Jag a polite nod, and laughed as she took the porg from Leia, saying, "Come, little one. I doubt we lack for seafood for you to eat. Lelila - Jaina - we'll be in the kitchen if you need us."

"Squawk!" the porg added, perking up, and Leia kissed Jaina's temple, projecting reassurance as she motioned for some of the Noghri to follow. (There were, of course, others whom nobody had noticed - they were Noghri, after all.)

Although I doubt Jaina would need them if she really gets angry - but somehow, I doubt Jag came here to anger her ...

-------------------------

Jaina's head had fully cleared from her sleep - the boys were great for helping with that - and she sat near Jag on the couch as he made silly faces at Roan, who squeaked happily at Dada's visit while Rian watched, happy.

Jag was good with Roan, Jaina knew - and his look of happiness as he caught Jaina watching was real, also.

In another universe, this should've been our day, Jaina reflected - but this wasn't another universe.

Jag seemed to sense the shift, and his smile turned - not wistful, exactly, but not unpleasant, either. Sad, certainly.

"I ... Jaina, things are going to change when you and Ganner wed. I don't say that to be obvious, or - moactan teel, this is difficult -" Jag began, until Jaina took his free hand in hers, gently.

"Take your time, Jag. You're Roan's dad. And - beyond that - you and I - we had something special," Jaina said.

Jag' smile turned a bit poisonous, but Jaina could sense the bitterness wasn't aimed at her. "Until I threw it all away. I just wanted to say - whatever you and Ganner decide, as far as living - wherever - I won't stand in your way. I want Roan to be with his mother and brother, and Ganner is a wonderful man. I trust him with Roan," Jag said, his expression softening.

Jaina smiled with real gratitude, and reassured Jag, "You can see Roan whenever you want or can, Jag. We're not about to try and keep you from seeing your son. I appreciate what you're saying - it means a lot to me - but my marrying Ganner shouldn't change things that much."

Jag's gratitude was obvious, and he smiled down at Roan for a long moment before giving Jaina a playful look.

"While my mother would be scandalized, I suppose now would be the time to admit I might have imagined what it would've been like to be a - courtier - in the Queen Mother's court had you married Prince Isolder," he quipped.

Jaina rolled her eyes, taking Roan from Jag when the baby reached for her. "I am not going to keep a - man-harem, Fel. Those jokes were old back when you and Kyp were jockeying for position," she joked back, smirking.

Jag chuckled a little, standing with Jaina and walking with her to the door. "You can't blame me for trying, even if the porg has flown the nest, so to speak," he said with a wink, thanking the Noghri as they let him go. "See you at the ceremony."

"See you then," Jaina replied, watching Jag go.

Once the door closed, she looked at the twins, who cooed happily back at her, and Jaina beamed at them, laughing.

"Ro, your daddy is silly! Yes he is! A great pilot, but silly suggestions. Now c'mon, you two. Let's get you fed, then see what kind of miniature tuxedos your grandma came up with for you. And Mommy's got to try on her dress," Jaina said.

She stopped for a moment, pleasantly surprised as Fiver trundled out of the kitchen, beeping, "Betweep!"

"How'd you get here?! No - never mind, there's bantha fur all over the dock, I get it," Jaina half-joked, happy to see Anakin's droid. She caught sight of Mom and Winter setting places at the table, as Threepio cooked, then looked at Fiver.

The little droid's holoprojector activated, and Jain's breath caught for a moment as she watched Anakin and Tahiri's short message. The boys cooed, intrigued by the strange people, and Jaina nuzzled them, fighting back happy tears.

Little Brother and Tahiri remembered ... and they entrusted us with Fiver, she thought, wishing Anakin could be here.

She looked out the window, awed at the sight of the Mon Cala suns rising, and the realization - this was her wedding day.

Not at all what I'd dreamed ... but I'm in pretty good company for it, Jaina thought, smiling again at her boys.

"Like I said, guys - time for breakfast. And I'll tell you more about your uncle 'Kin and Aunt Tahiri," Jaina laughed.

to be continued ... :)

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Delightful supportiveness between Winter and Leia and sweet moments of candor between J/J. He's honest about acknowledging what might have been and trusting Ganner goes a long way, says a lot about both his and Ganner's characters/qualities. =D=

8. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    WarmNyota: Thanks again. :) I felt it important to have at least one scene of Jag saying, "I'm not going to be a bad ex and stand in the way."

And Winter and Leia - ! ^:)^ I'm glad that worked, because I think it's easy sometimes for us (myself included) to forget that these two are best friends - have been since early childhood.

Winter is not just "the nanny," or "Ackbar's caregiver" (important roles those are, but they're parts of a well-rounded, highly-accomplished woman who has a life of her own, as well). Giving Leia a shoulder to turn to - even in the happy moments - is absolutely critical; the Leia and Mara dynamic is one of mutual respect and positivity, but I've never entirely felt their connection is quite the same as Leia and Winter.

And now ... *drumroll* ... grab your handkerchiefs and a slice of wedding cake. ;)

(Plus - mild spoilers for the future of at least one of Jaina's sons. :eek: )

After this chapter, I should be able to get back to the "present," so to speak, and start trying to wrap this 'fic up ... [face_blush]

Growing up back on Teyr/Tyria, Ganner had never exactly been the most faithful worshipper of the Six.

I respected Balthazar as the patron of House Rhysode, and I went to chapel in Divinity's Reach with Mom on the high holy days ... but as far as belief? Sure, the stories of Kormir all but confirm the Six's existence, but their self-imposed exile from Tyria hasn't done much for supporting faith in their graces. Still ... he mused, kneeling in a darkened, empty conapt.

He took a deep breath, then whispered, "If you're listening ... you know I'm no paragon. Dwayna knows I try to give mercy to those in need and uplift the weak, while Balthazar's seen both my courage and my bravado. Heh - Lyssa might just've blessed my old self-deception ... but I saw Grenth stretching out his hand at the Well. Melandru's strength and Kormir's truth would be appreciated - but less for me, and more for the life I'm about to embark upon."

Ganner opened his eyes, looking up in the dimly-lit conapt as sunlight filtered in through the blinds.

"Please, bless my love, and the lives she's brought into the world. Jaina gave me purpose. I might've awoken from my egocentrism at Garqi, but learning I was going to be a father - that someone, someones, NEEDED me, lifted the scale of selfishness from my eyes. Jaina's honesty, strength, and love keep me steady, and Rian - to think, I actually lived long enough to be someone's dad. Rian's incredible. So is Roan - Jag's his birth father, but I'll care for Roan as if he were my own. All of these blessings ... if this is Kormir's hand at work, making me see truth - thank you," Ganner said, tearing up.

He blinked, as a shimmer of something - a trick of the light, his own emotions, maybe the Force - danced in the corner.

Ganner shielded his gaze, just in case - the Six human gods of Tyria were said to be so awesome, that to dare stare at them for too long caused blindness - as he sensed the presence of someone, VAST and powerful and indescribably wise.

Thank you, son of Kryta - for your Stand, for your maturity, and for your courage, a gentle female voice breathed.

Know that you will teach heroes - so, teach them well, Ganner Rhysode, with courage, wisdom, and most of all, love.

The flicker faded, and Ganner was alone ... except for a white blindfold, embroidered with gold thread.

His breath caught in his throat - the blindfold was Kormir's symbol, after she'd lost her eyes during the trials of the Nightfall Saga that had led to her apotheosis in Elona, to Kryta's far southeast.

"... I'll do my best, Goddess of Truth. Thank you, and the others, for everything," Ganner said, smiling as he stood.

He opened the door, not really surprised when Valia bowed to him - the priestess of Balthazar was practically glowing with excitement (better that than smoldering, a blasphemous part of Ganner's mind joked). "How'd your vigil go?" she asked.

"It wasn't all night or anything - Jaina would be upset if I showed up half-asleep," Ganner replied, smoothing out his Jedi robes (not his good ones, he was saving those for the wedding). "But ... I got some answers. Some questions, too."

Valia walked with him, clearly eager to be of help, but Ganner just smiled and added, "They're the kind that'll take living to answer, Valia. Thanks, though. I've got to get ready for the ceremony - I'll see you there. Thanks for taking part, too."

"It's an honor, Ganner. Being able to share our faith with others - and, yeah, seeing space? It's amazing," the priestess said, a flash of youthful awe crossing her face before she ran to the guest quarters, and Ganner chuckled.

He waved as Lowie caught up with him and yowled a happy greeting in Shyriiwook - just before Ganner heard a squawk.

"Good to see you too, big guy ... is that a bird?" Ganner asked, blinking as a small, round brown and white bird popped up out of Lowie's back fur. The Wook rolled his eyes, but let the bird sit on his shoulder as they rounded a corner.

A relieved-looking Jacen waited there, clasping Ganner's wrist in greeting before carefully motioning toward the bird. "Hey, there, buddy - nobody wants to hurt you," Ganner's soon-to-be-brother-in-law encouraged, and the bird hopped to him.

Lowie growled an explanation, and Ganner tried not to laugh as Jacen carried the happy-seeming porg. "Jag found it on Ahch-To? I suppose I've heard of weirder wedding gifts, but we've got two babies and a droid to look after," Ganner said.

"Two droids - Tahiri sent Fiver along, asking if you and Jaina would watch him," Jacen said, nodding as Fiver and Cappie - who'd insisted on serving as Ganner's third grooms-sentient, and Jaina had been happy when Ganner had agreed - rolled after them, tweedling with happiness. The porg seemed to chirp at the droids, who responded, and Ganner laughed.

"Y'know what? Let's go with it. I've got a good feeling about this, no offense to your dad, Jacen," Ganner said, waving as he ducked into Lowie's spare bedroom and prepared to get changed.

He did a double-take as he saw an envelope on his robes, and opened it, slowly smiling at the fine penmanship:

My love,

Just writing those words helps bring home just how special this day is, Gann. You gave me one of my sons, and you continue to give me so much more - support, gentleness, a shoulder, trust, and best of all, love.

This is a small thing, but I hope it helps show how much you mean to me. Valia helped me research the exact design - it wasn't easy to find the right representation, since Teyrian art doesn't get much distribution off-world.

But I know what you've given up to be with us, to stay with us. I love you, Ganner, and I want you to have something of your birthworld, even as you make every place with us our home.

Love,
    Jaina

Ganner's heart caught in his throat again as he took a simple silver chain-link bracelet from the envelope - the clasps were in the shape of dogs' heads, with fiery gems for the eyes, and he laughed joyfully as he put it on his right wrist.

Tegon and Temar, the Hounds of Balthazar -! Jaya, bless you for this - a symbol of my patron member of the Six, Ganner projected, beaming as Jaina laughed joyfully with him - it didn't really count as seeing each other before the wedding -and the twins radiated happiness that warmed Ganner even more.

He started to get changed, unable to stop grinning - this was really about to happen - and hoped Jaina liked her gift.

-----------------------------------

"Wait, that's your something blue?" Mara asked, as amused as Winter was scandalized, but Jaina just grinned.

"Well, a burgundy dress doesn't go well with blue outside of it," Jaina joked, checking the garter - Betsy had playfully suggested the Terran tradition, and Jaina rather liked it. She might be a bride with two small sons, but she could still have a bit of fun that wasn't related to family time.

The babies cooed happily from where they rested on the bed under Nanna's calm supervision, and Jaina waved at the twins as Mara helped her slide into the dress. "I like this. Accentuates your shape, but functional," her aunt approved.

Mom returned Jaina's quiet smile - Mara's reasons for liking the dress were different than Jaina's (she'd wanted something that did flatter her, but also something reddish to fit with whatever Krytan parts of the ceremony Valia incorporated), but the vote of confidence was appreciated. Jaina tried on her heels and walked a bit, grateful they weren't absurd.

A tentative knock at the bedroom door made everyone look, as Mahlwalk, a female Noghri, checked it - then nodded. "Lady Winter, your son is here," the bodyguard said, and Jaina smiled as Garen Celchu walked in in his tuxedo.

The 5-year-old smiled, but took a deep breath as he handed Jaina an envelope and said, "Mr. Ganner asked me to give you this, Jaina. He said it's a present."

"Thank you, Garen! Let your mom show you the pillow for the rings, OK?" Jaina asked, intrigued - she'd sensed that Ganner had adored the Balthazar-themed bracelet she'd made for him (being a skilled mechanic didn't always translate into a competent jeweler, but Jaina had done fine detail work when rewiring hyperdrive motivators).

