main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO The Sony PSP & PS Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by ps2_jedi, Oct 12, 2004.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I suspect the NGP will get a new name by release.

2. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    So its going to have PS3 graphics then? cool. I doubt I ll get one ever though.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It'll actually be interesting to see what they name this thing in the end- do they go with PSP2 (or some variant thereof) to use what recognition the brand has (especially since everyone will think "PSP" when they see it anyways), or do they go with something new to try and break away from the stigma of the PSP (despite the instant association people will have with the PSP anyways)?

4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    While the PSPGo was generally a disaster, the UMD isn't exactly a perfect storage medium either. And its not like we can keep using the old storage mediums forever. Although the DS kind of spoiled all of us when it had both a DS card slot and a GBA slot, but eventually they got rid of the GBA slot too.

Most consoles usually had some backwards compatibility (the Wii, 360 and PS3) but it depends on how much new stuff there is at launch. So far this thing just sounds like a PSP2... but that doesn't really have much of a ring to it, not mention "2" to the "3" in 3DS.

I expect they'll call it Playstation something, but PSP wasn't exactly a resounding success... it wasn't an absolute failure either, but then, it was going up against the DS, but then there are missteps like the PSPGo. All-digital distribution wouldn't be so bad if there was more support for it, although something like an adaptor to play old UMD games would've been really appreciated.

It certainly sounds very powerful with nice graphics, but that's not enough, especially compared to something really different like no-glasses 3D (which may or may not just be a novelty... but then the Wii's novel motion control did so well everybody else imitated it). Just too bad the big franchises (Uncharted and Resistance) aren't being made by their normal companies, at least I think I read that. It could still turn out okay (as long as they get the normal Uncharted voice actors for instance), as the God of War PSP games have turned out very well, I've heard (gotta play them someday), but we'll see. The NGP can't play UMDs, but those of us who care already have one (or two) PSPs, so guess it'll depend on the exclusive library, not to mention how much digital distribution has taken off by then. I still almost always prefer having a physical copy, but it is kind of nice having older titles available on PSN instead of trying to hunt down a used (or worse, a new) copy at the local Gamestop. If it were every PSP game ever, that'd be best, but I doubt the catalog will ever become that extensive. If all the old games had a code for downloading a free copy off PSN, or at the very least a half-price copy or something lower even, then no more UMD would be more tolerable. I mostly hope Sony has learned from the PSPGo failure.

I was almost debating about buying a PSPGo to take on a trip, as there are at least several PSP titles on the PSN that would probably last a plane trip (Persona 3 for instance), but then I figure I could just buy a memory stick for much cheaper to put the game on and I don't need that much GB, probably. Whether the NGP works or not probably also depends a lot on the price too (like the PSPGo is more expensive than a regular PSP... and definitely isn't worth the extra price).

5. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Is it weird that I've started buying UMD movies? I got one when I got my PSP, now I have The Crow, the Cowboy BeBop movie, Resident Evil, and The IPCRESS File. Maybe it's because I can watch them in bed without having my laptop or something.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And with the use of the phrase "We'll be partnering with AT&T as the exclusive carrier for the Playstation Vita in the United States", Sony just killed another portable. [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

8. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    PSPitaBread mmmm...

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Pricing is also going to be $249 (wifi) and $299 (3G).

10. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    It took me 15 minutes and multiple readings before I realized the name was Vita and not Vista. :oops:
    I kept wondering why they were naming their new system after Microsoft product. :p

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's a Sony product with Nintendo functions slapped on that sounds like a Microsoft product..yep, that sounds about right.

12. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    The name had been leaked earlier, so I was expecting the name, but huh, never realized how close Vita and Vista were. And don't forget the touch capabilities, so they're throwing in Apple stuff too (although arguably Nintendo started the whole touch controls with the DS). Not bad price point, especially compared to the 3DS, although I hear people aren't happy about AT&T 3G. A lot of the random new features aren't really appealing to me though. The DS had a stylus at least. Uncharted looks great though, that might be worth buying the system for. Well, and maybe Modnation Racers. Sounds like they're still pushing for a 2011 release, wonder how long until we get a definite release date.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The touch screens are definitely more DS than Apple inspired- going by the demos they were showing, the controls are much more geared towards DS-style controls (although Sony's obviously not excluding iOS/Android-type app controls either). Especially since the PSP's fall from grace had much to do with the DS's rise in relation to develper's figuring out what to do with dual screens and touch screens.

