main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO The Sony PSP & PS Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by ps2_jedi, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Has anyone actually got any proof of that, or is this just a self-perpetuating rumour?

I think it is more of an educated guess than a rumor.

Assuming it has a screen with higher resolution than the DS (otherwise what is the point of the higher end PS2 chips), plus a motor for operating the disc drive, plus a more power hungary chip set than the GBA or DS, and there's not much chance of beating 4 hours of life without a major advancement in rechargeable battery technology.

That's not to say that can't squeeze more than 4 hours, but it seems to be a very unlikely prospect.

It's not expected to play for 4 hours straight, but what about 3 or so shorter increments during a long trip or while away from home?

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    From ps2_jedi's redirected thread:

MovieTrailerMusic: So this can play DVDS ?

MonaToral: something tells me the Ds, and what ever the next handheld nitendo releases will beat this thing off teh market

3. MovieTrailerMusic

MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 17, 2004
    A) the DS does NOT play dvds I have it

B) THAT DOES NOT ANSWER MY QUESTION

Does ANYONE ELSE KNOW THE ANSWER YET

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The PSP cannot play DVDs. Rather it can play DVD-quality movies on a different format(the little disc-cartridge things).

An EGM article a couple months back said that Sony Computer Entertainment CEO Ken Kataragi outright admitted that the PSP's battery life varies dramatically depending on the type of game. He said that a puzzle game could last hours longer than games like Ridge Racer. According to the article, Kataragi hopes to develop a battery that will last 13 to 14 hours. A little late for that, Ken. [face_plain]

I ain't gonna buy the PSP. Sorry, but 4 hours of battery life for a portable gaming system is unacceptable under any circumstances.

5. ps2_jedi

ps2_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2003
    ok The PSP Uses UMD's people!
    and the batter life is 4-6 Hours or so

6. ps2_jedi

Aug 14, 2003
  7. Darman

Darman Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2005
    I've now had the pleasure of playing both the PSP and the Nintendo DS... and I can say unequivocably that the PSP is far better looking, far more fun to play with, far cooler, far more mature... and it's going to blow the DS out of the water in the same way that the PS2 blew the Gamecube away. (And I don't mean graphical power.)

The PSP is simply fun. The DS is kinda chintzy and the graphics and display are nowhere near as nice as the Sony. They just aren't. It's like the PSP's lame kid brother who follows him around everywhere. "Scram! Get lost!" The 3D stuff reminds of the godawful "2.5 D" the old PS1 used to churn out. Blech. Don't wanna go back there.

And with the UMD for movies, and the memory cards, this is going to be used for way more than just gaming.

Whoever was crabbing about 4 hour battery life needs to think about actual usage. You're going to be playing somewhere for FOUR HOURS STRAIGHT that doesn't have an outlet nearby? Please! That's a LONG subway ride, friend.

And JP's right-- Planet Moon is gonna rock da hizzouze.

8. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I still giving the DS the edge. Simply because the PSP seems far to garnd to pull off what they say it can. And they when the makers say a design flaw was purpossly put in, I worry.

9. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    Nintendo has been the king of handhelds for many, many years. I wouldn't be so quick to rip the crown off of their heads. When the dust settles, IMO, Nintendo is still going to be the king of handheld gaming...no matter how "cool" and "mature" the PSP is. Look at how many companies have tried to beat Nintendo at this game. They've all failed miserably. Sony's system may last for awhile...but I wouldn't be so quick to pass final judgement just yet.

10. Darman

Darman Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2005
    It's all speculation, Leonard Shelby (p.s. have you remembered who you are yet? har har)... I'll give ya that.

But I remember for a long LONG time when Nintendo was the undisputed champ of home gaming... and video arcade gaming... Nintendo's never evolved quick enough to keep pace with their competitors. They're like the Apple of the consoles-- good merchandise, but not cheap enough, not fast enough, and not in the quantities they need to dominate the market.

And I really gotta emphasize, having had both systems in my hands, there's just no way anyone's going to buy the DS after seeing a PSP.

Kids might, and that'll account for the majority of Nintendo's business, as it always has, but the DS just can't compete with the PSP, either in graphical power, adapatbility/features, or game library. No adult will sink money into the DS when they could get a PSP, which is essentially a handheld PS2, with a hi-res movie player, and an iPod all put together. That's an extremely attractive combination.

11. Leonard_Shelby

May 31, 2002
    "(p.s. have you remembered who you are yet? har har)..."

Of course I have. I can remember everything before the accident...which includes my name. ;)

Hmmm...I see what you're saying...and you bring up a good point. I still don't comletely agree with you...but I guess we'll see how it plays out.

12. MovieTrailerMusic

Feb 17, 2004
    Willl the PSP have one of those power plug things

where you plug it into the wall & unlimited power ?

13. Leonard_Shelby

May 31, 2002
    An AC Adaptor? I don't see why it wouldn't.

14. Leonard_Shelby

May 31, 2002
    For those of you wanting to get a PSP, take a look at this article from IGN.com. They just announced the release date, price and launch titles of the system. Lookin' pretty good. :)

15. MovieTrailerMusic

Feb 17, 2004
    hey guys does the PSP play playstation 1 & 2 games ?

Gamestop started pre orders

So this week I am gonna go pre order the one that comes with the system & spiderman 2 / metal gear solid / & some other game

but does this also play ps1 / 2 games ?

16. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    No it does not. Unless they're rereleased like the SNES games on GBA. It uses a completely different format.

17. MovieTrailerMusic

Feb 17, 2004
    That stinks but hey should be good no matter what

18. ps2_jedi

Aug 14, 2003
    Willl the PSP have one of those power plug things

where you plug it into the wall & unlimited power ?

Nope, you have to send it into Sony for it to charge ;)
    DUH! Of course it would :p

anyways, I am short $100 from getting my PSP. (Pre-orderd from Gamestop) what about you guys/gals?

19. MovieTrailerMusic

Feb 17, 2004
    I pre ordered it as well with the following games

Spiderman-2

Need For Speed Underground Rivals

Grand Theft Auto

thats a good start dont you guys think

20. JK33

JK33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    I have never owned a handheld system, but the simple fact that the DS is $100 cheaper than the PSP would make me lean towards Nintendo...

...that and its reputation, of course.

21. MovieTrailerMusic

Feb 17, 2004
    DS has of course been out longer NOT everyone has played the PSP yet

Can't anyone give anything a chance

22. ps2_jedi

Aug 14, 2003
    /\ yeah. c'mon dudes & dudettes!
    give the PSP baby a chance!

23. OnyxJedi

OnyxJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2004
    Honestly I'm not excited by either new handheld. Hanheld was my last bit of 2d gaming goodness and I'll be sad to see it go.

24. ps2_jedi

Aug 14, 2003
  25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000