She opened the envelope and gasped - there were a pair of gorgeous silver-and-yellow-crystal earrings inside - and a note:

Jaina -

You've
    completed me.

The vacuous, arrogant,
    blowhard of a Jedi I pretended to be was just a shell, around a lost boy running from his past.

But you destroyed that facade - almost literally! - and trusted me with your truths, when you were most vulnerable.

You gave me our son, and a son of my heart. You keep me honest, putting up with my self-doubt and occasional, backwards silliness and all my other flaws - and you help me celebrate my strengths.

These earrings aren't much, but I hope they go well with the dress you described to me. You're honoring my faith by dressing as a metaphorical flame, and a few sparks of gold among the red can only help show off your beauty.

But none of that compares to the warmth, light, and joy you give me. I love you, Jaina - thank you.

Love,
    Ganner

Jaina almost - almost - lost it right there, asking Mara to help her put in the earrings, and she let Mom read the note.

After a moment, Mom wiped at her own eyes, and Jaina hugged her and Mara, laughing and crying all at once.

"That - that man. Ugh, I hate being unable to snark at people. I'll have to redouble my Kyp-torment or throw a Vong through a window or something. I'm Mara Jade, stangit," Mara tried to joke as Jaina laughed, and Mom smiled.

"Is everybody OK?" Garen asked, smiling as Winter hugged him, and the twins giggled when Jaina checked on them.

"Everybody's wonderful, Garen. Thank you very much for bringing the earrings to me," Jaina said, holding her boys as she let Mara work on her hair - she hadn't smiled like this in a very long time, if ever.

Rian laughed again, and Roan cooed, and Jaina made a silly face at them, saying, "Yeah, Mama's really happy."

Not at all what I'd imagined - it's better than that, Jaina thought, savoring the moments as the chrono ticked down.

-------------------------------

The Mon Calamari had set aside a fairly plain meeting room as a "special events" chamber - Threepio and Artoo, with a team of Ewoks, apparently members of Senator Kolot's staff working with Donoslaine Excursions, had decorated it with Alderaanian flowers and statuary imported from New Alderaan (not that hard, given the world's closeness to Mon Cala).

The hastily-assembled guest list was larger than either Jaina or Ganner had anticipated; Leia's cousin, Niall Organa, and his wife, Danielle Kieran - Han's daughter - had managed to make it from New Alderaan, and more than a few of the Senators of the still-nascent Galactic Alliance were on hand. Practically every Jedi who could be spared was either in the honor guard, helping beef up security, or in the audience, and Shelter had a live holofeed of the ceremony set up.

Luke and Valia were both prepared at the makeshift altar - the Teyrian priestess had deferred to Luke's lead, but he'd been happy to let her have a role - and Ganner, Lowie, Jacen, and Cappie lined up on the groom's side (the Teyrian delegation were seated near the front row).

Rytlock stole a jealous glance at the porg - now nicknamed Squawky, by young Garen Celchu - who was shivering on Lowie's shoulder (the small bird had taken to the Wookiee quite fast, and Jacen had been content to let Squawky stay with their friend).

"It's an appetizer, not a groomsman," the charr warrior grumbled, until Eir Stegalkin scowled at him.

"Rytlock! Porgs are friends, NOT food!" the norn woman insisted, and Rytlock crossed his arms in annoyance.

A pair of Alderaanian horns rang with heraldry, then, and the audience stood as the wedding party appeared.

Jaina took a deep breath, smiling at Dad as he kissed her forehead and said, "You look beautiful. Ready?"

"As I'll ever be," Jaina said, watching as Garen led the procession, grave beyond his years, carrying her and Ganner's rings.

Tekli was next, followed by Tenel Ka, then Raaba (who'd been cleared of any illnesses from the Diversity Alliance mess, and who'd been overjoyed to be invited).

The music peaked, then, and Jaina smiled - shakily at first, then stronger - walking with her dad down the aisle.

She beamed - honestly happy at the joy, well-wishes, and wistfulness she could sense from the guests, and grinned as Mom waved from where she was holding Rian and Roan. The babies squealed with happiness, and Jaina waved at them before looking at where Ganner waited for her in sharp blue-and-black Jedi robes, awe in his expression.

He gently took her hand, thanking Dad, and Jaina could sense her dad's happy-if-sad ripple as he sat beside Mom. After a moment (and holding Roan so Mom could sit a bit higher with Rian), Dad grinned his Han Solo smile, and Jaina beamed.

She met Ganner's gentle blue gaze, then, and only half-heard Uncle Luke say, "We are gathered here today ..."

Uncle Luke kept things moving, and Jaina could hear Valia chant, in a sing-song voice:

"The first of the gods to step forth from the Mists was Dwayna, goddess of air and life. She placed her pale foot on the stones of Arah, opened the gates, and brought humanity to the world ..."

The entire litany took only a few moments, with how quickly Valia spoke - it was a recitation of the Krytan creation myth, Jaina realized, with mentions of Balthazar, Melandru, Lyssa, and then a curious silence, before Valia finished speaking of Grenth, the Krytan god of death, ice, and sorrow.

She bowed her head, and said in a reverential tone, "There was another of the original Six, cast down for betraying his brethren. We do not speak of the Fallen One, but rather, She who replaced him - Kormir, Goddess of Truth and Spirit. May her wisdom, and the blessings of the rest of the True Six, be upon Ganner, Jaina, and their family."

With that, Valia stepped back, and Uncle Luke smiled, saying, "Although no one should intervene, it's tradition to ask if there's any reason why these two should not be wed. If anyone has such a reason, speak now or forever hold your peace."

At first, there was a blessed silence - but then, the Force rippled, not with disapproval or warning, but as if from a distance.

A series of gasps filled the room as a portal - pinkish-purple - opened in the middle of the aisle, and Betsy, clad in full Jedi robes, leapt between it and the wedding party, a small army of Jedi and Galactic Alliance troops backing her up.

"It's not Yuuzhan Vong, at least - this portal has a Force signature, but - Ganner?" Betsy asked, as he squinted.

"I ... recognize that portal, or at least what kind it is. It's a mesmer portal - the kind advanced illusionists use back on Tyria. But there's no mesmers in the delegation, or anywhere near Mon Cala, last I knew," Ganner explained.

He gave Jaina an embarrassed look, but spun as the portal rippled - and dropped several figures through it.

"Aaugh! I had to fast-cast!" a young, pretty woman with platinum-blonde hair and shiny armor cried, standing as she helped a dark-haired woman in green robes to stand.

"Uh ... guys? I think that's the least of our problems," replied a towering young norn man with a shock of red hair.

A female charr in light armor stood beside him, some kind of chittering arachnid at her feet, while a tiny female asura on the norn's shoulder did some quick calculations on her wrist gauntlet.

"Braham's got a point. If I'm right, we're - Alchemy help us, we're about 13 standard years in the past!? Kasmeer, you got us away from the Mordrem, but we're not even on Tyria any more!" the asura gasped, her eyes widening.

A male sylvari in barklike armor looked about, smirking as he said, "A human wedding. And here I thought we only ever got invited to the parties where the rule is 'Bring Your Own Monster-Slaying Weapon and Guild Melodrama.'"

The last of the wedding crashers, though, was the one who drew Jaina's attention, and she motioned Betsy aside to look at the figure in silvery armor - she knew that Force-signature, almost as well as she knew her own.

The knight-like figure removed his helmet, revealing short black hair, Rhysode-blue eyes ... and Solo cheekbones.

He was just a boy, maybe about Valin Horn's age, and realization filled his face as he saw Jaina and Ganner.

"Ah - hi," he said with a Coruscanti accent peppered with Teyrian tones, and blushing. "I - really - can explain, I promise."

"Ah-ah-ah! Not another word, young man! We're not about to risk you breaking the timestream," Betsy insisted, gently but firmly - until Ganner and Jaina stepped forward, a happy smile on Ganner's face, a gentle one on Jaina's.

"You've got a guild. Our son has a Teyrian guild. Rian ... this is amazing," Ganner said, pride and joy clear in his voice.

Rian blushed, but not from shame, and Jaina was grateful as he returned her hug. "However you got here - I know I'll be proud of the reasons. I wish we could say more, but - Betsy's right. Go to your friends, and know we love you," she said.

Rian wiped his eyes - doing a double-take and smiling with awe as Mom stood, letting him see his infant self and Roan, while the rest of Rian's guild gaped. "AAH! Baby Rian! Cute, but paradoxical! Kasmeer, we have to GO!" the asura cried.

"Taimi's right - this is astral, but we've got to get back. The Pact - " Rian started, until Braham saw Eir, and she gasped.

Jaina looked on with worry as the norn ambassador's eyes widened immensely, and she whispered, "You ..."

Braham smiled sadly, then clapped Rian on the shoulder and said, "I owe you double, now. Kas?"

"Got it - sorry, everyone, congratulations, Viscount Rhysode and Lady Jaina! Lyssa bless you!" Kasmeer exclaimed.

With that, the guild vanished, and Jaina grabbed Ganner's hands, stared him in the eyes, and said, "I do."

"I - I do, too," Ganner stammered, still stunned but happy, and Jaina gave Uncle Luke a kind, but determined look.

"Well, then - by the power of the Force, I declare you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride," Luke said, smiling.

Jaina lost herself in Ganner's embrace, for just a moment, then shared a joyful smile with him before gently taking Rian and Roan from her mom.

"You two have a long time to go before you get to run around in the timestream," she gently teased, walking with Ganner and the babies beneath an arch of lightsabers, and the boys cooed as Ganner's happy laughter warmed Jaina again.

to be continued ... [face_party]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    SQUEEE and AMAZING! The couple's notes and gifts to one another and the appearance of the Guild -- fascinating. ;) =D= @};-

10. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    WarmNyota: Thanks. :D I liked the simple, but very personal, gifts, and the idea that these two quite simply complete each other, in a way that I'm not sure J/J, J/Z, or J/K ever quite reached ... [face_thinking]

Jaina could've been a warrior goddess, for good or ill; Ganner could've been a self-sacrificial hero after overcoming his glory-lust.

Instead, they're something more than the sum of their parts, and have a happy future together ... :D

And - Future!Rian. [face_whistling] Oh, there's a big story there, but it's quite a ways down the timeline.

(An aside - sharp-eyed Guild Wars 2 fans will recognize all of Future!Rian's guild members; all belong to ArenaNet, no infringement meant or profit made ^:)^ - and while much of the metaplot from that game will apply to this timeline's future, some elements won't ...)

However, that's all for down the road. Right now, it's time for another (short - apologies) update, and back to the "present" of the timeline ... ;)

27.8 ABY: Rhen Var,
    Thanium System,
    Outer Rim Territories:

To the more tactically-minded troopers who'd disembarked from the Raddus to reconnoiter the iceball, their field leaders were - unique.

Newly-promoted Vice-Admiral Holdo had asked the young Jedi - one of whom had reportedly survived death, although the stories around the Jedi strike team at Myrkr were growing more and more complicated with each retelling - to lend their expertise against the Vong to the still-training troops. Many were former refugees from the Vong advance who'd enlisted to fight boredom, get payback, and take back the galaxy.

Right now, though, Private Reln M'varry would've settled for taking a rest around a roaring bonfire.

"Think Hoth's this bad?" his battle-buddy - a rather spindly Duros called Lab Norok - asked the young human man as they swept the perimeter.

Reln tried not to sigh; the camp, such as it was, was basically using some sparse rocks set against the foot of one of Rhen Var's many glaciers to try and minimize the wind. Cold, snow, ice, rock, and wind seemed to be all Rhen Var had.

"At least Hoth has wampas. And tauntauns. Some life. You heard Rhen Var had fertile land once, before some cataclysm? Now it's just got all this cold, and a few ruins - it's dead," Reln complained, checking his electrobinoculars - no sense in slacking off on duty.

That was when Reln saw ... something, a klick or so north of their current position.

"Hawkbat Base, this is Hawkbat 10. Transmitting anomalous video for verification, please," he commed - the new 'binocs had a short-range data transfer function that literally let the base see what the scouts were seeing.

And what Reln was seeing didn't look good at all - what looked like giant lizards, with black-armored, ugly figures riding them.

"Data received, Hawkbat 10. Stand by for support. Hold position," said Hawkbat One - a grouchy sergeant from Birgis, name of Tallan, who the noobs said took his anger over losing his homeworld out on the fresh meat from basic training when he couldn't kill Vong.

Better a hardcase sergeant who makes us tough than a too-friendly one who lets us get lazy - and dead, or worse, Reln figured, starting to sweat - even with the cold - as the Vong patrol got closer.