Again, not dismissing Apple concerns (as iTouches and iPhones have been eating into the portable market), but it's pretty obvious the PSV is aimed against the DS/3DS.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Apparently Sony hopes the PSV to make a profit within three years.

While it's obvious they were selling at a loss, it does seem strange to have a 3 year point in mind for a system that will probably only be around for about 6. Lose for 3, gain for 3, onto the next system.

I mean, I understand they need to have it be a loss leader to get them into the market in a way to recover from the PSP, and I also get that the low pricepoint is the main psychological factor convincing people the PSV is worth getting excited over. Still...

15. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    It is kind of a... pessimistic strategy. I know the technology in Sony's game machines always cost a lot (although the graphics are usually worth it), but that even at the initial high price points, they were still usually selling at a loss. The PSV's price point is basically a challenge to Nintendo's 3DS, although I expect Nintendo is either breaking even or making a profit on their handheld.

When I was watching some E3 coverage on G4, one of the hosts mentioned something about Sony not investing quite as much in their eventual Playstation 4 either, which the host noted as an odd thing to say about one's gaming console. Although Sony has been having particular troubles with their consoles' profitability since the PS3, so that's probably why, but still, odd to hear that pessimism extend to the PSV too.

I agree the touch screen is probably meant more to counter the DS, its just that the back touch part seems more like an Ipod to me, whereas at least Nintendo's usually required the stylus (and I prefer it to just using my fingers), and as seen in the Uncharted demo, a lot of it was done using just finger swipes (which seems too imprecise for my taste).

I guess Sony must be really desperate to try and cut off Nintendo before they take over this handheld generation too. Nintendo's 3DS is already out but most of Nintendo's great-sounding games (aside from Ocarina) won't be out until the holidays and that seems to be what Sony is aiming for too. Of course, as you mentioned too, a strong start doesn't guarantee anything if they can't sustain the momentum.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it's safe to say Nintendo is making a profit on the 3DS- all of their systems have been profitable from day 1, and I don't see any reason for them to have changed their philosophy for this round (it's not like they're trying to catch up to a competitor, as the DS was clearly dominate).

I mean- it's not like they couldn't afford to do it, between the GCN, GBA, Wii & DS profits :p- but I don't think they would. I think the day Nintendo dips into it's war chest, the world will physically tremble ;).

The PSV's price is definitely a challenge to the 3DS- they realize they can't rely on just the Playstation namebrand and higher specs to take down Nintendo's hold on the handheld market (though, if they had looked at history, they probably should have realized that others have tried and failed with that approach) and can't be seen as the higherpriced alternative with more features than actual games.

Which, is a good thing- Sony's arrogance with the PSP and PS3 launches around that time would have shamed Nintendo at their worst. So, it's a good thing to see them starting to learn from their mistakes, even if their now still just essentially playing catchup instead of innovating.

It's just unfortunate for them that they have to now have a second loss-leading handheld system (the consoles are obviously loss leaders too) to try and make their mark (compared to, say, Microsoft, who took a hit on the Xbox to get into the market, only having one profitable month in that system's lifespan, and building off of that onto the 360 which was probably profitable either from the start or shortly thereafter (RROD issues notwithstanding)).

Sony being more conservative with the PS4 doesn't surprise me, either. PS3 had to take huge losses with it's rapid price drops to recover a place in the market, but for Sony it wasn't so much about getting PS3's into people's households, it was more important for them to get Blu-ray players into people's households so that they could win the HD format war over HD-DVD.

Which, in turn gave them a foothold around 2009/2010 when HD movies and HDTVs started to take off with the general public and really start to matter.