Then -

BAMF-A!

Reln and Lab stood up, saluting, as Lieutenants Solo and Veila slid off of - well, a bantha - and returned their salutes casually.

"Looks like we've got Vong -" Solo - who couldn't be any older than Reln, who himself was only 18 - said, until Veila smirked at him.

"Yuuzhan Vong, dummy - sir," the blonde girl said (some of her hair was fluttering out of her parka hood), and Solo grinned a little.

Reln and Lab traded a look - they'd heard these two had a unique rapport, and the rumors that it went further seemed to be true.

"Sir Dummy, knight errant ... heh. Privates, call in the rain - well, icicles, please," Solo asked, and Reln commed for the bombers.

"Sir - isn't a bombing run a little much for two ... lizard ... riders ...?" Lab started to say, until the horizon darkened.

Reln's stomach plunged as what looked like a tidal wave of dark figures and giant lizards appeared, and Solo and Veila got serious.

The Y-Wings flew in, then, and the rest of Hawkbat Battalion rolled up in modified Juggernaut troop transports - the speeders weren't handling the cold well - while Solo smirked a little, just like his dad in the old Rebellion holos, and said, "Play the hand we're dealt, Private."

to be continued ...

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    :D Love the A/T banter and get down to business attitude ;) =D=

12. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    WarmNyota: Thanks - these next few chapters are really more scenes on where everyone's at after the meeting on Mon Cala; I'll get to longer chapters some time in May (and, hopefully, some actual full chapters ...) [face_blush]

In the meantime, an update with J/TK, and just how their reunion's going ... [face_whistling]

27.8 ABY:

She traced the curve of his bicep, simply enjoying their time together; perhaps it was unwise, but they were both cautious.

And overly cautious when we are in public. My sister Briony's existence means I am finally free of my hated entanglements - I wish to live fully, not waste the second chance Jacen and I have, Tenel Ka insisted, watching her - friend - slumber.

Friend, of course, implied something far simpler than what they'd meant to each other for nearly 5 standard years; friend didn't necessarily mean battle-partner, hunt-partner, or fellow Jedi, although it certainly could.

Jacen Solo, however, had been Tenel's first awareness of love.

Dathomir and Hapes, in their ways, promoted lust - passion's Sith cousin, so to speak, needlessly involving dominance.

We overcomplicate so very much with our customs and dogmas. Why cannot males and females simply be happy ... ?

She traced the scar of his slave-seed implant site, not repulsed as some might be; Jacen had both added and lost muscle during his captivity, and like her own missing arm, he owned the signs of the price he'd paid to get where he was now.

Tenel Ka couldn't entirely say she enjoyed Jacen's beard - she knew it had been an affectation of the old Jedi Order, but it never quite seemed to fit him. At the same time, she recognized that marking one's changes was important.

I am more free than I have ever been, while Jacen ... seems to have found some peace, with himself and the Force, she thought, smiling. He dreamed, more relaxed than Tenel remembered him being in some time.

It was very pleasing to think that she was part of the cause of his comfort, and she curled up beside him again.

The Jade Shadow hummed on its way through hyperspace to Bastion, and Tenel let it rock her to sleep, beside her love.

to be continued ... :D

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Beautiful reflections and well-earned serenity and basking in togetherness. :)

14. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    A/N: URGH. Been very busy lately, but that's no excuse; I'm still wanting to finish this ... [face_blush]

In the meantime until I can
    properly update it, though, a scene with the Skycrawlers, including Kylo in this timeline ... [face_thinking]

27.8 ABY: Shelter, the Maw:

Kylo harrumphed, sitting down from his latest sparring practice - it wasn't his fault the other kids couldn't keep up.

Jedi are supposed to win fights, not waste time. I wish the Masters'd make up their minds, the almost-11-year-old thought, sitting on a bench.

He tried to ignore the looks of caution - or fear - from the other Initiates, finally looking up as he felt a tug on the edge of his robe.

"'Ylo?" Ben asked, trying to stand, and Kylo lifted his little brother to sit on the bench beside him. The little twerp was walking, now - shaky, but he could do it - and he'd be a year old next month.

"You're not afraid of me, are you, squirt?" Kylo asked, and Ben hugged him before smiling as Rey and Jysella Horn started to spar.

"Rey!" Ben cheered, and their sister smiled at him, nodding at Kylo, as Master Kam gestured for the girls to start.

It wasn't that they were girls - Kylo wasn't stupid, his mom, Aunt Leia, Jaina, Lady Braddock, and Master Sebatyne were just some of the proof that girls could fight - but they were just so ... polite about how they fought.

Kylo liked pushing his opponents around a little - he didn't want to really hurt anyone, but knocking them off balance gave him an edge. The Masters Solusar weren't happy about it, and Kylo didn't want to make everyone angry, but he wanted to win ... and that wasn't very Jedi.

Grandpa. I wonder if
    you ever had these kinds of problems, Kylo wondered, watching as Master Tionne walked over, smiling.

"Tio!" Ben cheered, letting the archivist pick him up, and Kylo smiled at them; Master Tionne, at least, was friendly, and she knew a lot.

She watched Rey and Jysella - Rey was doing prety good - then asked Kylo, "How'd your practice go?"

"Regnak won on points. I tried not to push him around, like you and Master Kam asked," Kylo said, hoping he didn't sound whiny.

Master Tionne nodded, as Ben played with some of her hair and Rey did a backflip over Jysella's training 'saber, as Valin called, "C'mon!"

"She's too fast! What'd you learn on Jakku to make you so tricky, Rey!?" Jysella complained, but she and Rey grinned, too, so it was OK.

"You get smart or get dead in a desert, Jys. And my mom's Mara Jade Skywalker, so there's that," Rey said, and Kylo grinned at her.

He looked at Master Tionne, who sighed a little, but nodded, too. "It's not very Jedi - but then, the old Order wasn't very aware of tricks. We're not the same as the old Jedi, which likely is a good thing - you children wouldn't likely exist, for one thing," she said, smiling as Ben laughed.

"And the old Jedi didn't watch for dark-siders like they should, not by the time Master Yoda came along," Kylo agreed.

He silently cheered Rey on, a little embarrassed as he remembered which dark-sider the old Jedi hadn't seen until it was too late.

But Grandpa killed Palpatine in the end, Kylo thought, wondering if maybe he could learn a good lesson from Vader's life.

to be continued ... :kylo::kylosaber:

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Interesting to see the foundations of later personality traits and inclinations. [face_thinking] Sad that Kylo seems to be stuck in the thirst for dominance mold. @};-

16. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    A/N: Ugh. Sincere apologies this hasn't been updated in ... what feels like forever. [face_blush] Things've been very busy where I'm at, but I do want to finish this 'fic.

That said, finishing it might take a while .. .but I can at least revive it. And, place a few hints about the BBEGs for the future of the timeline ...

Late 27.9 ABY:
    Imperial Remnant Space:

Given the severity of the Yuuzhan Vong attacks across the Remnant - and the Jedi party's need to keep looking for Zonama Sekot - the victory celebration for the Battle of Borosk was small, with a gathering of the Skywalkers, Saba Sebatyne, and Pellaeon-loyalist Moffs and staff.

Mara repressed a smile as the more humanocentric among the loyalists swallowed their pride and thanked Saba for the risks she'd taken to save the slaves taken by the Vong at Bastion. She made her way to Pellaeon - who, while quietly supported by a Yaka bodyguard, had refused to miss the party - and returned his nod, sensing his amusement.

"Knight Sebatyne deserves the recognition due her. Some among the Moffs have forgotten that it's deeds, not species, that make us worthy," Pellaeon said, and Mara tipped her drink toward him in salute - something non-alcoholic, since she didn't entirely trust the Imperials, even now.

"No doubt. She's a hard worker. Like a lot of the younger crowd around here - nice to see the up-and-comers are actually paying attention to the treaty named after you, and trying to leave the worse elements behind," Mara agreed, searching for Luke - there he was, with ...

Well, whomever Farmboy was talking to, the creature set off Mara's danger sense sharply, and Luke found the entity unsettling, too.

The heavily-scarred, misshapen, pale-skinned being wore a gold robe, and was accompanied by a set of stormtroopers with visors different from the rest of those whom Mara had seen. She did recognize the snot-nosed junior officer hovering around the being's right hand, though.

The black-uniformed, red-haired young man gave Mara a pleasant enough smile, but with an edge that inflamed everything she loathed about the Empire under Palpatine - sexism, stiff-necked authoritarianism, and just a ton of arrogance that made Mara want to punch the twerp.

Something about the punk made her recall where she'd seen him - or someone like him - before, and Mara's blood chilled.

Hux. This is Brendol Hux's by-blow, she realized, gratified to notice Pellaeon's barely-repressed scowl.

"Armitage Hux. He's an up-and-comer, but with some dark rumors about him ... rumblings about Second Imperium-style recruiting methods, and his political alliance with that ... Snoke. Rumor has it that Snoke was a navigator through the Unknown Regions for Gallius Rax's portion of the escapees from the Battle of Jakku. Other than that ... not much else," Pellaeon said softly, accepting a drink from his aide, Miat Temm.

The dark-haired human woman scowled for a moment when Snoke glanced at them and smiled - a chilling thing. "He's Force-strong," she said, as if describing something that'd died in her refresher.

Mara didn't always agree with relatively-unknown Force users, but there was a sense of repressed power about Snoke that troubled her. He had to be strong to be able to shield from her, especially with her telepathy and the remaining Phoenix energy from when she'd been pregnant with Ben. "I think I should introduce myself," she said, excusing herself from Pellaeon's knot of supporters and approaching Luke.

Luke didn't bother to hide his look of relief, and squeezed Mara's hand as he said, "Good to see you. This is - Adept? - Snoke."

"Charmed, Emperor's Hand - ah, my apologies. Jedi Master Jade-Skywalker. Time changes us all," Snoke rasped in an oily voice.

"I suppose so - Adept," Mara replied, forcing her best fake-kindness-then-KILL-THE-SCUMBAG-LATER smile.

The odd stormtroopers around Snoke suddenly tensed, but young Hux snapped his fingers and barked, "At ease! The Skywalkers are not our enemies - if anything, we owe them and their followers for helping save Imperial citizens today. My apologies; our troops are fiercely loyal."

Mara bit back a retort, allowing herself a smile as Luke observed, "Admirable. We prefer loyalty be earned, not commanded."

Hux raised an eyebrow in condescending amusement, but remained quiet as Snoke said in a viper's hiss-like purr, "Power is the most important coin, Master Skywalker. Power draws respect, and can command loyalty. That, and knowledge ... but I digress. Excuse us, please."

Luke bowed, and Snoke's odd little coterie mingled more as Mara asked over her Force-bond with Luke, What did he want?

Nothing good - he's shielding well, but Snoke is a
    walking dark-side NEXUS. And there's something - wrong, almost sickly, about his body. If I couldn't sense his Force-presence, I'd say he was a reanimated corpse. There's definitely something broken about Snoke's Force-signature, too. But it's what he was asking about that worried me the most, Luke thought, letting Mara sense the depth of his worry.

They traded a glance, and Luke added, Snoke was asking about our kids - Kylo especially, but Rey and Ben, too. And he hinted that the Imperials know something isn't being said about why Jaina took that time away; I'm worried he might know about Rian and Roan.

If they hadn't been at a diplomatically-sensitive party, Mara would've killed Snoke and Hux then and there - she settled for raging internally.

After she clamped down on her fury, Mara replied, I don't trust him, either. But I suppose someone could've leaked the intel about Jaina's boys - it's not like we exactly sealed the wedding airtight, and there's probably some degree of intel seepage between the Remnant and the Fels.

Luke looked troubled at that, but brightened a bit when a younger Imperial officer in dress olives walked in - with an odd entourage.

The brown-haired young officer gave the Skywalkers a tip-salute, as Ewoks in stormtrooper armor flanked him - and a boy about Valin Horn's age, with closely-cropped brown and white hair, wearing red and black armor, with a lightsaber hilt on his belt, joined him, alert and quiet.

"Chak! It's good to see you," Luke greeted, shaking Chak Fel's hand before looking at the Ewoks with amazement, and glancing at the boy, whom Mara noted was Force-sensitive. "You're still making quite the impression. How's your family?"

"Doing well, Master Skywalker - thanks to you and yours, and your taking care of certain members of the family," Chak said with good humor, smiling as Danni Quee - AKA Cherith Fel - lit up for a moment when she saw Chak and whom was certainly a younger brother.

The young Force-sensitive Fel stepped forward and saluted Luke and Mara, then said, "Masters Skywalker. I'm Cem Fel, Squire of the Imperial Knights. Our baron father and lady mother, Soontir and Wynssa Fel, ask that you'd join them on Csilla as soon as possible."

IMPERIAL Knights? Mara asked, giving Luke a glance - he was taken aback, too, but far less wary than she was, as usual.

Luke gave her his best "Farmboy" smile and thought, Maybe Evlyn Tabory took our advice and formed an Imperial-loyal order?

Hope just springs eternal with you, doesn't it, Farmboy?
    Mara sighed inwardly - but having an invite into Chiss space did bode well.

If nothing else, maybe that means things won't be as crazy as they were when we came here ...

to be continued ...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Woot, looking forward to the time with the Fels family.

Pellaeon is wonderful, a voice of candor and sensibility.

Hux and Snoke give me the major league creeps! :eek:

Love this:
    "fake-kindness-then-KILL-THE-SCUMBAG-LATER smile" [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Wriggles! That's the Mara we know and LOVE. May she never change. ^:)^
    [face_mischief]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  18. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    A/N: Apologies ... I keep saying I'm going to finish this, and I never get around to it. [face_blush]

Still going to take a crack at it, though. And. to that end, a perspective I've not often written from ...

27.10 ABY: Csilla,
    Chiss Ascendancy:

After the hamfisted attempt by some of the more anti-human Ruling Families to hijack the Jedi visit, Wynssa made a simple call.

It was quiet; just a few bits of family code - Fel family, not Nuruodo - and she would not be denied this simple few moments.

I've given up so very much. I want my children home when they're within reach, she thought, waiting for those of her children who could come.

(Jagged, of course, was with Han and Leia Solo and their mission, and Wynssa wished him nothing but good, for all his frustrating behavior.)

I wasn't ready to be a grandmother ... but there is a Solo-Fel child, even if he's being raised under less than ideal conditions, in my opinion, she thought, her wry smile turning gentle as she looked at the latest holo of Roan that Jaina had sent along. The little boy was growing fast, and well.

Wynssa smiled a moment more as she saw Roan beside his fraternal twin, Rian - the other child, she had no issues with. He was innocent.

Jagged STILL should have found a way to marry Jaina, though, the Baroness Fel thought, viewing Jaina and Ganner with frustration.

I've visited Teyr. Xenophobic, uneven distribution of technology through the population, crazed Force-eating MONSTERS ...

Wynssa shivered a little, hoping Jaina wouldn't settle on Teyr with her hot-headed Jedi husband. Roan deserved to grow up in civilization.

Still, Rhysode's been a good husband and father. Roan could do far worse as far as having a stepfather, she admitted, smiling a bit.

Yes, Wynssa had played political games with her children, politely suggesting to Cherith - Danni - to at least consider Jacen Solo when he was a bit older. And Jaina would've been a perfect foil for Jagged's - devotion - to duty, as well as a gifted pilot in her own right.

But the girl - young woman - has her parents' stubbornness. And Leia's iconoclastic tendencies. For someone who wanted to 'restore the Republic,' the Princess never bothered to think of what she was tearing down in her idealism, the lives she ruined, Wynssa thought angrily.

She sighed; she knew she was being petty. Once, Wynssa Starflare had commanded the hearts of trillions in Holonet productions.

And now? I'm stuck on either a jungle world or an iceball, depending on where I run to support my husband and family, she reflected.

It wasn't "second place," Wynssa thought; Soontir NEVER treated her as "second class" or property. They were partners.

But falling from fame and continuing to get wary looks from near-humans - yes, it was an ugly resentment, but at least she admitted it.

Blonde jokes were tiresome when I was in the Core. To find it a deep SLUR from the Chiss - yes, I resent them for it! Wynssa raged.

She composed herself, sitting in the window of the Fel compound solar, and smiled sincerely as her children began to arrive.

"M'Lady," Cem said, bowing with superb manners before Wynssa hugged him - he was growing up so fast, and so strong in the Force.

(She tried not to ponder the fate of Jagged's twin sister, left far away on a terribly backward world, at Thrawn's resented command.)

"Cem!!" Wyn exclaimed, running to hug her younger brother - younger only by a year, but such difference. Still, Cem did get along with Wyn, which mattered deeply to their mother - she knew her children would have rivalries and spats, but at the end, they also only had each other.

We continue to prove ourselves to our adopted culture. At the end of the day, we only have each other, Wynssa sighed inwardly.

She set aside her musings and resentments for the moment, smiling more as Chak arrived, ruffling Cem's hair and hugging Wyn, and allowed herself a true smile as Cherith walked in, looking around with a bit of awe and relief. Wynssa hugged Chak, then headed to Cherith.

The young woman relaxed a bit more, gratitude and relief obvious from her as she clung to Wynssa for a long while.

"It's been so very hard, hasn't it?" Wynssa asked, just standing with Cherith - who'd gone so deep under cover as "Danni Quee," so far into the heart of the Jedi, even if the Jedi weren't necessarily evil, just hopelessly deluded and divided and foot-dragging until recently.

"Keeping the distance needed to work with them? Yeah. It's like you said - people individually can be good, well-meaning. But get them in a group and feed them an ideology, a belief that they're right, and ... but sometimes, a nudge here or there can help," Cherith said, smiling now.

Wynssa nodded; unlike some among the Chiss, she didn't see the Jedi as deserving extermination. But their powers and dogma made them a potent force - no pun intended - and the old Order's blindness to the needs of the individual, and fear of dissent, had made them wrong.

"Skywalker, himself, means well, as you say. But I do see some hope; Braddock - for all the difficulty her past presents, especially for how much we can risk revealing to the Jedi - questions, poses new viewpoints. As did Anakin Solo," Wynssa said, a bit saddened now.

Cherith looked conflicted, all of a sudden, and a suspicion flared in Wynssa, but she also told her elder daughter, "Don't tell me. I, after all, know the importance of secrets - and if, somehow, young Solo survived Myrkr, then he must be doing something critical."

"Trust me, Cherith, I may not like the Jedi's occasional headstrong bull-gornt behavior. But secrets? Those, I can respect."

to be continued ...

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Unique and realistic musings from Wynnsa. She has strong perceptions but you can tell she cares about her family. :)

20. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    A/N: At last - another update! :D

27.11 ABY: Dagobah:

Anakin and Tahiri raced through the gnarltrees, faintly reminiscent of their childhood visit, but bloodier, this time.

The recent victories against the Yuuzhan Vong - the feint at Duro, the taking of Fondor and securing of Thyferra and Yag'Duhl - had given the pair a bit of a breather. Despite their survival's knowledge being common among the military, though, they'd kept a low profile sinc Ebaq 9, not wanting to tip off the Yuuzhan Vong high command too soon.

Still, taking a break had proven helpful for their mental states - until they'd sensed the Vongsense-scent of blood and fighting.

Who'd known we were coming here? Tahiri wondered over their Force-bond as they ducked behind a gnarltree.

Not many people, that's for sure - but the ones who found us need help, Anakin thought back, pointing.

There were Shamed Ones here - being pursued by a tsik vai, one of the small Yuuzhan Vong fliers, filled with warriors. More than a few of the lowest-caste Yuuzhan Vong were already dead, and the remainder weren't likely to last long.

Tahiri blinked at the outrage that flowed over her bond from Anakin, and he grinned at her with embarrassment. Sorry. It's just - somehow, it feels sacreligious, somehow, for the Yuuzhan Vong to be here. Besides you, of course, he thought.

Tahiri just rolled her eyes and kissed his temple - typically awkward Anakin, but she understood what he meant.

C'mon, dummy. This fight needs evening up, and we need answers, she thought, unhooking her lightsaber.

The warriors barely managed to reach the ground before Tahiri launched herself at them, Anakin covering the ground.

The Shamed Ones watched them, awed, as the pair leapt into the fight, scattering the warriors with Tahiri's acrobatic semi-Ataru-like flips, leaps, and dodges, and Anakin's powerful, yet precise sweeps and charges on the ground. Within moments, there were barely any survivors left among the warriors, and a particularly feral snarl came from the tsik vai.

I think they figured out there's Jedi down here, Anakin quipped, knowing he was being flippant but feeling confident.

As usual since Yavin, Tahiri was more measured in her attitude toward the fight. She still gave Anakin an annoyed green-eyed stare, and a rather nasty-sounding bit of Yuuzhan Vong invective rolled over their Force-bond, ending with Riina.

THAT worried Anakin.

Ever since the bizarre events where Bangor, Tahiri's bantha, had gained his teleportation powers, 'Ri had seemed over her conflicting personae, the Jedi girl and the female Vong warrior forming a mental synthesis. (It hadn't hurt that Bangor's return to Tahiri's life had greatly strengthened Tahiri's comfort with her new identity.)

Warmth rolled back to Anakin as Tahiri blushed, thinking, It's not always a perfect fit, 'Kin. But I'm OK - sorry to scare you.

As long as you're OK, I'm good, 'Ri. Sorry I was being so arrogant, Anakin replied - he should know better, after Myrkr.

Tahiri's grin and renewed confidence gave him all the strength he needed. They watched as a particularly large member of the hunting party, with cross-hatched scars on his face, noticed the Jedi with a keen stare, and his lackeys tensed.

"The jeedai-who-was-shaped ... and the dreaded Aa'hnekin Szolo. Alive. Well, at least until we see whether we can complete your journey to the gods, warrior," the subaltern rumbled in heavily-accented Basic, grinning with anticipation.

"SILENCE your contempt, brenzlit! The Jeedai have smote your unworthy hunting vua'sa, and they will smite YOU as well!" one of the Shamed Ones - a male, whose face was like an open wound - spouted, and Anakin tried not to sigh.

Seems like I'm not the only one who could use some lessons in avoiding overconfidence, he started to think.

That was when the usually-unarmed tsik vai grew a yorik-ket plasma cannon, that turned to the Shamed Ones.

Anakin barely had time to register what was going to happen, but the surviving Shamed Ones shouted with defiance.

The subaltern just smirked as the first burst of superheated rock flew toward the Shamed Ones, but Anakin concentrated.

If it'd been any larger, the blast would've shoved through Anakin's hasty telekinetic blast; as it was, he barely managed to scatter the burst, sending flaming rocks flying across the clearing and lighting small fires where they landed. The warriors took advantage of the distraction, and Tahiri shrieked in Yuuzhan Vong as she raced to defend the Shamed Ones.

Anakin ran to her side, but the warriors who'd held back had learned from their fallen comrades' hastiness. They still fell to the Jedis' combined, practiced defense, but Anakin and Tahiri both suffered a few scratches - thankfully, not poisonous (GADF's medical staff had created a time-release antivenom that covered most of the amphistaff's known toxins, so it wasn't as if the young nearly-Knights were undefended).

The subaltern was the last one standing, and waved the tsik vai off - at least, until Anakin hurled a thermal detonator at it. The craft's port wing erupted in flame, and it wobbled off into the gnarltrees as Anakin and Tahiri faced the subaltern.

"ABOMINATION! And FOOL! I will -" the subaltern roared, his random lashing out staggering both of the tired Jedi.

They watched, shocked, as the wounded Shamed One who'd called the subaltern a brenzlit seize the warrior's own amphistaff and stab him with it. The male Shamed One nodded, stumbling - he was clearly wounded, too.

Anakin helped him to sit down, making sure Tahiri was OK, and she nodded, kneeling beside the Shamed One. "We can't rest for long. If they brought one tsik vai, there'll be more," she said, giving the Shamed One her canteen.

He sipped from it with gratitude, but coughed, replying, "It - matters not, Jeedai-Who-Was-Shaped. You and - kaff - the Khapet-al'Yun must be warned. The Jeedai Heresy remains strong, but Shimmra is scouring Yuuzhan'tar, both for our defiance, and for rumors of a - kak - rumbling of old, deeper heresy. Zonama Sekot has been found, they claim."

THAT drew Anakin and Tahiri's attention. Uncle Luke's expedition found something?! Anakin hoped.

He hadn't been opposed to looking for the reputed "living world" tied to the Yuuzhan Vong's origins, but Anakin had thought sending more than one of the Skywalkers was a bad idea. His cousins needed to have at least one parent survive the war, and if something went wrong, losing Luke and Mara would devastate the kids - and the wider Jedi Order, too.

Uncle Luke may not get everything right - Myrkr proved THAT - but he's still my uncle, Anakin thought.