Your comparison of the backtouch screen to the ipod is an interesting one- I hadn't thought of that comparison. I think that actually makes it more interesting. :)

Going by Sony's demo at E3, though, I'm worried just how well their software is going to use it. They're trying to walk the line between casual and hardcore gamers, so they seem to want the games to be able to use both touch and traditional controls.

But, the problem there is, especially for a game like Uncharted- whose going to use the touch controls? If a feature becomes optional or tacked-on, what's the point? DS games structure their controls around touch controls or not. I mean, you'd think traditional controls would be better for, say, Zelda- but the touch controls for Phantom Hourglass are so well integrated and applied, it's hard to see it working better any other way.

The PSV needs to have it's titles take advantage of it's functions- not just be able to use them, but make them integral to great games. Otherwise the touchscreen is, at worst, equivalent to UMD or, at best, just one big start button.

17. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Anyone know what the new PSP E-1000 system is about? How is it different to the PSP3000 I have? It does look a bit shinier, but apart from that I don't know if there is any different.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, the PSV has launched in Japan. Over here places are taking preorders and I just read about how the memory cards (which many games will require) will cost either $70 or $120 for 16GB or 32GB versions.

That's... pretty ridiculous, really. Kinda neutralizes the whole price advantage thing. But then, didn't Sony do something like that back with the PSP's launch?

19. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    That's crazy! I can pick up a 16GB memory card for under £20 and they're wanting $70 for their cards? I did a quick look on ebay and found a 4GB card for nearly £50. It's madness, it really is. Mind you, with Japan getting it first how long will it be until we see cheap compatible cards?

Oh, and the new PSP? Took this from wikipedia:
    Announced at Gamescom 2011, the PSP-E1000 is a budget-focused model of the PSP which will be available across the PAL region for an RRP of ?99.99. Unlike previous PSP models, the E1000 does not feature Wi-fi capabilities and has a matte "charcoal black" finish similar to the slim PlayStation 3. Also, it will only feature a mono speaker instead of the previous models' stereo speakers.

So yeah, no point getting it if you have a PSP already, though I do kind of prefer the looks.

20. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    ahem... virtual boy.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I mean that they weren't selling them at a loss, not that they were financial successes.

22. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I've played many of the great games on the PSP, I have not purchased a Vita yet, as I'm still waiting on a Monster Hunter/Pokemon type of series to come out on the Vita, that is what handheld gaming does well at. Sadly Sony didn't lock the Monster Hunter series down so Sony handheld gamers wait in limbo, there are no good alternatives but to wait.

23. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    As arrogant as this question is, I have to ask does anyone watch tv, read books or listen to radio anymore? Anyone??

24. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    wow! Times sure have changed!! This thread is so retro its like a documentary. I bought my psp in 2007 & killed tons of hours on God of War, Grand Theft Auto & Monster Hunter. Midnight Club & Mortal Kombat also got tons of playing time. 4GB is so funny to see mentioned as enough space. I have a 32GB memory stick in my psp. The PS Vita is out now...not sure how its doing though.

25. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Has this thread really been dead this long? Although the forum move took up like half of last year (no offense to the staff, I know these kinds of things are complicated), so I forget if we discussed this on the temp boards.

Anyway, the Vita is... not doing that great, but I don't follow it that closely, but haven't heard that its been a big success either. The high memory card price is still a sore point, and while it had a relatively large amount of launch games, its slowed down quite a bit by now. It doesn't help that the 3DS is doing pretty good, I think. And in Japan, the niche market is still hanging onto the PSP I think, so that doesn't help matters.

Its only been the first year, but things aren't look great at the moment, and that's not even going into the continuing Iphone/tablet dominance.

Although I do highly recommend Persona 4 Golden if you're even a minor JRPG fan, its an enhanced port of the PS2 classic, with plenty of extras, and unlike Persona 3 Portable, its a full port plus extra stuff. Now if only they had included a TV out port, but they're probably either saving that for the next model (similar to the PSP) or it might involve some kind of display mirroring between the PS3 or even the PS4 (who knows at this point).