"I am - Hul Qat. I was a hunter before - hak - my shaming; a failed escalation. I joined the Jeedai Heresy after the stories of the Well of the World Brain - the Ganner, and his Stand, reignited the flames of belief. That, and knowing you had survived coming near to death ... but forgive me. The - bhk - Prophet would be angered with me," the Shamed One said.

Tahiri's eyes narrowed, while Anakin asked, "Hul Qat, who's this 'Prophet'? What about Kunra and Niirit?"

"They live; Niirit's brother, Shoon-Mi, brought the Prophet to the Shamed Ones. The Prophet claimed knowledge of the Jeedai, that you had survived AGAIN, after your disappearance in the chaos after - GHAG - the Warmaster's death," Hul Quat said, his breath growing ragged.

He won't last long, Tahiri thought, and Anakin knelt at Hul Qat's other side, wishing he could help him. Anakin couldn't help but think this was his fault, in a way; he'd killed Tsavong Lah at Ebaq 9, while rescuing Ganner, Lowie and Tesar.

The Shamed One smiled hideously, but kindly, at the Jedi, and whispered, "I die blessed by your presence. Thank you."

With that, he was gone, and Anakin wiped at dust in his eyes while Tahiri closed Hul Qat's eyes, whispering something. She met Anakin's grim gaze and thought, SOMEONE'S manipulating people we swore to protect, to borrow a Corran-ism.

Yeah. Think we should whistle for a big, shaggy 'port-taxi and go see just who's twisting our reputations? Anakin asked.

'Ri's viciously sweet smile was all the answer he needed, and they held hands as Tahiri whistled.

BAMF-A!

"Mon Cal, Bangor, please. We've got to organize a return to Yuuzhan'tar - Coruscant - and get some answers," 'Ri asked.

"SNORT," Bangor seemed to agree, and Anakin and Tahiri held onto the bantha's fur and each other as they teleported.

to be continued ...

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful teamwork and warm affection with A/T :) and now they're up to date with what's been found elsewhere.

22. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    A/N: Finally - another, LONG-overdue update ... but this one is a bit different.

I'm
    finally - really - in a place where I can bring this story to an end within another chapter. :eek:

Of course, that's not the end of what I have planned for this timeline; there's
    many stories left to tell - but just a bit further on this one.

27.11 ABY: Divinity's Reach,
    Tyria/Teyr, Colonies Region:

It could've been very easy to get drunk on all the Force energy running loose on Teyr, Betsy realized upon landing.

She'd landed at Pyre Folas, locally known as Garrenhoff, and cited diplomatic necessity to request permission to travel further on-world. The Pact, Teyr's multi-species defense force, had reluctantly allowed Betsy to take a teleportation gate created by the native asura species to travel to Divinity's Reach - with the Force powering much of the local technology.

No wonder Ganner's so strong in the Force - the very foundations of his homeworld are brimming with it, she noted, waiting her turn for an audience with the Krytan humans' King Jorran.

She'd called ahead to Countess Anise, whom Exemplar Kerida had mentioned as the head of the Krytan royal bodyguards, the Shining Blade, in hopes of recruiting Teyrian help. Teyr was the last stop on a long trip Core- and Galactic-Southward.

We'll need all the Force-users we can get for the strike on Coruscant, Betsy thought, standing and bowing as Anise approached with two members of the Seraph, the Krytan army.

"Lady Braddock, welcome to Divinity's Reach. It's an honor - I understand you've been busy these last few months, recruiting forces for the war effort against the Yuuzhan Vong?" the auburn-haired Anise asked as they entered the throne room.

Betsy nodded, trying not to be awed by the immensity of the chamber. There was a small walkway over a reflecting pool, set before a couch-like throne backed by a hill-sized stone with odd concentric rings carved into it - all of which were dwarfed by the vast, round space. The walls had many alcoves with statues in them, and Seraph at each entrance.

She refocused and said softly, "Indeed, Countess. I'm hoping to ask His Majesty for Teyrian support for the next phase."

Anise nodded, and Betsy bowed with her to a middle-aged human man in regal robes who sat on the throne, as a young, black-haired girl in a pink and white dress played quietly at his feet with a white kitten. The girl lit up when she saw Anise, but composed herself and curtseyed, picking up the kitten as the greyish-black-haired man smiled indulgently at her.

"Anise! And our offworld visitor - Lady Braddock, be welcome. This is my daughter, Princess Jenna," King Jorran said, and Betsy bowed to the girl, who smiled with fascination while Anise stood beside her.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Lady Braddock. Please excuse me and Mr. Socks - it's time for my mesmer lessons," Jenna said with gravity, leaving with Anise, and Betsy smiled after them before turning back to the king.

"Thank you for seeing me, Your Majesty. I know Teyr - apologies, Tyria - faces dire threats from within, but the galaxy could desperately use whatever aid you and your fellow races can spare. Even a relative handful of Teyrian Force-sensitives - magic-users, as you call them - could help turn the tide in the battle to come," Betsy asked, while Jorran squinted.

"I'm not unsympathetic, Lady Braddock. Our own native son, Ganner Rhysode, has struck well and truly as a member of your Jedi Order - as well you know, since you witnessed his Stand on Coruscant. But the Elder Dragon threat is a sizeable risk that we're only just truly starting to address. The recent peace treaty between ourselves and the charr is extremely tenuous. That said ... I've sent communiques to the other major races of Tyria, with your request," Jorran said.

He twirled his fingers, and a complex Force-effect rippled from him as Betsy tried not to raise an eyebrow. He's strong - strong enough to shield from me. I wonder if Force-sensitivity is a prerequisite for rule here, she thought.

The Force-energies coalesced into images of four beings - one of the rodent-like asura; a four-eared felinoid charr; one of the plant-like sylvari humanoids; and a towering, human-like norn. "Your Majesty. Rata Sum has gathered 100 of the finest magitechnicians and five times that many golems to spare for this mission," the asura said in a rather smug tone.

"The Black Citadel's gathered 100 charr warriors. If you want Yuuzhan Vong carved up, we'll oblige," the charr rumbled.

The female norn - whom Betsy recognized as Eir Stegalkin, the norn representative at Jaina and Ganner's wedding - smiled at Betsy, then grew serious, adding, "A hundred norn hunters and warriors have gathered at Hoelbrak to join the fight."

"And we sylvari have 100 of our best warriors and mages. All our forces are ready to take an asura gate to Garenhoff and board a shuttle to travel with Lady Braddock,"
    the male sylvari said, nodding, and Jorran nodded back.

"Likewise, a mix of 50 Seraph and a mix of 50 mages and other adventurers from Kryta will join your forces. I'm assuming you didn't just travel to Tyria on a small shuttle?" Jorran asked, smiling a little.

Betsy allowed herself a grin - this was far more than she'd hoped for. "You're correct, Your Majesty - thank you all for this commitment of your troops. They'll all be welcome," she said to the various Pact leaders.

She activated her comlink and said, "Glider of Decimation? Braddock. We were right to make passenger space. Tell -"

Betsy blinked, then, as the Force rippled - and she sensed a wordless, triumphant call from Mara, as her friend neared.

They FOUND it! Betsy realized, turning back to the gathered Tyrians and her com, concluding:

"Tell Mon Calamari that we've succeeded - we have Teyrian forces to help us with Operation: Take Back Coruscant."

to be concluded ...

caspian1a likes this.
  23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Fascinating assemblage of allies from Ganner's homeworld :cool: =D= A marvelous intricate bit of fanon you've constructed! @};- And definitely they will turn the tide of the conflict, with numbers and skills. [face_thinking]

24. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    WarmNyota: Thanks, but I can't take credit for the details - the setting tor Teyr/Tyria is an adaptation of the Guild Wars MMO universe: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

And, at LONG last - the conclusion. :eek: Yes, really - I managed to finish this.

There's some hints at the future, as well as some definitive answers - although all the details will have wait for future 'fics. ;)

As for the near future - a bit of rest, and then, a focus on a certain blister. There's a story with him I want to get back to, after far too long.

27.12 ABY: Yuuzhan'tar,
    Core Worlds:

As with most endings, when it came, the heralding portents were read - just misinterpreted.

For months since the Battle of Ebaq 9, the Yuuzhan Vong had been nursing their wounds, escalating as many warrior trainees as possible into service, and relying on slave warriors to hold the garrisons on occupied distant worlds.

They'd been able to do so because of a suspicious drop-off in the number of conflicts with the so-called "Galactic Alliance" - a series of minor skirmishes that had been aggravatingly one-sided in favor of the heretics native to the galaxy who'd survived this long.

The new Warmaster, Nas Choka, was no fool; he'd redoubled the fleets around Yuuzhan'tar and other worlds key to the claimed empire, sensing that the uh'maans and the other native species were building their own strength for a final struggle.

The only question was, what form would the spasm against the Yuuzhan Vong take?

We ARE undeniably overstretched. Even using surge-coral to convert slaves into loyal troops, we can expect to find ourselves with potential uprisings on some of the fringe worlds. My predecessor, Tsavong Lah, was rightfully fervent in his war-making, but reckless in his execution; we lost the best of many domains' warriors, Nas thought one day in his office.

He was more - pragmatic, perhaps, in his execution of the Supreme Overlord's orders, than Tsavong Lah had been. Certainly, compared to the gifted Czulkang Lah, Tsavong's father, the son had been blinded by devotion to the Yun'o.

There is belief, and faith, and devotion - and there is obsession. It was ever too dangerous to say aloud while the former Warmaster lived, but he was headstrong in seizing the prize ... and I wonder if we stumbled headlong into a poisoned trap with him. Both by biting off more of this galaxy than we could chew, and of Yuuzhan'tar itself, Nas Choka worried.

He scratched a bit - the latest complication with seizing the capital of the former New Republic was a sort of itching contagion, nothing particularly injurious but certainly aggravating. The shapers had devised a salve to counter the effects, but it was the fourth or fifth such sign that perhaps the World Brain wasn't listening quite so well to the Supreme Overlord.

Crop failures, the maw luurs backing up into the sacrificial plaza, the occasional "failure" of the slave-control telepathic broadcasts and the resultant revolts ... the shapers say they can find no definitive explanation, that the World Brain seems to be healthy and cooperative. And yet ... Ja'acen Solo escaped the disaster at the Well of the World Brain, Nas pondered.

And then, he sensed the background mental linkage caused by the World Brain - shift, with surprise, then fear.

"WARMASTER! The far observatories report a - a new WORLD APPROACHING Yuuzhan'tar!" his subaltern shouted in panic, running in and bowing with his neck exposed in supplication, should Nas wish to take the younger male's life.

Instead, the Warmaster gestured for his subordinate to follow him; he was neither so wasteful of loyal warriors, nor possessed of enough of them, to follow Tsavong Lah's frequently-temperamental management style. "Details," he ordered.

"There was little warning, Warmaster. One instant, all the darkspace scans seemed negative, then there was a massive increase in local gravity - the yammosks are still recovering from the interference wave, and darkspace traffic is highly disrupted. The world appears to be similar to Yuuzhan'tar in size, but how it could have traveled here is very suspect," the subaltern explained.

The Warmaster crushed his panic, and the desire to strangle the nearest intendant for their caste's intelligence failure.

"Living-light image of the interloper. Now," he ordered, and the villip mistress obeyed. She had one of the special communications villips project an image of the world ... which made Nas Choka's eyes narrow.

It was beautiful, in its own way, green and blue and brown and white, life unfettered by made-thing abominations - almost. There were signs of small towers every so often, and lightning crackling far more than should be for a fairly storm-free planet.

That was when more hums from the blaze bugs drew Nas' attention - as darkspace rippled again, with made-thing ships.

"Enemy fleets - Warmaster, we confirm Mon Calamari design! The accursed 'Galactic Alliance' is attacking!" one of the tactical advisers exclaimed, and Nas Choka nodded; he'd take advantage of a strange planet showing up, also.

"Order Domains -" he started to order - but then, the darkspace reversion alarm sang again among the blaze bugs.

A different heathen fleet? The Imperials - ? Nas Choka realized - yes, there were Star Destroyers and TIE fighters. Many.

"We stormed the Braxant klekkets ago and shattered those uh'maan scum!" another of the advisers barked, horrified.

"Do not cower, you brenzlits! This is -" Nas Choka roared, frustration with his supposedly-competent staff escaping him.

He looked up again as the reversion alarms kept going off.

A mass of rectangular, unorganic, slug-like frigates and cruisers - Hutts! Nas Choka knew, having seen footage of the catastrophic loss of a Yuuzhan Vong fleet at the Battle of Nar Kreeta years earlier. The Hutts had entered the war.

A brace of two-tiered, circular Hapan Battle Dragons, both ones from before the New Republic had saved the Hapan fleet at Fondor, and nearly-innumerable other craft - a fleet hidden from Yuuzhan Vong spies, then.

And more - irregulars, mostly, but the remaining might of the free galaxy had arrived, a manifestation of wrath.

Yun-Yuuzhan be with us,
    the Warmaster thought - this war was about to end, one way or another.

To his underlings, Nas Choka boomed, "Alert the fleets and get me the Supreme Overlord! WE ARE UNDER SIEGE!"

"No, old friend - I would ask that you join us in
    stopping Shimmrra's madness - or rather, that of his puppet-master."

Nas Choka allowed himself a moment of shock as another living-light image appeared - that of a believed-dead priest.

"... Harrar? But - you and Nen Yim went to trace that abomination of a ship ..." the Warmaster asked, stunned.

Harrar nodded, stepping aside to let the young Master Shaper appear, hale, and she replied, "We have found ... evidence. Evidence that what we have been told of our origins was - while not entirely a lie - certainly manipulated, as have we."

"Warmaster, please heed us. For all our sakes - we must cease this war, bring Shimmrra to account, and survive."

"... the living planet ... the rumors were true, then? But the Supreme Overlord and the old lore stated that Zonama Sekot was a harbinger of our race's destruction! And you show up here, now, with heathen fleets!" Nas Choka accused.

Still - Harrar had always been noble, and Nen Yim, loyal to the point of self-sacrifice beyond even other Yuuzhan Vong.

"Warmaster?" one of the tactical advisers asked - but then, a horrific agony, not sacred but profane, swept over them all.

Nas Choka managed to pull himself free of the cognition throne, then snapped, "What WAS that?!"

"Warmaster - I - the communications villips and the war coordinators! They are not responding!" the villip mistress gasped.

Nas Choka reached through his implants, desperate to reach any of the yammosks - but all he found was that sick pain.

Something
    foul has seized our biots ... and I fear I know its source, the Warmaster cursed inwardly.

------------------------------

Space near Coruscant had erupted into utter, complete chaos - and Han, for his part, was absolutely loving it.

Coruscant ain't home, but taking back the galaxy is something I've been looking forward to for a LONG time, he thought, weaving the Falcon through a hail of plasma fire as he helped cover the invasion force's landings.

"Looks like everyone showed up for the party," Leia said from the comms station, and Chewie growled an affirmative. There were ships from the Remnant, the Hutts, the Zeltrons, the Bakurans, the Nagai, even the Senex-Juvex Sectors (although what unholy price those slaver scum would want for helping the fight was one Han didn't want to think about).

"Betsy sure did the recruiting thing well," Han agreed, bringing the Falcon in low for a long-overdue reunion.

He grinned as he saw the Jade Shadow land nearby in the moss-encrusted ruins of what had been the Jedi Temple, but Han also felt a measure of caution as a small army of Yuuzhan Vong - few in vonduun-crab armor, at least - massed nearby. Strangely enough, they didn't seem hostile, and he commed back to his passengers, "Local contacts are here."

"We sensed their Force-absence, Dad, but thanks," Jaina called back, and Han nodded, thin-lipped, but not out of anger. There'd been a serious discussion - as in, asking him and Leia to watch Rian and Roan while Jaina and Ganner talked all night - about whether both Jaina and Ganner should go to the final fight on Coruscant.

As Jaina had put it, "How many times did you and Mom leave us kids with Winter and go save the galaxy? We need EVERY Jedi we can get during this fight, and I had to sit out Ebaq 9. The boys are old enough now to stay with Winter for a while."

Somehow, it's different when it's your kid having to make the hard call about leaving your grandkids with friends, Han reflected, as he, Leia, and Chewie joined the gathered Jedi strike team in the hold. This particular group included Jaina, Ganner, Tesar Sebatyne, Lowbacca, Klin-Fa Gi, and a few others, as well as Galactic Alliance commandos and Noghri.

"Ready?" Han asked rhetorically - the whole war had been leading to this day, and the energy was tangible.

Jaina squeezed his hand, hugged Leia, and kissed Ganner's cheek, leading this squad off the Falcon. Han tried not to draw his DL-44 as he saw a small ocean of Yuuzhan Vong waiting for them - most of these looked off, somehow, from other Vong.

Shamed Ones, Han realized, managing a smile as Luke, Mara, Jacen, Tenel Ka, Tekli, Saba, and the other Jedi who'd gone to find Zonama Sekot approach - but he raised an eyebrow as a Yuuzhan Vong priest and shaper walked with them.

"It's a very long story, but they're our allies. Harrar and Nen Yim originally sought Zonama Sekot to destroy it, but discovered, as we did, that Sekot is the consciousness of the original Yuuzhan Vong homeworld. That world was devastated in a war between the proto-Yuuzhan Vong and some kind of droid species. Yuuzhan'tar created the first biotech which the Yuuzhan Vong used, and they defeated the droids before conquering their entire galaxy. The seed that formed Zonama Sekot split from the original Yuuzhan'tar, stripping the Force as we know it from the Yuuzhan Vong," Luke explained.

Han whistled in amazement, while Leia and Jaina hugged Jacen, and the other Jedi greeted the Zonama Sekot explorers. Lowbacca growled a question, and Han realized there was someone missing, as Jaina asked, "Where's Danni?"

You mean Cherith, Han reflected without anger. He'd learned from Jaina and Jacen that Danni was, in fact, Cherith Fel, and he hoped she was all right. Despite how badly Jag's relationship with Jaina had gone, Cherith-Danni had helped the GA.

"She's with her family - the former Empire of the Hand have sent a flotilla to help, as well as ... well, Imperial Knights," Jacen said, smiling weakly as he gestured toward a group of red-and-black-armored people with red capes flanked by Stormtroopers. A red-bearded human man with a grim look nodded toward them, while a teenaged boy with the almost-iconic brown and white Fel hair stood stiffly at his side, and Danni waved from among the Imperial Knights.

Han also noted a middle-aged Chiss male in a combat jumpsuit, twirling a seemingly-ordinary staff, standing near the Stormtroopers. He squinted at the Chiss, who merely half-smiled, but Leia's reaction was surprising - she scowled.

"You know him?" Han asked, but Leia just gave him her best "it can wait" look, as the Shamed Ones parted to reveal -

"Anakin! Tahiri!" Luke greeted, and Han hugged his youngest son and the girl whom Anakin loved, returning their smiles.

"The Shamed Ones are ready to go. We've got to capture or kill Shimmrra -" Anakin started, but Nen Yim shook her head.

"You do not understand, Khapet al'Yun. Shimmrra is overriding the usual hierarchy of command, ordering the warriors to attack your forces directly, instead of using the proper methods, and he has seized the yammosks to do so," she said.

Harrar scowled, nodding in agreement. "While such is technically within his right, to overwhelm the warriors' freedom in such a manner is highly unusual - and dishonorable. I suspect Shimmrra would not normally perform such an insult, unless he was being manipulated," the priest said, turning to another figure behind him and Nen Yim - an avian whom Han knew.

"Vergere," Han grumbled, and the Fosh gave him a fake-polite nod before smiling and looking at the Jedi.

"Much as the Jedi can conduct battle meditation, the Supreme Overlord can conduct control of the Yuuzhan Vong forces directly, especially when his power is amplified by the World Brain. Shimmrra's sudden rebellion against Quoreal coincided with Onimi becoming Shimmrra's familiar, although there are few coincidences in the Force - whatever frequency life may be accessing it at," Vergere said.

Anakin looked confused for a moment, but shook off his malaise as Tahiri said through gritted teeth, "We get it, Vergere."

"So who's this Onimi joker, and why are we waiting to go after him and Shimmrra?" Han asked as a shadow approached.

He blinked as a huge Mon Cal starcruiser appeared through the clouds, and Artoo chirped as Threepio called, "Master Luke! Mistress Leia! We are receiving a request to clear a landing area for Lady Braddock's contingent!"

"That's whom we're waiting for, Han - some specialized help to even the numbers so we don't just go rushing into a crushing tide of Yuuzhan Vong warriors," Luke said, smiling, as the gathered forces cleared a large area.

A huge pinkish portal opened, like the one that'd appeared during Jaina and Ganner's wedding, and the gathered forces watched as a crowd of differing, armored species appeared, with a familiar purple-haired human woman at their head.

"Betsy - you brought Pact forces from Tyria!?" Ganner exclaimed, blushing as several of the new arrivals applauded him.

"A thousand of them, counting the 500 golems the asura packed aboard the Glider of Decimation," Betsy said, high-fiving or hugging various other Jedi. "And Kolot's forces are ready to back us up."

With that, the Glider released a mix of X-, Y, B-, K-, and A-wings, as well as some oddly organic-looking craft, and the snubfighters started picking off anti-aircraft rock-spitters and approaching coralskippers.

Han grinned, ready to quip, until Lowie's shoulder fur parted to reveal a porg, which squawked in an oddly heroic manner.

"You heard the porg, people! LET'S GO KICK SHIMMRRA'S SHEBS!" Han boomed, and the gathered forces roared.

----------------------------

~As much as I appreciate Han's fervor, how are we going to get through the thorn hedge around the Well of the World Brain?~ Betsy sent - the overwhelming ground forces (and Forces, given the number of Jedi present) were cutting a path, although there were surprisingly few warriors, just natural menaces like crevices or suspicious fires.

She remembered the unpleasant menace of the thorns, which carried a potent neurotoxin, but smiled with welcome surprise as the plant-based sylvari mages among the Tyrian forces commanded the thorns to part. A Yuuzhan Vong shaper who'd been gesturing at the entrance of the Well to direct the thorns stared in shock, while the warriors snarled.

And then Ganner stepped forward, flanked by his fellow human Tyrians, as well as charr and norn, and the Vong gasped.

"Many of you know me - or my story," he called in Basic, his face grim at first, but he smiled as Jaina nodded at him.

"You call me the Ganner, the Jeedai who guards the Gate to the Lands of the Dead. I claimed the threshold you stand on."

"MY PEOPLE AND I WANT IT BACK. NOW."

The Yuuzhan Vong shaper's eyes were almost the size of Death Stars, while the warriors whispered, shocked. The Shamed Ones among the liberation forces were chanting with fervor - Ganner! Khapet al'Yun! Jeedai-who-was-Shaped!

Tahiri held up her hand, and the Shamed Ones went silent, their mental focus and anticipation clear to Betsy's mutant telepathy. The young Jedi turned to the terrified shaper and called something in Yuuzhan Vong, until the Well opened.

A green-robed Yuuzhan Vong prefect stood there, a look of fury on his face as he barked in Basic, "YOU DARE!?"

"Drathul! Stand down before there is more needless bloodshed!" Harrar said, stepping forward. Drathul's eyes widened in surprise, now, while another priest beside him stared at Harrar with joy, then shock as the clergy chatted in Yuuzhan Vong.

After a moment, the priest beside Drathul grew saddened, frowning at another prefect, who watched the standoff with an unusual amount of calm, and Betsy squinted at the newcomer - then seethed, as she recalled his mind-signature - !

Then, he saw Mara, and the "random" Yuuzhan Vong RAGED, "DRATHUL, YOU FOOL! THE SKYWALKERS ARE HERE!"

Drathul's ingrained wrath at being called a "fool" faded as he realized just how bad the situation was for the Yuuzhan Vong.

"Warriors - !" the prefect bellowed, suddenly choking as the newcomer started throttling him - and removed a masquer.

The gathered Galactic Alliance forces rushed the roaring wave of warriors, and everything went chaotic - but Betsy backed up Mara, Luke right behind, as they recognized Nom Anor while he threw the gagging Drathul aside and ran for his life.

"I know, I know - stupid to go for payback when we've got to find Shimmrra - !" Mara admitted, fire - LITERAL fire - dancing around her until she took a deep breath and focused.

Luke looked concerned, nodding as Jaina, Anakin, Tahiri, and a band of Shamed Ones - Kunra among them - backed them up. The attackers looked at the Well as a ghastly eye gazed back at them, and tentacles rose from the pool it floated in.

"Hey! Remember me? You don't like Shimmrra any more than the rest of us, right?" Jacen shouted, running in with Tenel Ka. The World Brain looked at him, and an intense telepathic exchange passed between the Jedi and the dhuryam.

"Go find and stop Shimmrra and Onimi. I will stand guard here," Tenel Ka vowed, and she and Jacen shared a warm smile.

Jaina laughed, hugging them both, then grew serious and waved the other Jedi and the Shamed Ones after her. "This ends NOW," she agreed. "Ganner's got the ground forces coordinated - let's get going!"

Betsy was entirely unsurprised to find Leia, Han, and Chewie catching up with them, as did a band of Imperial Knights - but so did Vergere, who was chatting surprisingly amicably with that odd Chiss who'd accompanied the Imperials. ~Leia, is there something we should know about the Chiss gentleman who's with our Imperial allies?~ the telepath asked.

Old resentment roiled from Leia as she thought, His face is older - but I think he's Thrawn. Or, at least, a clone of Thrawn.

Shock rolled through Betsy, but Leia gave her the equivalent of a mental head-shake and added, I don't have anything but my memories and a gut feeling to confirm it. It's not even a Force flicker, but Luke always says to trust your instincts.

Betsy nodded, still making a mental note to watch the Chiss carefully as their band emerged into a circular chamber, with many corridors leading off of it - and the tallest Yuuzhan Vong male she'd ever seen, with frightful armor, at one side.

His eyes flickered with rainbows, and the Shamed Ones among the GA attackers recoiled, until Anakin shouted, "SHIMMRA! FACE us, you stinking PLANET-THIEF!"

"You flatter yourself, Khapet al'Yun, to think yourself worthy of facing me in battle. Still, I am not so elevated as to deny you the glory of facing me - or my new chosen. SLAYERS! END these Jeedai DOGS!" Shimmrra boomed.

Warriors - bipedal, with skin of ebon, wearing Yuuzhan Vong waist-wraps and wielding what looked like claws on their hands - appeared from the tunnels other than the one the GA forces had emerged from.

Something about these new Yuuzhan Vong felt wrong to Betsy - twisted, unnatural - and then she realized ... they were IN the Force as she sensed it.

Vergere hissed, her feather-crest rising in disgust, and Luke nodded. "I'm going for Shimmrra - Mara?" he asked.

"As if you could keep me from backing you up?" Mara chuckled, her Phoenix-flame damped as she ignited her 'saber. The Skywalkers shared a smile, and leapt forward, while the Solos and Imperial Knights started fighting Slayers.

Vergere produced a yellow-bladed lightsaber from her robes and joined in the fight. The mystery Chiss leapt into the melee as well, using a mix of martial arts and staff strikes which left Betsy curious about his training.

I should worry more about my own opponents, Betsy admitted, dodging a Slayer - they fought surprisingly well.

"Elizabeth! Do NOT get caught in this fight! Your unique mix of Force and psi-talents can END this war - FIND ONIMI AND STOP HIM!" Vergere shouted, and Betsy let the Fosh take over her fight; tricky as Vergere was, Onimi did need stopping.

Still, Betsy cast a glance back at her adopted family, but Mara smiled at her and mouthed the word, Go.

~Understood, my friends. Stay alive, and we'll see each other after this is all over,~ Betsy sent as she headed down a tunnel.

----------------------------------

As appreciated as Betsy's words were, the Slayers were proving just a little more than Jaina had expected.

I'm out of practice - tactical coordination in a safe CNC mixed with stay-at-home mom doesn't keep up the 'saber skills, she admitted, still managing to end her foe and cast about - she'd seen Nom Anor scuttling around here somewhere - !

She caught sight of the wretched intendant slipping down a side tunnel and shouted, "Nom Anor's getting away!"

"Jaya - ! All right, just be careful!" Anakin yelled after her, and she tip-saluted him as she chased the murglak.

One of the tunnels led off up a spiral staircase, and Jaina kept all her senses sharp as the purple of her lightsaber clashed with the yellowish glow from the blaze-bug lanterns; she knew this was unwise, but Nom Anor had hurt too many people.

And if he learns about my babies - NO. That psychopath isn't escaping this time, she vowed, sensing the end of the stairs.

She arched an eyebrow as she saw Nom Anor struggling with some kind of a biot lock in front of a giant coral door. He turned, his hideous face somehow growing worse as he glared at her and snarled, "Yun-Harla's Avatar. Hello, Jaehna."

"Surrender or die, Anor. I'm through playing the Trickster - this war ends here," Jaina replied back coldly.

Anor's gritted teeth and almost-tangible defiance inflamed Jaina's anger as he spat back, "For one of us."

He reached for that disgusting eyeball poison-spitter of his, and Jaina raised a Force-shield - then, the tower shook.

Jaina's comlink chirped, and she slapped the on button, yelling, "Whoever this is, it's a bad time to be calling!"

Nom Anor was staggered by another quake, as Jag shouted over the comm, "Jaina, get OUT of there! Plasma incoming!"

"WHAT?! They're attacking their own headquarters!? Jag -" Jaina started, but the com cut out as the air grew hot.

Ganner - ! she called, hoping he'd find his way back to the babies, and Nom Anor leapt through the coral lock.

He gave Jaina a victorious smirk and called, "I'd retreat if I were you, 'Goddess.' This day's proving the Y'uno are myths."

Jaina raced to try and keep the murglak from escaping, as the air grew even warmer - and then, a green flash appeared.

Jaina blinked as a human woman, in a sleek brown and yellow outfit with a cybernetic right arm and left eye, looked at her, then Anor, then cursed in a melodious language at the intendant and spat, "STAB YOUR EYES, FIEND!"

"Been there, done that, uh'maan abomination. I'll keep the other one - die with the Jeedai!" Anor taunted, cackling.

He slammed the coral lock shut, and the tower shook - this time, with what Jaina recognized as dovin basals - while the odd newcomer gave an almost mournful cry, and the air became unbearably warm. "We have to go," Jaina said.

The cyborg woman nodded, an aura of power around her that reminded Jaina of Betsy or Mara - a mutant like them, Jaina realized - and a flash of recognition crossed her face. "Lady Mara's First Student," she said, with reverence.

"Uh - technically - we have to go NOW! The Yuuzhan Vong are about to barbecue this stairway," Jaina warned.

The woman nodded, growing severe, and took Jaina by the shoulder, replying, "Of course. Forgive the distraction in battle."

There was another green flash, and a wrench that reminded Jaina of Bangor's teleportation, as she and the newcomer returned to the chamber below - and the newcomer gaped with awe as she saw Luke and Mara fighting Shimmrra.

"Bright Lady - the sleepy-time stories were true - the third Grey sister - !" the woman said, joy turning to fury as she looked around - then, she pulled a silver tube from her belt, extending it into a polearm-like weapon that glowed gold.

Anakin cut down another Slayer and gave Jaina a glance, while his sister shrugged and sent, Don't know. She saved me.

An ally, then - LOOK OUT!
    Anakin warned, and Jaina spun as a Slayer lunged at her - his claws hitting her rescuer's spear.

"ANIMAL! The Chosen's bloodline will EVER be FREE - we Askani are sworn to defend them, distant kin or close!" the woman shouted, spinning her weapon and deflecting the Slayer's attacks. She launched a visible bolt of golden energy from the weapon that threw the Slayer into the nearest wall, and he fell, unconscious.

"Thanks for the saves - what do we call you, anyway?" Jaina asked, standing back to back with the mutant woman.

"I am known as Askani, the same as the Order I joined when I was a child. We are protectors of the timestream, and of those destined to preserve it - such as your aunt, and her bloodline, both here and on the homeworld. I was sent back to try and prevent that FILTH Anor's escape, but he will die in time - other Sisters of mine have seen it," the woman said.

Homeworld - third Grey sister - this 'Askani' knows about Mara's past!? Jaina realized, briefly overwhelmed.

She focused, batting aside another Slayer - distractions in combat were BAD - and said, "Mara and Betsy need to -"

Joy mixed with reverence crossed Askani's face before she shouted, "GET AWAY FROM THAT HALLWAY! "

She threw herself, and a blazing-gold shield, between Jaina and the stairwell, as it erupted with flame, smoke, and coral. The blast caught several of the Slayers and Imperial Knights nearest the door, but quickly dissipated.

"Bright Lady, that was close - forgive me, Jaina Solo, but having failed to slay Anor, I MUST ensure your aunt and uncle survive what is coming. Should I survive, we will talk as my oaths permit," Askani vowed, running to Mara and Luke. They were pushing Shimmrra down a side hallway, and Jaina gave them a quick Force-flash verifying Askani was a friend.

Mara looked amused, between blocking Shimmrra's amphistaff strikes, while Luke was amazed, but they focused on the fight, and Jaina turned back to helping Anakin and Tahiri - they were both OK, fighting back to back.

Jaina leapt into the fray, breaking another Slayer charge, but realized the numbers were getting ridiculous - until she sensed a bolstering Force-call, and heard the familiar P-CHOW-P-CHOW of her dad's DL-44 blaster.

"We got a little sidetracked - seems somebody's been installing secret passages since they took over the Senate Building, and the Vong like to try and cut us off," Dad said, shooting another Slayer as Mom cut down two, rather smoothly.

Chewie roared an agreement, and Jaina tried not to laugh as his porg flew at a Slayer, distracting the Vong. "Better late than never," she said, glancing over at where Vergere and the Chiss male were back-to-back, holding off Slayers.

The Fel-looking boy among the Imperial Knights glanced over, concern obvious on his face, and the Knight he was with nodded.

Jaina was impressed as the boy ran up the wall a bit, launching himself at one of the Slayers and hitting the Vong in the head with his boot, while the Chiss male smiled with approval.

Vergere, for her part, was holding her own, and Jaina blocked a Slayer who tried to stab the Fosh in the back. "My thanks," Vergere said. "I see you made a curious friend. From what she was saying, she knows your aunt, at least by legend?"

"After everything that's been going on in this war, Vergere, I'm not surprised by anything," Jaina tried to quip. She hurled a telekinetic blast back at another wave of Slayers, less than pleased at how durable they seemed to be.

We're beating them, but they act like they're made of vonduun-crab armor! Jaina worried, deflecting another blow. She glared around the room and yelled, "When will you idiots just GIVE UP?!"

The Slayers seemed to sneer at that - until Ganner, and several other Teyrian humans, charr, and norn ran in.

"My wife asked you murglaks a question. You going to surrender, or give my friends here a workout?" Ganner asked.

The Slayers snarled, but flinched as the charr SNARLED in a feral way, and several of the norn smirked in anticipation.

The tallest of the Slayers, though, growled something in Yuuzhan Vong that made Tahiri grit her teeth and curse.

"I'll take that as 'yes, we want to die stupidly,'" Ganner sighed as Jaina stood beside him. She was reenergized by his closeness, and they shared a grin - then grew serious, as the Slayers found themselves ringed.

The tallest of the Slayers glanced about, then saluted Ganner with his amphistaff, and barked an order - and they lunged.

That was when the transplas-like windows high above shattered, and furry, shrieking death rained down.

"Kolot's EWOKS!" Anakin whooped, and the Slayers vanished beneath Ewok commandoes, as more Ewoks raced in.

"How many of you guys came to back us up!?" Jaina laughed - the Ewoks seemed to just not stop.

"Yub. Thousands. Nub. We bring cruiser-full. End war NOW! EE-CHEE-WAWA!" one of the Ewoks cheered.

Jaina hugged Ganner, while Dad shrugged with his usual smirk and said, "Just let us handle the victory catering, OK?"

"HAN!" Mom yelled, covering her face in embarrassment while the Ewoks and other GA forces secured the Well at last.

----------------------------

Bloody HELL, this is taking FAR too long, Betsy thought, wishing for the hundredth time she hadn't left the others.

She hadn't been ambushed, at least - there'd been a few attempts, but Jacen was keeping the World Brain so busy that the immense telepathic entity's usual psi-static was diminished enough to let Betsy use her psi-talent. That allowed her to sense any Yuuzhan Vong who tried to get the drop on her, and she was doing OK - so far.

That, and there's a new mutant player on the scene - an Askani Sister, of all entities? Betsy sensed, surprised.

The time-traveling order of psionic women were devoted to furthering a benevolent, if close-to-the-vest, agenda that often coincided with the X-Men's mission of human-mutant coexistence. But it was the Askani's founder who made them fairly trustworthy - a cross-time version of Rachel Summers, the eldest daughter of Betsy's teammates, Scott and Jean Summers.

And since Mara reads and appears very much like a sister of Jean's - and there's the small matter of Mara manifesting the Phoenix Force during her pregnancy with Ben - the Askani could have business with her, Betsy recalled.

She emerged into a biot-bedecked chamber with thorn furniture, a hau polyp bed, and various amphistaves on the walls. Betsy recognized it as luxurious by Yuuzhan Vong standards, but didn't let the exotic scene distract her.

So, when a tsaisai came at her back, she was able to block it and spin just in time to confront its misshapen wielder.

"The shadowmoth. Little exotic 'Terran' woman, so far from home, so out of time," Onimi mocked, drooling.

Betsy arched an eyebrow, sensing Onimi's raw Force-power - as Vergere had warned, he was in the local Force, after all.

"What did you do to regain Force access?" she asked while they circled each other, anticipating the first strike.

"Self-sacrifice. The Yun'o CURSED us, stripping us of our birthright - or maybe that was Zonama Sekot, neither matters now. The end circles us both, and no gods will halt this meeting, wretched little shadowmoth - !" Onimi babbled, lunging.

Betsy side-stepped the "jester," sensing his strength - so, she decided to do what she'd done all war long, and cheat.

Her psychic knife plunged into the side of Onimi's misshapen skull, psi-linking them, but what Betsy found stunned her.

A bloody spider at the center of his web, she realized, finding Onimi - Kae Kwaad, pulsing beneath his "deranged Shamed One" guise, with shaper protocols and far, far too much information flowing past - hiding behind his shields.

Something abominable hissed among the complex Force-netting, and Betsy manifested her strongest astral armor, transforming her psychic knife into a full katana as jets of ebon HATRED launched past her, a snarl calling, ~FACE ME!~

~Kae, darling, I didn't get THIS far in life by playing to my enemy's strengths. And I'm not nearly so pleasant as my fellow X-Men - or even the other Jedi,~ Betsy shot back, spinning her katana into dozens, and casting them about as psi-bolts.

The rapid-fire attack severed many of the silken Force-threads linking the Onimi-avatar to the enslaved warriors and other Yuuzhan Vong, and Betsy manifested another blade to slash the beast's ebon-crimson thread to a rainbow shape.

Can't puppet what you're not linked to, darling, Betsy mocked, sensing Shimmrra's dulled mind flail about, confused.

Onimi howled, as the local astral plane writhed, and Betsy allowed herself a grin - then, she gathered her strength.

Something like an immense shadowmoth gathered around Betsy, and she faced Onimi as he spat, ~DIE WITH ME!~

The dark stormclouds in the distance stopped pulsing with lightning, as the locale started to shrink, and Betsy cursed.

Mental implosion - he intends to take me with him. Well, I don't bloody THINK SO, she vowed - firing her strongest psi-bolt.

Everything exploded into white, as someone screamed, and Betsy found herself prone on the floor, back in her own body.

She slowly sat up, feeling like she'd tried to outdrink Wolverine - a mistake she'd only made once - and looked at Onimi.

He twitched every so often, but his higher brain activity was simply gone, and Betsy checked his pulse - strong, at least.

I do NOT want to repeat that again any time soon. I'd wager he rivaled Professor Xavier for skill and power, she thought.

For the moment, she just tried to catch her breath, and psi-called, ~Anyone from our side? I've got a prisoner.~

-----------------------------------

Good to hear, Betts, but we're a little busy - ! Mara thought back - she wanted to help her friend, but Shimmrra ...

Well, he'd started to fight like he was drunk, which was good for them, but also made the whole fight unpredictable.

And, then, there's my fan club who decided to drop in, Mara noticed - "Askani" was helping to throw Shimmrra off balance, at least, but she was too much of an unknown.

Luke and Mara backed each other up, knew each other's patterns, but three was a crowd - and then, Shimmrra yowled.

The rainbows in his eyes vanished, and he looked about, confused - then frenzied, thrashing about in feral chaos.

"Lady Mara - !" Askani shouted, gasping as the sharpened end of the amphistaff caught her in the side, and Shimmrra threw the young woman aside, howling as if possessed - or, maybe no longer possessed.

Luke managed to weave aside the amphistaff as it twitched and hissed, out of Shimmrra's control - then, it bit him.

"LUKE!?" Mara shrieked - they'd come too far, been through too much, for this to end this way - !

~Lady - your power - your birthright - do NOT fear it,~ Askani called, weakly, in Mara's mind, and she knew.

She KNEW, and the flame she'd been banking, storing, since Ben's birth boiled up and through her.

The Phoenix Force enhanced Mara's next jump, and she cleaved Shimmrra from clavicle to rib, dropping him at last.

IT IS DONE, the ancient bird-avatar of the Force rumbled with satisfaction, but Mara ran to kneel beside Luke.

"Farmboy - Luke - stangit, Skywalker, you hang on, you HEAR me?!" Mara demanded, holding him.

Luke nodded, struggling to speak, and Mara plunged into his Force-presence, flame burning away the poison as he and Ben had saved her, the two of them fighting off the unnatural, cell-snuffing substance and restoring Luke's health.

He opened his eyes, still weak, but alive, and wiped Mara's tears, whispering, "Thanks. Your eyes - like emeralds."

"Skywalker, you pick the absolute worst times to get behind my defenses," Mara laugh-cried, kissing him. She commed for a medic and put her jacket under Luke's head, giving him a wordless command NOT to move, then went to Askani.

The young woman was far worse off than Luke; the amphistaff had hit something in the time-traveler's abdomen, causing a wound that reminded Mara far too much of Anakin's near-fatal wound at Myrkr.

She held Askani's hand, as the other woman smiled and said, "I am ... blessed ... to have served ... to have aided ... you and your kin ... M'Lady."

"Flattering, but hang on, OK? I've got a few billion questions, and you - hey!?" Mara exclaimed, as Askani - shimmered.

~The power that sustains me here will not outlast my death, M'Lady. I regret that I cannot risk answering
    all your questions - but know that you ARE one of Jean Grey's sisters, your children WILL help save the galaxy, and you WILL be welcomed home ... in time. Tell Lady Braddock she, also, is destined to find her way home,~ Askani sent with mutant telepathy.

Whatever triumph Mara felt at getting even a small part of her past explained was dampened by the cost.

She just nodded, blinking as a rush of images leapt from Askani's mind into hers - distance, of millennia and light-years, without context.

Then, Askani's eyes closed, and she dissolved into green and gold sparks, an expression of peace on her face.

"... I'm sorry. And ... thank you," Mara breathed, finding herself holding only a small golden pendant of a bird.

A Phoenix, Mara realized, donning the pendant and slipping back to Luke - he was stable, and smiled as she held his hand.

They remained that way as Han, Leia, and the others arrived, and Mara took comfort that, at last, the war was over.

-------------------------------

When the Well was finally secured - and Onimi placed in the care of medics - Betsy found the Skywalkers and Solos.

She returned their hugs, grateful as always for their acceptance of her into their larger family, and Mara let Betsy psi-read the encounter with the Askani Sister. Sadness filled the British psi, but she shared Mara's happiness, also.

"To get a damn answer - even if it opens up a billion OTHER questions ... I'm from Earth. I HAVE more family - and you've already filled me in on so much about them. I know we've thanked you, Betts, but again - thanks," Mara said as they rested in a field tent, next to where Luke was getting some much-needed rest.

Betsy nodded, still feeling overwhelmed by the implications - and hope - of the day's events, as well as the losses. She glanced out across the field; the forces she'd gathered had helped the larger GA liberation effort, but they'd all suffered.

Still, amazingly, the Skywalkers and Solos are fairly unscathed - besides Luke, but he should recover in time, Betsy thought. Cilghal had rushed to Coruscant once the planet was secure and checked Luke over herself, even though the Mon Calamari Jedi Master did trust Tekli.

She patted Mara's shoulder, leaving her friend to await Luke's reawakening, and walked through the makeshift Jedi encampment gathered around the Falcon. The Solos had opened the ship up to their friends and family, and Betsy grinned almost ridiculously as she saw Lando and Tendra welcomed by Han and Leia, while Ewoks and Jedi danced about the fire.

Betsy gratefully accepted back-slaps and handshakes as she made her way through the celebration; she'd return soon.

But there's one last thing I need to know - one last person whom I have to speak with, she thought, finding - there.

Betsy stood atop an outcropping of moss-covered duracrete, watching the sun set, beside the Chiss man from earlier.

He nodded politely, smiling in a cryptic fashion; this close, Betsy saw white hair at his clean-cut temples. "A beautiful sight, don't you think? I doubt I ever really appreciated it enough," he said, offering Betsy his hand, and she shook it.

His mind was the most tightly shielded - but also most complex - she'd ever sensed from a non-psi, and she smiled.

"So you've visited the Core before, then?" she asked, and the Chiss chuckled, just a bit, before nodding.

"Rarely. As you likely suspect - as her Highness suspects - I did not get back often. Work, you understand," he said.

Betsy nodded back, raising her eyebrow as she said, "Jedi Knight Elizabeth Braddock. And you are - ?"

"Chiss Aristocra Chaf'orm'bintrano - Formbi, for ease of Core speech. I am an ally of the Fel family, among many other things," he said, giving Betsy a refined bow, and she returned the gesture.

"Indeed. Your martial skills are very impressive," Betsy complimented.

Formbi - Betsy decided to allow him the name, since she had no way short of brute-forcing a psi-probe to learn otherwise - quirked a corner of his mouth and said, "Your observational skills are quite sharp, Knight Braddock. You flatter me."

Betsy allowed herself a smile; she could play this game. "I don't suppose the name Earth means anything?" she asked.

Something - amusement? - crossed Formbi's face, but vanished as he said, "Does paradox prevention mean anything to you?"

Betsy almost dropped her jaw - she'd suspected she might have time traveled somehow, but what Formbi was implying -!

He met her gaze, steel in his jaw but kindness in his eyes, as he continued, "Yes, Psylocke - I know where Earth is."

"But - apologies to Master Yoda - 'If you leave now, help them you could; but you would destroy all they have fought for.'"

Betsy shook - all her suspicions were within reach - but she forced herself to meet Formbi's still oddly-kind gaze.

"Then - when I landed on Sernpidal - I am, somehow, in the past of my own timeline ... how is that possible? Reed Richards' research indicated all time travel is to alternate timelines, to prevent time paradoxes," she whispered.

Formbi said, still gentle, "I'm no temporal physicist. Perhaps your displacement relates to your revival?"

Betsy pondered that - Franklin Richards, Reed's son and the most powerful mutant on Earth, had placed her back in a replica of her original, British body after the assassin Vargas had slain her Asian body - then looked at Formbi.

"It's possible this body is - outside time, in some way. But I'm aging naturally - how do you know all this?" she demanded.

Formbi smiled, almost sadly, and said, "The Chiss are not crash-landed settlers lost on Csilla. We were engineered."

"For a purpose related to Earth - the KREE! You have something to do with the Kree?! I know they're from the Large Magellanic Cloud, one of the Milky Way's satellite galaxies, but the Kree only created the Inhumans - !" Betsy pondered.

She gave Formbi a dark glare, finally muttering, "Fine. I shan't muck up the timestream. But how long must I wait?"

"The last I heard, you - the you on Earth at present - had just left STRIKE," Formbi said, not unkindly.

The knowledge that he had chilled Betsy - she'd served as a member of Britain's superpowered spy agency, STRIKE, long before joining the X-Men, but that had been back in the early 1990s, and she'd vanished from Earth in 2007.

"... so a decade, at least. Fine - I can play kind aunt, and help mentor the Skywalker and Solo children. But what of you, 'Aristocra'? Why would you risk warning me? And - the Fels, they resemble a friend of mine, Rogue -" Betsy insisted.

She stopped, as the kindness in "Formbi's" eyes turned regretful for a moment ... then faded to distant reminiscence.

"Because we both have a vested interest in preserving the timestream, Elizabeth," Formbi said, smiling a bit.

"As for your suspicions about Anne-Marie LaVonne - Rogue ... well, time will tell."

And with that, he slipped away, the conversation ended, and Betsy tried to process what she'd learned.

Home. Within reach - just like all the answers, but barred for now unless I risk all that is, Betsy sighed inwardly.

She shook her head, smirking as she looked around, deja vu settling in as she looked at the wreckage of Coruscant.

"Oh, Rogue. It's just like you said - 'ya can always tell where the X-Men've been, by the mess we leave,'" Betsy quipped.

She smiled, more sincerely now, as she heard Force-calls and cries of greeting, and turned back to her family at hand.

The rest, after all, would come in due time - tonight, it was time to celebrate life, both now and that to come.

[face_party]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    caspian1a likes this.
  25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb and fast paced. Kuods on completing. A very satisfying and well-plotted tale! :cool: